Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 keverian hires a lawyer (good for him)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Citizen Kane
Advanced Member

1082 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  8:10:14 PM  Show Profile Send Citizen Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that Mr. Keverian was, at one time, the Chairman of the Board of Assessors, and he was replaced in that role by Bill Hart (at a hefty increase in stipend) when Hanlon came into office. I'm not entirely sure on that, but I believe that is what happened. So at one time Keverian served a dual role -- as the Chair of the Board of Assessors and as the head of the Assessor's Office.

Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  8:10:18 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the department head, one of the three members of the board? Bill Hart is the Chairman, how does that fit in? I am really confused on this one. The one thing I know, Mr Keverian, no longer works for the city. Mr Keohan, no longer works in the Accessors office, either. So, does that just leave one person?

Edited by - massdee on 11/25/2007 8:22:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  9:04:37 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
O.K., I guess I was wrong. Sorry. I found this on the city web site on the alderman's agenda for 02-12-2007.

"Subject to confirmation by the Honorable Board of Aldermen, and pursuant to the City Charter, Section 29, and the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, Section 2-31, I hereby re-appoint Catherine Bernier as a Member of the Board of Assessors for a term ending March 2010."

So, at least at one point this year, the Board of Assessor members were Hart, Keohane and Bernier. I know that Keohane is working in the assessor's office in Saugus but did he give up his position on the Everett board? I remember that he appeared at one of the meetings recently.

On the department head issue, as I was going thru the BOA agendas for this year I found a confirmation for Mr. Kelly's position in the agenda for 01-08-2007. Take that for what you will.

Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  9:17:49 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr Keohan and Mayor Hanlon had a falling out after Mr Keohan's last appearance at a city council meeting. I do not know if Mr Keohan quit or was asked to leave but I do know he no longer works for the City of Everett.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  9:48:55 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sections 2-31 and 2-32 of the city ordinances do a better job of describing mayoral appointments and board of alderman approvals. See below. However, a trip to MGL will be needed to get the rest of the story. I also included Section 2-33 of the city ordinances since it is applicable to the discussion.

Section 2-31. Appointment of officers, boards, etc.

Generally. The mayor shall appoint, subject to confirmation by the board of alderman, for the terms hereinafter specified, and unless sooner removed, until their respective successors are appointed and qualified, the following named officers:

(1) For the term of three (3) years, beginning with the first Monday in February, in the year of appointment:

a. A member of the board of health.

b. Two (2) members, or three (3) members when required of the disability commission.

c. The Executive Director of City Services.

(2) For the term of two (2) years, beginning with the first Monday in March, in the year of appointment:

a. The city solicitor.

(3) For a term of three (3) years, beginning with the first Monday in March, in the year of appointment:

a. A member of the board of assessors.

b. A member of the fire commissioners.

c. The city auditor.

d. The city treasurer.

(4) For the term of five (5) years, beginning with the first Monday in March, in the year of appointment:

a. A member of the board of public works.

b. Two (2) members of the council of aging.

c. A member of the recreation commission.

(5) For the term of three (3) years, beginning with the first day of April, in the year of appointment:

a. One (1) member, or two (2) members, when required of the conservation commission.

b. One (1) member, or two (2) members or three (3) members, when required of the Youth Commission.

c. One (1) member, or two (2) members, or three (3) members when required of the Historical Commission.

(6) For the term of four (4) years, beginning with the first day of April, in the year of appointment:

a. A member of the board of registrar of voters.

(7) For the term of three (3) years, beginning with the first Monday in June, in the year of appointment:

a. Four (4) members, or five (5) members when required of the board of trustees of the Frederick E. Parlin Memorial Library.

(b) The failure to properly take and file with the City Clerk an oath of office within 30 days after the commencement of the term of office to which the an individual is appointed under this section shall cause the office to become vacant and said appointment to be void. (Rev. Ords. 1976, Pt. 2, Ch. 2, §§ 1--3; Ord. of 6-26-89(1); Ord. of 12-7-92; Ord. of 3-15-93(1))(Ord. of 8-24-98)(Ord of 03-08-2006)

Section 2-32. Appointment of other officers.

At the time fixed in section 35 of the Charter, unless the time of appointment is otherwise fixed, the mayor shall appoint annually, subject to confirmation by the board of aldermen, unless otherwise specially provided by law, all city and public officers other than those enumerated in section 2-31 which are required or permitted to be appointed in cities; and all such officers shall hold office, if not sooner removed, for one (1) year, or as is indicated in the law providing for their appointment.

The failure to properly take and file with the City Clerk an oath of office within 30 days after the commencement of the term of office to which the an individual is appointed under this section or Chapter 35 of the Charter of the City of Everett shall cause the office to become vacant and said appointment to be void. (Rev. Ords. 1976, Pt. 2, Ch. 2, § 4) )(Ord of 03-08-2006)

Section 2-33. Political preference of officers and employees.

No person shall be employed, or refused employment or be discharged from employment by reason of having voted for or against any particular candidate or political party or faction, nor shall any inquiry be made as to the political preference of any employee or applicant for employment. (Rev. Ords. 1976, Pt. 2, Ch. 2, § 5)
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  10:16:21 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, 2-31, plainly states that the BOA must approve the appointment to the Board of Accessors.

I find 2-33, very interesting. This has the potential to end up being a problem for the city.
Go to Top of Page

H1ghCh4r1ty
Advanced Member

967 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  10:26:12 PM  Show Profile Send H1ghCh4r1ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AVGMOM,
Hanlon will be working in Community Development during the new mayor's tenure. I expected that you already know this, being as close as you are to the new mayor.

The Pup and Emile Schoeffhausen

"Time to make the donuts"
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  10:30:03 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Emile, that is exactly what I have been hearing, too.
Go to Top of Page

H1ghCh4r1ty
Advanced Member

967 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  10:40:49 PM  Show Profile Send H1ghCh4r1ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The same old, and I do mean old, faces will be at either Donut Hall or the Fool Department on Vine Street.

Carlo will allow this to happen.

He doesn't know any better.

The mayors in this City are getting more and more stupid, which reflects on the people who voted for them.

The Pup and Emile Schoeffhausen

"Time to make the donuts"
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  11:34:17 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My trip to MGL didn't really provide me with the concise answer that I was looking for. There is no list of other positions that require a mayoral appointment and BOA approval. I could find the fire chief under the fire department and the parking clerk under the parking section. I couldn't find the police department at all, although it was probably right under my nose. But having watched enough BOA meetings, we know that new officers, promotions and appointment of the chief are all regularly brought before the BOA for approval.

Reading the sections of MGL that dealt with the functions of the assessor's office, the responsibilty for the actions of that office seemed to be placed squarely on the Board of Assessors. I could not find any mention of an additional appointed position in that office. The department head position (and any assistant) in the assessor's department probably came about out of the need to have someone in that office to run it on a day to day basis since the members of the board were probably not available to. Any mayor would clearly have the right to revisit this decision but it hardly seems feasible unless one (or more) of the members of the board were going to take over this function.
Go to Top of Page

Citizen Kane
Advanced Member

1082 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  08:33:26 AM  Show Profile Send Citizen Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I've been able to find out, the department head position in the Assessors' Office was not part of the original charter as an administrative office; therefore, it appears it does not have to be approved by the Board of Aldermen. The Board of Assessors is not the same thing as the Assessor's Office or the department head position.

Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  08:51:23 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, Bill Hart and Katherine Bernier are two of the board members, who is the third? How many other people work as employees in the Accessors office? I am a little less confused now, I think.
Go to Top of Page

Citizen Kane
Advanced Member

1082 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  09:27:43 AM  Show Profile Send Citizen Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ron Keohan was the third. My understanding is that he either left or was let go. So that spot needs to be filled.

I'm not sure how many other people work in the Assessors' Office. I think there are two or three women who work there as clerks.
Go to Top of Page

Citizen Kane
Advanced Member

1082 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  09:47:15 AM  Show Profile Send Citizen Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Mayor Hanlon will not be part of the DeMaria administration in anyway"

AVGMOM . . . if that is the case, then someone better explain that to Mayor Hanlon. From yesterday's Boston Globe: "STADIUM UPGRADE -- Outgoing Mayor John Hanlon says he hopes to start soliciting private donations in January, after he leaves office, for the Everett Stadium renovation project. The Common Council on Nov. 19 officially delayed further debate on the issue and referred it to Carlo DeMaria, the alderman at large who takes over as mayor in January. Hanlon said in an interview that a $50,000 anonymous donation, given tot he city before September's primary election, will be used to create an architectural engineering plan for the stadium upgrade. He said the donor must approve the selection of the architectural/engineering firm before the city goes ahead with the plan, and that he expects to be working closely with DeMaria on the project in the future. Hanlon has estimated that the stadium upgrade will cost $11 million and that it will include renovations to the parking area, playing field, bleacher area and new locker rooms."

Sounds like Mayor Hanlon is going to have a fairly substantial role in the administration . . .
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  10:25:37 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the 2005 election, wasn't Ron Keohan, Hanlon's campaign manager?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2