Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 Local Election
 Mayor Race 2013
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  10:15:37 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Tails. When I first read that about RVC, I said to myself, RVC isn't that stupid if he decides to run. I don't know anything about Janice Vetrano's health but I do know she would be a very controversial choice for anyone to have on their campaign committee. Most times voters have short memory's but if it has anything to do with Hanlon's Administration, they seem to never forget.

In my honest opinion, I hope many people decide to run next time around. Choice is good.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  3:38:44 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will say if anyone has any intention of running for mayor, they had better do it quickly and go like gang busters from now to the election.

Carlo has already begun to rebuild his war chest, which he barley put a dent in the last election.

From the Advocate:

The Committee to Elect
Mayor Carlo DeMaria, Jr.
Cordially invites you to a

FALL FRIENDSHIP NIGHT

Thursday, October 18, 2012

5:30pm - 8:00pm

Anthony’s of Malden
105 Canal Street, Malden, Massachusetts

Gourmet Buffet

Donation $250.00

Please join us in supporting Mayor DeMaria
You must be logged in to see this link.

For more information, please call: The DeMaria Committee at: 617-961-5100

PAID FOR BY THE COMMITTEE TO ELECT CARLO DEMARIA MAYOR P.O. BOX 490761, EVERETT, MA
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  7:09:47 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess he doesn't want us regular people at his fundraiser, $250.00 is a little steep for us taxpayers.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  6:52:10 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read in today's Leader Herald that Alderman Van Campen is hosting a Holiday Kickoff Celebration at the Silver Fox on November 10, 2012 from 6:00PM to !0:00PM. There will be dinner, music and dancing. The suggested donation is $30.00.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  10:03:15 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like he's finally going for it.........
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  10:22:02 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope so. He seems to be an intelligent, decent person, and a good family man.

Edited by - massdee on 11/02/2012 10:22:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

waterboy

101 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  10:41:03 AM  Show Profile Send waterboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Real Missed Opportunities

A Guest Op-Ed by Alderman Robert Van Campen

Over the past several years, the people of Everett have watched as our city budget has exploded; our taxes have substantially increased; our housing values have plummeted; businesses have left; our ability to realize meaningful economic development and attract new business has been virtually non-existent; unqualified political allies have been hired by the current Administration into jobs for which they are unqualified; and the same old political winds continue to prevail at City Hall. This is hardly the blueprint for a City to move forward.

The Mayor recently sought to place blame for his inability to make greater improvements to Everett’s infrastructure squarely on the Board of Aldermen for its recent vote against his proposed linkage fee program. He labeled this a “missed opportunity.” In summary, the Mayor’s linkage fee program would have imposed a new substantial fee on potential business development seeking to come to Everett, and would have done nothing more than further stunt our current inability to attract business and other development to Everett in today’s fragile economic climate. Unfortunately, the current Administration’s economic development strategy has left the old High School vacant during its entire tenure in office, has left the Revere Beach Parkway relatively undeveloped – excluding the concrete bunker that is the Restaurant Deport – and has Everett and Glendale Squares looking just as they did when this Administration took office.

Although the Mayor wants the people of Everett to see him as a strenuous advocate for his proposed linkage fee, during a recent community meeting held on October 17th at City Hall he spoke eloquently of the need to ease restrictions on businesses in order to “start creating jobs.” The Mayor’s comments from that evening are totally inconsistent with his desire to enact a linkage fee. In fact, isn’t a linkage fee the type of restriction on business that the Mayor believes must be eased in order to “start creating jobs”? My current opposition to the linkage fee is for the very reason that it would hinder business and other development, would likely result in a financial decision not to invest in Everett, and would therefore be a job killer not a job creator.

In fact, a representative of L. Knife & Sons – a business which recently announced it was coming to Everett, whose arrival in Everett has been heavily publicized and touted by the Mayor – publicly admitted that the imposition of a linkage fee would be considered as a negative in its decision to come to Everett. At this critical and fragile economic time, this Administration should not be advocating measures that make it more difficult for development to occur here, it should be advocating measures that make it less difficult.

The facts are striking. Since the beginning of Fiscal Year 2008, the City budget – including all municipal departments –has exploded by $35,430,146. This amounts to a staggering spending increase of $19,413.78 per day for each day since the first day of Fiscal Year 2008. In Fiscal Year 2008, our residential tax rate was $10.35 per thousand of valuation. It is currently $15.52 per thousand of valuation – an increase of more than $5 on the rate alone! In Fiscal Year 2008, our commercial tax rate was $24.61. Today, it is $41.66 – likely the highest in all of Massachusetts! Our inability to control spending and taxes are some of the real reasons why Everett is not currently moving forward.

Our neighbor the City of Chelsea is bustling with development opportunities right now – including a brand new Marriott hotel – and frankly part of this success is likely the result of Chelsea’s pro-business climate, as well as the fact that it does not impose a linkage fee. What is Chelsea doing differently than Everett to attract the multiple development projects that have occurred in that community in recent years? Although Everett did not get the opportunity to site Marriott’s new hotel – perhaps along Route 16 – it is likely that the Mayor’s proposed linkage fee would have been a detractor in bringing that type of development to Everett.

The real missed opportunities over the past several years have been our inability to control spending, stabilize our tax rates and bills; retain and attract good businesses; and change a political culture that has permeated our City for far too long. If Everett is truly to move forward, we must put politics aside, stop blaming others, take responsibility as community leaders, and collectively address the real problems facing Everett today.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  12:12:53 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go Robert!!

I love it & he's right on the money. Where was this printed?
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  12:22:01 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's from NoBo Magazine. It's an online magazine put out by Keith Spencer.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - massdee on 11/02/2012 12:23:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  3:25:17 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks massdee. I've never seen it but I'll definitely check it out later.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  2:46:39 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I caught up with a friend who works @ City Hall yesterday. Apparently the general consensus amongst the employees is that Carlo is running scared......... There are also quite a few that are ticked off about the union endorsement since union members were not given the opportunity to vote on that.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  12:20:30 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by justme

I caught up with a friend who works @ City Hall yesterday. Apparently the general consensus amongst the employees is that Carlo is running scared......... There are also quite a few that are ticked off about the union endorsement since union members were not given the opportunity to vote on that.

I know that local 25 has always voted and for some reason.....not this time. This accomplishes nothing but putting the union at odds. It's rather distasteful putting an entire union in that position.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  1:37:49 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tails

quote:
Originally posted by justme

I know that local 25 has always voted and for some reason.....not this time. This accomplishes nothing but putting the union at odds. It's rather distasteful putting an entire union in that position.

What it accomplishes is making Carlo look better to anyone who doesn't know he's manipulating people in order to be re-elected. We know he doesn't care if it puts the union at odds, he only cares about himself!

Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  08:41:29 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
VOTE!!
I won't say I don't care who you vote for but the important thing is that you do it!!
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  11:02:19 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I VOTED !!

However, looked like a slow turnout so far. I hope people do not have the attitude that their vote will not matter.....because it does!

"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
- Lord Acton
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2