Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 Advocate 2010
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  8:28:31 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DiDomenico Senate Campaign Hosts Organizational Meeting

DiDomenico Senate Campaign Hosts Organizational Meeting
Everett Advocate 1/29/2010
By Keith Spencer
Councilor Sal DiDomenico addresses the volunteers and supporters who gathered at a recent organizational meeting for his recently announced State Senate campaign.
Last week, Councilor Sal DiDomenico announced his intentions to run for the state senate seat recently vacated by Anthony Galluccio. The popular ward-three representative is gearing up for the major effort, opening his campaign headquarters as well as hosting an organizational meeting with 100 volunteers earlier this week.

“We’ve come a long way from the ward three common council, haven’t we?” DiDomenico opened the meeting. “We have a strong base here in Everett, but we are going to do well across the entire district.”

“We are not going to concede any city or town to other candidates in this race, and we will run a hard race in each of these areas with your help.”

The meeting, held at the Silver Fox II, featured a flurry of Everett political leaders as well as dozens of residents ready to campaign for the well-liked councilor. Representatives from across the district came out to support DiDomenico, and offer their assistance in the campaign.

The meeting was attended by a majority of Everett’s elected officials, including Mayor Carlo DeMaria, Jr. and State Representatie Stephen “Stat” Smith, who both offered DiDomenico words of encouragement.

“People need to volunteer, and give as much time to this campaign as possible,” Mayor Carlo DeMaria urged those gathered. “Everett needs a state senator that lives in Everett.”

“Sal has always been a tremendous asset at the State House, assisting my staff and working hard for Everett,” Representative Smith added. “We have all the people in place to put Sal on top, and he obviously has great organization judging from tonight’s turnout.”

“When people are asking who Sal DiDomenico is, I am telling them that he is the winner in this race and a great friend to Everett.”

During the event, DiDomenico introduced campaign staff, including Chris Keohan who will serve as campaign manager. Keohan outlined the camp’s planned efforts to bring about victory come the April 13th primary and May general election.

“This campaign isn’t about flying out to Beverly Hills or using a popular last name,” Keohan stated. “This race is going to be about campaigning at the ground level, and we’re going to do it with your help.”
Campaign Manager Chris Koehan discusses the efforts underway to elect Councilor Sal DiDomenico who looks on with his wife, Tricia.

Staff members distributed campaign materials, including nomination sheets, bumper stickers and volunteer forms. With more than 2,000 phone calls already made to leaders and political activists in the area, the popular candidate is still earning commitments.

Keohan also announced the location of their Everett campaign headquarters in the Sachetta Building at 433 Broadway. The campaign has already organized a Facebook networking page, gathering 500 members in the first week alone. Their website, You must be logged in to see this link. will launch next week.

DiDomenico’s popularity in Everett and close-connections with politicians and influential leaders around the Commonwealth are sure to be an asset to his campaign. DiDomenico has already earned the endorsement of several state representatives as well as a flurry of local political leaders in the district.

Despite these endorsements, many of which will be officially announced in the coming weeks, the campaign is looking for as much help as possible. With election day less than three months away, several other candidates have already thrown their hats in the ring. The race will certainly be about money and the ability to raise a lot of it.

While it is uncertain how the other candidates will affect the race, it is clear from Tuesday’s meeting that DiDomenico is off to a great start, and will continue to be a frontrunner in the costly race.
More than 100 supporters and volunteers attended the organization meeting.
Written 36 minutes ago · Comment · LikeUnlike · Report Note
Write a comment...
In this note
No one.

"Just Clowning Around"

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  9:12:12 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read this on advocatenews.net and from what I saw at the Alderman’s meeting………Alderman McGonagle was the only no vote and he was the Alderman who brought up the liability issue too.

Beer, wine to be allowed on City property?

By a 6-1 vote, the board of aldermen Monday night advanced an ordinance that seeks to allow one-day beer and wine licenses to be issued to groups or organizations for special functions in city buildings or on city property, like a wine tasting event at the library or a banquet at the Connolly Center. The aldermen would be the issuing authority. Ward Four Ald. Chuck DiPerri, citing his concern about liability issues, was the only member to vote “no”. The measure now goes to the common council for its consideration.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  6:37:07 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The headline in tomorrow's Advocate is "Former mayor Hanlon running for State Rep".

Edited by - massdee on 03/18/2010 6:58:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  7:19:48 PM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it's already out, it comes out on thursday nites now no more friday's massdee already got my copy we will now have race and thank god for that
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  7:59:54 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the article describes him as "The well respected former mayor...". In The Advocate?? Really?? What does that tell ya?
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  8:55:54 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If nothing else it should be interesting....
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  7:52:17 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New municipal budget finalized by aldermen
By Keith C. Spencer

The Board of Alderman voted to approve the recommendation by the Committee of Whole on Budget to act favorably on their amended recommendations for FY2011 budget submitted by Mayor Carlo DeMaria, Jr. The Common Council approved the $139,001,593 spending plan last week after a series of sweeping cuts that totaled $388,000.

Before taking up any debate or discussion of the budget, the board passed an amendment that changed a Veterans Services line item for American flags to reflect an increase of $2,000 after no discussion by the board’s members. The change came at the recommendation of the Mayor and the Common Council who passed the measure up following a unanimous approval last week.

The board then moved to once again open discussion on the budget to which Budget Committee Chairman and Alderman President Robert Van Campen rose to address his colleagues. The alderman expressed his delight that the budget talks went “very well”, but still expressed his concerns regarding a number of items.

While Van Campen steered away from mentioning many particular line items or proposed cuts that were ignored, the committee chairman did express concern that some current practices at city hall cannot be continued in the future, including salary increases during this economic downturn.

“I do want to comment on the budget itself in terms of some of the salary increases that I saw and voted against,” Van Campen began, “but we are going through some difficult times now, and this budget contains increases of $8,000 for one position, $13,000 for another position, increases that quite frankly, I don’t think we should have been exploring this year.”

While Van Campen said these small items seem miniscule when compared to a $139 million budget, but pointed out that they eventually “all add up”. While the ward-five alderman debated voting against the budget, he ultimately decided to vote favorably as he believed it was in the best interest of the community.

“If I see this next year, I can’t support it because I don’t think it’s in the best long-term interest of the city,” Van Campen warned. “I just want to express my concern that this product needs to improve over time because the budget has some increases that people are just shaking their heads at, myself included.”

Alderman Sal Sachetta reiterated his colleagues concerns, noting a number of cuts he suggested had been ignored as well. However, the most verbal in his disapproval of the budget as presented was Alderman-at-Large Joe McGonagle who said he could not go along just to avoid creating problems.

“I am just very disappointed with the way we are spending money in this city,” McGonagle said. “Its outrageous, and it has to stop. It’s affecting all of us. It’s affecting the businesses. It’s affecting us, the taxpayers.”

McGonagle offered figures to support his outrage, most notably recalling that the city’s budget was $89 million in 2000, representing an increase of nearly $50 million.

“I won’t support this budget until the administration takes a serious look at cutting their spending,” McGonagle ended.

In the end, the order passed with Alderwoman Cardello, Aldermen Mangan, and Alderman Marchese all voting favorably, and noticeably silent on the issue in addition to Sachetta’s and Van Campen’s yay votes. Aldermen DiPerri, who also remained silent on the matter at Monday’s meeting, cast an opposing vote alongside Alderman-at-Large McGonagle.

DeMaria’s original proposed budget for FY2011 was set at $139, 387, 593 but was cut by $388,000 over the course of several budget hearings, including $65,000 in professional development for the assessing department, $20,000 for employee leave buy-back, and $293,000 from assorted city services accounts.

Following Monday’s meeting, the Mayor spoke on behalf of his administration, detailing their actions over the last several years as well as their progress addressing the concerns expressed by members of the council.

“I understand that we cannot all agree on the budget, and I appreciate the Council’s affirmation in moving forward,” DeMaria said in an interview Wednesday. “As economists have been saying, we’ve all been hit with the perfect storm, a recession, a loss in local aid, decreasing revenues, job losses, and a down real estate market.”

The Mayor reiterated his belief that there are costs that simply cannot be controlled, including pension, health insurance, and net school spending increases that took place over the last five years.

McGonagle’s discussion of figures was not entirely accurate, according to the Mayor, because it did not reflect or review any increases in the city’s fixed costs. According to DeMaria, the budget has increased $31 million since 2005 while fixed costs have also increased by $30.4 million.

“I’m proud that we’ve been able to control costs at city hall, and we’re not looking to bond every project,” DeMaria added. “We’re constantly looking for state aid, federal aid, and corporate partnerships, and I’m on board with my fellow Mayors in seeking state relief on healthcare, and pension reform.”

DeMaria also indicated the city is only funding the school system at the legal limit, and commended administrators and city officials for “a tremendous job” working with Chapter 70 funding which alleviates most of the city’s commitment.

The Mayor also discussed his proposal to add money for a capital improvement plan that he believes is necessary for “planning or developing distressed areas of the city”, and would cause the city “to pay more in the end” should these issues not be resolved.

“At the end of the day, we still have to invest in our community. People who live here want great services, clean parks, safe streets and sidewalks, and a functioning infrastructure.”

The Mayor has diligently tried “to eliminate the bloat” he has seen over the last fifteen years he has been involved in the budget process. According to DeMaria, department heads have not had any cost of living increases, and his administration cut $4 million out of the budget last year.

“Everett is blessed to be on the border with Boston, and now is the time to resurrect our industrial sectors, work to attract new corporations to our city, and it starts with our own infrastructure improvements.”

“We’re constantly looking to improve the way we operate, improve the structural elements of our government and how we spend our taxpayers money. This is not an easy task, however, I’m optimistic and continually looking to take the progressive route to plan for a better future.”
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  08:33:51 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone see that letter in the Advocate from Jason Marcus? Anyone know what's going on with him?
Go to Top of Page

Heisenberg

64 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  09:59:18 AM  Show Profile Send Heisenberg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What did the letter say? The Advocate website only goes until the 9th and I haven't received the paper yet.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  10:28:30 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone posted the letter over on Topix. I am copying and pasting it here for you.

i am third, the lord is first, my family and friends are second, I am third.
thank you jim mitchell for letting me publish my feelings thank you claire laidlaw the best person i have ever known who is compassionate and caring for the pain that has been endured, it's a day by day entity not knowing if you can get out of bed it's like a bullet in your head

thank you millie cardello rosa deflorio for your kindness

thank you to the people and friends for prayers cards putting my name on church list and temple lists.. I have been very sick in the hospital for that is never ending in my mind the only other time this pain was as bad is when my brother was murdered and stabbed 51 times in his neck

please keep on praying, I can't really say much else I guess it's been proven my mind is getting damaged.

I hope it's not for good but, there is a silver lining in all of this..I will be able to help other people with the same problem.

I will continue to do things such as volunterr for the perkins school for the blind mass hospital school for handicapped and big brother.

Go to Top of Page

Heisenberg

64 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  4:23:40 PM  Show Profile Send Heisenberg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by massdee

Someone posted the letter over on Topix. I am copying and pasting it here for you.

i am third, the lord is first, my family and friends are second, I am third.
thank you jim mitchell for letting me publish my feelings thank you claire laidlaw the best person i have ever known who is compassionate and caring for the pain that has been endured, it's a day by day entity not knowing if you can get out of bed it's like a bullet in your head

thank you millie cardello rosa deflorio for your kindness

thank you to the people and friends for prayers cards putting my name on church list and temple lists.. I have been very sick in the hospital for that is never ending in my mind the only other time this pain was as bad is when my brother was murdered and stabbed 51 times in his neck

please keep on praying, I can't really say much else I guess it's been proven my mind is getting damaged.

I hope it's not for good but, there is a silver lining in all of this..I will be able to help other people with the same problem.

I will continue to do things such as volunterr for the perkins school for the blind mass hospital school for handicapped and big brother.

I hope he's ok. I mean, politically speaking, I've never like Marcus but I certainly don't wish him any harm of any kind. That letter is just weird though.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  11:08:35 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think anyone wants him to be ill. I have to agree with you that letter is very strange.
Go to Top of Page

card

117 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  2:50:45 PM  Show Profile Send card a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TODAY'S ADVOCATE HAS HIT THE STREET HEADLINES WHAT ELSE IS NEW, MAYOR TO APPPOINT HEARING OFFICER TO ARBITRATE DISPUTES OF FINES AND LIENS. BOARD OF HEALTH BUILDING DEPT AND CODE ENFORCEMENT A HEARING OFFICER WILL BE CHOSEN..

LETS SEE WHO NEEDS A JOB??????????????

PAGE 4 MAYOR LOSES 35LBS, WANTS CITY EMPLOYEE'S TO GET HEALTHY,, BUT WAIT, HE HAD TO LOSE THE WEIGHT SO THE SURGERY COULD GO FORWARD, GIVE HIM TIME HE WILL BE EATING AGAIN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2