Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 Pop Warner in the Globe this weekend
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EverettsPride
Advanced Member

1140 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  1:56:46 PM  Show Profile Send EverettsPride a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must be logged in to see this link.

Sally

Court4Fred
Advanced Member

1201 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  3:05:05 PM  Show Profile Send Court4Fred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay - where are the adults? Disney is nice and all, but if you can't afford it - you can't afford it. Why set these expectations? Why give in to one of the world's worst corporate citizens? Why not say no and take the game someplace else? There has to be a better way, because this is just gross.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  3:52:07 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I again agree with you Court. If enough teams decline to go to Disney due to funds then something most certainly will be done. If the parents are willing to go in debt, then things will remain the same. Great way to teach our kids to become responsible adults.
Go to Top of Page

EverettsPride
Advanced Member

1140 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  4:43:09 PM  Show Profile Send EverettsPride a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem lies with Pop Warner who signed a contract with Disney through 2011 I believe. If you want your kid to cheer or playt football you have no choice. I am a Pop Warner parent and I wish they would do away with Nationals all together. Isn't New England champions good enough? I also do not agree with the statement that they had three weeks to raise all of the funds. Dorchester has very good football teams. They make it to Nationals almost every year. They know there is a good chance they are going so they should fundraise all year long. Set up a fundraising committee and it can easily be done. Especially in Boston where there are so many corporations willing to donate. Here in Everett we have it a little harder since we are a rather small city and have to allow for the other league to fundraise also. The cost of the coaches and the players/cheerleaders is reimbursed if the kids raise enough money. You have to put out the money up front but you can get it back. If one parent travels with the child the cost for them would be about 350.00 plus airfare. Not really a fortune when you have a year to save for it. I do believe that new parents to any organization should be warned at sign ups that there may be this cost if the girls/boys make it to nationals.

Sally
Go to Top of Page

Court4Fred
Advanced Member

1201 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  5:24:35 PM  Show Profile Send Court4Fred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But Sally - I don't think the "nationals" are a priority when our schools are failing so badly. Why have corporations donating to Disney - when the money could be used elsewhere? While I sympathize with the parents (because what kid doesn't want to go to Disney?) the fact is that someone has to put their foot down and say "no." Since PopWarner signed the contract - let them eat it. If everyone said "no" - things would change quickly, and a valuable message sent to the kids and Disney. People don't have to be drones....no one - and I mean no one, should be going into debt for a kids' football game. This has got to be the biggest marketing trap of all time.

High 5, MassDee!
Go to Top of Page

EverettsPride
Advanced Member

1140 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  11:39:20 PM  Show Profile Send EverettsPride a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well do you realize how many kids play in Pop Warner? If we said no it would still happen and our kids would be left out. The fact is the trip can cost as little as 500.00. The kids are paid for but you have to put the money up front. People always complain about the cost in December, but they know in August their kid may make it to nationals.

Sally
Go to Top of Page

Court4Fred
Advanced Member

1201 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  08:39:01 AM  Show Profile Send Court4Fred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just think it's cracked for parents to run up bills on their credit cards, etc. to get their kids to the nationals in Florida, when there are other priorities. As little as five hundreds bucks is a lot of money, Sally - and we've got kids who seem to go every year. I read the article, and it's a Disney scam, and we've bought into it, lock-stock and barrel. We can say "no" - and if other people finally do....then the games will be someplace else.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  11:16:56 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Court, right on target........as usual.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2