Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Announcements
 2012 Board of Alderman
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  4:35:25 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does this have to go down to the Common Council or is it a done deal?
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  5:28:21 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last night was only the first reading of the salary increase pieces. They have to make it thru at least three more readings, two in the CC and one in the BOA.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  5:37:52 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regardless of the outcome, I've pretty much had it with all of them. I hope we see a lot of new names on the ballot next year because I'll be voting for all of them!
Go to Top of Page

THE DJ

24 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  09:10:59 AM  Show Profile Send THE DJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a Monday night Date starting at 6pm and all show up to City Hall and Protest the New Raises these Rump Swabs voted themselves.

Can someone explain why the City Of Everett citizens have no say in these types of raises.

I have seen other cities citizens have the right to vote for payroll raises. I'm sure if Everett did they would not have voted for it in these times of economical hard times for all the citizens.

Take a hard look a 35K raise and 10K raises with a 5K expense this should never never never happened.

Lets do this protest-pick a date-show up and let them know we are all against what they did behind our backs.

I would hope we can catch every one of these rump swabs out side city hall and give em HELL

Please lets take a poll on this and please respond if you would show up for this PROTEST, stand up enough is enough if you do nothing now it will get worse!!!
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  10:11:19 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, we need to get the facts rights. The current proposals on the table are a $30K raise for the mayor and $25K salary for the new city council members vs. $7,200 for the aldermen and $5,500 for the common council members currently. Presently, there is no proposal on the table for $5,000 expense allowance for the new city council members. Yes, an expense allowance was discussed while the issue was in committee but it is not part of what is presently being discussed. It was irresponsible of the Independent to publish and editorialize on this misinformation, IMHO. It was also wrong of them, and the Advocate too, to spotlight only the proposed increase in the City Council members salary and just about ignore the increase to the Mayor's salary, again IMHO.

Secondly, these proposed salary increases are set by ordinance. Therefore, at least four readings of these items are required before they become law, two by the BOA and two by the CC. The final votes by each branch must approve the exact same proposal or the measure will continue to be bounced back and forth the two branches. Since there are at least three more votes required before the proposal will become law, there is time to let your representatives know how you feel about them. The current proposals can be changed before they become law.

Lastly, maybe an organized protest is a way to go; but it's not the only one. Of course, there's the required public comment period at each regularly scheduled City Council meeting. But there is also the initiative petition route. Since these salaries are set by ordinances, I believe that, if passed, they would be candidates for the initiative petition process which, if successful, would put the issue on the ballot to let the voters decide if they want them or not.
Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  1:24:57 PM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
don't stress over this a c.c is bringing to the floor in august and cutting back to 17, 500, because she has to be the HERO
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  2:35:58 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by charm

don't stress over this a c.c is bringing to the floor in august and cutting back to 17, 500, because she has to be the HERO

No one is stressing but many of us are pi$$ed............... Our taxes keep going up & our elected officials keep approving unrealistic pay increases for Carlo's friends, & now themselves.

I know they all are required to attend some committee meetings as well as the meetings but there's no way anyone can convince me they put in enough time to justify $25,000 or $17,500. I'm not even too sure about $15,000 but at least that keeps us in the ballpark of what we're currently spending.

I'd really like to know how much time they "think" they spending on city business & how much more they believe they'll spend when their numbers are smaller. Of course, if we ask for that information, they'll put their heads together & make sure they come up with some ridiculous numbers to show us that even @ 25K they'll be "working" for us @ a rate of $1.65 an hour!!

There was a question about the validity of the new charter calling for no insurance for the council. Was that question ever answered? What was the result?
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  2:45:38 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by justme

quote:
Originally posted by charm

No one is stressing but many of us are pi$$ed............... Our taxes keep going up & our elected officials keep approving unrealistic pay increases for Carlo's friends, & now themselves.

I know they all are required to attend some committee meetings as well as the meetings but there's no way anyone can convince me they put in enough time to justify $25,000 or $17,500. I'm not even too sure about $15,000 but at least that keeps us in the ballpark of what we're currently spending.

I'd really like to know how much time they "think" they spending on city business & how much more they believe they'll spend when their numbers are smaller. Of course, if we ask for that information, they'll put their heads together & make sure they come up with some ridiculous numbers to show us that even @ 25K they'll be "working" for us @ a rate of $1.65 an hour!!

There was a question about the validity of the new charter calling for no insurance for the council. Was that question ever answered? What was the result?

I spoke with an elected official about this money Carlo wants to allocate THIS MONDAY night. All I can say about that is no one better even vote on it. He did not give anyone time to review. People received it today and we are talking about allowing him to spend millions. Granted, the capital improvement plan was vote on and accepted but people really need to do their homework for what he's asking for.

As for these outrages salaries...it's a game. It's not the intention to have the salary $25,000.00. They want $17,500.00 and are trying to make it look like the $17,500 is a negotiation. The whole thing and how it's being handled is disgusting. I'm sick of all the game playing. I want professionalism from new councilors next election.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  3:05:42 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope it's a game they lose but the deck is stacked so I can hope all I want, but it's a waste of time.

I agree they shouldn't approve the requests on Monday but he's got the majority in his back pocket (or should I say our wallets?) & will more than likely get what he wants.

While discussing our city with a friend who doesn't live here, he suggested I run for a seat on the new council. Since their pay check is going to be more than my unemployment checks (which end in a few weeks) I may just do that. Then I can collect a paycheck from the city for doing very little & when I finally get another job the city will continue to pay me whether I show up or not like Lou Sierra.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  3:52:39 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a plan. Maybe we all should run...
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  6:00:44 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by massdee

Sounds like a plan. Maybe we all should run...

We certainly couldn't do any worse than the current group!!
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  09:49:54 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to the Mayor's Op-Ed in today's paper, there is a Board of Alderman meeting on Thursday, August 9, 2012 to vote on these appropriations. No time was given.

Ordered: that $7,015,767 is appropriated to pay costs of the following capital projects:

Project Amount
Glendale Park Improvements $2,100,000
Crosswalk Installation 200,000
Roadway Reconstruction 3,771,767
Sidewalk Reconstruction 64,000
Fire Department Repairs and Design 250,000
Parlin School Masonry Repairs 500,000
911 Stairs 50,000
Police Station Renovations 80,000

including the payment of any other costs incidental and related thereto; that to meet this appropriation, the Treasurer with the approval of the Mayor, is authorized to borrow said under and pursuant to Chapter 44, Sections 7 and 8 of the General Laws, or pursuant to any other enabling authority, and to issue bonds or notes of the City therefor.

Further Ordered: that the Treasurer is authorized to file an application with the Municipal Finance Oversight Board to qualify under Chapter 44A of the General Laws any or all of the bonds authorized by this Order and to provide such information and execute such documents as the Municipal Finance Oversight Board may require for these purposes.

Ordered: that $4,480,000 is appropriated to pay costs of the following capital projects:

Project Amount
Residential Water Meters (Non-MWRA) $3,000,000
Water Main Replacements (MWRA) 4,172,000
Water System Repairs (Non-MWRA) 350,000
Water Dept.Vehicle Replacement 130,000

including the payment of any other costs incidental and related thereto; that to meet this appropriation, the Treasurer with the approval of the Mayor, is authorized to borrow said under and pursuant to Chapter 44, Sections 7 and 8 of the General Laws, or pursuant to any other enabling authority, and to issue bonds or notes of the City therefor.

Further Ordered: that the Treasurer is authorized to file an application with the Municipal Finance Oversight Board to qualify under Chapter 44A of the General Laws any or all of the bonds authorized by this Order and to provide such information and execute such documents as the Municipal Finance Oversight Board may require for these purposes.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  1:17:11 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tails,

Like a lot things you read in the Independent, you have to take them with a grain a salt. Just remember, they had to apologize this week for erroneously publishing last week that a $5,000 annual expense account was part of the new city council compensation package. Still no criticism (or even a mention) of the mayor's proposed increase in this week's paper. Just more outrage over the city council's new salary which isn't even final yet. I wonder why that is? But I digress.

Those two items are stuck in the common council. The joint convention referred them to the common council. The common council has to take action on these items before they can be passed on the board of aldermen. They didn't because a two-thirds vote was required on loan authorization and there were only 10 of 18 members present. So they remain in the common council and President Napolitano said at the end of the meeting that he believed it was up to the Mayor to determine how to proceed, either another special meeting or the next regularly scheduled meeting of the common council. I guess that all that will be on the board of aldermen's agenda at this Thursday's special meeting will be the STA agreement for L. Knife.

I busted on the Independent earlier in this post about printing misinformation in the paper; but I'd say that more the blame in this case lies in the Mayor's office. The "From the Mayor's Office" section of the paper is just that; a collection of press releases from the Mayor's Office. It looks the Mayor's Op-ed piece must have been written after it was realized that the board of aldermen couldn't meet on a financial matter on the same day as the common council but before what happened Monday night. And it wasn't updated. Ooops!!

Edited by - tetris on 08/08/2012 1:25:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  8:56:47 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN, MONDAY, AUGUST 27, 2012, 7:00 PM, PETER J. MCCARREN MEMORIAL CHAMBERS, EVERETT, MA

PUBLIC HEARINGS

1. A0194-12
In accordance with the Joint Rules of the City Council, that each meeting of the City Council shall allow up to ten (10) minutes for public participation and comment prior to commencement of the reading of the communications from the Mayor.

2. A0222-12
To all parties interested in the public hearing for an Auto Repair-Mechanical License for Guido Mondello D/B/A Bay State Auto Repair, 67 Rear Chelsea Street, Everett, MA.

COMMUNICATIONS FROM HIS HONOR THE MAYOR

3. A0223-12 Order/s/Alderman Joseph W. McGonagle, as President
Subject to confirmation by the Honorable Board of Aldermen, in conformity with the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, Chapter 2, Section 221, I hereby appoint Terri Iannaco to the Council on Aging to fill a term that expires in August 2017.

4. A0224-12 Order/s/Alderman Joseph W. McGonagle, as President
Subject to confirmation by the Honorable Board of Aldermen, in conformity with the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, Chapter 2, Section 2-221, I hereby appoint Rachel DiSchino to the Council on Aging to fill a term that expires in August 2017.

5. A0225-12 Order/s/Alderman Joseph W. McGonagle, as President
Subject to confirmation by the Honorable Board of Aldermen, I hereby appoint, in accordance with the Acts of 2010, Chapter 332, Section 2, of the Massachusetts Session Laws, Mr. James Soper to the position of Inspectional Services Director for a term of three years.

PAPERS FROM THE COMMON COUNCIL

6. C0147-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
To accept an anonymous donation of $159.33 to the City of Everett's Office of Human Services Emergency Services Account. (Passed sent up for concurrence.)

7. C0150-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
To accept donations totaling $11,000.00 to the 9/11 Memorial Fund Account from the following: Janis Canies $100, Rockwell Amusements $10,000, Josephine & Albert Massua $100, Carlo & Rosa DeMaria $500, Judith Murphy $100, Emilia Cardello $100, Domenic DiBiase $100. (Passed sent up for concurrence.)

8. A0188-12 Ordinance/s/Alderman Sal Sachetta, as Chairman of Finance and Councilor Sergio Cornelio, as Co-Chairman of Finance
That in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 3, Section 1 of the City of Everett Charter and Chapter 7, Section 7-163 of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, the salary for the position of Mayor shall be $115,000.00 annually effective January 1, 2014. All Ordinances or parts of Ordinances in conflict with the foregoing are hereby repealed. (Enrolled in concurrence, sent up for ordainment.)

9. C0127-12 Order/s/Councilor Sergio Cornelio
Favorable recommendation from Veteran's Officer to dedicate a square in honor of John Doherty, US Army, at the corner of Mansfield Street and Argyle Street. (Communication accepted, passed sent up for concurrence.)

10. C0135-12 Order/s/Councilors Jason Marcus and Joseph King
Favorable response from Veteran's Officer, to dedicate a square in honor of James Brickley, WWII Veteran and Korean War Veteran, at the intersection of Mt. Washington and Alpine Road. (Communication accepted, passed sent up for concurrence.)

11. C0141-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
That $7,015,767 is appropriated to pay costs of the following capital projects: Glendale Park Improvements $2,100,000; Crosswalk Installation $200,000; Roadway Reconstruction $3,771,767; Sidewalk Reconstruction $64,000; Fire Department Repairs and Design $250,000; Parlin School Masonry Repairs $500,000; 911 Stairs $50,000; Police Station Renovations $80,000 including the payment of any other costs incidental and related thereto; that to meet this appropriation, the Treasurer with the approval of the Mayor, is authorized to borrow said under and pursuant to Chapter 44, Sections 7 and 8 of the General Laws, or pursuant to any other enabling authority, and to issue bonds or notes of the City therefore. Further Ordered: that the Treasurer is authorized to file an application with the Municipal Finance Oversight Board to qualify under Chapter 44A of the General Laws any or all of the bonds authorized by this Order and to provide such information and execute such documents as the Municipal Finance Oversight Board may require for these purposes. (Passed (reconsideration failed) sent up for concurrence.)

12. C0142-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
That $7,652,000 is appropriated to pay costs of the following capital project: Residential Water Meters (Non-MWRA)$3,000,000; Water Main Replacements (MWRA) 4,172,000; Water System Repairs (Non-MWRA) $350,000; Water Dept.Vehicle Replacement $130,000; including the payment of any other costs incidental and related thereto; that to meet this appropriation, the Treasurer with the approval of the Mayor, is authorized to borrow said under and pursuant to Chapter 44, Sections 7 and 8 of the General Laws, or pursuant to any other enabling authority, and to issue bonds or notes of the City therefore. Further Ordered: that the Treasurer is authorized to file an application with the Municipal Finance Oversight Board to qualify under Chapter 44A of the General Laws any or all of the bonds authorized by this Order and to provide such information and execute such documents as the Municipal Finance Oversight Board may require for these purposes. (Amended by deleting "$7,652,000" and replace with "$9,152,000" and further amend to delete "$4,172,000" besides (MWRA) and insert "$5,672,000" in its place. Passed as amended, (reconsideration failed), sent up for concurrence.)

13. C0151-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
Granting Special Municipal Employee status to members of the Council on Aging. (Passed sent up for concurrence.)

14. C0152-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
Granting Special Municipal Employee Status to members of the Recreation Commission. (Passed sent up for concurrence.)

15. C0153-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
Granting the position of Elderly Assistant - Special Municipal Employee Status. (Passed sent up for concurrence.)

16. C0154-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
Granting the position of Director of Human Services - Special Municipal Employee Status. (Passed sent up for concurrence.)

17. C0155-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
Granting the position of member of the Disability Commission - Special Municipal Employee Status. (Passed sent up for concurrence.)

18. C0156-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
Granting the position of member of the Board of Trustees of the Public Libraries - Special Municipal Employee Status.(Passed sent up for concurrence.)

19. C0157-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
Granting the position of Clerk of the Common Council - Special Municipal Employee Status. (Passed sent up for concurrence.)

20. C0158-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
Granting the position of Data Input Clerk in the Department of Parking Enforcement - Special Municipal Employee Status. (Passed sent up for concurrence.)

21. C0159-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
Granting the position of Everett Technology Center Coordinator - Special Municipal Employee Status. (Passed sent up for concurrence.)

COMMUNICATIONS

22. A0189-12 Order/s/Alderman Sal Sachetta
Recommendation from Veteran's Officer to dedicate a square at the corner of Valley and Clark Streets in honor of a Veteran named WWII P.O.W., Anthony Badalato, who resided at 37 Clark Street, and recently passed on. His Wife still lives at that address.

23. A0196-12 Order/s/Alderman Michael J. Mangan
Recommendation from Veteran's Officer to dedicate a square in honor of US Veteran Edward Francis DeVanna, at the corner of Chestnut Street and Chestnut Place.

24. A0226-12
Communication from City Clerk regarding a police report relative to an automobile purchased from ProCars at 152 Ferry Street. (Copy in mailboxes.)

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

25. A0190-12
Petition for grated doors installed at 1949 Revere Beach Parkway for CASSELLA'S LIQUOR.

26. A0201-12
Petition for Lodging House License for the Bill Moore House at 76 Norwood Street from Caritas Community, Inc.

27. A0202-12
Petition for Lodging House License for the Hancock Hotel at 19 Hancock Street from Caritas Community, Inc.

28. A0199-12 Resolution/s/Alderman Robert Van Campen
That the Mayor and his staff appear before the Board of Aldermen to explain further increases to water and sewer rates which have recently been presented to the City Services Commission, notwithstanding the most recent substantial increase in water and sewer rates.

NEW BUSINESS

29. A0216-12 Resolution/s/Alderman Sal Sachetta
That all towing of vehicles for street cleaning stop at once; and that a new procedure be put in place. All vehicles would still be ticketed, and after three tickets have been issued to a certain vehicle, it would be towed.

30. A0217-12 Resolution/s/Alderman Sal Sachetta
That the City consider leasing the land on the River Edge, or space on the top of the Whidden Hospital Garage and/or on the top of the new High School to a Wind Turbine Farm Corporation. Any similar location where wind turbines would be practical and we could receive royalties from them as this would be beneficial to our City. This is being considered by other cities such as Cheyenne in Wisconsin.

31. A0218-12 Resolution/s/Alderman Michael Mangan
That the City of Everett look into the possibility of creating an energy partnership with surrounding communities in order to purchase power at a reduced tate. This is being done in Lynn & Swampscott. Refer to Mayor to respond on matter next meeting.

32. A0219-12 Order/s/Alderman Joseph W. McGonagle, as President
That in accordance with the provisions of the General Law of Massachusetts, the City Clerk be and is hereby authorized and directed to notify and warn the inhabitants of the City of Everett, qualified to vote as the law requires, to assemble at the several polling places, for and within the several precincts, where they are duly registered voters on THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2012 for the STATE PRIMARY, then and there to give in their votes for the election of political parties for the following offices:

SENATOR IN CONGRESS
REPRESENTATIVE IN CONGRESS
COUNCILLOR
SENATOR IN GENERAL COURT
REPRESENTATIVE IN GENERAL COURT
CLERK OF COURTS
REGISTER OF DEEDS
SHERIFF

33. A0220-12 Order/s/Alderman Joseph W. McGonagle, as President
That the polls be opened from 7 o’clock in the morning to 8 o’clock in the evening and the City Clerk to cause all voting places to be properly fitted up for the STATE PRIMARY, THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2012. Ordered Further: That the following places be designated as polling places for the above mentioned

STATE PRIMARY, THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2012:
Ward 1 Prec. 1 Armory, 90 Chelsea Street
Ward 1 Prec. 2 Parlin Library, 410 Broadway
Ward 2 Prec. 1 Keverian School, 20 Nichols Street
Ward 2 Prec. 2 Keverian School, 20 Nichols Street
Ward 3 Prec. 1 Community Center, 21 Whittier Drive
Ward 3 Prec. 2 Recreation Center Building, 47 Elm Street
Ward 4 Prec. 1 Lafayette School, Edith Street, enter from Bryant Street
Ward 4 Prec. 2 Glendale Towers, Ferry Street
Ward 5 Prec. 1 English School, 105 Woodville Street
Ward 5 Prec. 2 City Hall, Keverian Room, Third Floor, 484 Broadway
Ward 6 Prec. 1 English School, 105 Woodville Street
Ward 6 Prec. 2 Adams School, 78 Tileston Street

34. A0221-12 Ordinance/s/Alderman Robert Van Campen
To consider expanding the hours of the residential parking program in residential neighborhoods.

35. A0227-12 Ordinance/s/Alderman Michael K. Marchese
The salary for each member of the Everett City Council 2014 shall be $19,500.00 annually effective January 1, 2014, which does not include health insurance. In addition, the President of the Everett City Council shall receive an additional stipend of $2,500.00 annually for the performance of duties of said office.

Adjournment

Reminders:
9/4/12 7PM Common Council Meeting
9/10/12 7PM Next Board of Aldermen Meeting

Respectfully submitted:

Caroline McCorry
Administrative Assistant / Office Manager
Everett City Council Office

council@ci.everett.ma.us
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

kittycat

66 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  10:45:50 PM  Show Profile Send kittycat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
29. A0216-12 Resolution/s/Alderman Sal Sachetta
That all towing of vehicles for street cleaning stop at once; and that a new procedure be put in place. All vehicles would still be ticketed, and after three tickets have been issued to a certain vehicle, it would be towed.

it's a good idea Sal but might not be done, already in place cars cannot be towed until they rec'd a letter from the parking clerks office and they have 30 days to pay the ticket after the 30 days they will be towed
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2