Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Wood Waste
 Old City Yards
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  11:53:48 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found out that William Thibeault sold the old city yards for 6.9 million to Restaurant Depot.

He DOUBLED his money, THANKS MAYOR DEMARIA.

michael

195 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  2:36:14 PM  Show Profile Send michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
city of everett screwed again, good for thibeault
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  3:22:41 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's right, and I'm not forgetting all the blowhards on the council that all praised the deal and the ones that stood up and knew all about banking and the city would never get more money for that.

So much for the big development plans he had there too. It was all a line of crap all set up by Billy Thibeault, his legal representation, the administration and their puppets on the common council.

Wood Waste- 100

City of Everett- Big fat 0.

Edited by - Tails on 04/27/2009 3:25:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  4:37:14 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I just have to disagree. The city entered into an agreement to sell the city yards and a price was agreed upon back in 2001. The deal got held up mostly over a dispute with an abutter and the city's inability/unwillingness to discontinue Fourth Street. During the Hanlon administration, there was an effort of some type to see if the city could get out of the deal. That went nowhere as far as we know; in fact, Mr. Thibeault had filed a court case against the city because the sale continued to be held up. If in 2008, whoever the mayor was, tried to get out of that deal, it would have ended up in court. The city would have likely lost and would have been out court costs.

If the reported sale and price is true, I have no clue why a business like Restaurant Depot would so overpay for that piece of property. Sorry, Tails. It's not that I don't believe you; I just need to see some verification. The deal hasn't been filed with the Registry of Deeds yet anyways. All I could find on their web site of interest was a lien on the property because Mr. Thibeault hadn't paid all of a bill to install garage doors at the site. A possible indication of a change of plans but nothing more.

Restaurant Depot is not a business that needs to have a frontage on the parkway. I'm not sure what the deal with their Chelsea property is. I know, at one time at least, they did a very healthy business there. With the current state of the economy, I'm not sure how well the types of restaurants that would use them are doing. So unless they are losing their Chelsea location and can't find anywhere else in the general area to relocate to, it just makes little sense to overpay by so much.

I can't imagine that other local corporate property owners would be happy with this move either. Wasn't the paying of inflated prices for corporate properties one of the reasons that the city's corporate property tax rate went up so much last year?
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  6:27:30 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry you disagree, but the fact remains, this was never a proper sale. The 90 days was, and has always been, shrouded with political corruption.

Why is Restaurant Depot going there, it's not for me to understand. This is a new sale, and your public documents will be available soon, I'm sure.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  10:27:36 PM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its true this was talk tonight at the meeting and the alderman arnt happy that were stuck with a 6 acre ware house. This will bring minimum tax revenue and probably the same as a parking lot. He doubles the money and shoves it right up Everett’s ass.
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  10:40:51 AM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although a portion of your dissertation was based in accuracy Tetris, the reality of the matter remains that the former administration, whether you allow yourself to give them the credence they deserve or not, did fight to protect the people of Everett from being hoodwinked.

Whether you liked John Hanlon or not, it's been reported that he stood firmly against this sale and went nose to nose with the likes of Thibeault and his supporters time and time again. From what people say, (that were involved in this fight), there was substantial court activity based on whether the original sale was effected or not. It was the former administration's belief that the original sale activity was not valid. Obviously, that is water over the bridge now, since EOB and his minions have given Thibeault carte blanche. The stories that were circulated, at that time,(from people working closely involved), was that Hanlon wouldn't cow to Thibeault at all and that Thibeault blew his cool and flat out said he would "wait" till the next mayor came in and would "own the city". Obviously Thibeault was clairvoyant; he knew (or should we say paid for) the future.

I applaud you Tails. Nice Work!!! The information that you put out here early yesterday was substantiated last night at the BOA meeting. That being said, I think that we do ourselves a disservice when we lose perspective and attack each others enthusiasm. The issue here is clearly that the people of Everett are being sold down the river... yet again. We are victims once again, as we have been in the past, of the old shell game ..... We'll show you a shiny development with movie theatres, hotels, state of the art this and that and what do we get? "NOTHING"!!!!!.

This is so sad... on a variety of different levels. We sit behind our computers and spout our distain.... truly, to no avail. The reality of this horrific set of circumstances is that "unless" we come out from behind these computers and leave behind our personal comfort zones, pick up the gauntlet and actually "do" something.... we are doomed.

Whether that something is candidate support or attendance at public meetings to let our voices be heard..... the plain and simple of it is that we must put our public officials on notice that we expect more!!!! .

If history has proven anything, it is this: money and power trump common decency each and every time....

Sad but oh, so true.

"Cruller DaHville"
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  8:31:20 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry if anyone doesn't agree with my post from yesterday. I was aware that I was posting a contrary opinion to what seems to be the prevailing sentiment on this board that the Mayor is directly to blame for all of the issues associated with Mr. Thibeault. I certainly have my share of issues with the DeMaria administration but I'm not going to blame him entirely for every Thibeault issue, particularly this one.

I try to form my opinions on every individual issue from all of the facts that I'm aware of that I believe are germane to that particular issue, leaving out, or at least trying to acknowledge, any biases that I'm aware of. And that's all I come up with, my opinion. I don’t ask anyone to agree with them. I'm flattered if anyone considers any of my thoughts when they develop their own opinions but I'd prefer that everyone do just that, develop their own opinions. While I may dispute facts when I feel that they are wrong, I would never tell someone that their opinion is wrong; only that I disagree with it.

In this case, the most significant facts to me are that the city council gave their approval back in 2001 to sell the old city yards to Mr. Thibeault and no one was ever able to find a legal way to back out of the deal. I was actually a supporter of the idea of looking into voiding the sale of the old city at the time that it was presented to the city council by the Hanlon administration but I can't say that I was aware of as many facts about the issue at that time as I am now. I still would have been a supporter of the idea at that time, even with the additional knowledge that I have today. But once those possibilities were exhausted, it was necessary to go ahead and do what the city had already agreed to do, i.e., take whatever steps were necessary to move the sale forward, as galling as that may seem. And I'm not the only one that apparently feels that way. All of the elected officials that spoke at the planning board meeting last July spole in favor of the discontinuation of Fourth Street, essentially felt the same way. Although some of those elected officials have been labeled as "puppets" from time to time, I don't believe that anybody would classify Alderman DiPerri as such.

I am/was an unabashed critic of the Hanlon administration and readily admit that bias. But, I actually thought that I was giving them some form of a compliment in yesterday's post. Maybe I didn't explain it as well as I could have. The phrase "went nowhere" was not meant to indicate that the Hanlon administration did nothing to try to get the deal for the sale voided. I've heard or read (all of it on this board) a lot of the same anecdotal evidence about their efforts. I even included the word "effort" in my post. I thought that the information has been reported was widely enough that I didn't need to repeat it in detail again. The choice of words was only meant to convey that, apparently, the sale could not be stopped legally by the Hanlon administration. I can see how my words could be interpreted otherwise though. I'm convinced that if the sale could have been voided, it would have been under the Hanlon administration. But, bias alert. Before we give Hanlon too much credit for standing up to Mr. Thibeault, let's remember that he clearly backed the wrong horse in the race when he made his choice of a successor who would be entrusted to continue his fight on this issue. I think that we've all seen the DeMaria campaign video where he makes it very clear that he didn't agree with the Hanlon's administration stance on the sale of the old city yards. So, it's hard to believe that the former mayor didn't know the likely outcome of this issue; it just appears that he had other issues were more important to him instead.

Tails should know me well enough to know that I totally believed the information she provided yesterday morning. It's just that the amount of $6.9 million seems so absurd for that piece of property; this is just one of those instances where it's hard to comprehend until you see it with your own two eyes. And, to be truthful, there probably aren't many other people who could post that information and I wouldn't be at least somewhat skeptical about it. I'm far from an expert on commercial real estate, but that amount seems to be ridiculous. But sometimes, the price of something can only be determined by how much someone is willing to pay for it; the trick is finding the right someone. Somehow, Mr. Thibeault accomplished this, galling us all once again.

With all said, I couldn't agree with the last part of Cruller's post more; we all need to up our involvement in our city. Before I started posting here, I'd never been to a city meeting before; now, I've been to quite a few. I've stated on here before that I had limited contact with elected officials; that's changing as well. And it's not out of the realm of possibility that there might be a name that most people wouldn't recognize on the the ballot for a charter review seat. I enjoy what I do as Tetris but I know that there is more that I can do. All of this didn't come at once, it took time. Everyone may not be able to do as much but we all need to do whatever we can. We absolutely do need to let our elected officials that we expect more.
Go to Top of Page

socks

39 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  06:40:47 AM  Show Profile Send socks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"And it's not out of the realm of possibility that there might be a name that most people wouldn't recognize on the the ballot for a charter review seat. I enjoy what I do as Tetris but I know that there is more that I can do".

Tetris - For sometime now, I've thought that you should run for public office. I've learned quite a bit from you by reading your posts. I certainly hope that the quote above is an indication that you will be involved in City Government.

Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  09:28:43 AM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You state alot of valid points Tet; no denying that. However, especially in this forum ideas, thoughts and statements have been put out there for as long as I've been perusing this venue that are not so much reality based but emotion based.

I too strive to become more communally active. Through this journey, however, I have learned, that everyone brings something to the table. Some, more substantive than others.... absolutely!!! However, everyone does has value.

My point is precisely this...... it is unconsciouably easy to sideswipe someone and paint a negative picture. A forum such as this unfortunately lends itself to that and we, as participants, should strive more to explore each and every aspect of an issue and an individual before discarding them.

Unfortunately that has not been the case here. When I read your statement relative to the actions of the former administration I felt compelled to share since I feel strongly that we have measured their actions,in particular, substantially more harshly than others. Obviously, there were alot of issues to banter about there but not all things were as horrific as reported. Although I dont agree with this administration relative to the Woodwaste issue, I wouldn't be so short sighted as to say that there isn't something good about this administration.

Nothing is entirely all bad.

I, for one, am uncomfortable when we execute people outright without looking at the underlying reasons they are being assaulted.

Obviously Tet, you devour information, research it and share well organized thoughts with us all; however, sometimes I believe (and this goes for me as well) that we readily shoot the messenger before they arrive with the message.

Emotions run high in this city. All of us who have lived here our entire lives know this to be true. Especially in this climate, we are extremely frustrated with our inablility to be heard and our inability to get our elected officials to work for us.

Lets not lose sight of this. When we do, we become part of the problem we are trying so hard to fix.

"Cruller DaHville"
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  08:52:14 AM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I was thinking about this last night. I wondered...... How dismal do you think the tax return will be on this horror show of a deal?

This deal certainly won't line the municipalities coffers in any substantive manner.

"Cruller DaHville"
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  10:40:43 AM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I see the tax base benefit of this would be negligible. Its similiar to a Best Buy or BJ's.. just a large warehouse type structure with very little value..

Anyone?

"Cruller DaHville"
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  11:22:11 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably a little better than what was previously "planned" for there (Everett Business Center) but obviously nowhere near as good as we were ultimately promised. It could be a nicer building than the one that they have in Chelsea. Restaurant Depot has/had much nicer building in Dedham or Needham (can't remember which) right off Rt. 128; but, nicer is obviously a relative term. Let's see what we get but we'll probably always feel shortchanged because our expectations were built up.

Edited by - tetris on 04/30/2009 11:27:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  12:06:53 PM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well....... we should be asking them to "kiss us". Like to get kissed when we get !$#$%#...

"Cruller DaHville"
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  11:32:50 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was told there is a problem with the lease Restaurant Depot has in Chelsea and that is why they decided to buy the Old City Yards and relocate. Thibeault has every right to sell it. My problem is that we were told that more money could not be obtained for that property. That was a blatant lie, as this sale plainly shows.

Personally, I am disgusted with the dishonesty that has come from this Administration on a number of issues.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  08:26:39 AM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with you MD. This is America, a democracy and capitialism.

That being said..... we were blindsided and lied to..... dillusions of grandeur. Pretty pictures and lots and lots of rising in the Council Chambers speaking of how this individual was going to "better" our City.

Alas... and [i]no
big surprise... [i] we were lied to

"Cruller DaHville"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2