Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Announcements
 Com Council/2009
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Wildfire132

31 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  10:14:14 PM  Show Profile Send Wildfire132 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone watch the City Council meeting tonight? It looked like the Leo McKinnon show. Boy does he like to hear himself talk. Does he even know what he's doing? 3 hours for 15 items. Talk about beating a horse to death.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  10:20:31 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree it was long but I am pleased the way Millie Cardello runs the meetings. She was right, there were important agendas that people waited to see. I also like how she is respectful to Joe King. I know he speaks out off line, and can go on and on (The white goods are almost as bad as the Best Buy sign) but he has a good heart, and the elderly need to be treated with respect. I just wish the issue would get resolved in R&O....invite all appropriate parties.... and come out favorable or not and end it.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  10:25:15 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Billy Cardello was extremely rude to Kay Hicks tonight. I know she can be a bit of a pain at times but she was elected by the people in her ward and should be treated respectfully. I think Millie is running a much better meeting than Lorrie Bruno.

I was happy to hear Mr Zanaboni's truck driver's license came in handy during the snow storm.

Edited by - massdee on 02/02/2009 10:34:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  10:35:40 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Billy Cardello acts like he has better places to be. If that's the case, step down. I know he's ward five and Kay is ward six but.........a lot more people went out to vote for Kay in ward six than they did him in ward five. He ticked her off and she threw that brand new microphone that works.....oh so well (yea right) Very disrespectful.

I didn't really see it tonight, but the problem I have is people repeating themselves and standing up repeating what others say. I'm sure the common council president will take care of that.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  01:26:31 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I missed most of the white goods discussion. You have to give Councilor King credit that he won't let it go. What I got out of the little bit of it that I saw was that it needed to go to the City Services Commission since they're the ones that are supposed to set the fee. Is that right? I tried to watch the replay to find out but it cut off after an hour and a half.

Well, Mr. Mortimer had some backup but that wasn't going to change anything. This item was a done deal as soon as it appeared on the agenda. Even though I voted yes on Question 2, I'm for this ordinance. Glad to hear that some of the issues associated with Question 2 are being worked on at the state level as well. I missed some of the vote on this one. Who voted against it? Why do I expect that I won't be surprised by it? The city is still going to need to draft and ordain the ordinance though. After that, the city may be on the bleeding edge with this one. I wonder how that will go?

Not to pat myself on the back, but, as I stated in the Charter Review thread, I thought that the wording in the charter that was meant to prevent an individual from running for two seats might not apply to the charter review commission. I hope that a gentleman's agreement could be put in place to prevent it. But, you just know that you won't be able to get every elected official to abide by it.

Sounds like Councilor DiFlorio may read our board. Talk about putting the cart before the horse; already concerned about signage changes before we get any agreement as to whether or not this is a good idea. We can't enforce what already on the books. Why will this be any different? On top of that, I just don't see the need. Try enforcing the 20 foot rule first for a while to see if this is really needed.

If none of the other communities that already have a shoveling ordinance don't have any type of exception for the elderly or the disabled, I don't have a lot faith that our friends will be able to come up with anything to address the issues on their own to everyone's satisfaction. Sorry, just being honest. Was Councilor Simonelli serious about the city plowing all of the sidewalks?

I have to agree with Peter Napolitano; this piece doesn't belong in R&O and maybe not any committee. The chief of police has the authority to declare a snow emergency according to Section 18-132 of the Revised Ordinances of the city. He uses his best judgment based upon a number of sources of data and by consulting with the appropriate people. What else is there to legislate? Clearing catch basins, wide spread flooding and plowing to the curbs? My brother wants to know if he can write the city a ticket if they don't do any of those things. Bottom line. If you're not satisfied with the city's snow removal efforts, pick up the phone and let them know your specific problem.

Sounds like the city is wracking up quite the snow removal bills. If the numbers that Mr Zaniboni was rattling off were overages (it wasn't quite clear) and the quick math I did in my head is correct, it sounded like we might be over budget by around $400,000 already. That's OK. We can just add it to the tax levy since those expenses can fall outside of Prop 2 1/2. Wonderful.

I have no idea if the city has received its new snow removal equipment yet. I've always had questions about who they were going to find to drive it anyways. Seems like my concerns about that were legitimate.

Long meeting for a fifteen agenda items. Seems like they are using a sign-in sheet though; good move in my opinion. Millie Cardello seemed very much in control though for the most part. Not bad for her second full meeting as president. There still seem like there are a couple of people who want to monopolize things. Maybe they don't get to speak at home. She is going to have to cut them off a little more forcefully if they don't come around on their own.

The microphone issues are just plain ridiculous; the upgrade is barely six months old. And I don't get why they can't be tested and adjusted, if needed, before the meeting starts.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  04:50:03 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not only is the microphone issue just plain ridiculous, so is ECTV. Even the rerun of the Board of Alderman meeting last week was cutting off. I'm not buying it anymore about upgrades. This has been going on too long, and it all was right after Scott Councel was let go. I'm not saying things were perfect with Scott, but they never happened twice.
Go to Top of Page

OuttaHere

58 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  07:58:04 AM  Show Profile Send OuttaHere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The microphone issues are just plain ridiculous; the upgrade is barely six months old. And I don't get why they can't be tested and adjusted, if needed, before the meeting starts." I am offering my services sending smoke signals in place of these dopes from ECTV crawling all ovah da floor DURING the meeting foolin' with the microphones......it hasta work betta than doze chumps!
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  09:21:01 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wildfire132

Anyone watch the City Council meeting tonight? It looked like the Leo McKinnon show. Boy does he like to hear himself talk. Does he even know what he's doing? 3 hours for 15 items. Talk about beating a horse to death.

Although I believe Leo is one of the better one's on the common council, what a rehearsed act between him and Brian Zaniboni about the overages on snow and ice. Brian was not there for that, and it was so obvious. Is anyone there for the interest of the taxpayers anymore?
Go to Top of Page

Wildfire132

31 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  10:26:52 AM  Show Profile Send Wildfire132 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On item 14, did I hear right? Leo McKinnon took credit for the Blue Light Snow Emergency system? It's public knowledge that the system was suggested by a Everett High School student at a Student Government Day and pushed through by Anthony Ranieri, Peter Napolatano and Joe McGonagle. How bad is it when a coucilman thinks the public has a short memory and its okay to take credit for someone elses ideas and work. tisk, tisk, tisk.
Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  11:41:01 AM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it's an election year so everyone will take credit for anything
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  12:06:18 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't see it but I could have missed it. If he lied, someone should have corrected him.

What happened with item five and the firefighters reserve list? I think I missed that too.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  12:57:25 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that the reading of item 5 was waived and it was referred back to sponsors without any discussion.

I think that what Councilor McKinnon said that he was involved in the writing the ordinance that includes the blue light system. I took that to mean that he was a part of the committee that drafted the ordinance. By the way that he said it though, I could see how people could get the idea that he was taking credit for it. My real problem is that I've searched the ordinances on the city web site and I can't find such an ordinance. I'm not sure how up to date the ordinances on the city web site are though.

Thinking about it though, I'm not sure that there would be a need to include it in a ordinance as it just another method to inform the public of an emergency. Would we have to change the ordinances every time that a new technology becomes available that has the capability to inform the public of an emergency?
Go to Top of Page

michael

195 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  1:29:49 PM  Show Profile Send michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what is wrong with 16 & 3 I was watching the meeting and when it was getting good they cut it again, I am getting very upset at this bring back Scott Counsel
Go to Top of Page

Wildfire132

31 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  1:36:23 PM  Show Profile Send Wildfire132 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You hit it right on the head. Section 18-132 of the Revised Ordinances gives the Chief the authority and it was like that before McKinnon was on the Council. The Blue Light Snow Emergency system is just a tool and would not have been included in an ordinance for the very reason you mentioned, technology changes all the time. No I spoke with Ranieri and he was ripped. It seems Leo likes to put on a good dog & pony show at the regular meetings but hardly ever shows at committee meetings. I think that's why Napolitano went off on him when he tried to send this to R&O, but hey I could be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  1:59:01 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that Councilor Ranieri was pleased with the way that Councilor McKinnon jumped in ahead of him on his piece about Charter Review; it's customary that the sponsor of a piece is allowed to speak on it first. It's the one thing that President Cardello really messed up on last night. I think that he might have done it to get back at Councilor Ranieri for siding with Councilor Peter Napolitano (an usual pairing that we've seen more than once lately) on the snow emergency piece.

I wouldn't be surprised if Councilor McKinnon threw his name in for the Charter Review commission. If he and any of his buddies (you know who they are) try it, I'd have to agree with Councillor DiFlorio, vote down Charter Review. And while you are at it, don't vote for them for any other seat they are running for either.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2