Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 City Hall
 Early Retirement
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  09:12:12 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Governor Patrick signed a bill in July allowing cities & towns to offer an early retirement incentive to employees. So while our mayor is recovering from his surgery, and not allowing anyone else to do the job, is our city being short changed?

This program can't turn into anything like that joke of a program Carlo had a couple of years ago that cost us money and gave back nothing! There are restrictions which positively affect the budget & pension fund. But....... one of them is that a city/town choosing to accept this program must submit a proposal to the state by September 27th.

I really believe this should be given some serious consideration but I'm concerned that Carlo isn't even aware of it. Or, like so much that he does, a decision will be left to the last minute and people will have insufficient time to properly evaluate the program and make an informed decision.

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2010 :  9:46:36 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I had read somewhere that Carlo had returned to work. I hope they do their due diligence on this one. This city needs to start cutting money from the budget.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2010 :  10:55:46 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The city is no where near cutting the budget. They voted last week to add 250K to the budget for hydrants. I realize they need to be fixed but there should be some accountability here, and I'm not seeing it. Who's responsible for letting them go so long in that deplorable condition? So..... now we just add to the already over inflated budget?? I don't understand why other monies were not used or even explored. If we are "so safe" like being "lead" to believe, then we should be exploring state funding. What about all the stimulus money that was received? This got approved by the common council last week without a word, as usual.

Early retirement incentive is a great idea but I would bet we will never hear about it.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2010 :  05:20:56 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by massdee

I thought I had read somewhere that Carlo had returned to work. I hope they do their due diligence on this one. This city needs to start cutting money from the budget.

As I understand it, he's been in city hall a couple of times for very short periods of time. Certainly not often enough, or long enough, to qualify as a return to work. Although he doesn't spend a lot of time in city hall anyway so maybe by his standards he has returned to work.

Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2010 :  09:31:10 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by justme

quote:

As I understand it, he's been in city hall a couple of times for very short periods of time. Certainly not often enough, or long enough, to qualify as a return to work. Although he doesn't spend a lot of time in city hall anyway so maybe by his standards he has returned to work.

You are too funny. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Seriously, why didn't he have the President of the Board of Alderman running the city while he has been recovering? It makes one think he was trying to hide something...

Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2010 :  6:05:58 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are too funny. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Seriously, why didn't he have the President of the Board of Alderman running the city while he has been recovering? It makes one think he was trying to hide something...

You know the answer to that............. He's afraid to let VanCampen into that office. Lord knows what he'd find. And, he may realize he likes that corner office. And, the voters may realize how well it suits him & us.......... Then, Carlo is back making donuts!
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2010 :  10:25:17 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like RVC and I feel he should have been running the city while the mayor was recovering. My problem with RVC is his indecisiveness. We all keep hearing he is running for various offices and it never comes to fruition. These people need to plunge in and take the chance instead of going for the sure thing. That said, I hope RVC or someone else runs for mayor in 2011.

How I wish McGonagle had won that first time around. I truly believe this city would be in better shape today.

We need someone with a knowledge of fiscal responsibility. I really hope someone jumps into this race and isn't afraid of all the money in the mayors war chest. Us little people need to get out there and back someone with our volunteering and financial help. The $5.00 and $10.00 contributions will help whoever decides to run.

We definitely need a change!!!
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  05:33:46 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has it been indecisiveness by RVC or wishful thinking by others? Whatever it is, I think he'd do a good job & we certainly are due. It's been a long time since we had someone with a brain in that office!

Last election I was told no one would run because they were afraid of Carlo's war chest. I don't see his money being a hindrance this time around. He's given potential opponents plenty of ammunition & people are disgusted with his attitude & the fiscal mismanagement.

I think whoever chooses to run will have plenty of support. I imagine they'll pull plenty of votes just because people are voting AGAINST Carlo!
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  10:32:09 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going with indecisiveness, twice he told me he was running for certain office's and he then backed away. Of course, that is his right.

As far as the war chest, that was only part of the reason no one ran last time. The potential candidates had polling done and the mayor's numbers came back very favorably, they felt he was unbeatable. That was then, I think it will be a different story next time around. One can hope, anyway!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2