Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Wood Waste
 War of Words
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 2

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  10:24:29 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the Wood Waste topic now having its own forum, I thought that it might be a good idea to have more that one thread devoted to the issue. If the general consensus is would prefer to have a single thread, we can always collapse these back into a single thread.

There seems to be quite a war of words brewing lately on the Wood Waste issue between Alderman Van Campen and Mr. Thibeault. Even though some of us have read these articles and letters, this has all come at a time of year when many of us are busy and and also at a time when distribution of some of the papers has been spotty. So that we can all be on the same page and so that we can preserve them for posterity, I am planning on posting the following four articles/letter in this thread.

- An interview with Mr. Thibeault from the 12/17 Independent
- An interview with Mr. Thibeault from the 12/19 Advocate
- A letter to the editor from Alderman Van Campen that was published in the 12/23 Independent and the 12/24 Leader-Herald
- A letter to the editor from Mr. Thibeualt that was published in the 12/26 Advocate.

Some of these are quite lengthy so it will take me a while to get to them. But, I'll get to them as soon as I possibly can.

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  10:45:24 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Up first, the article from the 12/17 Independent that contains the interview with Mr. Thibeault, with thanks to the Independent web site (even though it was necessary to do a lot of reformatting to make the text more readable):

Thibeault speaks out
Owner of Wood Waste talks past, present and future intentions

Over the last several months, the history of the Wood Waste issue in Everett has been discussed at a number of meetings of the Common Council, the Board of Aldermen, and a public hearing held in October. While it seems the DeMaria administration is willing to work with the owner of Wood Waste, other city officials have been a thorn in the company’s side.

Recent developments convinced William Thibeault, owner of Wood Waste of Boston, that it was time to open up about his controversial business, its practices, and his ultimate development plans in the city of Everett. While he has rarely spoken with the media or directly to the public, I met with Thibeault earlier this week to ask him a few questions.

Most of our conversation focused on the role of past administrations in the development of his business practices in the city. Thibeault also discussed his future intentions for the Boston Street facility, current litigation over his Newburyport landfill, and the potential lower Broadway site, where he is looking to move his transfer station.

The Wood Waste facility accepts, processes and stores construction and demolition waste. Some of the material that comes through the facility is identified to be recycled, some is disposed of at an offsite location, and some is be processed for multiple uses at Massachusetts landfills.

The controversy surrounding the site concerns allegations that piles of construction debris that have been gathering for the last 15 months are emitting noxious odors are a potential nuisance and threat to public health. Thibeault had been shipping this debris to his dump in Newburyport until that city shut down his operation.

In a resolution offered several weeks ago by councilors Peter A. Napolitano, Millie J. Cardello, Sergio Cornelio, and Alderman Frank Nuzzo, the mayor and Wood Waste of Boston hoped to enter into a temporary agreement regarding the removal of debris piles from its facility on Boston Street.

The resolution would have allowed Wood Waste to temporarily access a rail line off the lower Broadway parcel for 30-60 days to begin the immediate removal of debris materials from the Boston Street facility. While this resolution failed, another agreement is in the works, and should be announced sometime this week.

Despite claims by city officials, Thibeault maintained that his company is not adding to the piles, and out of good faith, they have been monitoring air quality and odors mitigating from the piles. He also indicated that he has worked out two agreements with the state, and is waiting for an upcoming hearing in January to determine his company’s fate.

“Materials currently coming into the Boston Street facility are simply being sorted to pull out any metal scrapings that could be recycled,” said Thibeault. “We are not grinding any materials after that process. We are loading it back on a truck raw and shipping it out to a lined, out-of-state landfill.”

Throughout the interview, Thibeault remained confident that his company doesn’t pose a threat to the public’s health and safety, and local residents have no need to worry about airborne toxins.

“I would like to remind you that no complaints have ever been filed against Wood Waste of Boston or any of my other properties in Everett by the current Board of Health or by any prior administrations,” said Thibeault. “Recent air quality testing, which I have shown you, demonstrates that while the concentrations are high enough to smell, they pose no threat to the public.”

Thibeault presented results from recent air quality testing of the perimeter area of the Boston Street facility. The data revealed that while sulfur dioxide is present, concentrations are extremely well below harmful levels for even an enclosed facility.

“I am willing to share this data with any city official who would like to see it,” confirmed Thibeault.

Thibeault also expressed his disappointment in politicians who were once willing to work with his company to resolve the looming issues. However, recent developments among the Board of Aldermen demonstrate a change in the attitude of some local officials.

Last week, all seven members of the Board of Aldermen co-sponsored an order calling for the Board of Health to issue a cease and desist order against the Boston Street Wood Waste facility. The motion was tabled until the board’s December 22nd meeting, giving Mayor DeMaria time to respond before a vote is taken.

“If Robert Van Campen wants to grandstand, that is his right,” said Thibeault. “Two weeks ago, he was all for trying to work out an agreement with Wood Waste. Realizing he would have no issue to stand upon his soapbox and complain about, Van Campen has changed his song and dance.

“I will fight the cease and desist order until the end. I fight for everything that I believe in, and I will not give up. I believe that what I want to do is positive for this city. If they want to come after me, they need to look at all businesses in Everett with potential health and safety violations.”

Thibeault continued to lash out against Alderman Van Campen throughout the interview, stating that if he and the Board of Aldermen want to continue to oppose rather than work with his company, they should do the same with all companies that have potential violations in the city.

“If this is the avenue Van Campen chooses, he’d best do the same with Schnitzer, Exxon Mobil, the multiple scrap yards, and any other businesses that have potential violations to public health and safety as well,” said Thibeault.

“He singles out my company and then turns a blind eye to others in the city like Schnitzer. The company has piles just as high as my Wood Waste that are right on the waterfront. Arsenic has been identified in the past, and fires have plagued the site, which is located right next to the Liquefied Natural Gas [LNG] facility. If my site is a public nuisance and hazard to public health, then what about facilities like Schnitzer?”

Thibeault’s eyes have also been set on a parcel of land located on lower Broadway, which he has eyed for quite some time, with development plans coming into focus during the Ragucci administration. It was during this time that his company began to prepare to build a permanent facility in an industrial zone rather than a viable commercial district like the parkway.

“I could build a permanent facility at the current Boston Street facility,” Thibeault said simply. “But I tried to work with previous administrations to bring the facility to a different location. This would allow me to create a master development plan utilizing all of my property on the parkway for commercial businesses.

Thibeault would like to move the Wood Waste operations to a fully enclosed facility in the back corner of the 32-acre parcel. Ultimately, he hopes that his company will be able to use this parcel of land to begin shipping debris out by rail car if his plans to begin sending materials to his Newburyport landfill are once again thwarted by a January court decision.

Thibeault pointed to the Ragucci administration for directing him and his company to relocating the Wood Waste facility to lower Broadway. Rather than begin construction of a permanent facility at the Boston Street location, Ragucci directed Thibeault to find an alternative location in the hopes that he would clean and redevelop the Boston Street location after relocating Wood Waste.

After Ragucci left office, Mayor John Hanlon never allowed this plan to come to fruition. This caused the facility on Boston Street to fall out of compliance with DEP (Department of Environmental Protection) orders to construct a permanent facility. Piles began to collect at the site in 2007 due to restrictions at the Newburyport landfill, where debris was trucked.

“This is a positive project,” said Thibeault. “We would get the facility off the parkway, opening up about 20 acres of my property which would be much more attractive than a heavy industrial zoned piece of property like that found on the lower Broadway site. It is a far better idea to relocate the permanent, enclosed Wood Waste facility to this area rather than a viable piece of property like the parkway.”

Thibeault currently has control over the parcel located on lower Broadway, with a sizeable, nonrefundable deposit locked up in the real estate transaction. He has indicated that he could close on the property anytime between January and April.

He also acknowledged the challenges his company will face when beginning to develop the area on lower Broadway. The site, formerly the Monsanto Chemical Company, is heavily polluted and will require cleanup that will cost millions of dollars. He added there also are difficult traffic problems in the area and that zoning regulations could change before he can begin construction.

“We have to recognize where we are,” said Thibeault. “We are in an industrial zone, surrounded by the MBTA facility, a defunct power plant, the LNG facility, and the new Boston transfer station. It is a heavily contaminated site, and the courts will decide what we can do for cleanup. We are going to try to get the maximum cleanup we can get, but my hands are tied as to what I will actually be able to do. My ultimate goal is to get the best development that I can get. However, we don’t know what kind of cleanup we are going to get for the area.”

Sources say Thibeault is planning to build a 30-acre dump, which Thibeault flat-out denied. He maintained that his commitment is to bring commerce, jobs, and tax revenues into the city, not another dump.

“I have no plans for creating a 30-acre or even a 10-acre dump at the lower Broadway site. I will take a portion of the property in the rear abutting the rail line, relocate my Wood Waste facility, and do a 20-acre development on the parkway that would be extremely beneficial financially and aesthetically to the city of Everett,” he said.

“Once I build a $5 million building, I’m not going to move it. It’s in my business’ and the city’s best interest to move the facility to a location like the lower Broadway parcel where it is out of the way.”

Thibeault also recently completed part of his master development plan when his purchase of the old city yards was finally approved. Since the sale has been completed, Thibeault’s company has already begun cleanup and construction of a business center at the location. “I recently closed a real estate deal on the former city yard site where city officials once again tried to grandstand, overstating that I was planning on turning that location into another dump site,” said Thibeault.

“If you take a ride by the property, I have taken the abandoned, dilapidated, graffiti-ridden building and begun to transform the area into that will serve as a viable business center and generate tax dollars for the city of Everett.”

Responding to a question regarding his connections to the mayor’s office, Thibeault acknowledged his support of Mayor DeMaria. However, he emphatically denied that the mayor is making moves that favor his company.

“It was the mayor’s administration that took away contracts from my company upon taking office,” said Thibeault. “It was the mayor’s fire department that testified against my company. At least the mayor has continuously fought to work out these issues that fell into his lap upon taking office rather than criticize and offer no viable solution.

“While my support of varied politicians in the city has drawn criticism, people seem to forget the other things that I have done in the city,” reminded Thibeault. “I have supported children’s sports leagues, the summer camp program, the police and fire departments’ fundraisers, and many other charitable organizations in the local community.”

In October, Anthony Rossi, an attorney who represents Thibeault, promised the gathering at the community meeting that his client hoped to have some sort of resolution by January. During this interview, Thibeault assured me that his company has plans to take action after hearing about the Newburyport landfill during the first weeks of 2009.

However, Thibeault repeated Rossi’s comments from the October meeting that it would not be financially feasible to truck the piles out of state, and it would take a considerable amount of time to do so.

While city officials and residents continue to look for some measure of good faith, Thibeault and the mayor’s office believe it will come through an agreement that is currently in the works. Thibeault maintains that his company has been trying to do the right thing, and that this compromise should offer some end to the longstanding dispute.

“I want to work with Mayor DeMaria or any administration that is willing to look at both sides of the situation,” said Thibeault. “I may not be the most popular businessman in the city. However, I believe I have done and I will continue to do a lot for the city. I have already cleaned up nearly 30 acres of contaminated property, and I plan to clean up an additional 30 or so acres.

“I don’t see Van Campen or other businesses stepping up to the plate and taking on this responsibility. I would like to find an independent businessman like myself who has come into this city in recent years and cleaned up even two acres of polluted land.”

Edited by - tetris on 12/27/2008 10:49:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  08:09:50 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Up next, the article from the 12/19 Advocate that contained an interview with Mr. Thibeault. Even though this article is very similar to the one in the Independent, there are some differences and I also thought that it should be included for the sake of completeness.

Wood Waste owner insulted by Ald. Van Campen's verbal assaults

Doesn't appreciate political grandstanding by calling established businessman a monster

By The Advocate

The owner of Wood Waste has finally spoke out publicly about what he considers to be unfair criticism of his business and his future development plans by a select few politically motivated officials in the city.

William Thibeault recently agreed to media interviews to tell "his side of the story."

"It was time to set the record straight," he asserted.

Thibeault, first and foremost, pointed out that no complaints have been lodged against his business by the current local board of health.

A family man and self-made businessman is frustrated by Van Campen's constant criticism of a development plan that would bring tens of thousands of dollars in new tax revenue on top of the tens of thousands of dollars he currently pays in real estate taxes. Plus, the millions of dollars he'll spend to clean up the highly contaminated properties. Just recently Thibeault presented the city with a $3.5 million check for the purchase of the old city yards.

Political charges that his site on Boston Street is a health menace aren't supported by the facts, he stressed. He said he has had air quality testing done that prove that there is no threat to the public being caused by his construction debris recycling operation.

Thibeault said that materials now coming onto his site are just being "sorted out" to separate the metal scrapings that can be recycled. "There's no grinding," he emphasized.

The Wood Waste owner said he's bothered by the "change of heart" by some local politicians who once expressed a willingness to cooperatively work towards a solution, but are now using Wood Waste as a whipping boy.

He had this to say about his main critic on the board of alderman: "If Robert Van Campen wants to grandstand, that's his right. But a couple of weeks ago, he was all for working out an agreement about removing the debris piles, but I guess it then dawned on him that he would have no issue to criticize, so he changed his song and dance."

Thibeault said that if Van Campen, or anyone else at city hall, persist and continue to oppose him and his business, they should be fair and also look at all the businesses in Everett that have potential health and safety code violations.

He suggested, for example, that Ald. Van Campen should also go after Schnitzer (the former Prolerized), Exxon Mobil, the scrap yards and countless other businesses with potential code violations.

Thibeault charged that Van Campen is obsessed with Wood Waste, but has "a blind eye" when it comes to others. He specially cited Schnitzer for having piles equal to those at Wood Waste - and they're on the city's waterfront.

There have been serious fires at Schnitzer and it is next to an LNG facility, Thibeault said, but where's Van Campen's concern on that issue?

The bottom line is that Thibeault would like nothing better than to remove the piles on Boston Street; develop that land along with the old city yard parcels into a really substantial tax producing commercial complex; and run his Wood Waste operation in an enclosed facility on a small back corner portion of the land he's buying on Route 99 so he can use a railroad spur there for shipping purposes. In time, he also plans to develop the land on Route 99, perhaps with a marina and condos.

Is Thibeault sincere about his plans and is he capable of producing what he says? Well, he already has an outstanding track record to make you believe in his word and sense of commitment. Just look at the Stop & Shop that he brought to Everett, and look at the BJ's store and proposed 218-unit condo project that he's accomplished out of a former junkyard. Thibeault said Mayor Ambrosino and the Revere City Council were very cooperative during the construction process.

"I'm committed to creating jobs and commerce and tax revenue. Contrary to what my critics falsely say, I'm not the least bit interested in establishing a second dump in Everett," Thibeault commented.

While he blasts Van Campen for political grandstanding (as he plans to run for mayor in 2009), Thibeault is respectful of the way Mayor Carlo DeMaria is handling the situation. He says DeMaria is being fair and is willing to work with him toward an amicable solution so that Thibeault's development project can begin.

He suggested that the agreement being hammered out by the DeMaria administration and his lawyer to remove the piles from Boston Street by temporarily using a back portion of the 99 property, under tightly monitored conditions, is a cooperative plan that the city council should embrace if it is truly interested in what's best for the community.

The agreement, if implemented, holds the very real promise of ending the long period of dispute and controversy between the city and Wood Waste, said Thibeault.

But if the city council continues to push for a cease and desist order, Thibeault vowed to fight it to the bitter end because, in his mind, "it's just not fair", especially when he's proposing to undertake two major development projects within the city that will benefit Everett for years to come.

Thibeault says that he wants to work cooperatively with any city administration that's willing to look at both side of the situation.

"But a select few critics conveniently forget my support of the local youth sports groups, summer camp for kids, and numerous charitable organizations in the city that need financial help. We have always participated in ways to better Everett and glad to do it."

He added: "People probably don't realize that we've already cleaned up almost 30 acres of contaminated land in the city and we're planning to clean up and develop another 30 acres."

"That's a pretty good track record, don't you think? Thibeault asked as he ended the interview.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  08:40:49 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a quote from the Advocate article:

"Thibeault, first and foremost, pointed out that no complaints have been lodged against his business by the current local board of health."

My question, why hasn't our Board of Health lodged complaints against Wood Waste? The BOH has received numerous complaints from our residents. It appears to me, this Administration is giving Wood Waste a free pass. If the BOH had indeed issued complaints, as they should have, the city would have a much stronger case in court if a cease and desist order is ever acted upon. Under previous Administrations, the BOH has cited Wood Waste. It is odd, now that the fumes, odors and dust are so much worse, nothing has been done through our "current" BOH.

We, the taxpayer, pay the salaries of all city workers, elected or otherwise. They work for us, and should be looking out for the best interest of the residents.

Edited by - massdee on 12/28/2008 08:58:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  09:08:15 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not certain what to believe since this is a quote from Mr. Thibeault in the first article.

“I would like to remind you that no complaints have ever been filed against Wood Waste of Boston or any of my other properties in Everett by the current Board of Health or by any prior administrations,” said Thibeault.

The only thing that I do know is that any Board of Health that hasn't filed a formal complaint against Wood Waste when they have received numerous complaints from residents hasn't really been doing their job properly. That goes for the administrations that they served as well. As Massdee noted, the city would have a much stronger case if they ever take Wood Waste to court if this had been done all along.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  09:14:06 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The next salvo in this war of words, a letter to the editor from Alderman Van Campen that appeared in last week's Independent and Leader-Herald:

To The Citizens Of Everett:

Recently, the owner of Wood Waste of Boston was interviewed by some of Everett’s local newspapers regarding his company’s current operations. By giving these interviews, it appears Wood Waste sought nothing more than to denigrate and demean efforts by the Common Council, and most recently the Board of Aldermen, to address ongoing complaints about its controversial operation. These interviews were also used to target me, as if acting on my own, to make the claim that any issues raised about Wood Waste have everything to do with my own personal political agenda and nothing to do with the continuous and frequent complaints by Everett residents about noxious odors and fumes that are now almost a permanent part of the landscape in the area of Route 16. Since the people of Everett are entitled to the truth about matters that affect their health, safety and well-being, and since it appears a public relations machine has been working aggressively to soften the real image of this company, I have decided to respond to the misleading sound bites given by the owner of Wood Waste.

The history of Wood Waste in Everett is nothing more than a history of violated agreements, hollow commitments, and misleading promises to the people of Everett. By way of background, the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection issued a Consent Order in 1995 which placed several restrictions on the operation of Wood Waste at its former location on Boston Street. Among those restrictions, Wood Waste was prohibited from: (1) accepting materials such as furniture, rubber tires, appliances, auto parts, and municipal solid waste; (2) having more than two trailer loads of solid waste on site at any time; and (3) having outdoor pile heights at the site greater than 12 feet. This 1995 Consent Order also required Wood Waste to implement a dust control plan in order to minimize dust emissions into the surrounding area. In 1997 - two years later - the DEP issued a violation order against Wood Waste for completely failing to comply with the 1995 Consent Order to which it had agreed. Wood Waste appealed that order, and then agreed to have DEP issue an administrative order in 1999 which would govern the operation of Wood Waste at its former location, and further required Wood Waste to relocate to an alternative site. It was at this point that Wood Waste chose the present location on Boston Street from which it has been operating since 2000. The Everett Board of Health issued a site assignment for the Wood Waste facility at its present location on July 10, 2000, and on October 21, 2002 the DEP issued a final permit for the site which included a requirement that Wood Waste build a permanent enclosed facility at its new Boston Street home within 15 months. In accordance with DEP’s final permit, any processing of construction and demolition waste was to occur in this new enclosed facility.

In completely breaking its commitments to the DEP and the Everett Board of Health, Wood Waste has chosen to conduct its business in a partially enclosed cloth shed, and does most of its processing in the open air right next to Stop & Shop and directly across the Revere Beach Parkway from Everett’s residential neighborhoods. More than 6 years after the DEP issued its final permit, the people of Everett are still waiting for a permanent enclosure to be built; they are still waiting for Wood Waste to make good on any of its now 13 year old commitments to the DEP; they are still waiting for the hydrogen sulfide gas odors that were discovered in 2006 to go away; and they are still waiting for Wood Waste to do something about dust particles invading our once clean air. In addition, and after responding on multiple occasions to smoke and fire in the piles, the Everett Fire Department is still waiting for Wood Waste to reduce its pile heights to 12 feet, as it agreed to do in 1995. And sadly, the patrons and employees of Stop & Shop are still waiting for the day when they can walk into the building without holding their shirts over their mouths. How much longer do we the people of Everett have to wait!

Unfortunately, Wood Waste has been less than true to its word when it comes to operating in this city. In fact, the very business that Wood Waste touts as bringing to Everett – Stop & Shop – suffers because of the stench and the odors that come from the site.

Wood Waste is also claiming that the City Council, and more specifically the Board of Aldermen, is using it as a political “whipping boy” because of its apparent relationship with Mayor Carlo DeMaria. Although that is not the subject of this letter, the relationship between Wood Waste and Mayor DeMaria is certainly the business of the people of Everett and they are intelligent enough to form their own conclusions. Contrary to Wood Waste’s baseless assertion, seven Aldermen who put their own political differences aside and came together on behalf of the people of Everett, were clearly not engaging in a politic shell game when they unanimously supported issuance of a cease and desist order against Wood Waste’s continuing unlawful, nuisance creating, dirty operation in Everett. Unfortunately, I am not sure one could say the same for Wood Waste and its political allies.

Wood Waste further claims that the City Council is obsessed with its operation, and in the process is turning a blind eye to other large, industrial businesses in the community. This is blatantly untrue. First, the Massachusetts Attorney General, on behalf of the DEP, is suing Wood Waste for its ongoing violations of the Massachusetts solid waste management and air pollution control laws. That matter remains pending. Moreover, the DEP cited Wood Waste less than 8 weeks ago for ongoing violations discovered during inspections which were conducted over three days in October of 2008. These are documented facts that the people of Everett can verify on their own. In fact, the DEP continues to monitor Wood Waste and respond to the many complaints of dust and odor emanating from its site on Boston Street. Conversely, other than a single traffic complaint about Schnitzer, which was immediately resolved when I raised it with the company; I have never received a single complaint about any of the other corporate citizens to which Wood Waste’s owner now claims the City Council is turning a blind eye. I am also not aware of any pending actions that have been initiated by either the DEP or the Attorney General’s Office against any of these other corporate citizens.

For the record, I am more than willing to work with Wood Waste, or any other business that is interested in clean economic development opportunities for Everett, but this City cannot stand by and shadow box with a business that has no real intentions of ever changing. I am also willing to discuss the parameters of a consent order so long as it results in Wood Waste either: (a) building a permanent enclosure, in an appropriate location, that no longer pollutes our air and harms our residents; or (b) moving out of the City of Everett entirely. Unfortunately, I am somewhat leery about supporting a consent order right now, especially since Wood Waste’s track record in abiding by consent orders is less than stellar. As a result, the time is now for the DeMaria Administration to honor the Board of Aldermen’s vote, issue a cease and desist order, shut down Wood Waste, and stop the public relations charade being played with the people of Everett over this issue.

Although I can appreciate Wood Waste’s concerns about being targeted, I hope Wood Waste can appreciate the concerns of the people of Everett who have suffered for far too long, and are now being fed a suspiciously timed “public relations” piece about what a good, corporate citizen this company has been. In the end, sunlight is the greatest disinfectant and I have confidence that the people of Everett are smart enough to distinguish fact from fiction.

Robert Van Campen, President, Board of Aldermen
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  10:16:19 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the way the Mayor and Mr. Thibeault use the same exact words......."Fell on my lap" yea okay......they have not been talking. I was born at night, but not last night.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  10:29:29 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not get last weeks Advocate but someone told me the draft form of the Enforcement Order was published in it. If so, could someone please post it, so we can all read it.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  10:45:31 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was actually in the Independent, which didn't seem to get delivered in our area of the city last week. I found a copy though. I was planning on starting another thread for all things consent order once I finish with Mr. Thibeault's letter to the editor from the Advocate.

Edited by - tetris on 12/28/2008 10:46:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  11:10:49 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tetris, Thanks for all your hard work. I know how difficult it is transcribing these articles from the newspapers. It takes a lot of time and effort.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  7:37:20 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That letter is online at the Advocate's website. Just by reading that, and the other lines of crap in the papers, these letters were written by none other that Anthony Rossi. I hope he was paid well for his services. He's another one that keeps bringing up other companies in Everett and is tossing his neighbors under a bus for a buck. That's okay, because those two will be the cause of DeMaria's downfall.

After rereading a couple of times, I take back my Anthony Rossi comment. That sounds like the Chief of Staff that talks a robot and not a human being with her blatant facts.

Edited by - Tails on 12/30/2008 10:08:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  11:01:21 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Tails points out, this latest round of the war of words is posted on the Advocate web site. I discovered it about 25% of the way thru transcribing it earlier this afternoon; but, I haven't been able to get back to it since. If you read it carefully, there are some subtle (but not major) differences between the two versions; I went with a version that tried to stay truer to what was printed in the paper, including it not be signed by Mr. Thibeault. The way the Advocate site works, it will only be available there for a week; so, it probably should have a permanent home here anyways. What I've posted also includes the referenced section of the 2003 purchase and sales agreement for the old city yards which isn't available on the Advocate web site.

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth

Wood Waste owner refutes falsehoods mistruths by Ald. Van Campen

To the citizens of Everett:

I have read the letter from Robert Van Campen – though unfortunately, he once again makes a slew of blatantly fictitious statements and allegations against both me and my company.

He states that his behavior is not politically motivated, yet he attacks me incessantly, and worse yet, falsely – thereby attempting to portray a bogus picture of who I am and how I do business within our community.

Based on the nature of his letter, I feel that I have no choice but to express the truth – all of which is validated strictly by evidence and facts, for both myself and for the citizens of Everett, as they, of course, deserve to know what is truly going on in their community. Mr. Van Campen does not want you to know the following:

1) The enclosed facility was not built per the request of the City of Everett. I have herewith provided a copy of the provision in the sale of the City Yards (2003), specifically stating that the enclosed facility would not be built until three years past the sale of the city yards, as Everett, with the help of Mayor Ragucci, was looking for alternate sites to build the facility – meaning that was the city of Everett's request under the Ragucci administration. Further, it was approved by the city council and the board of aldermen.

2) He does not tell you that I was award the right to build the enclosed facility on the current Stop & Shop site – however, after hard work/collaboration between Mayor David Ragucci and I, we instead brought Stop & Shop to my land and cleaned up 20+ acres of contaminated land on the parkway.

3) Mr. Van Campen also does not want you to know that I spent $3.5 million to purchase the Adams Furniture building, abutting the current site, to build the enclosed facility. It was the city of Everett who asked me not to build the facility, as I was the highest bidder on city yards, and Mayor Ragucci saw a potential 12 acres of property on the parkway to be redeveloped in the same manner as I redeveloped the 20 acres now known as the Stop & Shop site.

4) I want to emphasis that Mayor DeMaria has a vision, just as Mayor Ragucci did prior, to see the city yards and the current Wood Waste parcel developed. Moreover, Mr. Van Campen certainly does not want you to know about the tens of thousands of dollars that I donated to the city of Everett just this year alone, contributing to such things as after school programs and cleaning up the rotary. He also fails to mention the tens of thousands of dollars donated for the purpose of site work at Everett High School.

5) More importantly, Robert Van Campen doesn't want you to know that Wood Waste has held a contract with the city of Everett under Mayor Hanlon and Mayor Ragucci to dump all the street sweepings and catch basin material, trees and brush at the Wood Waste facility. The only mayor who took away the contract his first month in office was Mayor DeMaria – so that the current piles located at the facility would get no larger. Instead, Mayor DeMaria found an alternate site that was cheaper than Wood Waste to utilize. I was not angry at the mayor or this administration because he felt it was in the best interest of the city of Everett yet it is Mr. Van Campen who is insinuating in his letter that the mayor does not act against Wood Waste for whatever reason as he implies that you should read between the lines. Action speaks louder than words and Mayor DeMaria acted before this became a political issue.

6) He does not want you to know that all the excess snow in the city of Everett was dumped at Lower Broadway, causing the streets to be cleaner and safer for the citizens of Everett – of course, this was done with my consent.

7) I am not in violation in any height restrictions in relation to the piles with the city of Everett, and I am steadfastly working with the state and city to resolve any alleged issues. However, solely as a result of his own political motives, Alderman Van Campen does everything in his power to prevent this from occurring – just as he did with the sale of the city yards; he tries to manipulate and scare Everett citizens into believing that the improvements will be nothing more than another dump, when in actuality, nothing could be further from the truth. I strongly encourage and warmly welcome every resident of Everett to go by the parkway and look at the city yards – do not merely take my word for it, and certainly do not take the word of Van Campen – rather, look with your own eyes and see for yourself what I have done to improve the land. Let’s not forget I gave $3.5 million to the city of Everett for the contaminated land in the worst financial market of our times. As a result, the city has purchased over $1 million worth of new city equipment that keeps our city clean on a daily basis.

8) Mr. Van Campen refers to me as a monster; although I am one of the largest taxpayers in the city who has already cleaned up over 30+ acres of contaminated land in Everett and have redeveloped the same for jobs and thousands of dollars in tax revenue.

9) Mr. Van Campen also does not want you to know that I haven’t had a health violation under Mayor Ragucci, Mayor Hanlon, or Mayor DeMaria. I want to point out that these piles were there under Mayor Hanlon, as well, but nobody heard a word out of Van Campen’s mouth then.

He talks about Schnitzer, as well. They have had one violation, which, by the way, is one more than Wood Waste ever has. They run a tip-top facility – yet, think of what happened a few months ago when there was a five-alarm fire with arsenic material on site which is abutting an LNG facility. I would also recommend that you think about how many times the fire department has been at Schnitzer this past year alone. I do not have an issue with Schnitzer and other scrap metal yards whatsoever. I only want to point out the reality of the situation, which is that Mr. Van Campen has a political mission, of which he utilizes both me and my company in an effort to help realize his political ambitions.

I have enclosed a copy of the language in the purchase and sales agreement for city yards, which was drafted under the Ragucci administration and approved by the city council. It reflects why the city never wanted me to build the enclosed facility.

Mr. Van Campen falls to mention to you within his letter that all the issues were addressed with the state. Today, it is the state and I working together with the city of Everett to provide the best solution for the community. He lists alleged violations against me – but he never wants to speak about their outcome, as it would make his so-called points meaningless.

I do not need to enter into any agreement with the city of Everett. Under both this administration and the previous two, I’ve had absolutely no board of health violations. The state attempted a cease and desist on Wood Waste and if you believe everything that Van Campen tells you, then following that logic, it obviously should have been a slam dunk win for the state and attorney general. Yet, the reality of the situation is that the judge denied the attorney general’s request.

Mr. Van Campen truly seems to prefer that the city waste more tax dollars, possibly going to court and thereby risking litigation against the city, over addressing the issues immediately. You don’t need me to tell you that a cease and desist will not solve the odor and dust concerns. Rather, at this point, it will only make me want to work less with the city and have the courts sort it out based on the facts put forth. But let me make it clear to you directly – without my words and intentions being interpreted through the lens of someone who has a political vendetta against me – that is not the approach I want to take at all. In truth, I against want to address any concerns immediately, and I will even enter into an agreement that I am not obligated under law to enter into, binding myself, only to show my good faith actions toward the community.

Mr. Van Campen states he wants Wood Waste out of Everett, knowing full well that we have a consent order, which was won in Superior Court, to rightfully and fairly be here. If it was not for my facility, I wouldn’t have generated the funds to clean up 20+ acres on the Parkway to bring you Stop & Shop and Everett Business Center (the old city yards), and now acquire the Route 99 parcel (lower Broadway site) and have another multi-million dollar clean up. I am committed to building an enclosed facility and I will by my own volition, enter into an agreement with the city of Everett to submit plans for the current site and the Route 99 site and build my enclosed facility.

Typically, I attempt to remain very private, and I opt not to dignify the many falsehoods frequently said and written about me by Mr. Van Campen. However, in this particular instance – where the allegations set forth are so brazenly misleading, I feel that I have a moral obligation to put an end to this farce and provide the truth, all of which is substantiated with bonafide facts, to the people of Everett.

I again offer my hand to the citizens of Everett, the mayor, the city council and board of aldermen, including Alderman Van Campen.

From Page 6 of the purchase & sale agreement of the old city yards - Executed in May 2003. (The paper prints the entire page; I've only reproduced the section that was underlined. Interestingly enough though, that page also contains the language that prevents Wood Waste from being relocated to any of the lots involved in the sale of the old city yards.)

"...City of Everett hereby agrees that the Buyer shall continue to operate Wood Waste of Boston Inc. at 85-87 Boston Street, Everett, Massachusetts for three (3) years (the three years commencing on the recording of the five lots described in paragraph two, at Middlesex South Registry of Deeds) without any requirement to build a permanent structure to store the various materials currently stored at 85-87 Boston Street, Everett, Massachusetts."

Edited by - tetris on 12/29/2008 11:43:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  11:13:07 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"blatantly fictitious statements and allegations against both me and my company"

That sounds like someone else in the administration that can get rather testy at times. I don't think we have seen her around lately...hmmmm.....

Edited by - Tails on 12/28/2008 11:14:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marie

114 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  11:43:57 PM  Show Profile Send Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill Thibeault wrote that? I find that hard to believe. I have heard him speak before. Where are the "F" bombs?
Go to Top of Page

Fedup

86 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  11:04:07 PM  Show Profile Send Fedup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"MORAL OBLIGATION - A duty which one owes, and which he ought to perform, but which he is not legally bound to fulfil."

"I feel that I have a moral obligation to put an end to this farce and provide the truth, all of which is substantiated with bonafide facts, to the people of Everett."

I feel that Thibeault has a moral obligation to stop impacting the health and well-being of the residents in Everett.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  09:05:08 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tetris

"...City of Everett hereby agrees that the Buyer shall continue to operate Wood Waste of Boston Inc. at 85-87 Boston Street, Everett, Massachusetts for three (3) years (the three years commencing on the recording of the five lots described in paragraph two, at Middlesex South Registry of Deeds) without any requirement to build a permanent structure to store the various materials currently stored at 85-87 Boston Street, Everett, Massachusetts."

Am I totally missing something here? I thought we have been told time and time again that "state" supersedes "city".... we know that's not true, as far as the Board of Health is concerned (although that is what we were led to believe) but if the state had an order in 2002 to give the business owner 15 months to build an enclosed facility,what gave the city of Everett the right to go and change that in a Purchase and Sale agreement? Is this all legal, and if not, can the whole deal be null and void and can we get rid of this type of business in Everett once and for all. I'm sure Gloucester would love to have this in their back yard.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic   
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2