Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 General Discussion
 Stat Smith
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  5:08:36 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must be logged in to see this link.

Tags: Beacon Hill, Everett, MApoli, Massachusetts, Rep. Stephen Smith Resignation, Representative Stephen Stat Smith, voter fraud
Posted in Everett | Leave a comment
Rep. Stephen State SmithBy Keith Spencer
keith@nobomagazine.com

EVERETT – State Representative Stephen “Stat” Smith has admitted that he orchestrated an elaborate scheme to get votes in multiple elections in 2009 and 2010 according to documents released by the U.S. Attorney’ Office for Boston.
Smith, 57, will plead guilty to two counts of voter fraud in which absentee ballots were cast on his behalf in an attempt to defraud an election.
Smith will plead guilty to two misdemeanor counts of deprivation of rights under color of law, and faces a potential prison sentence of 1 year per count. he will resign effective January 1 after admitting to the scheme, and has also agreed to not seek elected office for five years.
Smith is alleged to have cast invalid absentee ballots in support of his races for public office for voters who were ineligible or otherwise unaware of ballots being cast in their names.
Smith submitted fraudulent absentee voter applications, was able to obtain many of the ballots and cause them to be delivered to the ineligible voters. These voters would then cast ballots despite lacking any eligibility. In several situations, Smith would cast the ballots himself. For those ballots issued to unaware voters, government officials assisted Smith in intercepting the ballots prior to their delivery to the voters’ addresses.
“Fair and free elections are the foundation that this great nation was built upon. Our electoral system is unrivaled, and it is egregious that an elected member of our Commonwealth would rob his constituents of a fair and honest election, ” U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz said in the release.
“I want the voters of Massachusetts to know that we will continue to root out public corruption and restore confidence in our state’s political system.”
“Over the last two years, the FBI methodically uncovered a voter fraud scheme designed to strip Massachusetts voters of their right to a fair election,” said Richard DesLauriers, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Boston Division. “Representative Smith… embarked on a scheme that he knew violated the ideals of our nation and disregarded the proud history of the Commonwealth.”
Smith was a member of the legislature’s Joint Committee on Election Laws, and represents the 28th Middlesex District which includes the City of Everett and a portion of Malden.

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  6:57:28 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have been hearing stories and rumors about this for so long that you can't really be surprised; except that it went down so easy. The evidence must be overwhelming. Sentence seems relatively light for violating the rights of a number of people.

"For those ballots issued to unaware voters, government officials assisted Smith in intercepting the ballots prior to their delivery to the voters’ addresses."

Does this mean that are more shoes to drop on this one?

Edited by - tetris on 12/20/2012 6:57:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  7:54:23 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would seem so Tetris. I noticed it said a "potential prison sentence of 1 year per count".
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  9:20:35 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder who the "Government Official" was who assisted him in intercepting the ballots.............
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  9:23:56 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who in city government handles the absentee ballots? I think there are more than a few people worried tonight.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  10:09:20 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bet we will see the absentee vote go down in the next election.
Go to Top of Page

card

117 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2012 :  09:58:01 AM  Show Profile Send card a Private Message  Reply with Quote
U.S. Attorney’s Office
December 20, 2012 District of Massachusetts
(617) 748-3100

BOSTON—A state representative in the Massachusetts General Court has agreed to plead guilty to civil rights violations and resign his elected position for his role in submitting fraudulent absentee ballot applications and casting invalid ballots in multiple elections in 2009 and 2010.

Representative Stephen Smith, 57, of Everett, Massachusetts, will plead guilty to two misdemeanor counts of deprivation of rights under color of law.

According to the information, Smith is the representative of the 28th Middlesex District in Massachusetts, which includes the city of Everett and a portion of the city of Malden, Massachusetts, which both neighbor Boston. Smith is alleged to have cast invalid absentee ballots in support of his races for public office for voters who were ineligible or otherwise unaware of ballots being cast in their names. Smith submitted fraudulent Massachusetts Official Absentee Applications, which resulted in the issuance of absentee ballots. Smith was able to obtain many of the absentee ballots and cause them to be delivered to the ineligible voters, who would then cast votes despite lacking any eligibility to do so, or Smith would cast the ballots himself. For those absentee ballots issued to unaware voters, one or more government officials assisted Smith in intercepting the ballots prior to their delivery to the voters’ addresses, and those ballots were cast for the unaware voters.

The plea agreement that Smith entered into calls for him to resign his position in the Massachusetts House of Representatives effective January 1, 2013, and he will not be allowed to seek elected office for a period of five years.

U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz said, “Fair and free elections are the foundation that this great nation was built upon. Our electoral system is unrivaled, and it is egregious that an elected member of our Commonwealth would rob his constituents of a fair and honest election. I want the voters of Massachusetts to know that we will continue to root out public corruption and restore confidence in our state’s political system.”

“Rep. Smith compromised the legitimacy of his races for public office by facilitating the casting of invalid ballots for ineligible and unaware voters,” said Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer. “In doing so, he undermined the democratic process in Massachusetts and violated the public’s trust.”

“Over the last two years, the FBI methodically uncovered a voter fraud scheme designed to strip Massachusetts voters of their right to a fair election,” said Richard DesLauriers, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Boston Division. “Representative Smith, who was a member of the legislature’s Joint Committee on Election Laws, embarked on a scheme that he knew violated the ideals of our nation and disregarded the proud history of the commonwealth. Whenever the pillars of government administration—equity, efficiency, and effectiveness—are undermined by corrupt public officials, the FBI will focus on those responsible.”

The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Eugenia M. Carris of the U.S. Attorney’s Public Corruption Unit for the District of Massachusetts and Trial Attorney Jeffrey E. Tsai of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division’s Public Integrity Section.

I just don't understand why he gets to run for office 5 years from now, what is wrong with our justic system.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  10:42:07 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stat Smith's hearing is at 2:00pm tomorrow, January 11th.

Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  10:55:28 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It says that it's a Rule 11 Hearing. When I looked that up, it is a hearing to enter a plea. So, I wouldn't hold my breath expecting sentencing tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  11:56:32 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure

Two rules set forth in the FRCP guide the sentencing hearing: Rule 11 and Rule 32. When a defendant pleads guilty, usually a plea agreement is signed pursuant to Rule 11. In the agreement is a description of the offense and the agreed proposed sentence. The defendant may also accept responsibility for his actions, which may earn him a reduced sentence. Signing the Rule 11 agreement gives the defendant some reassurance that he will get the deal he for which he bargained. While the federal judge is not required to go along with the Rule 11 agreement, in the majority of cases they do.

Go to Top of Page

snoopy1

64 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  1:22:30 PM  Show Profile Send snoopy1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If all parties agree (including the judge) he gets a plea. He gets a slap on his ankle, and out he goes. If this happened to Stat...he'd have 300 lawyers up there and demanding everyone involved was prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

The sad part about all this is his accomplices will get away with it. Our civil rights have been violated.... and to have people on ballots in the future that perpetrated this fraud, is unacceptable. I don't understand why the DeMaria administration is not taking a harsher position on this corruption.

If it were anyone else, they would want their heads on a silver plater. This happened in Everett and we, the voters deserve political accountability.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  6:49:28 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just read this on Face Book.

This woman - federal prosecutor actually thought I was an attorney for the city. She said NO ONE has given her info that I have on the fraud that has been perpetrated or has done the work that I have done. That does not make me feel confident in what's going on at City Hall right now. I'm actually disgusted.

Federal Prosecutors Office

Dear Attorney Eugenia Carris:

Please see my attached memo that I have sent to Secretary of State William Galvin’s office.

This is a crucial matter that you are prosecuting tomorrow, that needs immediate attention and cannot just fall by the wayside.

As we in Everett go to cast our votes, we take pride in remembering one thing: We are able to do this
because of the bravery and sacrifice of the thousands of men and women who have fought to protect
us, our freedom and our civil liberties.

There are literally millions (if not billions) of people on Earth
who can only dream about what we often take for granted.

Our civil liberties has been violated and we have disregarded the lives of those brave men and women that fought for our civil liberties.

I URGE you not to accept a plea bargain and all the names of people involved need to be made public. Stat Smith’s opponent in 2010 not only was cheated out of $37,000.00, he was cheated out of a fair election and every voter of his district was also defrauded against.

It makes me literally ill that we can potentially be voting for these same creeps involved if Stephen “Stat” Smith” is able to enter a plea bargain.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

In light of the voter fraud scandal engulfing the City of Everett, I urge you to immediately request a full investigation of all allegations against former State Representative Stephen “Stat” Smith, naming any and all accomplices he had in the major voter fraud that was perpetrated against the voters of his district.

It is literally impossible to act alone with the magnitude of voter fraud that was committed.

Stat Smith should not be able to “take the hit” for all parties involved and enter a plea agreement so that others involved in this fraud are not revealed. I feel that is an injustice
and would be a crime against the residents of his district, yet again.

We are the taxpayers and the voters. We deserve political accountability and need to do everything in our power to stop the corruption. The Commonwealth needs to impose
harsher sentences for corrupt politicians in Massachusetts as a deterrent to such actions.

Stat Smith is looking at 6 months and not able to run for public office for 5 years. He should be banned from running for public office in Massachusetts for life. The proposed
sentence is ridiculous. I do not understand why he is not being held responsible and charged separately for every illegitimate absentee ballot submitted.

This matter needs to be resolved in its entirety before the City of Everett can hold another
election. Something is broken at Everett City Hall too.

I also urge you to ensure that any false voter registrations submitted by Stat Smith do not remain on city rolls.

I feel that you should immediately investigate whether any employees/elected officials involved in this scandal are still working for the City of Everett and have them prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Even more disturbing is the possibility that the fraud discovered involves submitting ballots for deceased individuals, which is utterly disgusting.

In closing, I urge you to reconsider your position on some type of Absentee Ballot Reform that will make it tougher to perpetrate this type of fraud in any community of the
Commonwealth with stiffer penalties attached. The fact that this crime is only classified as a misdemeanor is an insult to every voter in the Commonwealth.

Some suggestions may be to appoint a task force to investigate what, if any, damage has been done by these allegedly fraudulent registration activities, and the potentially criminal practices.

If legally possible, ensure that any individual who assisted or coordinated with Stephen “Stat” Smith’s efforts is temporarily barred by the State from holding elected office pending the outcome of a full investigation into the potentially criminal voter registration efforts undertaken.

It is also known that Stephen “Stat” Smith has some type of “master list” of fraudulent/deceased voters. This master list needs to be destroyed.

I look forward to hearing from you and hearing your intentions on how to repair the potentially devastating damage to the integrity of our election system.

Go to Top of Page

cathyk

97 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2013 :  10:32:46 AM  Show Profile Send cathyk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hate to burst anyone's bubble, but there will be no sentencing today, word on this he is just going to plea guilty and sentencing will be in 90 days, I could be wrong,this is what I am hearing, hopefully the news will carry this.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2013 :  11:00:25 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My hope is that the Feds would be done with their case today so that the State could begin their investigation. If there is another 90 days, that will push everything beyond the special Rep primary and election. Everett deserves better than that. Just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2013 :  6:36:52 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Judge accepts Smith’s guilty plea, remains free on $10K unsecured bond

January 11, 2013
ADVOCATE EXCLUSIVE:
Disgraced state rep to be sentenced on April 5
By James D. Mitchell

It was William Shakespeare who once wrote to the ages:‘Tis one thing to be tempted, another thing to fall”– and it was disgraced State Rep. Steven “Stat” Smith who declared,“Guilty, your honor” to Chief Magistrate Leo T. Sorokin in the 7th floor courtroom at the Joseph P. Moakley Federal Courthouse in Boston Friday afternoon.

Standing with his attorneys Peter Bellotti and Peter Horstmann, the former school committee member and alderman waived his right to a trial and stated to the judge that he alone accepted full responsibility, coming in deep contrast to federal prosecutor’s description that in 2009 and 2010, Smith schemed with others to disqualify Everett voters by diluting valid ballots.

Smith, according to Federal prosecutors, submitted fraudulent absentee ballots in Nov. 2009, Sept. 2010 and Nov. 2011. The prosecutor stated that absentee ballots were submitted in the Everett Sept. 9, 2010 primary and November 11, 2010 general election.

Following three examples of Smith’s misdeeds of absentee ballot fraud, the prosecutor stated that Smith was in fact “working with other government employees.”

Judge Sorokin asked Smith if he disagreed with the prosecutor’s charges, Smith stood silent for a minute, replying in a shaky voice,“I alone accept full responsibility” as if he were declaring his undying loyalty to God and country. But instead, the judge magistrate reminded Smith that he was asking for a plea.

“Guilty, your honor,” he replied.

The judge then accepted his plea, asking the prosecutor and Smith’s attorney for a sentencing date – which was set for April 5, 2013 at 3:00 PM. It was recommended that Smith pay a $10,000 unsecured bond with travel restrictions, allowing for travel only in the New England states and Florida, where he owns property, according to his attorney.

The judge granted Smith permission to travel to Florida, but only with permission after filing a motion with the Probation office.

The hearing ended – along with Smith’s political career.

But what of the naming of government employees who acted in collusion with Smith in his absentee ballot scheme? Who are they? Will they be named as part of the plea agreement? Everett voters will have to wait until April 5 to find out if there really is true justice.

And it was Shakespeare who also wrote,“If you have tears, prepare to shed them now.”
Go to Top of Page

socks

39 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2013 :  7:54:46 PM  Show Profile Send socks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am in total agreement that all the names of those involved in taking part in the absentee ballot fraud should become public info. The voters in Everett have the right to know. I do not want to go to the polls and take a chance that any of the candidates who have pulled papers for State Rep were involved in this crime. I do not want to go to the polls in November and vote for anyone on the ballot who were involved in this travesty. I also believe that the current administration should be directly involved in bringing this out in the open.

I would like to thank the person who sent the letter to the Federal Prosecutor's Office and posted it on Facebook. He/she is one very courageous person. This is the type of person that I would like representing me in public office.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2