Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 Everett Independent
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  11:24:42 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I'm want to do at times like this, from dictionary.com, definitions for stabilize and stable:

Stabilize
- verb

1. to make or hold stable, firm, or steadfast.
2. to maintain at a given or unfluctuating level or quantity: The government will try to stabilize the cost of living.

Stable
-adjective

1. not likely to fall or give way, as a structure, support, foundation, etc.; firm; steady.
2. able or likely to continue or last; firmly established; enduring or permanent: a stable government.
3. resistant to sudden change or deterioration: A stable economy is the aim of every government.
4. steadfast; not wavering or changeable, as in character or purpose; dependable.

I beat Alderman Van Campen to the punch last week when I posted an objection to the Advocate's headline claiming that Mayor DeMaria had "stabilized" the budget. I didn't go the definition route last time but I think that it is clear from the above definitions that it is impossible to judge that the city's budget has been "stabilized" from a point of just over half of one budget cycle. As I posted in the FY2009 Tax Rate thread, if the Advocate wanted to say that the rate of the increase in the city budget decreased under Mayor DeMaria, I wouldn't have had any problem with that.

I don't believe that anyone is trying to deny that residential property tax bills going down slightly isn't welcomed but isn't it just as important that we understand why it happened as well? And did the Advocate forget this line from their cover story last week: "This is due to the fact that residential property values in general have declined over the past year due to the depressed economy and the slumping housing market."? Isn't that exactly what Alderman Van Campen's piece attempted to explain in greater detail? So, is the Advocate is also guilty of double talk and trying to confuse the public as well?

I think that it also says something when the Advocate did not even print Alderman Van Campen's piece, much as they have not done with all of his pieces lately. In order to understand their commentary, it was necessary for you to have read a piece in a hated competitor's paper, at least until we got both of them posted on the board. What kind of sense does that make? I guess that the Advocate wasn't very happy to be considered to be part of "a hollow public relations machine which has as its purpose the pursuit of everything but the truth."

With all of that said, it is impossible to deny the Advocate's statements about Mayor Hanlon's budgets and Alderman Van Campen's support of them. In the Wood Waste War of Words thread, I made an argument that Alderman Van Campen should be given a pass for now as to whether or not his handling of that issue is political or not; on this issue, I can't make a similar argument. If Alderman Van Campen does decide to run for mayor, I can see his former allegiance to John Hanlon being a huge stumbling block for him. And especially in this case, rightfully so, in my opinion anyways.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  10:24:36 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From this week's Independent (by Keith Spencer as I recall; I copied it from their web site which doesn't list credits):

Van Campen Mulls Mayoral Run

Alderman Robert Van Campen handed over the reins of the Board of Aldermen (BOA) at the December 22nd meeting after a year of tense moments and pressing issues. As he prepares to exit his presidency, Alderman Van Campen took the time to speak about the issues of 2008, what’s ahead, and his future in Everett politics.

Van Campen understood the pressure of the office when he took over as Board of Alderman president one year ago. He previously served in the same position in 2004, and has consistently led the board on a number of issues. When a fellow alderman, Carlo DeMaria, took office as mayor in the same month, Van Campen called upon the new administration to make tougher cuts and get a handle on the city’s inflated budget and personnel.

Throughout his term, Van Campen led the charge on several issues he believed would seriously impact the financial future of the city. Van Campen, like DeMaria, called for a tighter budget and consolidation at City Hall in order to cut costs.

“When the mayor took office, I consistently called for a reduction in the size of our city government,” said Van Campen. “While the mayor has made some movement on the issue, I have not necessarily agreed with the choices implemented to achieve this goal. Let’s face it, the city’s budget saw an $8 million increase.”

Van Campen expressed concern that a lack of fiscal responsibility in FY ‘09 will certainly lead to deeper cuts as the looming financial crisis takes grip of the state. Cuts in local, state, and federal aid are sure to have dire effects in the coming months and years.

“At this point, a cut in local aid is probably inevitable,” said Van Campen. “We are going to be looking at some serious shortfalls as FY ‘10 approaches. Without a doubt, it will directly affect the residents of our community. Preventative steps could have been taken.”

A complacent City Council often left Van Campen as the lone politician, challenging the administration on other issues during the year. Van Campen called upon DeMaria to make additional cuts, and was the only alderman to oppose the budget. Van Campen also suggested throughout the year that the mayor’s proposed consolidation moves weren’t in the best interest of the city, even questioning the legality of several moves by the administration.

“Consolidating positions makes sense if you are choosing the correct positions to combine,” said Van Campen. “Most of the consolidations we saw during the past year did not make sense, and will not have as much of a positive impact as we would like to see.”

Several tense exchanges between Van Campen and Mayor DeMaria took place during a number of meetings. While the two politicians seemed at odds with one another, Van Campen maintains that he wants to work with the current administration and would like to see a compromise on several issues.

“The mayor and I sat together on the Board of Aldermen before his election,” said Van Campen. “I have the utmost respect for his work over the last year, and his career as an elected official. However, I disagree with a number of actions that have taken place in the last year.”

In recent weeks, Van Campen stepped up the Board of Aldermen’s effort to clear up the Wood Waste issue that has plagued the city over the last year. In a move unanimously supported by his fellow members, Van Campen called for an immediate cease and desist order against the company, calling it a nuisance and threat to public health.

Mayor DeMaria responded to the board’s call, and worked with Wood Waste owner William Thibeault to develop an enforcement agreement. The agreement, which doesn’t address the height of the controversial debris piles, would begin to bring the site into compliance with state regulations. It also begins to set a timeline for the construction of a permanent enclosed facility.
The resolution was brought before the board, and the mayor asked for all suggestions to be submitted before the holiday. Van Campen and new BOA President Alderman Chuck DiPerri both suggested that a cease and desist order be included to curtail the company from violating the agreement.

The issue developed into a political inferno for Van Campen after Thibeault opened up about his business and its practices in an exclusive interview with the Independent. He charged Van Campen with “political grandstanding” and evading the truth about his company and the issue. The two have since exchanged words through a number of editorials published in all three of Everett’s local newspapers.

“Politics is a tough game, and I understood this when I first ran for elected office,” said Van Campen. “I will continue to fight for the residents of Everett who believe this business is a nuisance and a threat to the public health.”

With the Wood Waste issue continuing into 2009, Van Campen has vowed to work with the mayor in making the agreement airtight. Van Campen has called for a stricter timeline and some sort of good faith measure by the owner to reduce the size or begin removing the piles. The piles and their heights are currently not part of the enforcement agreement.

“I have made suggestions along with other members of the board,” said Van Campen. “I hope the enforcement agreement does bring movement, because we need it now.”

As the Wood Waste issue intensified, so did rumors of a potential Van Campen/DeMaria showdown in this fall’s mayoral race. After his recent holiday party ended without the announcement many were waiting to hear, I asked Alderman Van Campen if he intends to campaign for the seat.

“While there have been rumors about a run, it is something that I cannot answer definitively yet,” said Van Campen. “I have considered, and will continue to discuss the idea with my family and advisers.”

Van Campen discussed his distaste for the “politics-as-usual” in the city.

“I have not seen the change in the ‘politics-as-usual’ so often talked about in Everett,” said Van Campen when asked what change he would bring to City Hall. “I think that is what the residents really want.”

After some nagging, Van Campen assured me that a decision would be made by the end of February, and an announcement would come in the following weeks. If Van Campen decides against running for mayor, the Ward 5 alderman is committed to a re-election campaign.

“If I decide against a mayoral bid, I will continue to remain fully committed to the residents of Everett,” said Van Campen. “I will fight for the changes and for the issues that I think will bring pride, progress, and possibilities to our great community.”

Edited by - tetris on 01/17/2009 10:25:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  10:30:17 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The following section of the previous article is what really caught my eye:

Van Campen discussed his distaste for the “politics-as-usual” in the city.

“I have not seen the change in the ‘politics-as-usual’ so often talked about in Everett,” said Van Campen when asked what change he would bring to City Hall. “I think that is what the residents really want.”

So are "politics-as-usual" the staus quo in Everett? And if so, is there really a way to change that? What do we think about that?
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  12:08:16 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Politics-as-usual" as it pertains to the City of Everett, to me, means Political Patronage. We've seen it for years and, based on campaign promises, had expected not to see it from Carlo

I don't know that any candidate can get around it because there seem to be too many people who support a candidate only as long as they believe they're going to get something in return. When that doesn't happen, they immediately look to the next guy. Additionally, for those who do get a job for themselves or a family member, when the next election rolls around, their support is gone because they don't need or want anything anymore.

People in this city need to start looking at the big picture and stop worrying only about themselves. If anyone can find a way to make that happen, we've got a chance to turn things around. If not, then the status quo will continue to be if you know (or are related to) the right people, you'll be taken care of, if you don't..............tough!
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  10:35:07 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Independeent's editorial today thought that some percentage of the charter review commission should be made up of elected politicians. They also thought that the focus of the commission should be to eliminate the bi-carmel system. I just don't see how how two things go together. If the elected politicians want to attend the public meetings of the commission, just like any other citizen, that's fine; I'm sure that the commission will appreciate their input.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  8:44:27 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that the editorial writers in the Independent need to get together and decide whether the paper stands on issues. Last week, they ran the editorial that came out in favor of some percentage of the charter review commission being made up of elected officials. This week, they came out in favor of supporting the gentlemen's agreement. So what is the paper's position?
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  10:10:57 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Everett Independent, Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Page 7 From Our Readers

The bottom line

To The Editor:

For as long as I can remember, I have taken great pride in the city that I call home - the place where my husband and I have raised our daughters. The past few years have not been easy. I have watched as lifelong residents have left in tremendous numbers, having chosen to leave Everett because of what seems to be an endless series of mayors that have allowed the power of office to go to their heads and an outbreak of crimes that we never thought possible here.

After all this time one issue has emerged as my breaking point. Two years ago our former mayor, John Hanlon, backed down from a worthwhile fight and all owed the City of Boston to build a waste handling facility on lower Broadway while Everett residents cried out for a fight.

Today, I see yet another mayor allowing a waste facility to run roughshod over the taxpayers of this city. Unfortunately for all of us, Carlo De Maria and his administration owe their jobs to the owner of Wood Waste, his donations and his fundraisers. It is no wonder why they seem to be bending over backwards to help Everett’s worst business keep it’s doors open.

Wood Waste and it’s owner has made a fortune off this city, all the while making residents sick from horrible fumes that have made us all nauseated or caused our eyes to tear up. They have flagrantly ignored our laws and been fined by the EPA. All of the facts seem to have fallen on deaf ears as Mayor De Maria campaign war chest has taken precedence over the residents of our city.

The most recent, and the most unconscionable example of this took place when the aldermen brought Mayor De Maria and City Solicitor Colleen Mejia in front of the board to discuss their desire for a cease and desist order against Wood Waste for its numerous indiscretions. To our dismay, Ms Mejia and the mayor informed us that they preferred a consent agreement with Wood Waste. They even went as far as telling the board that the health director from Newburyport, Jack Morris, told the city that a consent agreement was the best direction to head in with Wood Waste. Unfortunately for the De Maria administration, that suggestion was news to Mr Morris. The following is an excerpt from the Newburyport Current from January 28, 2009.

“Newburyport Health Director Jack Morris said, contrary to rumor, he did not recommend that Everett enter into a consent agreement with Wood Waste of Boston, but rather that city’s officials they should rescind the site assessment on the property and invoke a cease and desist order.”

These conflicting statements beg the question is the De Maria administration lying or just plain incompetent? Do they realize the people of Everett pay their salaries? That they work for the people of Everett and not Wood Waste? That the truth is expected whenever she is called in front of our elected bodies?

The bottom line for me is this:

I hope the Board of Aldermen take steps to hold a vote of no confidence on this administration that can no longer be trusted. I hope the truth continues to come out on an administration that has taken incompetence and deception to a new level. I hope that there is someone out there planning to run against Mayor De Maria, but, most of all, I hope the people of Everett are smart enough to throw Mayor De Maria out of office and into the same trash piles he has so vigorously defended during his entire tenure in the mayor’s office.

Sincerely,
Cathy Faherty

"Deb"

Edited by - massdee on 02/25/2009 10:25:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  11:12:20 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some observations about today's Independent's.

It appears that Keith Spencer spent a lot of his time off from school last week writing for the Independent. I think that he was responsible for the vast majority of the content in the paper this week. Usually, that's not a bad thing as I feel that he usually is a pretty square shooter and presents the facts accurately. The only problem that I have had with him is that when he writes articles about the school department, I'd like to see a disclosure included in those that he is a school department employee. You would think that the paper would do that automatically. But that gets into the whole FFF, Patron Saint of Local Newspaper Advertising issue which isn't the point of this post. Well, maybe a little bit but we'll deal with that later.

However, I believe that Mr. Spencer could have used an editor, or at least a fact checker, to look at some of his stuff this week before it was published. His piece on Wood Waste had at least four factual errors in it that marred an otherwise good article. First, the Newburyport reporter's name is Gillian Swart not Stewart. Although this is an error that Alderman Van Campen made first, it should have been corrected for the article. Although Ms Swart has her own blog, which is actually named "Port Reporter Unlimited", she is also a reporter for the Newburyport Current which is where the article that contained Mr. Morris' quote first appeared. On top of those errors, the article goes on to say that the violation that the building department will be pursuing with Wood Waste has to do with the piles heights. Although, it was not really made clear at the meeting Monday night exactly what portion of the zoning ordinances is being violated, Mayor DeMaria seemed to make it clear that it had nothing to do with the pile heights. I was actually hoping that the Independent, of all of the local papers, might provide some actual insight to the nature of the violation. Guess we'll have to seek some other source of information for the actual details.

In addition to the errors noted above, there was also an error in one of Mr. Spencer's charter review pieces that state the commission will have ten members. I'm sure that Mr. Spencer was on a tight deadline to get a fairly long piece from Monday night submitted for publication on Wednesday morning but that doesn't excuse the editorial staff from doing its job. If the only mistake I found in the paper was about was the specifics of the zoning violation, I'd likely be a little more forgiving. I just find it hard to take the paper seriously when it doesn't try hard enough to take care of its own journalistic responsibilities.

With all that said, I do have to give the paper some credit for running the letter to the editor that Massdee posted in this thread. Although the paper will tell you that they are neutral, anyone that reads the paper regularly knows that they usually tend to be very pro Mayor DeMaria. That's certainly their right, especially if they would admit that they do take a position. I also thought that it was a brave move for someone to attach their name to many of the views that are frequently posted anonymously on the boards. Many of us cling to anonymity because we are wary that, much as it seems to happen every local election election cycle, the supporters of the various factions can get a little overzealous, provoked or not. Let's hope that it does not happen in this case.

Finally, as I alluded to before, what real criticism of an Everett newspaper would be complete without a mention of the School Department paid advertising. Was it really necessary to have a full page color ad for the Winter Concert?. Will the other two papers have the same? I don't have a problem with something other than football getting some attention but that was overkill. And the other papers will probably be as bad. There was way to much "blank" space in that ad. With all that space, it would have been nice to mention where the proceeds of the ticket sales will go. Hopefully, to support band activities but who knows that for sure? There should be no doubt that Stat Smith is attempting to do the right thing when he tries to bring this issue up at school committee meetings. One might question how he does it but you also need to temper that with the fact that he's going up against a stacked deck.
Go to Top of Page

mainemo

25 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  08:23:55 AM  Show Profile Send mainemo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dear tetris;
I can surely understand your concern of misinformation in reporting , but if you know for sure errors are made, i do hope that you will be writing a letter to the editor showing these errors. Or maybe yourself should become a freelance journalist to the Independent so the true facts are put forward to the citizens of Everett. You appear to be , in my estimation , a rather gifted writer. Maybe its time for change in that avenue speak out and let it be known when something is misreported. From what i can gather you have 3 newspapers in Everett , correct me if i am wrong, and all are indepentdent of each other you are lucky. Here where i am living now there has been a recent change to newspapers where all have been purchased by one publishing company so all papers report the exact samething. Give it a try perhaps you will create change inyour city its worth a shot. I was born and raised in Everett . I started school in the Horace Mann ( the father of education) and graduated from EHS in 1976. Then in the late 80's early 90's my children also attended the Everett public schools and hten there were a handful of citizens who saw, including my wife,the craziness of the school committee and created Citizens For Quality Education and imposed through petition the term limits of the school brd members together with long hours and hard work and many miles on foot collecting signatures to get that on the ballot and it passed . So you see change can come by the few for the greater good of the many . So if you have issues get out there and let it be known dont be secretive and be proud of your name
Sincerely
Ronald J moran
( former Everett resident )
Go to Top of Page

Wildfire132

31 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  09:01:46 AM  Show Profile Send Wildfire132 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Independent plays both sides. They've been pushing for a City Manager style of government. Not sure how that works but I am all in favor of elected officials staying out of the Commission. Let them attend the public meetings and voice their opions like everyone else, but stay off. I will not vote for any elected official who is seeking re-election and running for the Commission.
Go to Top of Page

mainemo

25 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  09:14:52 AM  Show Profile Send mainemo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dear wildfire;
Up here in the town i live in we have a Town Manager who is appointed by our Brd of Selectmen . I find it to be rahter concerning because he works for the Selectmen. We do not have a mayor and i have found that to be probably my major adjustment here . Another thing we have here though which i tend to like is if our School Brd needs more money it is voted on by the residents of this town for extra spending but as in most places it comes down to the people and it seems that many just dont feel that their vote appears to fall on deaf ears . Hence creates the attitude of why bother they get what they want anyhow.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  11:21:05 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say I am very proud of the woman that put in the letter to the editor on Wood Waste.

I've said it before, the Mayor does not comprehend how many people are upset over Wood Waste. He listens to his crack advisers that have no clue. Ms. Deveney was not from Everett and had no right to stand there and say nothing could be done about Wood Waste.

People may not write letters, but they can see the attitude of the Mayor, he makes it very obvious, and people will let him know this at the polls.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  12:38:15 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mainemo,

Thanks for the encouraging words. As I was writing that post last night, I took pause to think about why the posters on this board do what we do the way we do. I'll relay a couple of stories that may help to explain why.

I recently had a chance to speak with a long-time, former Everett politician that I graduated from EHS with (BTW, I'm also a Horace Mann alum). He told me that if he had to do it all over again in today's environment, he probably would not. That's how dirty and nasty Everett politics have become in his view. It's a view shared by many others, although there are some that would have you believe otherwise. If city council meeting videos ever become accessible on the city web site (which we were promised months ago, Matt; I'd really like to be able to think about dumping Comcast), you'll be able to see for yourself.

I can also relay a couple of stories that I've heard about people who have been outspoken critics of the current administration. Let me stress that these are stories and I have no actual proof or am I attempting to assign any blame. As I said in my prior post, there always seem to be overzealous supporters who take it upon themselves to step over the line. In one case, the critic was well known and that critic had their vehicle vandalized. In the other case, someone went to great lengths to determine the identity of an unidentified critic over a disagreement about something the critic was doing. The critic only thought that they were providing a public service. For that, they were put thru a living hell and their property was vandalized. Again, I stress that these are stories that are out there but just their existence gives you pause to put yourself out there publicly.

Assuming the identity of Tetris allows me to post anything that I want, without any fear of retribution. But I look at posting as privilege, not a right. As such, I think a lot about what I'm going to post before I post it. I try to consider all sides of an issue before posting and I'm not afraid to take shot at folks on either sides on the issues. Yes, I have my biases and I try to admit them when I am aware of them. I just don't feel that I could be as honest and blunt if I were out here posting under my own identity.

One unexpected side effect that posting out here has had on my life is that I have found it necessary to become more personally involved with what goes on in the city. I have started to participate more than I have ever have in the past and I only see that growing. If charter review passes, I plan on participating heavily in that process in some way, shape or form. If it doesn't, I'll probably have to find some other outlet for this new found interest.

Yes, I could write to the newspaper and let them know of the errors. But they know that we're here and they'll get the message. Whether or not they chose to do anything about it is up to them. The point of my post was more to remind people that the can't take everything that they read at face value. Your own eyes and ears, not to mention your brain, are your best guide. As far as writing for the paper, although I'll occasionally write a piece that contains only facts, I more enjoy writing pieces where I can express my opinions. I don't think that any of the papers is looking for another editorial writer, although after reading today's Leader-Herald editorial about street signs (that's the best they could come up with?), maybe I'm wrong about that. I'm happy that I've found a home here and plan to stick around for a while.
Go to Top of Page

mainemo

25 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  1:56:12 PM  Show Profile Send mainemo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Tetris;
I am glad you read the words as they were intended it definitely proves you yourself has a brain and knows how to use it . I myself know first hand what it is to be outspoken and to pay the so called price of practicing your right to free speech . What goes on in your government there is the same here . they have different topic titles but its the same political mumbo jumbo . This town is dealing with issues as well . For example; Real estae tax issues over 1/3 of this town is tax exempt due to landtrusts for which the remainder of us have to foot the bill on and it grows bigger and bigger . Modernization thats a laugh this gov. wont even let cell towers to be erected. We are a town of a little over 2000 in population . They are antibusiness and if they dont want something them and their cronies just add another line to the land use ordinance which i think now larger than the constitution of the United States
So as i was saying the topics are different but the politics are the same . Even with new elected officials!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  11:09:42 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Friday, February 27, 2009
Thanks again to Everett peeps
I want to again thank the people from Everett who offer so much support and information and whatnot to me and to all of us here in Newburyport.

Wow, you would not believe that some stinky piles in our respective cities would bind us together so tightly.

And - wow again - that nice reporter, Keith Spencer, from the Everett Independent wrote to me to apologize for misspelling my name and butchering the name of the blog in his latest piece on Wood Waste.

Actually, I'm just assuming he's nice because he did a nice thing ... but he seems pretty nice, from our limited back-and-forth over email.

As an aside, my sister (the one who lives in Gloucester, but who used to live in Malden) thought it was pretty amusing that I was mentioned at a municipal meeting in Everett.

Oh the fame! Oh the glory! or not ...

You must be logged in to see this link.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000