Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Announcements
 Com Council/2009
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  12:05:04 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
REGULAR MEETING OF THE COMMON COUNCIL, MONDAY, MAY 4, 2009, 7:00 PM, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, 3RD FL., EVERETT, MASS

COMMUNICATIONS FROM HIS HONOR THE MAYOR

C0082-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To appropriate the amount of $248,000 from the Budgetary Fund Balance into the following accounts: $56,250.00 to Equipment Hire Account, and $191,750.00 to the Road Salt Account.

PAPERS FROM THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN

A0326-08 Ordinance/s/Aldermen L. Charles DiPerri, Robert J. Van Campen and Frank Nuzzo, Jr.
To add subsection to Section 21A. Adult Entertainment Land Use to include Fortune Tellers. (Joint Convention/Public Hearing held, enrolled sent down for enrollment.)

COMMUNICATIONS

C0050-09 Ordinance/s/Councilor Lou Sierra
Traffic Commission Report-To amend Chapter 18-144 Emergency or Weather Parking Limitations (a) and (b), and Chapter 18, Section 18-173 Official Traffic Signs by adding to the list kept on file in the City Clerk's Office, the following:
Intersection of Malden Street and Nichols Street. The purpose of the amendment is to establish an emergency artery and install an overhanging blue flashing (snow) emergency light at corner of Malden Street and Nichols Street; Intersection is already established as an emergency artery. No ordinance required. Blue Flashing Lights installed at the discretion of the DPW Director/Wire Department.

C0051-09 Ordinance/s/Councilors Anthony Ranieri, Cynthia Sarnie and Alderman Sal Sachetta
Traffic Commission Report - To amend the one hour parking ordinance by adding 187-203 Main Street from 8 am to 5pm Monday through Saturday; approved for immediate 45-day trial period. The change will become permanent if approved by City Council

COMMITTEE REPORTS

C0055-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
Finance Committee Report on the Resolution to have a plan put into effect that would be fiscally feasible to the City to help save Police and Fire Department jobs from said cuts or layoffs for this fiscal year; with a recommendation to refer to the Mayor and that the Mayor present the Budget Committee with his plan to avoid layoffs.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

C0056-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
That the Mayor look into effecting 5% or 5-year buy back that would avoid layoffs for all city employees including public safety with the total numbers of employees throughout the City.

C0047-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Leo McKinnon
Relative to establishments within the City of Everett that have Police details to be able to be opened and granted a 2 a.m. license to operate.

NEW BUSINESS

C0071-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Leo McKinnon
To request Mayor appear to explain how the beautification program is now running, and also is it going to go out to bid for contractor, and if it is happening, why that it is happening.

C0072-09 Order/s/Councilor William Cardello
A Petition to the Great and General Court regarding AN ACT ELIMINATING PRELIMINARY ELECTIONS IN EVERETT IN 2009

C0073-09 Resolution/s/Councilor William L. Cardello
That the Mayor give us the results of the R.F. Walsh report about the study on municipal buildings, and see if there is an RFP going out yet on the High School.

C0074-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano
That the Mayor, City Solicitor and Director of the Board of Health appear to give an update on the current situation with Wood Waste of Boston. Specifically, to discuss what is happening in Newburyport and what is happening between the City of Everett and Wood Waste of Boston.

C0075-09 Order/s/Councilor Catherine Tomassi Hicks
That the intersecting corner of Clark Street and Main Street be dedicated and named the “THE THOMAS DELANO SQUARE” in honor of Mr. Delano who was killed in WWII on the SHIP USS BRONSON.

C0076-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Peter A. Napolitano
That the Fire Chief appear before the Common Council to describe the type of cost cuts he is implementing in light of drastic reductions in State Local Aid.

C0077-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Peter A. Napolitano
Due to drastic cuts in Public Safety monies by the State and level funding in Education monies, that the School Committee reconsider funding the School Crossing Guard Program in the interests of working together and better serving our community.

C0078-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Peter A. Napolitano
That Mass Highway fill the potholes on Route 16, Everett, in front of 1763 Revere Beach Parkway, at the request of local businesses.

C0079-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Stephen Simonelli
To invite the Everett Board of Health to this meeting Monday, May 4th, to give a written update of the removing of piles at Wood Waste of Boston, in compliance with the Agreement with the City of Everett. Also, answer the following: *How many truckloads of debris per day are they removing, and where is it going. *The watering down of piles for dust control; and *Controlling the odors and metering the air quality, as prescribed by the DEP, and *any other violations pertaining to the Agreement between Wood Waste and the City of Everett.

C0080-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Stephen Simonelli
To seriously consider adding Vine Street, from Union to Nichols, Elm Street, from Reed Ave to Ferry, and Harvard Street, to the Mayor's priority list of streets to be resurfaced. All above mentioned in deplorable condition.

C0081-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Stephen Simonelli
To let it be known that this Saturday, May 9th, at 9 a.m., starting at Cherry Street Playground, the annual playground clean-up will take place in Ward Two. Volunteers welcomed.

C0083-09 Worksheet
Pursuant to Rule 17 of the Common Council, all resolutions requesting the repair, replacement or maintenance of pavement, sidewalks, traffic signals, signage, playground equipment, or other similar requests, shall be placed on a separate worksheet and voted on collectively at the next formal session, and, if passed, referred to the respective departments for their response back to sponsors.
1.Sponsor: Councilor Rosa DiFlorio-That the street-lines are repainted. Referred to: City Services Director and Sign Division.
2. Sponsor: Councilor Rosa DiFlorio-That all the signs that have graffiti on them throughout the City be cleaned and/or replaced. Referred to: City Services Director and Sign Division.

Adjournment

Respectfully submitted,
Caroline McCorry
Everett City Council Office
council@ci.everett.ma.us
Scheduled Meeting Dates:

5/6 6pm Committee on Rules & Ordinances Meeting
5/7 6:30pm Ward One Neighborhood Meeting
5/11 6:15pm License Committee Meeting
5/11 7pm Board of Aldermen Meeting
5/14 6pm Committee on Bills and Accounts Meeting
5/18 7pm Common Council Meeting
5/26 7pm Board of Aldermen Meeting

www.You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

socks

39 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  4:47:25 PM  Show Profile Send socks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
#7 - I'm confused about this piece. We are in jeopardy of having Police layoffs and crime has increased throughout the City.- Why would the City give any establishment a license to remain open until 2:00 a.m. whether or not they have a detail. I believe that this would open a whole new can of worms. Not everyone can handle their liquor and this would give them another hour of drinking time. Before long, other businesses will be asking for the same thing.
Go to Top of Page

waterboy

101 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  9:31:46 PM  Show Profile Send waterboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
C0072-09 Order/s/Councilor William Cardello
A Petition to the Great and General Court regarding AN ACT ELIMINATING PRELIMINARY ELECTIONS IN EVERETT IN 2009

cardello is worried about a primary, his job is on the line if ward five has an primary. Hope they vote this down I will contact the secretary of state's office tomorrow, it's like they are telling us how to vote now with no primary.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  10:13:50 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope this fails, big time. This is not right.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

Fran

250 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  08:26:38 AM  Show Profile Send Fran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the Board of Alderman wants a curfew for kids while Leo McKinnon wants to keep the bars open longer to 2 PM. With the proposed police layoffs am I missing something here? Whose going to herd the lids home at 10 PM and then handle all the people coming in from surrounding communities come in for last call while the locals get to pound another drink before driving home. It's totally WARPED!
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  8:57:36 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
7. C0047-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Leo McKinnon
Relative to establishments within the City of Everett that have Police details to be able to be opened and granted a 2 a.m. license to operate.

Why is this in the calendar again? I think the Chief’s explanation was good enough. We don’t have the manpower for this kind of trouble, and when alcohol is involved at late hours of the night, that’s exactly what you are going to get, is trouble.

8.C0071-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Leo McKinnon
To request Mayor appear to explain how the beautification program is now running, and also is it going to go out to bid for contractor, and if it is happening, why that it is happening.

Its funny Leo is questioning how the beatification program will go out to bid. NOTHING has gone out to bid, because Jill Barringer is overwhelmed. What she does is pick off a state list, rather than using the bidding process, which would save the city TONS of money. Drunken Sailor spending still and no one on the council is questioning why. I just don’t get it.

9.C0072-09 Order/s/Councilor William Cardello
A Petition to the Great and General Court regarding AN ACT ELIMINATING PRELIMINARY ELECTIONS IN EVERETT IN 2009.

Does Billy Cardello like looking foolish? I don’t recall him bringing this up in years past, and now all of a sudden because at least five people in ward five have pulled papers, he wants to eliminate preliminary elections? Let’s not forget, he always receives the least votes and I’m certain he will be voted out this year.

11.C0074-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano
That the Mayor, City Solicitor and Director of the Board of Health appear to give an update on the current situation with Wood Waste of Boston. Specifically, to discuss what is happening in Newburyport and what is happening between the City of Everett and Wood Waste of Boston.

16. C0079-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Stephen Simonelli
To invite the Everett Board of Health to this meeting Monday, May 4th, to give a written update of the removing of piles at Wood Waste of Boston, in compliance with the Agreement with the City of Everett. Also, answer the following: *How many truckloads of debris per day are they removing, and where is it going. *The watering down of piles for dust control; and *Controlling the odors and metering the air quality, as prescribed by the DEP, and *any other violations pertaining to the Agreement between Wood Waste and the City of Everett.

11 and 16 are basically the same. I don’t blame Daniel or Stephen because they probably didn’t know each other put it on the agenda. It does not surprise me that Steve Simonelli put in on, but I’m curious why Daniel put it on. Has he ever backed Steve in all his quests with Wood Waste? The only person on the Common Council I ever saw back him was K- Hicks.

Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  08:02:09 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I'm happy that the city's snow removal expenditure overages are being addressed using free cash rather than adding them onto the next year's tax levy (which is how they were handled last year), these overages are staggering. The FY09 equipment hire line item was overspent by just over 200% and the FY09 road salt line item was overspent by just under 110%. I realize that these expenses are wildly unpredictable but now we have a better idea of what it cost to maintain the streets last winter, whatever you thought of the effort. The numbers may also be disappointing because we were originally led to believe that the acquisition of the new city services equipment would eliminate the need to hire outside contractors. But the bulk of that new equipment did not show up until well after the first snowfall. We were also told later that the city would continue to have to hire outside contractors for larger storms. So, it is what it is. If this transfer isn't approved, the money will just get added to the tax levy this fall, as allowed by MGL.

Does anyone do their homework any more? One (or more) of the streets is already established as an emergency artery. I'd guess Nichols Street. As I have said before, there's blue flashing light a couple of blocks closer to Ferry Street on Nichols. Malden and Nichols would probably make more sense for that light. But as I also said before, maybe there is some type of physical limitation on where those lights can be placed.

I think that the wording of the recommendation returned by the Finance Committee is more appropriate than what was in this resolution previously. But, other than that, I wonder if anything else was really accomplished by sending this piece to a second, albeit a different, committee?

6. + 7.
Are these two items going become the type of items that just won't go away? (BTW, are those signs at Best Buy helping or not?). Let's hope that we get some clarity and direction towards, if not complete, closure on these two items Monday night.

I thought the beautification program was supposed to be running from donations, mostly anyways; I'd have to believe that City Services has some involvement, at least. I don't know of anything that would have changed that. Even though it's funded that way, I believe that it would still need to go thru the normal procurement process for any paid services. I'm not sure where Councilor McKinnon is going with this piece. Maybe it's just worded incorrectly; it doesn't make sense otherwise.

I'm assuming that Councilor Billy Cardello is proposing this piece as a cost savings measure. Until we know who is going to run for what seats, we won't even know if the city will need to have a primary. I think that it will be tough to get the State Legislature's attention on this piece in a timely manner as it would have to be in order to eliminate the primary. I had thoughts similar to some others on the board that there might be another reason for this piece. But unless there are more than six candidates for the three Ward 5 council seats, there won't be a need for a primary in that race at all.

If the study on municipal buildings is complete, it should be made public. As of July 1, the city will become responsible for the costs of running and maintaining the old high school. I'll assume that Councilor Billy Cardello's interest in this is to help to minimize the city's expenses. However, from prior comments that the councilor has made at CCl meetings, he may have a horse in this race. Let's just hope that this piece was put on the agenda for the right reasons.

11. + 16.
First off, why the dueling Wood Waste pieces? As much as some councilors may have been fighting this battle for years, I don't think, like him or not, that it can be denied that Councilor Simonelli has spearheaded the most recent efforts from the Council to address and raise awareness of the Wood Waste issue. Some may question his motives for that; but I don't. I do think though that Councilor Daniel Napolitano might have shown a little more respect if he had picked up a phone and called Councilor Simonelli to ask if he would co-sponsor a piece with him to make sure that Wood Waste was on the agenda this week. Do I know if that happened or not? Of course not. But if it had, I'd have to assume that this agenda would look different. It's been reported that the other members of the Common Council have little respect for Councilor Simonelli. I think that helps to support that notion.

It's probably a good week to have Wood Waste on the agenda. The first eight weeks of the consent agreement are now up. If they wait a little while on Monday night before they take these pieces, the result of the Wood Waste's ZBA hearing may be known. And, probably most importantly, Friday's press release from the AG's office may provide some real relief for Everett and, hopefully, for the residents near the landfill. It's probably a good time to fill us in on any other details about the agreement that may be available. And as much as this sounds like it will be a good thing for Everett, let's hope that the right thing is being done for the residents of Newburyport. Unfortunately, past history indicates otherwise; let's hope that changes.

I don't get it. I know that the wording of the piece is somewhat general but what's the difference between this piece and some of previous pieces looking at Fire Department cuts? The budget isn't final and negotiations are on-going. So, I thought that they shouldn't be discussing this yet. What's changed? I'm not sure where this piece is going; seems to be something of a recurring theme this week.

I thought that it was fair to ask the School Department to pick up the cost of the crossing guards. But then I realized that I needed to do my homework and do a little research. According to the DESE (formerly DOE) website, the expenses of crossing guards can not be counted towards Net School Spending. Because Everett's school budget only gets funded to the minimum Net School Spending level, there are not any funds that the School Department has that could be used for the crossing guards and still meet Net School Spending requirements. Remember, not that I agree with it; just the way it is. As evidence, I present a link to the DESE web site:

You must be logged in to see this link.

On that page, click on "Advisory on School Budgets and Municipal Expenditures". That will take you to a page that spells out the exclusion. Even though that page is labeled as "Archived Information", it is linked to a current page; so I have to believe that the information is still correct. Also, If you so a little searching around the 'net, it appears that other communities have run up against this issue as well.

I'm sure that there are probably some potholes at this location that need addressing. But, what about just down the Parkway, at the intersection of Vine Street, where the road is falling apart? I'm not sure who has the responsibility for it and neither will anyone else probably.

Here's old chestnut that hasn't see the light of day for awhile. Why isn't there a better system for determining which streets need to get done and their priority?
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  11:31:32 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I missed the meeting last night. Anyone care to update?

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  12:49:52 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, these comments are really late this week but there was too much going on last night all around and a lot that I wanted to address from this meeting in particular.

I usually complain when no one asks how much money is in free cash before they approve a transfer from it. I think that the City Council members should have a pretty good idea of how much free cash there is this year though. But, I think that it would be a good idea to always let the community know where free cash stands before a transfer is made from it. It actually has been easier to keep track of it because there really haven't been a lot of free cash transfers so far this fiscal year. I can't provide an exact figure because we never get an exact starting free cash amount; but after this transfer, the amount of remaining free cash will be in the $4.9 - $5 million range. And just so Councilor Simonelli knows, neither the equipment hire or the road salt line items for FY09 were cut during the last budget hearings. One more thing. It appeared that Councilor Ranieri left the floor when this item was discussed; I assuming that was because he works in City Services. So does Councilor Cornelio. Why did he remain on the floor for this item then?

I think that it's a little sad to hear about Councilor Sierra bellyaching about this piece. If it was so important, why didn't he do his homework? At least one of the streets was already an emergency artery. Would have saved the piece a trip to the Traffic Commission. When it's been on the agenda before, he's either not been at the meeting or he left early. If all it really boiled down to is moving or installing a blue light, it seemed that all that was required was to ask the mayor and it may be addressed quickly (we'll see at least). And I'm sorry, but I agree with the Mayor; if it is snowing out, how hard is it to check to see if a snow emergency has been declared? No blue lights in my direct line of sight as I enter the city and go home either. I have no problem adding or moving a blue light to that location though, as long as it is not cost prohibitive.

Hasn't the Traffic Commission ever run a trial period before? It shouldn't be so hard to come up with the language needed for a corresponding agenda item. And although, procedurally, it probably doesn't need to go to the BOA before they start a trial period, if the BOA happened to be against the piece, why should a trial even be done? A similar traffic related trial happened last year on Hall Ave and the piece ended up getting voted down after the trial period by the other body.

I don't understand why it was necessary to modify the wording of the recommendation of this piece before sending it out to the Mayor; Councilor McKinnon is a member of the Finance Committee that approved this latest recommendation. Their recommendation worked for me.

I don't know what report Councilor McKinnon has but, the two reports on the Everett page of the PERAC web site (You must be logged in to see this link. and You must be logged in to see this link.) appear to show that, in long run at least, this program cost the city money last time it was run. I'm not an actuarial (add it to the list) but, I just don’t see how this is a winning proposition for the taxpayer.

I guess Councilor McKinnon is finally satisfied (or can't get an answer he likes better) with the 2 AM liquor licenses than the "case by case review" answer that we got on this item weeks ago. I still think that it's going in the wrong direction, especially in the light of possible public safety cuts.

I can certainly understand why there's some confusion about what is done being done by the beautification program and what is being handled under the city's landscaping contract program; trying to follow this discussion last night was very difficult. It sounds like the administration had to rethink some of their plans for the beautification program. Why does this not surprise me? It's seems to be an on-going issue that they have a tough time get things right the first time. I'm glad that the beautification efforts are being done with private funds because I disagree with the mayor. If it came down to beautification or public safety, I know where I'd want the tax money spent. I'd be fine with just cutting the weeds.

It does seem silly to run a primary when many (most?) of the 35 elected seats usually are unopposed or have less than the number of candidates that require a primary. But, it is the law of the city. And how many of us would have been happy if someone wanted to eliminate the primary two years ago? Of course, then there's always the issue of whether or not a home rule petition could make it thru the legislature in time. I'm not sure how long it would be fair to keep someone who maybe facing a primary waiting to know what they should be doing. I'd like to see what the local papers will have to say about this too.

So, the study isn't back yet. But I think if you read between the lines last night, you'd come away with the definite impression that there aren't any plans from the DeMaria administration to put the building up for sale any time soon. I'm not necessarily against that but the city needs to be very cognizant of the cost of keeping the building and what, if anything they'll be able to do with it ultimately. Especially in these precarious financial times. It seems like this could become the new hot button issue in the city though.

11. + 16.
So, now that the Wood Waste issue is "resolved" and everybody's on a ego trip. After Councilor Simonelli got rebuffed for claiming some credit, I noticed that most everyone who may have been involved in some fashion made sure to claim their share of the credit as well. Realistically, while they may all deserve a little credit, the city wouldn't be anywhere if the logjam in Newburyport hadn't been broken. How much credit can anyone in Everett take credit for that? How many times did the Mayor tells us that his hands were tied because of the landfill issues? And maybe, they shouldn't be counting their chickens before they hatch either. Let's not forget that Mr. Thibeault has a very spotty record living up to his agreements, for whatever reasons. Don’t get me wrong; it's great news. But, perhaps the jumping jacks and the love fest should be saved until the piles are actually gone.

I'm still not sure what, if any, new, substantive ground was covered by this piece. I do agree though that fire trucks seem to be at McKinnon's and/or DiBlasi's a lot. I thought I was the only one that noticed that. I'm pretty sure that it is usually on the way back from somewhere though, especially given the relative proximity of the Hancock Street station. And since it came up on this piece, I'm not in favor of anyone taking home a city vehicle if they don't live in the city. Why should we be paying for their commute?

Just so everyone understands, those communities with school departments that can afford to pay for crossing guards are funded at a sufficient level above net school spending requirements that they can absorb it in their budget. Since Everett's schools are barely funded at the net school spending level and the cost of the crossing guards can't be counted towards net school spending, there is no money in the school budget to cover this cost unless the city wants to come up short on its Chapter 70 obligations and suffer the possible consequences. Don't get me wrong; I like the idea but the financials of it just don't work out in Everett.

Last year, the decision of which streets got done was made by an ad hoc committee that the Mayor allowed all of the City Council members to participate in, if they so chose. Maybe there is a different way they are handling it this year. But, we were never informed of it; maybe we don't need to know. Seems like Councilor Simonelli may not be aware of it either.

Looks likes I'll have start reading the Worksheet item more closely.

I like the idea of making kids clean up their own graffiti but how many of them actually get caught doing it?

After almost a year and a half, it is disappointing to see that the Mayor still doesn't know how to conduct himself when he's at the podium at city meetings. If he's having issues with the members, he should be turning to the president of the board with his problems first. I'm sure that he wouldn't appreciate it if someone made the same crack on him in a public meeting that he made on Councilor Simonelli. I hear that there were a lot of groans from the police and fire personnel in the audience when that statement was made. Rightfully so. Councilor Simonelli can certainly be a load to handle but the Mayor certainly doesn't do himself any favors when he behaves like that. It's not the school yard.
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  1:05:38 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tetris....I have been looking for definitions/formulas for net school spending with no luck finding anything. How were you able to determine that we are barely funded to the proper level.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  3:17:40 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd suggest starting with the DESE web site and the budget documents on the city web site. Here's a link to the DESE web site page: You must be logged in to see this link.

My analysis of the funding issue is also based on info from the last two years of school department budget presentation data that I keep in a spreadsheet. Some may not chose not to rely on it but the numbers that can be tied back to the DESE web site do. The data that is needed from this presentation to do the actual calculations are the chargeback numbers (charges for services that the city provides to the schools), In FY08, that number was $7,800,000; in FY09, it was $10,327,429.

The money that would have to be used to pay for crossing guards would have to come out any money that the city gives to the school department above and beyond the minimum contribution mandated by the state. Last year, that amount turned out to be $36, basically to round off the number to the next hundred dollars; in the the prior year, it was $256,731. I'd assume that the city's FY10 contribution would be similar to FY09. But as Councilor DiFlorio sort of stated last night, if money comes out of city funds rather than increased state funding, who actually pays for the crossing guards really is a moot point; it's all city money.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  09:02:53 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Presentations to outgoing Fire and Police Department Members)

AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA

REGULAR MEETING OF THE COMMON COUNCIL, MONDAY, MAY 18, 2009, 7:00 PM, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, 3RD FL., EVERETT, MASS

COMMUNICATIONS FROM HIS HONOR THE MAYOR
1. C0100-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
That the sum of $947,701.00 be appropriated from the Fiscal Year 2009 Budgetary Fund Balance to be applied to the Fiscal Year 2010 Tax Levy. The purpose of this is to restore the Local 25 union members and six firefighter positions.

2. C0101-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $50.00 from Mr. and Mrs. Joseph DeVito to the Mayor's Office of Human Services-Emergency Services Program.

3. C0102-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To transfer $1,200.00 from Coin Account to the Parking Clerk's Longevity Account. This will correct an oversight and allow Paul Kelly to collect his longevity from the current and past fiscal years. It also pays Maureen Tringali her longevity for this fiscal year.

4. C0103-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the grant of $17,500.00 from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the Parlin and Shute Libraries. This grant will be used by the Parlin and Shute Libraries to cover the purchases of public access computers and peripherals for Everett residents.

5. C0104-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
That pursuant to a May 4, 2009 vote of the Everett School Committee, and in accordance with an agreement entered into on June 2, 2004 by former Mayor David Ragucci, that the sum of $723,000.00 is hereby authorized and appropriated from the Budgetary Fund Balance to the Everett Public Schools-Instructional Teacher Salaries Account for Medicaid Reimbursement funding.

PAPERS FROM THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN
6. A0146-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
To transfer the amount of $82,000.00 from the Health Account into the Employee Leave Buyback Account, to cover the costs of the early leave incentive program. (Passed sent down for concurrence)

7. A0147-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
To accept the donation of $300.00 from the following people to the Mayor's Office of Human Services-Gift Account. This grant will be used by the Mayor's Office of Human Services to support the Office of Human Services-Literacy Program for Everett Residents: Joyce Kutz & Bruce Hibbard $50.00, Linda and Mark Osburn $50.00, Eliane Sampaio $15.00, Billie-Ann Gallager $25.00, Helen Sawyer $25.00, Karen and Salvatore Ciccia $10.00, James and Carolyn Lightburn $25.00, Cabot Risk Strategies LLC $100.00. (Passed sent down for concurrence)

8. A0326-08 Ordinance/s/Aldermen L. Charles DiPerri, Robert J. Van Campen and Frank Nuzzo, Jr.
To add subsection to Section 21A. Adult Entertainment Land Use to include Fortune Tellers. (Ordained sent down for ordainment)

9. A0131-09 Ordinance/s/Aldermen Salvatore Sachetta and L. Charles DiPerri
An Ordinance creating a Home Occupation Permit and process. (Enrolled sent down for enrollment)

COMMUNICATIONS
10. C0075-09 Order/s/Councilor Catherine Tomassi Hicks
Favorable recommendation from the Department of Veteran Services-That the intersecting corner of Clark Street and Main Street be dedicated and named the “THE THOMAS DELANO SQUARE” in honor of Mr. Delano who was killed in WWII on the SHIP USS BRONSON.

11. C0077-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Peter A. Napolitano
Communication from the School Department relative to the School Committee reconsider funding the School Crossing Guard Program.

COMMITTEE REPORTS
12. A0311-08 Ordinance/s/Alderman Robert J. Van Campen
Rules & Ordinances Committee Report -That the City of Everett enact a "Social Host Responsibility" Ordinance thereby prohibiting the services to and consumption of alcoholic beverages and drugs by persons under the age of twenty-one (21) at private premises located within the City. (Enrolled sent down for enrollment); with a recommendation for favorable action pending the Assistant City Solicitor's opinion on the legality of incorporating community service into the penalty provision of ordinance.

13. C0048-09 Ordinance/s/Councilors Millie Cardello, Peter Napolitano and Sergio Cornelio
Rules & Ordinances Committee Report-To amend Chapter 13, "Offenses and Miscellaneous Provisions" of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett by adding new Section, as follows: “Section 13-23 Sex Offender Residency Restrictions." This Ordinance would regulate the distance a Level 3 sex offender can live from a school, park, or day care center; with a recommendation to grant further time in the Rules & Ordinances Committee.

14. C0057-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Rosa DiFlorio
Rules & Ordinances Committee Report-That due to the increased number of complaints regarding bed bugs in the State, that the City of Everett implement a mattress disposal program to avoid the spread of bed bugs through the acquisition of used and infected mattresses; with a recommendation to refer to the City Solicitor and City Services Commission to establish mattress disposal regulations.

15. C0058-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Rosa DiFlorio
Rules & Ordinances Committee Report-That the City Council consider a program to deal with the increasing amount of furniture and other large household goods that are put out to trash by tenants who are vacating their rental property; with a recommendation to refer back to Sponsor.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS
16. C0050-09 Ordinance/s/Councilor Lou Sierra
The purpose of the amendment is to establish an emergency artery and install an overhanging blue flashing (snow) emergency light at corner of Malden Street and Nichols Street. This is the second request. (5/4-Referred to Mayor with request for response this meeting)

17. C0073-09 Resolution/s/Councilor William L. Cardello
That the Mayor give us the results of the R.F. Walsh report about the study on municipal buildings, and see if there is an RFP going out yet on the High School. (5/4 Referred to Mayor with request for response this meeting)

NEW BUSINESS
18. C0085-09 Ordinance/s/Councilors Millie Cardello, Sergio Cornelio, Peter A. Napolitano, Aldermen Frank Nuzzo and Wayne Matewsky
That the City of Everett establish a "No Heavy Trucking" on the length of Bow Street and establish alternate truck routes.

19. C0086-09 Resolution/s/Councilors Millie Cardello, Sergio Cornelio, Peter A. Napolitano, Alderman Frank Nuzzo and Wayne Matewsky
That ECTV continue to post a public service announcement containing the phone number for Everett residents who wish to complain to Mass Port regarding low flying airplane noise.

20. C0087-09 Resolution/s/Councilors Millie Cardello, Sergio Cornelio, Peter A. Napolitano, Aldermen Frank Nuzzo and Wayne Matewsky
That ECTV post a public service announcement containing the instructions and phone number to report a burned out street light to the electric company.

21. C0088-09 Resolution/s/Councilors Millie Cardello, Sergio Cornelio and Peter A. Napolitano
That all city council committee minutes be posted on the city web by committee for public viewing.

22. C0089-09 Resolution/s/Councilors Millie Cardello, Sergio Cornelio, Peter A. Napolitano, Aldermen Frank Nuzzo and Wayne Matewsky
That the State Police establish a consistent presence at the rotary of Sweetzer Circle during peak traffic hours.

23. C0090-09 Resolution/s/Councilors Millie Cardello, Sergio Cornelio, Peter A. Napolitano, Aldermen Frank Nuzzo and Wayne Matewsky
That the Everett Police enforce the law regarding the blocking of hydrants on Spring Street during events at the Everett Stadium and Connolly Center, at the request of the residents.

24. C0091-09 Resolution/s/Councilors Millie Cardello, Sergio Cornelio, Peter A. Napolitano, Aldermen Frank Nuzzo and Wayne Matewsky
That the Chief of Police meet with the State Police to coordinate traffic enforcement on Route 16 during peak hours at the request of the abutting residents.

25. C0092-09 Resolution/s/Councilors Millie Cardello, Sergio Cornelio, Peter A. Napolitano, Aldermen Frank Nuzzo and Wayne Matewsky
That the Everett Police Traffic Department set-up the radar sign and be aware of speeding complaints from the residents of the following streets: Vine Street-between Union Street and Chelsea Street; Clinton Street-between Summer Street and Cottage Street; Spring Street; and Chelsea Street-in the vicinity of 30 Chelsea Street.

26. C0093-09 Resolution/s/Councilors Millie Cardello, Sergio Cornelio, Peter A. Napolitano, Aldermen Frank Nuzzo and Wayne Matewsky
That the Mayor and the Fire Chief meet with the public safety committee to discuss fire safety at the Exxon site.

27. C0094-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Catherine Tomassi Hicks
That the CETF contact the DCR to cut the grass at 66 Main Street and Spaulding Street. After numerous requests, the surrounding residents are getting frustrated with lack of attention in these areas.

28. C0095-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Catherine Tomassi Hicks
That the CETF investigate the status of the two abandoned lots at 78 Main Street. Residents are concerned about what is going on with them, and want to know who is responsible for the upkeep of the property.

29. C0096-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Stephen Simonelli
To invite the Mayor to this meeting to update on the proposed resale of the old city yards.

30. C0097-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Stephen Simonelli
To invite the Community Development Director, along with a member of the Police Graffiti Unit, to appear at the next meeting June 1st, to give their opinion on using graffiti in a positive direction, that is, having a graffiti art show, similar to what other cities are doing.

31. C0098-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Lorrie Bruno
To discuss the work of the Park Division and have the basketball nets replaced at the Swan Street Park.

32. C0099-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Rosa DiFlorio
To invite the Police Chief to attend next meeting June 1st to discuss the duties of the animal control officer with regards to numerous complaints of dog feces.

33. C0105-09 CC Worksheet
Pursuant to Rule 17 of the Common Council, all resolutions requesting the repair, replacement or maintenance of pavement, sidewalks, traffic signals, signage, playground equipment, or other similar requests, shall be placed on a separate worksheet and voted on collectively at the next formal session, and, if passed, referred to the respective departments for their response back to sponsors.
1.Sponsor: Councilors Millie Cardello, Sergio Cornelio, Peter A. Napolitano, Aldermen Frank Nuzzo and Wayne Matewsky-That the City of Everett repave lower Vine Street between Chelsea Street and Route 16.
Referred to: City Services Director and City Engineer
2. Sponsor: Councilors Millie Cardello, Sergio Cornelio, Peter A. Napolitano, Aldermen Frank Nuzzo and Wayne Matewsky-That City Services fill the pothole on lower Broadway (Route99) between Grainger and McDonalds. Referred to: City Services Director
3. Sponsor: Councilors Millie Cardello, Sergio Cornelio, Peter A. Napolitano, Aldermen Frank Nuzzo and Wayne Matewsky-That City Services replace the missing “No Parking” signs that disappeared when the utility companies replaced the poles on Mystic Street.
Referred to: City Services Director
4. Sponsor: Councilors Millie Cardello, Sergio Cornelio, Peter A. Napolitano, Aldermen Frank Nuzzo and Wayne Matewsky-That City Services replace the defaced “Stop” sign on Orchard Street, at the intersection with Hampshire Street.

5. Sponsor: Councilors Millie Cardello, Sergio Cornelio, Peter A. Napolitano, Aldermen Frank Nuzzo and Wayne Matewsky-That City Services repaint the left turn only lines on Chelsea Street (east bound) at the intersection of Chelsea and Ferry Street.
6. Sponsor: Councilors Millie Cardello, Sergio Cornelio, Peter A. Napolitano, Aldermen Frank Nuzzo and Wayne Matewsky-That City Services cut down the tree at 179 Broadway and repair the uplifted sidewalk, as this is a safety hazard.

Adjournment

Respectfully submitted:
Caroline McCorry
Adm. Assist/. Ofc. Mgr.
Everett City Council Office
council@ci.everett.ma.us
SCHEDULED MEETINGS:
5/19 5:30PM SPECIAL BOARD OF ALDERMEN MEETING
5/19 6PM BUDGET HEARING
5/26 7PM BOARD OF ALDERMEN MEETING
5/28 6PM BUDGET HEARING
5/30 8AM BUDGET HEARING
6/1 7PM NEXT COMMON COUNCIL MEETING
6/2 6PM BUDGET HEARING
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  09:13:38 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
#1. What about the Police Department? I don't see them mentioned here.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

Splat

11 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  09:46:10 AM  Show Profile Send Splat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its unfortunate but the mayor will not help the police retain their jobs because Mazzie wants the demotions to pursue his own interests.

#1 = He has to demote at least one of the captains because that gets him his raise.. the demotion will cost that captain $15K p/year from his salary which is exactly how much the chiefs new raise is.

#2 = Mazzie has been trying for years to get a non-union deputy chief appointed by him but has always been turned down. Now is the perfect opportunity for him to get what he wants.

#3 = Mazzie has the Mayor convinced that the captains do nothing and being as dense as Demaria is.. he believes it and has made that statement to one of the captains being demoted.

#4 = Mazzie has personal differences with the guys he is demoting which is why he is so determined to make it happen even at the detriment of the city.

#5 = If it is budget issue then why did the chief just get a brand new $40,000 explorer compliments of the city? Fueled up at the city yards every week to drive to Boxfod?

Unfortunately this doesnt effect just the captains.. When they get demoted that also means demotions for the lieutenants and then sargeants.

WHATS HAPPENING IN THE POLICE DEPT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MONEY AND EVERYTHING TO DO WITH ONE MAN WITH NO CLASS OR SELF RESPECT PROMOTING HIS OWN INTERESTS AT THE EXPENSE OF THE CITY.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  10:07:54 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not want to see anyone loose their jobs, especially fire and police. We need them ALL.

The unfortunate thing is this is a one year delay tactic and it's only because it's an election year.

If free cash was the answer, why did he wait so long to make that decision and why did he decide to bring people back the same day the picket lines would have been in front of city hall? He decides on using free cash then? None of this makes any sense.

How is using free cash going to solve the long term problem? One year from now, we will be going through this again.

I have to agree with the morale at the police department and the spending. When morale is low, you are not that productive. These are all good points by Splat and I would think needs more looking into. I would contact everyone on the city council and demand answers.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2