Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Announcements
 2012 Board of Alderman
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  7:02:48 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The new Parking Clerk is the first appointment since the Residency Requirement. It will be interesting to see if there are any questions regarding Ms Karas' appointment. She was the Parking Clerk in Winthrop but there really isn't any comparison.

I'm also interested in what kind of cars they're buying. $120,000 for 4 vehicles seems a bit high.
Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  1:56:06 PM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the new parking clerk does not live in everett she owns property here with her sister, and they are buying ford focus you know they need the bells and whistles on them, waste of money make them walk I say
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  10:46:19 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by charm

the new parking clerk does not live in everett she owns property here with her sister, and they are buying ford focus you know they need the bells and whistles on them, waste of money make them walk I say

Yes, she doesn't live here so I'm very curious to see if anyone bothers to inquire about any qualified candidate who may reside in the city. I may be off base here but as I said previously, being a parking clerk in Winthrop is a long way off from being one here in Everett.

Since when does a Ford Focus cost $30,000? Even with the cost for the lights & such that need to be added that figure is way off base. Walking was fine when they were only tagging meters but it's not realistic now that we have Resident Parking & they are responsible for parking violations city wide.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  11:01:23 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not in favor of #17 to petition the court to establish a linkage fee revolving account.

First, does it have to be a “revolving” account?

What is the justification for establishing a linkage fee revolving account (aka – another tax) on overburdened business as is??
I might have been in favor if the City was in dire straits for revenue, but I just do not see it.

Somerville petitioned the court in 2005 (Bill #4474) and their justification was their city was undergoing “substantial” growth in real estate. IMHO – I do not see any substantial growth in Everett to justify this at all…and we certainly do not need anymore housing in the city!

I think what’s going on at the old high school (#31) is sickening. I’d like to know what the policy is on the proper use of municipal buildings. Everything that has gone on at the old high school has been nothing but difficulties…an inconvenience to the neighbors, and straining our police department. If anyone from the administration stands up there and says there are no problems…then they are boldfaced liars.

As for #36 – I’d like to know what the city does with the lottery money. The City of Everett received over 5 million dollars in FY/11.

Fiscal Year 2011
In Fiscal Year 2011 the Massachusetts State Lottery Distributed $898,980,293 in Direct Local Aid to the cities and towns of the Commonwealth

Lottery revenues are distributed to the 351 cities and towns of the Commonwealth according to a local aid formula established by the Legislature. Lottery funds are not earmarked for any specific programs, allowing cities and towns to choose how they would like to spend the funds. The Photo Version of the listing below includes a sample of how some cities and towns have used Lottery revenues to fund local programs and services.

EVERETT - $5,843,460
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  11:33:24 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In better times, I might be on the fence about a linkage fee. But with the inability to attract much commercial development to the city in the last few years, how is an additional required payment, and a large one at that if you use the numbers they were throwing around last week, going to help? I'd rather see recurring tax revenue every year instead of scaring developers off with a one-time, up-front payment. And I agree with Tails. A revolving fund? That means than any adminstration would be able to spend the money any way that they chose without any further input from anyone else. Again, if you use the numbers they were throwing around last week, that's just too much money to give anyone the ability to spend with no further oversight.

I believe that the city services commission normally is the body that gives permission to use city facilties, like the school committee does for the use of school buildings. (Yeah, I know, really rubber stamps in both cases.)

I'd assume that the lottery money is put in the general fund and is just another offset to make up the difference between the operating budget and the tax levy.

When they discuss the issue of water rates, I hope that someone asks how the additional two month water bill for FY12 that about a third of the city received is going to impact FY13. To me, it was just a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul since that income normally would have been collected in FY13. The explanation that we got the last time didn't really address that.

Edited by - tetris on 07/30/2012 11:36:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  12:43:27 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it constitutional to have religious services in a city owned building?
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  12:57:16 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought Church and State were strictly separate. The hours of operation alone should be unconstitutional since it's a burden to the residents.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  12:59:34 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It happens all over the country Massdee as I found out when I did a quick internet search. About the only restriction I found is that you can't discriminate between religious groups.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  1:12:54 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then I don't get it. They pick and choose which religious things can happen on public property. I'm not talking just about Everett. What about mangers or Christmas Carols not allowed in schools? So, it seems to me, if they can make money with rent, then it's okay.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  1:17:31 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think since there's abuse to the building that the alderman should see the contract for the old high school and any damages the group should be held responsible. They should NEVER block driveways and never been granted permission to operate at those crazy hours. As we all know when you leave services, people stand around and talk. Car doors opening and shutting for the neighbors to hear at all hours is bull****.

Here is a list of some businesses that are trying to get OUT of Everett. Linkage fees are a BAD idea.

MLS #: 71232637 Status: ACT List Price: $29,900
85 Ferry St
Everett, MA Business Opportunity - Other (See Remarks)
Remarks: Real Estate Franchise and Business for sale. Franchise can be relocated in any city, or take over current location. All business materials and most listings to be included in sale. This is a great opportunity at a great price. Don't miss out.

x9 MLS #: 71392674 Status: ACT List Price: $45,000
384 MAIN ST
Everett, MA Business Opportunity - Convenience/Grocery
Remarks: Great established convenience store near the center of town. lots of car and foot traffic, the property is also surrounded by multi unit dwellings. The business has been there for about 9 years and once held a profitable lottery and tobaco sales profit, any buyer will greatly increase the profitability one those two items are reintroduced. As is the business has a great turnover and does very well. Currently a taw but lease can be established prior to any closing.

x5 MLS #: 71379128 Status: ACT List Price: $55,000
888 Confidential
Everett, MA Business Opportunity - Laundry/Dryclean
Remarks: Great Business Opportunity,busy Glendale Square! Wash, Dry, Fold and Dry Cleaning Service with Pick up and Delivery!!! 3 Washers,(55Lb) 3 Washers(40Lb) 9 Small Washers (14Lb) and 16 Dryers ( 4 Dryers 2007 and 6, 2011). All Reasonable Offers Will Be Considered. Seller Is Ready To Train New Owners! Restroom, Office and Basement,Great Cash Flow!!

x12 MLS #: 71296306 Status: ACT List Price: $144,000
000 Broadway
Everett, MA Business Opportunity - Laundry/Dryclean
Remarks: Well established & profitable dry cleaners located on Broadway For Sale Business Only. Included w/sale is all the equipment, shirt unit, dry clean machine, auto rack for finished clothes, mans shirt press, washer/dryer, dressing area, 3 sewing machines, computer to track business, kitchen area w/ refrigerator & sink.1/2 bath, & exclusive parking, so deliveries are made easy. Existing 5 year lease. Aprox establ. date. Utilities are paid separately by business owner & not included in rent.

x2 MLS #: 71378966 Status: ACT List Price: $349,000
999 Confidential St
Everett, MA Business Opportunity - Restaurant w/Liquor
Remarks: Established Restaurant w/ Full Liquor License, entertainment License. Lottery License . Newer equipments, # baths. Seats 60 in main room, additional 50 on Meeting rooms. Plenty of parking around building. Serious inquiries Only.

x3 MLS #: 71394097 Status: ACT List Price: $350,000
195 Elm St
Everett, MA Business Opportunity - Service
Remarks: Daycare / Learning center 35 yrs in Business, at the same location! Sale includes the business, trademarks, and fixtures. The owner reports having a license for 20 kids with the potential of adding more. Per the seller, the business profits 41k a year, plus she takes a salary for managing the business. This is an excellent opportunity, to start a business and hit the ground running. Business and Building/real estate also for sale, see MLS# 71391068.

MLS #: 71340150 Status: ACT List Price: $420,000
1 Bakery Cafe
Everett, MA Business Opportunity - Other (See Remarks)
Remarks: Well known First class Bakery with cafe Beer and wine license, very clean, Great business. 12 years in business seats 48. Everything goes with business. One of a kind money maker, 15 year lease.

"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
- Lord Acton
Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  7:31:23 PM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
parking clerk, mis director and hearing officer all for 82,000 give me a break,
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  10:27:40 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
$25,000.00 X 11 = $275,000.00 for the salary of the City Council come January 2014.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  07:10:46 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by massdee

$25,000.00 X 11 = $275,000.00 for the salary of the City Council come January 2014.

I didn't see the meeting. Are you saying they changed the $15,000 to $25,000?
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  07:24:22 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cut the extra stipend for the the president first. Then changed the salary. Proposed by Mike Marchese. Marchese, Van Campen, McGongagle and Cardello for; DiPerri, Mangan and Sachetta against. Reconsidered failed.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  4:01:32 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do they think by foregoing the $2,500 stipend we won't notice they're trying to pad their pockets?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2