Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 Leader Herald
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  09:36:19 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In today's paper under Real Estate Sales:

48 E. Elm St, $7,250,000.

Buyer: JMDH RE Everett LLC

Seller: Everett Bus Center LLC

I believe this is the old city yard.

"Deb"

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  10:45:47 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Leader Herald should spell it out like it is. Wood Waste of Boston purchased the property for $3,500,000.00 that the city council approved.

Out of that money, the taxpayers had to payoff abutters, never once trying to get that from Thibeault’s end.

Then he turns around and sells it for $7,250,000.00 that we were told we could NEVER get more money for that. He just MADE $3,750,000.00. Not bad for being friends with the mayor.

I will note vote for one person that approved of this deal.
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  11:05:50 AM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there a valid purchase and sales agreement that had to be enforced?
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  2:32:40 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My opinion is the sale was not valid and should have been repackaged out. We were never given the opportunity to do so.

The city council is on record that they misunderstood the vote and did not know they were finalizing the deal, and thought they were voting to get the Planning Board’s recommendation. That happened under David Ragucci. Also, the sale went well beyond the 90 days to be finalized. I think it could have been fought in court and won. If there was ever a time to hire outside legal counsel, that would have been the time.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  3:35:09 PM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The I.R.S. should be looking into these officals bank accounts and their spouses. For insuring a deal like that someone got something.
Go to Top of Page

waterboy

101 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  11:06:20 AM  Show Profile Send waterboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I notice in today's paper councilwoman diflorio house is on the public auction block page 9 middle of the collumn for sept 29th, does this mean she might have to move out of her ward, if so, I hope she comes to ward 4 we need someone who likes the mayor and does what he wants
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  8:02:01 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

I notice in today's paper councilwoman diflorio house is on the public auction block page 9 middle of the collumn for sept 29th, does this mean she might have to move out of her ward, if so, I hope she comes to ward 4 we need someone who likes the mayor and does what he wants

Hmmm...that's interesting. There's no way an auction sale will be finalized by November. Lets say the councilor gets re-elected....... is she locked in for two years as ward five representative.....even if she moves to another ward, or, even out of the city? I'm just not familiar with this procedure.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  8:24:54 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's an interesting question, Tails. I don't know the answer either. I wonder if it is addressed in the city's charter.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

Fran

250 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  11:39:54 AM  Show Profile Send Fran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Rosa was relected and then moved to another Ward, she can finish out the term. If you move out of the City you cannot serve.
Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  12:51:21 PM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
according to today's everett leader there is a new website for crime, went on it nothing for everett

You must be logged in to see this link.

thought it was kinda of funny
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  09:06:15 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everett Leader Herald 12/10/09

City names Joy AS Director of Personnel

Mayor Carlo DeMaria Jr. is pleased to announce the appointment of Robert A. Joy as the City's new Director of Personnel. Mr. Joy officially started last week and comes to the city with vast experience in municipal human resources.

Prior to accepting this position, Mr. Joy's served as Director of Human Services in Framingham, where one of his accomplishments was the development and implementation of an Employee Recognition program. In Framingham, he was also instrumental in the successful reorganization of town government resulting in a more professional and efficient operation.

Mr. Joy began his career in the City of Somerville working under five Mayors over a twelve year period, starting as a Personnel Assistant and ultimately earning the Directors position. Mr. Joy is a graduate of Suffolk University earning a B.A. in Political Science, and has a Human Resources Certificate from Bentley College.

" Send in the Clowns "
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  12:32:17 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what Melissa Murphy's new title is? Last weeks Leader Herald referred to her only as a "spokesperson" from the mayor's office. I don't believe I have seen her being formally introduced to the City Council with her new title. Did I miss it?

Why would a bright, young attorney want to leave the city's law department?

" Send in the Clowns "

Edited by - massdee on 01/05/2010 12:33:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  12:52:06 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know Massdee. Thought it was strange that Leader Herald article didn't even mention her by name. She's been introducing herself as "from the Mayor's Office" when she comes to the podium at City Council meetings. So no help there either.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  12:52:19 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont know.....it's all strange to me and I still would like to know who is it that will “actively pursue” all those code enforcement fines in court that we have been told over and over that she’s been so diligent about.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  1:09:30 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems like a step down to me. I know if I spent all that time getting a law degree, I would want to be practicing law. We all know from the Erin Deveney situation Ms Murphy cannot work both in the mayors office and the law department.

Tails, you are right, it does seem strange.

" Send in the Clowns "
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  11:34:16 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everett Leader Herald February 11, 2010

Commentary pg. 4

What this city Really needs….

Everywhere you go in this city, you hear people asking, “Do you know what this city really needs…?” From Dunkin Donuts at Pope John to the Dunkin Donuts on Lower Broadway, and all points in between, wherever people gather to talk politics, you can hear the people complain about city government and what needs to be done about it.

And it isn’t anything new. They were doing it in a hundred and thirty-eight years ago in 1872 when the South Maldonians became Everett-ites and they’ll be doing it a hundred and thirty-eight years from now wherever people gather for coffee in 2148.

The major complaint for years was what are we going to do with the form of our city government? We need to fix this and we need to fix that. We need to get rid of the bicameral form of government and we need to keep the bicameral form of government. We need two- year terms. We need four year-terms. But above all, we need charter review.

Wee now we have a Charter Commission so we can’t complain about that. Well people may complain about the members, how much money they are spending and so on and so on…

But now that we have a Charter Review Commission, you know what this city really needs? We need a recall petition process! What’s a recall petition process? To paraphrase Yogi Berra, that’s the kind of petition process that you don’t know that you need it until you don’t have it.

Simply stated, a recall petition or a recall election is a process by which voters can remove an elected official from office through a direct vote. A recall election is authorized when a sufficient number of registered voters sign a recall petition.

Recall petitions and elections are nothing new. You can trace their roots back to the ancient Greeks. Voters in Athens could look to the Constitution of Athens for the authority for recall petitions and elections. While there is no recall at the federal level today, there was a recall process in place during the Continental Congress.

Across the country, a majority of states allow the recall of officials at the local level, only eighteen states allow the recall of state officials. Massachusetts is among the 32 states that do not have a recall statute at the state level. Many cities and towns do have recall ordinances and by laws.

In Westborough, any holder of an elected office in the town may be recalled and removed from that office by the qualified voters of that town. Any 200 registered voters may initiate a recall petition. In Marshfield a recall petition requires 20% of the town’s registered voters.

Why do we need such a recall process in Everett? One reason is the recent move to increase the Mayor’s salary. The newest member of the Common Council from Ward 2 recently suggested that the Mayor needs a raise. At the January 20 meeting of the Common Council the councilor sponsored a Resolution that the Finance Committee should study a raise for the Mayor and futher that the City Clerk should provide the committee with salary figures from surrounding communities.

What was he thinking? We’re in an historic recession. The Commonwealth is facing huge revenue shortfalls. Every other community in Massachusetts is looking to cut costs. Layoffs are looming over municipal workers. Just one year ago, Everett was about to layoff employees at city hall. And the Councilman wants to study raises?

Maybe his problem is with arithmetic. Apparently he can add but he can’t subtract. It is not realistic in this economic climate to look to increase any salaries. Now is the time to do subtraction. Now is the time to find way to (do) more with less. Maybe the security of a brand- new- two- year term gives elected officials the temerity to make such suggestions.

Well perhaps a recall ordinance is the answer. A recall ordinance will ensure that elected officials remember their duty to the voters for their entire term and not just in the two months before the municipal elections.

The Charter Review Commission as possible addition to the charter should consider the matter. In some ways asking our elected officials to debate and enact a recall ordinance is creating a conflict of interest. Can they act independently on a measure that could cost them their elected office?

In ant event, the recall petition process is certainly a timely topic for discussion

"When the cats away the mice will play"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2