Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 Boston Globe 2011
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2011 :  3:38:53 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, I think a lot of them loan their campaigns money. I wish I could find campaign finance reports for the local elections. I think those would be an interesting read.

Tetris, I was thinking the same thing about Sal.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2011 :  7:28:37 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Massdee,

Local campaign finance reports only get filed with the City Clerk. I don't think you'll ever find those posted on line. Since they are filed with the Clerk, I'd guess that they're public information and you could request a copy of anyones. I know; not the answering you were looking for.

Tails,

I'd forgotten that the paper made such a big deal about RVC's loan repayment. Thanks for reminding us of that.

Kittycat,

If that was your point about that the loan repayment, I'm sorry that it may have seemed like I was trying to minimize it; it certainly is a valid point. As I said, I forgot about the RVC thing, probably because I don't consider these loans a big deal as long as they are done legimately.

Edited by - tetris on 03/16/2011 7:30:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  09:48:22 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must be logged in to see this link.

This guy is living in Everett!

* FOX Undercover

UNDERCOVER: Ruling lets killer out while awaiting deportation -After …
Un-deportable, criminal illegal aliens released to the streets
Nearly 2,000 let go since 2008

Updated: Friday, 18 Mar 2011, 6:42 AM EDT
Published : Thursday, 17 Mar 2011, 10:51 PM EDT

(FOX 25 / MyFoxBoston.com) - The release of an illegal immigrant who pleaded guilty in the killing of a Revere teenager is getting national attention and leading to a call for Congressional hearings.

The response to the case exposed by FOX Undercover comes as the federal government released new data showing the how many other immigrants were released from detention because they couldn’t be deported within time standards.

That was the case with Loeun Heng , an illegal immigrant from Cambodia, who along with three others pleaded guilty to stabbing and beating to death 16-year-old Ashton Cline-McMurray in 2000.

The Suffolk County District Attorney charged Heng and three others, all believed to be gang members, with murder. But they pleaded guilty to lesser charges ranging from manslaughter to second degree murder.

Cline-McMurray’s mother, Sandra Hutchinson, agreed to the plea deal after being told, she says, that defendants in this country illegally would be deported.

“They said that they would never set foot, basically, on American soil again. In other words, they'd be like in jail until they got sent back,” she told FOX Undercover’s Mike Beaudet.

Heng’s case seemed to be headed that way when the Parole Board released Heng into the federal immigration custody last March. The U.S. Burea of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, known as ICE, planned to deport Heng to Cambodia.

ut now Heng is back on the streets of Massachusetts, living in Everett, freed by the federal government.
“It's crazy, it's crazy. They're just letting them back out there to do it to somebody else, thats all,” Hutchinson said.

Because of the seriousness of the crime Heng committed, the federal government was supposed to keep Heng in custody until he was sent home. But ICE says it had to release him because of a 2001 US Supreme Court ruling, Zadvydas v. Davis.

The decision says that, with few exceptions, ICE can only detain illegal immigrants for six months while trying to get their home countries to agree to take them back.

But Heng is just one example of ICE releasing criminal aliens who are supposed to be detained until they're deported. Since 2008, ICE says it's been forced to release 1,748 criminal aliens because of the Supreme Court ruling, including 80 in the Boston area.

“It doesn't make any sense. That's such a large number that we need to be concerned about the impact on public safety,” said Jessica Vaughan with the Center for Immigration Studies.

Those released from ICE custody sometimes have to check in with ICE officials, but they also get a valued work permit, Vaughan said.

“These are truly the worst of the worst individuals who are in deportation proceedings. And these are the ones who essentially get off the hook, with a work permit, a driver's licenses and freedom in the United States just because their country won't take them back,” Vaughan added.

The issue is now getting the attention of Congress. House Judiciary Committee chairman Lamar Smith tells FOX Undercover, "It is outrageous that thousands of dangerous criminal aliens have been released to our streets.

riminal aliens should be detained and deported-period. Over the coming months, the House Judiciary Committee will hold hearings to close loopholes in our laws that facilitate this dangerous problem. There is no excuse for placing American lives at risk."

That’s welcome news to Vaughan, especially given the numbers showing the scope of the problem.
“We've gotten to the point where it's time for the federal government to take other action to convince these countries they need to cooperate with us,” she said.

That could come by way of the State Department pressuring countries to cooperate and take their citizens back, such as refusing to issue certain types of visas. Congress could also change the law so ICE can hold criminal aliens believed to be a threat to public safety.

The State Department declined to comment. A spokesman for the Suffolk County DA’s office says prosecutors never promised someone would be deported because that’s a decision that’s made by federal officials.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  10:17:56 AM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
anyone else hear about Medford wanting to put a Sonic in where the old Kiss 108 was. It will have a huge impact on everett roads and an official from everett should be at the meeting. The evening commute there is bad enough and nobody will be able to get to the mall.

Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  10:40:12 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This has the potential to be a nightmare for commuters, especially the afternoon commute. I hope a traffic study is done before they approve this.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  10:57:51 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's too busy of a location, and I cant imagine that the MBTA would be too thrilled either. Seems like no matter what time of the day, Wellington Station is packed, and packed with cars. The City of Medford needs to take into consideration not only the traffic... but pollution.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  12:36:56 PM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by massdee

Interesting article. I didn't know Catherine Gover is Sal's Treasurer.

CPF ID#: 15031
Office Sought: Senate, Middlesex, Suffolk & Essex
Residential Address: 125 Clarence Street Everett MA 02149
Committee Name: DiDomenico Committee
Treasurer Name: Catherine P. Gover
Committee Address: 127 Clarence Street Everett MA 02149

Beginning Balance: $2,006.99
Total Receipts this period: $14,666.78
Subtotal: $16,673.77
Total Expenditures this period: $16,640.94
Ending Balance: $32.83

Total Inkind contributions this period: $0.00
Total Outstanding Liabilities: $38,416.03
Name of Bank(s) Used:

Senate Sal campaign was run on everett guy theme. Chief of his staff from Cambridge and treasurer not from everett. Why he choose Cat Gover and dont balance the book looks bad.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  8:16:47 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it does look bad. I supported Sal and thought it was great having a Senator from Everett but so far I'm disappointed. If he does not step it up, I think someone else more qualified will run against him next election, and win. I don't like seeing the spend spend spend attitude and worry about the bills later. That's the problem in this City.
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  8:40:51 PM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The liabilities line is usually monies the candidate loans to self. You can go to the Campaign Finance website and check out exactly what the liabilities are. Many, if not most, candidates/elected officials have outstanding loans that many times they never get repaid. Also, his chief of staff may be from Cambridge, but that is the district too. He needs people from all over the district to represent him at events.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  10:04:05 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've met Wally and I think he's a great guy and a good choice. As for the campaign finance report, it just does not look fiscally responsible and we need fiscally responsible people in these trying times.
Go to Top of Page

formally from everett

7 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  1:36:03 PM  Show Profile Send formally from everett a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All that money spent on campaign literature and calls and DiDomenico never mentions voting for illegal aliens. He did that to get votes from Cambridge pinkos.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  7:24:08 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
State aid cliffhanger

Cities and towns awaiting figures — for better or worse

By Brenda J. Buote
Globe Correspondent / April 10, 2011

In Winchester, overtime in the police department will be cut, resulting in a loss of patrols despite an expected increase in state aid. In Essex, department heads have been told to draft contingency budgets in case voters reject a proposed tax override in June. In Malden, local leaders are pressing the unions for concessions on health care costs in hopes of avoiding layoffs.

The trend is a reflection of the $30.5 billion state budget proposed by Governor Deval Patrick that would slash unrestricted aid to cities and towns by $65 million in fiscal 2012, which begins July 1.

The budget also would increase state aid to schools by about $140 million and give municipalities new powers to change health care plans of employees and retirees. Patrick said that power alone would save communities $120 million.

But behind those sweeping numbers, the figures for individual cities and towns vary widely and are likely to change in the coming months as Beacon Hill lawmakers tinker with Patrick’s proposed spending plan.

Last year, House and Senate leaders announced in mid-March that they had reached an agreement on a $200 million local aid cut, but this year Democrats have thus far refused to agree to a Republican-proposed local aid resolution that would guarantee minimum funding levels.

State Representative Brian Dempsey a Haverhill Democrat and chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, has warned municipalities that local aid cuts may run deeper than what the governor has proposed. A clear picture of the state’s spending priorities may not emerge until the last week in April, when the budget debate is scheduled.

Despite the cloud of uncertainty hanging over the local aid figures, one thing is clear: In many communities, spending cuts may be unavoidable either way.

Under the governor’s budget, 13 Massachusetts communities north of Boston would see their overall state aid increase from this fiscal year, while 44 would receive the same or less. Everett, Malden, Winchester, and Lawrence would see the biggest increases, ranging from 6.2 percent to 9.5 percent.

On the other end of the spectrum, seven area communities — Essex, Groveland, Nahant, Rowley, Salisbury, Somerville, and Wenham — would see cuts of 5 percent or more, with Essex suffering the most significant cut, a drop of 7.3 percent.

If past years are any indication, a state budget probably won’t be approved until the end of spring or early summer — a month or two after local Town Meetings have approved their own budgets for the upcoming fiscal year.

The timing is hard on local leaders trying to craft spending plans. To hedge against the possibility that the final state numbers might be less than what’s in the governor’s budget, town managers and mayors take a conservative approach with their budgets

“We usually just assume we’re going to have a 15 percent cut in state aid,’’ said Jeff Soulard, chairman of the Finance Committee in Essex, which has just over 3,000 residents. “If that doesn’t come to pass, it just means we can address some items that we didn’t have the funds for in our budget.’’

In Malden, total state aid would increase by $3.9 million, or 7.6 percent, under the governor’s plan. But even if those numbers hold up, the city will likely have to make cuts, according to Mayor Richard C. Howard.

He said the increase in state aid is earmarked for the city’s schools; the state is slashing Malden’s unrestricted local aid by about $900,000, or roughly 7 percent. And even the proposed increase in money for education, known as Chapter 70 funding, is not as rosy as it seems at first blush, he said.

“What’s proposed under the governor’s budget for Chapter 70 is really level funding. And that’s generally the case for all of the [public school] districts,’’ said Howard. “The proposed increase in state spending for schools would essentially replace what had been taken out of Chapter 70 the last two years, when the state’s contribution was constant or decreased. In its place, federal stimulus money was being doled out.’’

The bottom line for Malden is the same as last year, he said — a gap of $9 million to $10 million. “Last year, a big piece of what we did involved temporary concessions around health care; 70 percent of our workforce gave concessions,’’ Howard said. “Those that didn’t — police and fire — suffered layoffs. This year, we’re hoping to make those concessions permanent. Otherwise, we’ll have to make some painful cuts again this year.’’

Winchester faces the same challenge. Although the town would see a 6.6 percent boost in state aid under the governor’s plan, the increase is directly attributable to a swell in student enrollment. The town faces a deficit of $700,000 for fiscal 2012, with an even bigger budget gap of $1.5 million projected for fiscal 2013.

Voters last month rejected a $1.44 million override that would have eased cuts to town services in the upcoming fiscal year and helped the town weather future economic maelstroms.

“We must hold the line on expenses and consider all possible revenues for the town,’’ said Winchester Assistant Town Manager Mark Twogood, noting that the town balanced its budget last year by spending $2.5 million in free cash, a practice that he said “cannot be sustained.’’

The amount of state aid cities and towns get is determined by a series of complicated distribution and reimbursement formulas, which take into account such factors as money spent on certain programs and property values.

Some communities can better weather the ups and downs of state aid because a smaller portion of their budget is made up of money from the state. For instance, state aid makes up less than 2 percent of Essex’s $14.9 million budget, according to Soulard, while in urban centers such as Lawrence it can be more than half.

So even though Patrick’s budget would slash Essex’s state aid more than 7 percent, Soulard said the town’s seven-member Finance Committee is preparing a budget based on a cut of 15 percent.

“In July, we may find we’re dealing with a different story than we had thought, but until then, we continue to be on the conservative side,’’ he said.

Brenda J. Buote may be reached at brenda.buote@gmail.com. Matt Carroll of the Globe staff contributed to this report. He may be reached at mcarroll@globe.com or followed on Twitter @GlobeMattC.

© Copyright 2011 Globe Newspaper Company.

Go to Top of Page

kittycat

66 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  09:24:04 AM  Show Profile Send kittycat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An Everett woman with an outstanding warrant in Florida was arrested in Connecticut Friday and charged with drug possession, driving under the influence, and causing a crash that killed the daughter of a well-known Italian foods importer from New Haven.

According to Connecticut State Police, Dina Senibaldi, 26, was driving south on Interstate 395 in Waterford about 11 p.m. Friday when she struck a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee from behind. The driver of the Jeep lost control of the vehicle, and it struck a metal wire guardrail and rolled over.

The Jeep’s passenger, Lisa Delprete, 45, North Haven, Conn., sustained serious head trauma. She died at Lawrence & Memorial Hospital in New London, Conn.

Delprete was the daughter of Leo Ciocca, the owner of L.C. Cash & Carry, a popular wholesale and retail Italian food and cheese shop in New Haven’s Long Wharf Food Terminal Plaza.

The driver of the Jeep, Edmund Davis, 52, of New Haven, sustained serious head and chest injuries, police said. The passenger in Senibaldi’s vehicle, Marirose Lynch, 25, of Everett, was treated for a minor cut to her forehead.

Senibaldi walked away from the crash, declining medical treatment, police said.

State Police performed field sobriety tests at the scene, which she failed, according to the police report.

Police also found that Senibaldi does not have a valid driver’s license.

The 2010 Dodge Avenger Senibaldi was driving was a rental with New York license plates belonging to National Car Rental, according to a police report.

Police said they found marijuana and narcotics in Senibaldi’s possession.

Public records show that Senibaldi was arrested in Osceola County, Florida, in January 2010 for soliciting prostitution.

She posted a $7,500 bond through J&L Bail Bonds, but failed to appear in a Kissimmee court last May 24. A warrant was issued for her arrest.

After Friday’s fatal crash, Senibaldi was charged with driving a motor vehicle while intoxicated, driving without a license, possession of marijuana, and possession of narcotics.

With Delprete’s death, other charges may be filed.

Senibaldi was ordered held on $100,000 bond. She is scheduled to be arraigned tomorrow in New London.

© Copyright 2011 Globe Newspaper Company
Go to Top of Page

kittycat

66 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  09:48:09 AM  Show Profile Send kittycat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this paper is from Conn.

Waterford -- One person died and another was seriously injured in a two-car accident on I-395 in Waterford late Friday evening, according to Connecticut State Police.

Lisa Delprete, 45, of New Haven, a passenger in a vehicle traveling south near exit 77, was pronounced dead of head trauma at L&M Hospital in New London. The driver of the vehicle, 52-year-old Edmund Davis of New Haven, suffered head and chest injuries and, after initial treatment at L&M, was transferred to Yale-New Haven Hospital.

The car driven by Davis, traveling in the right lane, was struck from behind just before 11 p.m. by a vehicle driven by Dina Senibaldi, 26, of Everett, Mass. Davis' car lost control, struck the wire rope guard rail on the shoulder, and toppled onto its side.

Senibaldi, who refused treatment, failed a field sobriety test at the scene, according to police, and was arrested for driving a motor vehicle while intoxicated. She was also charged with possession of marijuana, possession of narcotics, possession of narcotics not in the original container and operating a motor vehicle without a license.

Senibaldi is being held on $100,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in New London Superior Court Monday.

A passenger in Senibaldi's car, Marirose Lynch, also of Everett, was treated at L&M for a laceration to her forehead.

The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call Trooper TFC Richter at Troop E in Montville,(860) 848-6500.
Go to Top of Page

Ilikeitlikethat

6 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  07:58:13 AM  Show Profile Send Ilikeitlikethat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A naked man eluded police for more than an hour in Dorchester yesterday evening, as scores of officers and state troopers descended on the area to search for the au naturel fugitive.

It all began with a traffic stop gone awry at about 5:30 p.m., when police pulled over a car with three men inside, said Officer Eddy Chrispin, Boston police spokesman. After observing one of the men behaving suspiciously, police ordered him out of the car and discovered he had a handgun, Chrispin said. The man began to struggle with officers, and during the the altercation the other two men sped off. The suspect ended up shedding his clothes and gun in the struggle, and fled the scene, Chrispin said.

The disrobed outlaw was identified as Peterson Joseph, 27, of Everett. He was charged with resisting arrest, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery, trespassing, and multiple weapons charges, Chrispin said. Joseph is scheduled to be arraigned today in Dorchester District Court.

As the search began, State Police quickly joined Boston police, and dozens of officers and troopers on foot peeked in backyards and underneath houses hoping to get the skinny on the suspect. A State Police spokesman, Sergeant Matthew Murray, said a State Police helicopter from Chicopee was dispatched to aid in the search, as well as several canine units and undercover troopers who were in the area.

The streaking also held up commuter rail service on the Fairmount line, which runs through Dorchester, as police searched around the train tracks. Commuter rail spokesman Scott Farmelant said six trains were delayed for about a half-hour.

Joseph led law enforcement personnel on a wild chase, as he ran through backyards and hid in a number of places before he was ultimately caught in the yard of a home on Whitman Street shortly before 7 p.m.

Chrispin said the car was later found abandoned with no sign of the other two men. Some ballistic evidence was discovered inside.

A neighbor who lives on Whitman Street said she saw the streaking man as he was running through backyards, jumping fences and gates, and trying to hide near her house.

“He hid under my porch,’’ said the woman, who declined to be identified. “Then he grabbed one of my towels that was hanging there and ran off. He owes me a towel!’’

After laughing at the absurdity of the bare facts, she then reconsidered.

“On second thought, I don’t want that towel back,’’ she said.

Stewart Bishop can be reached at sbishop@globe.com.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2