Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 General Discussion
 DCR
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  08:09:22 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After re-watching the DCR portion of this week's BOA meeting, I picked up on the fact that the DCR maintenance schedule is posted on-line. So I decided to do a little research to find out what the maintenance schedule for the parkway is. The current schedules posted on the DCR website cover the months of May and June. It was a little bit of an effort to find the correct schedule since it is broken up by region and district. The only schedule that I could find that listed an Everett DCR property was in the Coastal district of the North region. That property was the pool. The Revere Beach Parkway is also found in this schedule but it is only listed for the City of Revere. Usually when a property that spans multiple cities and/or towns is listed in one of these schedules, all of communities are listed. So that you can see what I'm talking about, a link to this schedule is provided below:

You must be logged in to see this link.

Since I have nothing else to go on at the moment, I'm going to assume that schedule I found for the Revere Beach Parkway applies to all of the cities that it runs thru. If this is true, then the maintenance schedule for the parkway calls for litter to be picked, grass mowed or trimmed and paved surfaces to be weeded every 10 days. In addition, street sweeping is supposed to be done every 14 days. I don't know how accurate this is, but it is the best that I could come up with from what I had to work with.

In the last two weeks, I have actually observed some of these activities occurring on the parkway. Last week, on Monday I believe, I saw a crew picking up litter on the east bound side of the parkway between the two bridges that are a part of Santelli Circle. This appeared to be some sort of detail since the people working there all had on bright green t-shirts. I don't know where else they may have been since I only caught them on my way out of the city and they had moved on when I returned some time later. On Wednesday of this week, I saw the grass being mowed in the area behind the karate studio and weeds being whacked on the median strip by a private landscaping company. When I returned 45 minutes later, they were also gone. As I drove back into the city, I noticed that although cutting had been done, it appeared as if what had been cut had not been picked up. To be honest, this was more noticeable in the grassy area than it was in the median strip. Since it was lunch time, I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they would be back later to rectify the situation. When I went for my walk Wednesday night, I decided to check out the grassy area since it is fairly close to my normal route anyways. It was no better than when I went by at lunch time. The grass clipping were still there and Alderman Nuzzo's concern from Monday night of the litter being chewed up by the mower had come true. Maybe they have plans to come back and correct this but they left it a mess on Wednesday.

Although I appreciate that more of an effort appears to be being made in this area, I would suggest that it appears that we are off to a little bit of a rocky start.

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  3:24:14 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting post....who was the company on the rotary?
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  3:49:02 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I saw GTA at the rotary near Bst Buy doing some landscaping.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  4:14:09 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last week I saw GTA doing work on the rotary at lower Broadway where Mr Brandano was the caretaker. GTA was also the company that Tetris saw mowing. They mowed right over the trash that was on the ground and left it there. It was not a pleasing sight.

My question is, who is paying GTA? Is it the DCR or the City of Everett? Since it is state property shouldn't the DCR be paying for GTA's services? Anyone know who we could call at City Hall to find out if the State or the City is paying for GTA's work?

If any of our elected officials happen to be reading the blog, maybe you could point us in the right direction or maybe you know the answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by - massdee on 05/15/2008 4:26:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  4:30:46 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can also start with Ms. Doctoroff from the DCR. She seemed helpful and had no problem pointing out the fact Mr. Brandano was removed at the request of Brian Zaniboni and the DCR welcomed Mr. Brandano's help, after all he has been doing this for 9 years.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  4:36:45 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'd think that a local company would know better. Massdee, it would be a state contract thru the DCR.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  5:12:40 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does the DCR usually hire local companies like GTA or does the DCR do their own work?
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  5:26:47 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Used to do their own work but it seems as if they are outsourcing at least a good portion of it now.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  11:08:59 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did another walk-by tonight, no improvement. If anything, it looked worse tonight than it did yesterday.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  11:33:59 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An observation to what I saw this morning around Sweetser Circle...I guess no one listens to Alderman Nuzzo because once again GTA on DCR property and they cut the grass right over the trash and it spewed all over the place. To add insult to injury there was some branches that could not get run over by the mower so the guy stuffed them in the sewer!

Another thing I found disgusting today was behind Minichello there was a truck and they were unloading waste (not scrap metal) but literally crap like roofing stuff....etc. My problem with that was there was a huge pile of it RIGHT NEXT to the playground. Who knows what kind of harmful crap is in there for the kids to breath in.

disgusting......

Edited by - Tails on 05/22/2008 11:34:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  12:22:35 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GTA did the same thing last week, mowing right over the trash and leaving it there. You would think the DCR would come by and check on the work they are contracting out. Our tax dollars are paying for this, it should be done properly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2