Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 Leader Herald
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  9:05:11 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
City receives initial 9/11 Memorial gifts

The Common Council meet for over two hours on Tuesday night and it's not clear what, if anything, they accomplished in the marathon session. The evening's agenda contained only 20 items.

On the positive side of the ledger, the Council did vote to accept the first donations from local businesses and individuals in the amount of $50,500 for the proposed 9/11 Memorial at the Parlin Library. The details of the donors and the amounts of their donations are included in the “Council Notes” section of this article.

But the rest of the meeting was filled with cross debates, accusations of political posturing and some unusual rulings from the interim president.

There were 16 members present when Common Council Clerk James Marchant called the roll in the Peter J. McCarron Memorial City Council Chambers at City Hall.

Ther highlight of the evening was the appearance of Mayor Carlo DeMaria and Mrs. DeMaria to present the plans for the proposed 9/11 Memorial in Everett Square at the Parlin Library.

The Mayor explained, in response to a question from Councilor Peter Napolitano, that the project is expected to cost some $150,000. The mayor said that he had raised $62,000, $50,500 of which was accepted at the meeting, and he had pledges for $57,000 more. The Mayor went on to say that the cost of the project would be reduced by labor donated by local contractors. The Mayor told the members that when he discussed contributions with the contractors, they all expressed a desire to be part of the memorial by donating labor.

It was during the Mayor's appearance that the proceedings took an unusual turn. First, the Common Council President asked veteran Councilor Anthony Ranieri to take the chair. Which in and of itself wasn't unusual, Presidents routinely leave the chair when they want to speak on a particular item. But, in this case, the Council President didn't offer any remarks during the discussion of the piece.

Councilor Ranieri immediately told the members that he was invoking the so-called “5-Minute Rule” because the subject matter could become somewhat lengthy and emotional. The 5-Minute Rule has not been invoked in the Common Council in years.

Then the interim president proceeded to interrupt Councilor Napolitano by reminding him how much time he had left. The constant reminders limited Mr. Napolitano's ability to ask his questions.

Mayor DeMaria and Councilor Napolitano will face each other in the election for Mayor in November. While each of the men cautioned each other about playing politics with the Memorial issue, the exchange between the two resulted in a discussion that provided more information for the public. Councilor Ranieri's heavy handed antics only served to limit that debate.

The Resolution was referred back to sponsor.

In other business, the Common Council wants to entertain the prospect of turning the old high school building into a vocational high school. The councilors pointed to the lack of vocational education at the new high school and the fact that there is a waiting list of students at the Northeast Regional Vocational technical High School in Wakefield.

The Resolution read, “To see if we can turn the old high school into a vocational school for the children of Everett and surrounding area children seeking a vocational education.”

The matter was referred to the Mayor and the High School Re-Use Program.

It remains to be seen whether the Department of Education would approve of the idea of a new vocational school; how much the renovation and re-fitting of the old high school building would cost; whether there would be any funds available to the city for such a renovation and whether there would be enough students interested in the program to justify it.

Council notes...

The Common Council voted to accept donations totalling $50,500 from the following donors: Everett Co-Operative Bank $20,000, Malden Transporation, Inc.$10,000, Capitol Waste Services, Inc. $10,000, J.F. Ward, Inc. $5,000, Schnitzer Steel Industries $5,000, Dolores & Alfred Lattannzi $500. The gifts will be deposited into the 9/11 Memorial Fund Account. The City will use these donations to design and construct the 9/11 Memorial project in Everett Square.

The donations of $37,500 from Columbia Pictures, Inc. were finally accepted by the Common Council, The donations originally intended for the Everett Park Revolving Account was amended by the Aldermen to be sent to the General Fund. Despite an effort by a small number of councilors to revive the Park Account language, the donation was accepted as amended to the General Fund.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  8:11:27 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was really so much going on the other night, it is extremely hard to put it into words. But when I first read this piece in the paper the other day, I thought that it was very oversimplified to paint Councilor Ranieri as the only "villian" in the proceedings. Don't get me wrong; I think that he deserved his fair share of the blame. But there was so much more going on than just that I think that there's plenty of "blame" to be spread around. I don't think that anyone covered themselves in any glory the other night, including those who sat there and said nothing. Just another low point in the history of Everett politics in my opinion.

If you haven't seen the meeting yet, I'd suggest catching a replay of it. It does appear to be posted on the ECTV website if you miss the final replays on ECTV. I still have my doubts that a debate will actually take place (but what do I know; my prediction about what would happen last Monday didn't pan out, did it?) so it may be our only chance to see the mayoral candidates interact with each other in a public forum.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  09:10:04 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Common Council wraps 2011; DJ Napolitano will lead in ‘12

If area residents had any doubts as to why the Common Council was eliminated in November’s Charter Reform package, all they have to do is watch Monday night’s meeting on tape on ECTV’s Channel 16 or online at ectvonline.com and it should be crystal clear.

The Council met in its last regular meeting of the 2011 legislative year in the Peter J. McCarron Memorial City Council Chambers at City Hall. The meeting was also the final session for outgoing Council President Sergio Cornelio.

The meeting began with Councilman Leo McKinnon shilling for the owner of a newly-opened trampoline farm. What this had to do with the regular business of the Council was anyone’s guess. The other members seemed baffled as Mr. McKinnon pressed on and asked such probing questions as, “Do you charge by the hour for the trampolines?’ and, “Please tell us about your birthday party options?”

Hard to understand how the Resolution found its way onto the agenda and how promoting private commercial businesses at city council meetings fits into the provisions of the City Charter. “The government of the city and the general management and control of all the fiscal, prudential and municipal affairs thereof shall be vested in a single officer, to be called the mayor, and in a legislative body, to be called the city council…”

Then it was outgoing Councilman Anthony Ranieri’s turn. He was trying to figure out the source of certain noxious odors in his neighborhood. He determined that the odors were from the City of Boston’s new Waste Materials Facility on Alfred Street. That’s the sludge processor that the city did next to nothing to stop during the Hanlon Administration.

Well Mr. Ranieri asked that a representative of the Boston Water and Sewer Commission appear at Monday’s meeting. The good councilman received a letter in response politely declining his invitation, explaining that the facility is licensed by the state and contains a state of the art odor containment system. The letter also suggested that the odor may be coming from one of the many businesses in the area or from the Mystic River.

Mr. Ranieri was obviously displeased with City of Boston Water and Sewer Commission’s failure to accept his invitation and appear before the Everett Common Council. But instead of finding out how his constituents could make a complaint about the facility with the state licensing authority, the good councilman chose to put the name and phone number of the attorney for the Water and Sewer Commission who wrote the letter on ECTV.

There was some actual city business transacted at the meeting. This was the last meeting of 2011, and, in addition to it being the final meeting for the Council President, it was the last meeting for four other members of the Common Council.

Ward 1 Councilman Peter A. Napolitano, who was unsuccessful in his bid for the mayor’s office in November, did not seek re-election to the council. Ward 3 Councilwoman Carly Smith did not run in November. Ward 6 Councilman Anthony Ranieri was ousted by newcomer Michael McLaughlin. And, Ward 5 Councilman William Cardello announced his resignation from the Common Council. Billy, who caught everyone off guard by his announcement, will be moving to Peabody.

Council President Cornelio presented each outgoing member with a citation from Mayor Carlo DeMaria and the City Council.

Councilman Cornelio was presented with a gavel and plaque memorializing his service as President for 2011. In his remarks, Councilman Cornelio said, “It was humbling and an honor to serve as Council president.”’ He also thanked the members for helping him overcome his initial apprehension about serving as president.

Council President Cornelio also indicated that Ward 4 Councilman D.J. Napolitano appears to have the votes to be the next Council President.

State Representative Steven Stat Smith was on hand and presented citations from the State House of Representatives.

Council notes…

The Common Council observed a moment of silence to note the passing of Lawrence J. Kelleher. Mr. Kelleher was a retired Everett Police Officer.

Mayor Carlo and Stacy DeMaria Jr. are hosting a fundraiser to celebrate and help support the Office of Human Services. They are inviting all residents and businesses for a Holiday Luncheon on Friday, December 23 at the 8/10 Restaurant from 11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. on Norwood Street. Any donation you can make will ne accepted and will help Human Services to help others who are less fortunate. Please make your check payable to the “City of Everett, Mayor’s Office of Human Services.”

The Common Council’s first Public Participation and Comment period passed without either public participation or comment.

The meeting adjourned at 8:03 p.m.

This was the last regular meeting of the Common Council for 2011.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  10:27:46 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny that this "Mary Chase" (ya right) is no where to be found, no address or Everett directory. I am so sick of anyone that speaks out on any "pet project" is subject to this kind of bullying, being harassed and abused. Shame on the damn papers that go along with "the root of all evil"..........the almighty BUCK. And more so printing anonymous "Letters to the Editor" I know they require name, address, etc etc. Someone must have paid some big bucks to get them to print phony letters.

From the Leader Herald:

I would like to answer a letter that appeared in two local news-papers, one headed “Letter to the Editor” dated Wednesday Sept. 5, 2012 and one headed “JUST PLAIN SELFISH” under “Letter to the Editor” dated Sept. 7, 2012, which was supposedly written by a “Mary Chase”.

Mary, I have been elected to this position of Aldermen in Ward 6, for three – two year terms, and hopefully the citizens of Everett will elect me again if they think I am worthy. My job as Alderman is to represent all citizens of Everett, not jut the elderly, as best I can. I believe I am doing a good job, I’m in my 5th year doing so.

I am sorry you’re offended mary, and I hope you will feel better soon. But you are only one of many citizens, and there are other constituents that do not believe that I complain, and are happy to have their Alderman doing his job by checking on the large amounts of money being spent at this time, which we cannot afford. If you are elderly, then you certainly know before WE buy anything we try and save and then buy, because life gets in the way and ‘oops’ we have another catastrophe like we need to build new schools again!!

As far as infrastructure that ‘must be maintained’ as stated by our financial experts, “so the people will not move from the city” , surely you know how many people are leaving Everett because they are being “nickeled and dimed to death’ with all the fees and taxes on our homes and businesses already.

As far as home prices being devalued, are you living in a bubble? Homeowners have lost value in their homes the last four years because of the ECONOMY, not because of sidewalks, streets, or infrastructure. That’s why we have not been able to take care of them. You save first then you spend.

You state, “the improvements are not affecting our tax rate, ” or “being no burden to the taxpayers.” Mary, this city is issuing Bonds that have to be repaid. So, it may not be a tax burden for you at this time, but it will come due some day and someone will have to pay. You and I may not be here, but others will suffer for our selfish acts.

And I am being selfish? Shame on you. Are YOU thinking of all those who cannot afford this spending spree? I am not concerned for myself in keeping taxes low, as I am “thank God” thrifty. I can live well and NOT ABOVE MY MEANS, which is why I believe this large amount of spending is something we cannot AFFORD at this time.

In ending this, Mary Chase I want to remind you that you forgot to send this to the Everett Leader Herald (Everett’s 3rd newspaper) which has been published in the city for 100 years, and only prints legitimate “ Letters to the Editor.” Why???? Sincerely, Alderman Sal Sachetta
Go to Top of Page

waterboy

101 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  10:53:30 PM  Show Profile Send waterboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep up the good work Alderman we will see when the new charter takes place and vote out of all Carlo's people so we can get this city back on track
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2