Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 Boston Globe 2010
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  10:16:56 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must be logged in to see this link.

Man deemed too dangerous to be released from jail

By Kim Ring TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

EAST BROOKFIELD — A Rutland man on probation for a 2009 assault on his wife was told today he would be held 90 days without bail to insure her safety after he allegedly assaulted her again and had to be subdued by police using a baton and pepper spray last month.

John L. Rutledge, a 51-year-old Everett firefighter, was declared too dangerous to be released, though his court-appointed lawyer James J. Kaeding said his client would stay with his sister in Saugus and would comply with conditions such as “house arrest.”

Mr. Rutledge was most recently accused of assaulting his wife at their home on Patriot Lane in November. Lucy Rutledge told police she waited until morning then went to the police station to report the incident. When Sgt. Ronald Friberg and Officer Christopher P. Giglio went to the house and asked Mr. Rutledge to step outside, he came out, swore at the officers and became aggressive as they tried to arrest him. Sgt. Friberg struck Mr. Rutledge twice on the outer thigh with a baton, Officer Giglio wrote in his report.

When Mr. Rutledge rushed at Sgt. Friberg, Officer Giglio sprayed him with pepper spray and the two men, along with Chief Donald A. Haapakoski, were able to place him in handcuffs, court documents state.

He was charged with assault with intent to murder, assault and battery, intimidation of a witness, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct and has been held since his arraignment that same day.

Last year Mr. Rutledge, who was on probation, was charged after he allegedly hit his wife in the head because the bacon she was cooking “wasn’t in a neat line,” she wrote in a statement. She told police at that time that he said, “You’re going to cause your own death.”

In the recent case, he made similar statements threatening her life, she wrote.

In December 2009, he pleaded guilty to a charge of assault and battery and was given a suspended sentence of 2-1/2 years in the Worcester County Jail and House of Correction in West Boylston.

On charges of failure to surrender his firearms and violating an abuse prevention order he was sentenced to 5 years’ probation and was also ordered to complete a batterer’s program and a special program for troubled veterans, to attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, remain drug- and alcohol-free and take all prescribed medications.

His lawyer said today that Mr. Rutledge, a veteran of two tours in Iraq during two separate wars, suffers from post traumatic stress disorder and saw “a great deal of combat.” He said Mr. Rutledge has also had some traumatic experiences while working with the Everett Fire Department. Mr. Rutledge has had problems in his relationship with his wife for the past few years and understands now that it “has to end,” his lawyer said.

Judge Robert Calagione said he was familiar with the case having sentenced Mr. Rutledge last year and ordered him held for 90 days without bail. He will be back in court on December 28 for a probation violation hearing and his wife was granted a one-year restraining order.

Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  1:08:50 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all, a Rutland man is an Everett firefighter?? Why??

What an embarrassment to the EFD. I do feel for him and what he's been through in wars ( I know first hand what that does to people) but there is so much help and support out there. It's not like when the soldiers came back from Vietnam. I know soldiers that have witnessed the most horrific scenes, and they did not come back hitting people weaker than them. This man has a history of this kind of domestic abuse and I don't care what was done, you don't put your hands on anyone, especially if they are weaker than you. I hope the mayor does something about this like remove him from EFD.
Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  5:02:32 PM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Text size – + Melrose
Melrose mayor may get 4.5 percent raise
E-mail | Link | Comments (1) Posted December 1, 2010 11:13 AM
The Melrose Board of Aldermen on Dec. 6 will consider a proposal to increase the salary of mayor by a total of 4.5 percent, from 2012 to 2013. Mayor Robert J. Dolan currently earns $95,563.

A mayoral term is four years, and the city will next elect a mayor next year, with the new term starting in Jan. 1, 2012.

The city charter does not allow elected officials to vote themselves raises. But salary changes can be approved six to 10 months before a primary election. That ensures that an increase would to whoever wins the election.

City financial officials developed the proposal to increase the mayor's salary. It calls for a 3.5 percent, to $98,907, effective Jan. 1, 2012. In 2013, the salary would increase by an additional 1 percent, to $99,896, according to a letter sent to the aldermen.

Dolan, who said he plans to run for reelection, said he has passed up raises in the past. "I was entitled to a raise this year, but we had a city wide raise freeze," he said. "Whoever wins the next election, will get the salary increase."

The appropriations committee will take up the proposal at 7 p.m., in the aldermen's chamber at City Hall. If approved by the committee, the proposal could be voted on by the full board during its regular meeting, scheduled for 7:45 p.m.

– Kathy McCabe

Twitter Digg Yahoo!Buzz ShareThis
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  6:19:49 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I felt this story was important enough to print and name the six parole board members that let Dominic Cinelli free, before completing his "three life sentences." The six that failed Officer John “Jack” Maguire are: Mark A. Conrad, Chairman, Doris Dottridge, Candace Kochin, Pamela Lombardini, Thomas F. Merigan Jr and Leticia Munoz.

Woburn officer’s killer shouldn’t have been on the streets
January 2, 2011

AS THE son of a Boston police officer who was killed in the line of duty, I am outraged by the circumstances leading to the death of Woburn Officer John Maguire, a married father of three who was planning to retire.

How did Dominic Cinelli get paroled? He was a violent career criminal serving consecutive life sentences and had shown complete disregard for the law by going AWOL on a one-day furlough in 1985 and committing five armed robberies during that time, including the attempted murder of a security guard.

In 2005, a state appeals court ruled he should be eligible for parole, according to a record of his parole hearing. The Parole Board released him in February 2009. The board noted: “Cinelli’s release to community supervision at this time is not incompatible with the welfare of society.’’

I heard the same words at the commutation hearings for the man who killed my dad, Detective James O’Leary, who was shot to death in 1963. I remember the public attorney pleading that keeping him in prison wouldn’t serve any further penal value. Fortunately, my family and the police unions generated enough public outrage so that the commutation was overturned in 1984 by Governor Michael Dukakis.

Let me also ask how does a guy like Kevin Dingwell — who was charged with being an accessory after the fact in the Woburn case — get bail of $1,000? What an insult to law enforcement and their families!

This horrific situation lies in the hands of Governor Deval Patrick and the Parole Board. Will they acknowledge they made a mistake? Where is the accountability? Aren’t there better candidates for parole than proven violent career criminals?

People, wake up! Let’s help protect and support those who are willing to sacrifice their lives on our behalf every day.

Jim O’Leary
Reading

© Copyright 2011 Globe Newspaper Company.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2