Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 General Discussion
 Everett Police
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  07:42:41 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Six Communities Sign Agreement To Share Police

CHELSEA (CBS) — Six communities have entered a partnership that allows their police officers to have authority in all six towns.

The agreement is between Chelsea, Everett, Revere, Malden, Saugus and Winthrop. The move is in response to decreasing budgets and an increase in violent crimes.

In addition to sharing personnel, the towns will share some equipment.

You must be logged in to see this link.

kittycat

66 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  08:37:16 AM  Show Profile Send kittycat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's more to the article Massdee. Everett stats have gone down, while everyone else goes up, no crime in Everett. I tend to believe the paper. Here is a link about a fundraiser. I didn't know where to put it. I was looking for the fire fund but we all know that went north out of the city of Everett, so now it's fundraising for these tragic fires, doesn't make sense to me.

Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  09:04:59 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does this not have to go through the city council? I'm not sure how I feel on it. Does this mean that if I run a red light in Everett that the Winthrop Police can pull me over in Everett? Just looking this up briefly, looks like it may end up costing more money in the long run, but I'd have to know more details on it. What I find a little disturbing is the fact the intention was not announced. EVERYTHING ELSE is announced (the mindless stuff) I think this is MUCH more important. Was that done so people cant research it.....
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  1:09:12 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once again, when it comes to crime...no comment from anyone from Everett.

In September 2010, a Salem Street shooting in Malden left two men dead and one wounded. The city had a series of violence crimes in the fall, reflecting a trend police say is also affecting nearby communities. (Bill Brett for The Boston Globe/File)
By Matt Byrne

Globe Correspondent / March 27, 2011

– +
Cory Disciscio had moved into his first apartment, had bought a car, and was holding a job at a local taxi company when the 21-year-old was gunned down Labor Day weekend on a Malden street corner.

Two days later, a pair of men approached Jerry Bourque, 25, outside his Salem Street home. Gunfire erupted, and soon all three lay wounded. Bourque was the only one to survive.

In October, a couple was robbed at gunpoint at the corner of Maple and Hawthorne streets. On the same night, a 25-year-old was shot twice in the foot as he fled from three muggers. Two nights later in the Maplewood section, a man fired half a dozen rounds into the air, just a few steps from an elementary school, a church, and a public park.

The string of violence in Malden was a startling example of what officials said is a similar rise in other communities north of Boston, where guns, drugs, and a tough economy have made policing even more difficult.

Now, six local police departments will formalize an agreement that will go into effect Wednesday to share information, personnel, and equipment to combat the trend.

“Several departments will be combining information and comparing notes,’’ said Malden Mayor Richard C. Howard.
Political and law enforcement leaders from Malden, Chelsea, Winthrop, Revere, Everett, and Saugus have signed a memorandum of understanding to allow officers greater freedom to pursue investigations, make traffic stops, and arrest suspects to combat the drug and handgun use in the tightly packed communities.

“Where there are drugs, there are guns,’’ said Chelsea Police Chief Brian A. Kyes. “They’re joined at the hip.’’
The agreement is made in an unusually difficult economic time for officials across the state. Shrinking budgets in Malden forced contract negotiations with the police unions last year that nearly caused the layoff of 10 officers. Money was cobbled together to stave off the cuts, although four police recruits had to be let go.

On Wednesday, 70 officers from the six departments will assume full police powers across the 27-square-mile area that encompasses 232,000 people in the half-dozen communities.

With the agreement in place, Howard hopes “the course of the summer goes much better than the last two we had.’’
Violent crime has increased 8 percent since 2008 in Malden, according to police statistics. Robberies committed with guns doubled from 14 in 2008 to 28 last year; the number of rapes reported increased from eight to 11; and aggravated assaults were up from 176 to 184, statistics show.

Other crimes also went up: Nine more robberies — 85 — were committed in 2010 than in 2008, 99 more burglaries were perpetrated, and 111 more property crimes reported in the 5-square-mile community of 59,450.

Page 2 of 2 --
At least one person has been slain each year within Malden city limits since 2007. Three were killed last year, records show. The Malden Police Department has recorded two killings already in 2011, both allegedly domestic homicides that occurred a week apart earlier this month.

The series of gun crimes in Malden around Labor Day and in October illustrated the challenge for police departments to do more with less, as cities and towns brace for a slashing of local aid.

“Revere, Chelsea, Everett, had similar goings-on in the same time frames; that’s what kind of got us together,’’ said Malden Police Chief James J. Holland. “The mayors or city managers of these communities, when all of us got together we started to get these ideas.’’

A year in the making, the collaborative will give specially selected officers from each department the power to cross city lines without running afoul of legal or jurisdictional standards.

“It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time,’’ said Kyes, of Chelsea. The city went from no homicides in 2009 to 11 last year. Five of those involved a firearm, Kyes said.

Kyes and Holland estimate that the vast majority of the property crime and violence is tied to drugs, either by dealers who are likely armed, or users who burglarize or rob for their next score.

After the violence escalated last year, Malden city councilors held public safety meetings with residents across the city, reassuring them that officials were not losing control of the situation.

Since then, the City Council has approved funding for technology-based police tools. High-resolution and thermal-imaging remote surveillance cameras are being installed throughout the city, and mobile license plate readers will help keep tabs on the thoroughfare hotspots that the mayor and others say are sources for much of the crime.

The council is also in discussions over a resident sticker parking plan that has been billed as a tool for police to identify outsiders who often come to Malden to cause trouble, either at parties, to sell or buy drugs, or commit other crimes.

“There are cameras going up all over the city. Does it deter crime? Without a doubt it does. I have proof,’’ said Neil C. Kinnon, Malden city councilor and chairman of the Public Safety Committee, who pushed hard for the surveillance equipment and the funding to pay for it.

“Will that stop every crime? No way. Some people just act. They act, they don’t think through these things,’’ he said.
Kinnon represents Ward 6 on the east side of Malden, where many of the city’s property crimes have occurred, he said.
Caseloads for police drug and detective units are near their maximum levels, said Holland.

“My drug people are inundated with cases,’’ Holland said. “The detectives are short a guy or two, so the caseload has been heavy. There are certain things we’ve had to pull back on, some of the niceties.’’

This year as summer approaches and crime is expected to spike again, the police collaborative will be in full swing, the chiefs said.
Residents in Malden like Toni Genzale, 62, coordinator of the Malden Crime Watch, wait to see if the programs will work.

“Our city is no different than any other city around us,’’ Genzale said. “The economic times we’re living in, people do stupid things. Other than that I don’t think it’s any different than anywhere else.’’

Matt Byrne can be reached at mbyrne.globe@gmail.com.

Go to Top of Page

kittycat

66 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  5:11:37 PM  Show Profile Send kittycat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Police track stolen crocodile sculpture from Sudbury to Everett
By Kathy Uek/Daily News staff
MetroWest Daily News
Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 12:01 AM

Thieves received $400 for the bronze crocodile sculpture stolen from a Sudbury lawn last week, but the toothy 300-pound beast, while damaged slightly, was found before it went to the foundry for melting.

Sudbury Police learned that the sculpture, valued at $14,000 as a piece of art, could be found at Second Street Iron and Metal Inc. in Everett.

Everett officers went to the shop and found the stolen croc, which had a cut mark across its tail.

Bronze was the booty thieves sought, but when trying to make a deal for the hot item, they may have left some cold cash on the table.

David Paquin, manager of another metal recycling company, Schnitzer Northeast in Attleboro, said the price for bronze is $2.50 per pound. With the croc a hefty 300 pounds, that would mean $750.

Police had been on the lookout for the reptile since it was reported stolen from a Sudbury backyard, and detectives had been notified in case someone tried to sell it or melt it for scrap metal.

Bronze is an alloy made up primarily of copper, the commodity price of which has more than doubled in the past two years, according to the Washington-based Coalition Against Copper Theft.

The process for melting down the metal, Paquin said, would be to box up the croc and send it to a foundry.

Pawning copper is big business when the construction industry is booming, said Andy Rodenheiser, president of a plumbing, heating and air-conditioning company in Holliston.

"Construction is down significantly, so it's not as prevalent an issue," said Rodenhiser, who is also on the Medway Planning Board. "I've had to put a security camera in our own (company) yard to monitor the theft there. The (thieves) make a mess of my Dumpster. I have to chase them away."

Crocodiles are known for ambushing their prey, but this 8-foot crocodile was defenseless when thieves snatched it last week outside Fred Scott's home off Peakham Road.

The very real-looking bronze beast, turned green by the elements, lounged in the side yard of the home Scott rents, surrounded by 275 acres of conservation land. Scott, the former owner of a local art gallery, said the reptile was created by Nigerian sculptor Christopher Ebigo in 2000. Its formal name is "Sustenance: the strong versus the weak."

The sculpture is actually on consignment from Ebigo and was supposed to go on permanent exhibition this summer at the Museum of the Center for Afro-American Artists in Roxbury.

(Kathy Uek can be reached at 508-626-4419 or k...@wickedlocal.com.)

Copyright 2011 The MetroWest Daily News. Some rights reserved

Read more: You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

kittycat

66 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  5:12:42 PM  Show Profile Send kittycat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GOD BLESS EVERETT KUDOS TO THE EPD
Go to Top of Page

cathyk

97 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  2:09:27 PM  Show Profile Send cathyk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sitting in traffic on the parkway where a EPD motorcycle officer was involved in a major accident. Hope he is ok.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2