Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 General Discussion
 NEW TRASH PROGRAM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cathyk

97 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  1:18:42 PM  Show Profile Send cathyk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess it was just a matter of time, but here is my question. Does a commerical building where you have 5 floors and 55 apartments, do you get one per unit and if so, where does one store 55 trash and recycling bins in you have no yard or no garage?

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  11:16:29 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was told there was a flyer mailed out about the new trash program. As of yet, I have not received it yet. Can anyone fill me in.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  08:27:59 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the press release if you have not seen it.

January 17, 2012
Press Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MAYOR TO UNVEIL NEW TRASH AND RECYCLING PROGRAM AT
JANUARY 25TH PUBLIC MEETING

Mayor Carlo DeMaria Jr. is inviting all residents and business owners to a public meeting
next Wednesday, January 25th at 6:00 PM in the Speaker George Keverian Room, City
Hall, 484 Broadway. The Mayor is planning to unveil a new trash and recycling program
aiming to control the costs of disposal, increase the recycling rate in the City and help
keep the city clear of rodent infestations and littered streets.

The Mayor is looking to mimic a similar system used by neighboring Medford where
households will receive a standardized collection bin for waste to complement the
Recyclebank Recycling Bin. Residents will only be allowed to fill the bin with
household trash., and additional bins can be rented for a yearly cost.

The Mayor and City Services Commission hoping for input from residents regarding the
new proposal, and the meeting is a follow up to a mailer the city distributed to
households this week.

###

For additional press information please contact Matt Laidlaw, Director of
Communications, City of Everett.

Matt Laidlaw
Director of Communications
City of Everett
484 Broadway
Go to Top of Page

cathyk

97 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  09:06:26 AM  Show Profile Send cathyk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got my mailing yesterday, the mayor is nuts, and Matt owns Topix, so the city should run really well now with the trash program. They should throw themselves away first!
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  09:41:18 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup.....now "some" of the posts on Topix are mysteriously reappearing as one of the moderators over there are playing games as I type.

The deleted posts were about 96 people potentially getting laid off and once again, they make it all about the mayor. It's absolutely ridiculous that city government cares more about looking good and what's being said about THEM rather than 96 people on the unemployment line.

I was not aware of the day that we could no longer voice opinions on a public forum and be censored by Everett City Hall. I know that was bought with money, because these sites cost money. I just hope it was private funds.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  10:25:20 AM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No offence but you delete posts.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  11:27:13 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not offended. If you are referring to the post from last week, that was a threat and can still be reported. There's a difference between your first amendment rights being violated by city government censoring and a threat.

If it's another post, tell me where it was. I suspect it was over what was said about using the lottery money to help supplement the school department budget. I wonder what happened to that 5 million dollars.....

It's always been "historically" that the City of Everett only gives the minimum contribution required by law. If Dawg wanted to leave an opinion that would have been fine. There was no reason for what was said both publicly and privately. For those who read Topix...ODD that all those "Stan" posts stay up without censorship, and those posts are quite vulgar. Can they be any more obvious?
Go to Top of Page

card

117 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  04:27:18 AM  Show Profile Send card a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just don't get it! The meeting was pack last night, if you don't have all your ducks in a row then why have a meeting, I would say most people were worried about spending the 150.00 for an extra barrel, I say two per house will be enough, but it came down to the apartment buildings on how many to give them.

Let's see if you take saco plaza, park plaza, etc. and you have over 50 units in the building the city's answer was we haven't work that out yet, common sense would tell you one barrel for every unit but at the meeting they said you not getting one for the apartment buildings (makes no sense to me) also, if you have long weekends, i.e christmas, easter, you may throw plastic bags out, now your confusing the people. I would say either barrels or bags makes no sense to me.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  12:44:56 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that they were only looking for input on the trash program last night and, from what I've heard, they got it in spades.

However, for the amount of time we've been hearing about this proposed program, one would think that a lot of the details of it would have been worked. But from what I've also heard, what was presented was very light on details.

I think this is an issue that bears watching. It seems that, from what was said last night, this program will not need to go in front of the City Council; it's next and final stop once the administration works out the details and makes any changes they feel appropriate will be the City Services Commission. A public hearing was mentioned but I'm not sure that I'd hold my breath on that one. Why? Did anyone notice the piece in last week's Advocate that the City Services Commission had raised water rates? First I'd heard about that.

Edited by - tetris on 01/26/2012 12:46:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  1:36:55 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And what are we supposed to do with our old barrels? They wont take them in the trash or recycle.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  3:18:03 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I heard was that you could do one of three things with them:

1. If they are plastic, cut them up and put them in your recycling.
2. Save them and use them for your yard waste.
3. They would probably have a pick-up where take them away for you.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  10:22:58 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally saw this meeting on TV and all I can say is what a FLOP. First of all, why Mel and Matt held that meeting is beyond me. They looked like two peas in a pod that had no clue or answers for people. I don’t blame people for being upset, it was so unorganized. If this is a done deal anyway, then what the heck was she writing down… and for what?

It should have been a public hearing with a presentation from city services (or who ever it is that’s working out details) rather than hearing UGHH I dunno. If the mayor is implementing this then why didn’t he stick around for it? I know why…he can’t take the heat.

I’m telling you, the way it was explained to people…this is NEVER going to work. The $150.00 yearly “rental” for the additional barrel will only cause more trash on the streets. People and businesses (especially taxpayers) will refuse to get extra barrels and dump trash on someone else’s street. We have a serious problem with absentee landlords now...you think they are going to pay for barrels your kidding yourself. The tenants wont care because they will dump trash wherever. You will never find out who they are.

Another thing I am SO SICK of hearing is what other cities and towns do. You keep hearing “Medford” does it. “Malden” does it. Stop copying what other cities do, and do what’s right for Everett, and the needs of people that live and work here. Malden and Medford have LOWER taxes. I’m really getting sick of it. Everett has always had a great industrial tax base and did well. Over the past few years we have quickly become the highest commercial tax rate in the state, and these companies are leaving over it, so the homeowner is being burdened YET AGAIN and has to make up for that deficit. Everett is getting poorer and poorer and all we get is fees fees fees . It’s happening because Capitol is getting new trucks. What is Capitol doing for us? The least they can do is give 2 barrels per household. I think that’s a fair compromise.
Go to Top of Page

sweetdeal2007

29 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  1:02:01 PM  Show Profile Send sweetdeal2007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel so bad for the elderly this program will not.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  3:12:59 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did wonder about the elderly and if they would be able to handle yet another large receptacle like the recycle bins. It is difficult to maneuver these large receptacles for elderly and disabled. Maybe elderly/disabled persons can do bags instead of barrels? Good bags.... that animals can not get into. Just a thought.

The problem here is not the elderly and not people who abide by the ordinances.....however, we have to pay for others inconsideration. It's like punishing an entire class because of a select few. It's the damn lazy persons that code enforcement needs to crack down and fine on a DAILY BASIS instead of looking the other way because of who the person is associated with. I'm not happy with Capitol Waste either, they make a mint off the city and do nothing in return but contribute to the mayor. If you have a handful of dirt in a trash bag they rip it open and leave it there. They are not friendly and changed their schedule without informing anyone. Now...because they get new trucks, we get stuck with it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2