Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 Channel Five News
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

card

117 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  04:59:20 AM  Show Profile Send card a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EVERETT, Mass. -- Everett firefighters Andrew Philbin and Tom Pietrantonio have been knocking on doors throughout the city looking for any sign of illegal apartments or code violations, such as trash cans without lids.

For the most part, Fire Chief David Butler said homeowners have been cooperating with the city's campaign to make residences safer.

In fact, Butler said homeowners who have not been home when the inspectors arrive have called the fire department asking them to come back and inspect their homes.

In the past three months, Butler said the department has inspected 8,000 properties. People have been locked out of 60 to 70 illegal apartments in which the living situation has been deemed too dangerous for habitation.

Mayor Carlo DeMaria has been at the head of the campaign that is aimed at making the city a safer place to live.

He said some of Everett's biggest problems with housing have been chopped-up basements meant for storage, where landlords are charging exorbitant rents. The basements have no windows and no proper egress should a fire break out.

"The bottom line is we don't want any tenants to die or any firefighters to die or be injured in a fire," DeMaria said.

Read more: You must be logged in to see this link.

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  10:01:51 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I'd love to see these illegal apartments shut down and do not want to see a tragedy, I question the legalities of the way it's being handled. Are the people mentioned in this article "certified" home inspectors?

I really think (since it's citywide) it should be a "voluntary" home inspection.....and not threats of $1,000.00 fines and warrants. That's the part that bothers me. If there are certain properties that are being targeted in this campaign, then do the right thing...go to court and get a warrant....for those particular properties.

I know I do the right thing. I keep my property good, and have my own inspectors (furnace, etc) every year. I know people that had one of the city inspections. They checked the batteries in smoke detectors. That's great, but I'm not taking time to be home for that and should not be threatened if I don't want this.

I also question the 60-70 homes that have been locked out. What are the addresses? I doubt the number is accurate.....just like cutting 53 position was quiet "inaccurate"
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  12:20:53 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tails,

I'm less skeptical of the number of illegal appartments that they found; I believe it should have been more. Maybe, it's just an issue with the way it was presented in this report. But, I don't think that they'll be releasing a list of them any time soon. At the Public Safety meeting where the program was discussed, the fire chief seemed reluctant to even give the city council a copy of the list. I can understand that, to some degree at least. But as I was typing this, I just saw a report on the Channel 4 Noon news that the City of Boston has placed a a flashing message board in front of a "problem' property in an attempt to shame the owner into correcting his issues. Different strokes....
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  4:38:22 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think they can legally demand entrance or fine people for not allowing them in. Are we really sure about the fines or is it just someone on topix trying to stir things up?
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  7:28:42 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is state law that they use, justme, that gives the fire chief to pretty broad powers to gain access to your home and doesn't seem to have a lot of restrictions on it. But at a recent Public Safety Meeting, the chief qualified it somewhat. The chief also mentioned some hefty fines at that meeting and the $1,000 fines that Tails references was in a letter that came from the Mayor that was included in recent bills that came out from the city.

So who knows? I guess someone would have to take a case to court to find out for sure.
Go to Top of Page

kittycat

66 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  8:31:32 PM  Show Profile Send kittycat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are all lying and probably lining their pockets with our money.
Come on. It says 8000 homes in 10 weeks and dont work weekends. All
numbers are highly exaggerated. It's all part of DeMaria war chest.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  08:02:53 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tetris. I wonder what my hubby did with that letter, he never mentioned it. I guess he didn't want to listen to me going on a rampage............. AGAIN!

I hope someone does test this in court. I understand state law takes precedence but it really does sound like a civil rights violation. (I NEVER thought I'd say those words!)
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  2:00:52 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by justme

I don't think they can legally demand entrance or fine people for not allowing them in. Are we really sure about the fines or is it just someone on topix trying to stir things up?

Letters were mailed out concerning fines and warrants if you do not allow them into the home. It’s also been mentioned at CC meetings on a few occasions. I don’t recall a solicitor’s opinion on that or if anyone actually questioned it.

I don’t disagree that “something” needs to be done…but I just do not like the way it’s being handled. My issues are - you have a home and everything is up to code………You have nothing there to justify getting a warrant and sending fines to people……but the city “claims” they have a right too?? NO, they do not.

I like Chief Butler but this quote bothers me too.

In the past three months, Butler said the department has inspected 8,000 properties. People have been locked out of 60 to 70 illegal apartments in which the living situation has been deemed too dangerous for habitation.

How is it physically possible to effectively inspect 8,000 properties in less than three months? What's the math on that?? Isn't something like 88 homes per day including weekends. i DOUBT it.

IMHO this entire campaign has nothing to do with safety concerns but self-glorification. If you read the advocate and watch the very short video from channel five, it couldn’t be proven anymore. Abusing valuable resources yet again for self-promoting (just like reverse 911) It’s terrible and no one has the balls to call the mayor to the carpet on it. Probably because most are bought off in one way or another.
Go to Top of Page

Randy

7 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2012 :  06:41:02 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Randy's MSN Messenger address Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad at least something is finally being done. This is the first I ever heard of this. You have to remember the elderly (alzheimers), hoarders, slumlords, illegals making private living quarters out of bedrooms(the tell tale would be refridgerators, air conditioners, hotplates, padlock doors) on each and every bedroom, drug labs, kidnap victims, whore house etc.. I sure dont want to live next to some disease infested house, or something that may start a fire and involve several homes. Out here in Florida, landlords would use this site, You must be logged in to see this link. and enter the individuals name who is seeking an apartment. This is something new and I wouldnt expect things to go perfectly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2