Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Announcements
 2012 Common Council
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

kittycat

66 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  11:16:53 AM  Show Profile Send kittycat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DJ Napolitano for leadership should be interesting

waterboy

101 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  3:29:25 PM  Show Profile Send waterboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
who is going to take the ward 5 seat, this guy mills or dragone,

yeah kittycat already have a headache and DJ is not even on T.V. yet lol
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  4:49:39 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are they filing the seat tonight? I know that the agendas for the special organizational meetings are usually pretty standard but here's a case where it would have been informative to see these agendas before the meetings.

The city needs to find another way to get its web site updated. There will never be any significant type of public participation at these meetings if all you can comment on is agenda items and the agendas don't get posted at all or they aren't posted until the day of the meetings.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  7:25:54 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D J Napolitano is the new president of the CC.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  7:28:04 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, God I've missed Matewsky. 17 committees??
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  7:29:47 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It will be great TV having Wayne back.
Go to Top of Page

waterboy

101 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  06:19:09 AM  Show Profile Send waterboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
REGULAR MEETING OF THE EVERETT COMMON COUNCIL, TUESDAY,
JANUARY 17, 2012, 7:00 PM, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, 484
BROADWAY, THIRD FLOOR, EVERETT, MASSACHUSETTS 02149

(In accordance with the Common Council Rule 3, “Seating of Members” the seats of the members of the common council
shall be chosen by matter of seniority, at this meeting and seating arrangement shall be coterminous.”)

PUBLIC HEARINGS
1. C0009-12
Public Participation and Comment
In accordance with Joint Rule of the Everett City Council that each meeting of the City
Council shall allow up to ten (10) minutes for public participation prior to the
commencement of the reading of "Communications from His Honor the Mayor".
COMMUNICATIONS FROM HIS HONOR THE MAYOR

2. C0018-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
To accept a donation of $300.00 from Dunkin Donuts to the City of Everett's Office of
Human Services Emergency Services Account.

3. C0019-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
To accept donation of $600.00 from Dunkin Donuts to the Everett Police Department's
Donation Account.

4. C0020-12 Ordinance/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
To amend Chapter 17, Section 17-6 "Obstruction in streets and gutters." by adding new
paragraph "(b) 1. A-frame signs and other signs for advertising purposes shall not be
allowed on public property without a permit from the Board of Public Works. Permits
shall be applicable for ten (10) days and an individual shall be allowed only three (3)
permits per calendar year."

PAPERS FROM THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN
5. A0016-12 Order/s/Alderman Joseph W. McGonagle, as President
To accept donations totaling $1,540.00 from a list of people to the City of Everett's
Office of Human Services Emergency Services Account: (Passed sent down for
concurrence, and letters of thanks be sent.)

6. A0017-12 Order/s/Alderman Joseph W. McGonagle, as President
To accept donations totaling $729.33 to the City of Everett's Office of Human Services
Emergency Services Account from the following: Michael Marchese $500.00, Nancy
Vitukevich $25.00, Maureen Tringale $20.00, John & Ann Garon $25.00, Anonymous
$159.33. Total $729.33. (Passed sent down for concurrence, and letters of thanks be
sent.)

7. A0018-12 Order/s/Alderman Joseph W. McGonagle, as President
To accept the donation of $200.00 from J&M Building Corporation to the City of Everett's
Office of Human Services Emergency Services. (Passed sent down for concurrence,
and letter of thanks be sent.)

8. A0019-12 Order/s/Alderman Joseph W. McGonagle, as President

8. A0019-12 Order/s/Alderman Joseph W. McGonagle, as President
To accept donations totaling $2,500.00 from Eagle Bank Employees and Customers to
the City of Everett's Office of Human Services Emergency Services Account. (Passed
sent down for concurrence, and letters of thanks be sent.)

9. A0020-12 Order/s/Alderman Joseph W. McGonagle, as President
To accept the donation of $100.00 from Frederick Cafasso & Sons, Inc. to the Everett
Police Department's Donation Account. (Passed sent down for concurrence, and letter
of thanks be sent.)

10. A0021-12 Order/s/Alderman Joseph W. McGonagle, as President
To accept a donation of $80.00 from the Recreation Department to the City of Everett's
Office of Human Services Emergency Account. (Passed sent down for concurrence, and
letter of thanks be sent.)

NEW BUSINESS
11. C0008-12 Resolution/s/Councilor Rosa DiFlorio
To suspend the rules and invite the City Assessor to appear this meeting to explain
resident owner occupied information and the tax bills.

12. C0010-12 Ordinance/s/Councilors Daniel J. Napolitano and David P.
Rodrigues
That the Ordinances of the City of Everett be hereby amended or drafted, as necessary,
to require the disclosure of all accounts payable and payroll of the City of Everett,
making all information accessible on the City website.

13. C0011-12 Resolution/s/Councilor Jason Marcus
To have ECTV scroll all the councilmen and aldermen, with their picture, name, address
and phone number, if possible, on ECTV.

14. C0012-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
Pursuant to Section 7 of the City Charter, that the Common Council vacancy in Ward
Five be filled by a majority vote of the Common Council and a person so elected to fill
such vacancy shall hold office until his/her successor has qualified, who shall be elected
at the next biennial city election.

15. C0013-12 Resolution/s/Councilors Cynthia Sarnie, Michael McLaughlin
and Alderman Sal Sachetta
City Engineer look into painting lines on street for valid parking spaces at 338 Main
Street to Pearl Street, due to parking issues that vehicles are blocking driveways making
more parking spaces than there actually are.

16. C0014-12 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
That a Representative from Cataldo Ambulance appear at the next Public Safety
Committee meeting to explain their response to a town that they are not contracted with,
and if there is a charge to individual or citizen in reference to mutual aid and also the
city.

17. C0015-12 Resolution/s/Councilor Jason Marcus
To suspend the rules and see if the Mayor would appear this meeting to discuss
declaring the month of March "Can Food Drive Month" and boxes be placed at
Recreation Center, City Hall, Police Station, Fire Stations and School Administration
Building. The cans can be picked up at end of the month and distributed to different
churches for the needy.

18. C0016-12 Resolution/s/Councilor Eloy Lou Sierra
That the Traffic Commission place no parking sign on Woodlawn Street, at corner of
Woodlawn and Nichols Streets, where the hospital signs are due to numerous
confrontations between motorists and crossing guard.

19. C0017-12 Resolution/s/Councilor Catherine Tomassi Hicks
That Code Enforcement/Engineering investigate the unknown odor seeping into homes
on Henderson Street and report back findings next meeting February 6th.

20. C0021-12 Common Council Worksheet
Tuesday, January 17, 2012
Pursuant to Rule 17 of the Common Council, all resolutions requesting the repair,
replacement or maintenance of pavement, sidewalks, traffic signals, signage,
playground equipment, or other similar requests, shall be placed on a separate
worksheet and voted on collectively at the next formal session, and, if passed, referred
to the respective departments for their response back to sponsors, if required.
Sponsor: Councilor John Leo McKinnon-To fix the elderly crossing signs at 381 Ferry
Street, as they were knocked around and crooked. Referred to: City Services Sign
Division

2. Sponsor: Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano-To place a stop sign at the top end of
Windsor Street (near Windsor and Sammet Street.) Referred to: Traffic Commission

3. Sponsor: Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano-To place a no parking sign here to corner on
Windsor Street near the Sammet Street corner. Referred to: Traffic Commission and
Sign Division.

Adjournment
Respectfully submitted: C. McCorry, Admin. Everett City Council Office council@ci.everett.ma.us
Reminders:
1-18-12 6PM Committee on Bills & Accounts Meeting
1-23-12 6:30PM Committee on Licenses Meeting
1-23-12 7PM Board of Aldermen Meeting
2-6-12 7PM Next Common Council Meeting
You must be logged in to see this link.
Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Monday, January 16, 2012
Go to Top of Page

card

117 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  11:49:52 AM  Show Profile Send card a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Bill Number: SC001-12
Bill Type: Communication
January 24, 2012

Honorable City Council
484 Broadway
Everett, MA 02149

Ladies and Gentlemen:
In accordance with the provisions of Section 14 of
the Everett City Charter, I hereby call a Special
Meeting of the Common Council to be held as
follows:

Date: Monday, January 30, 2012
Time: 6:00 p.m.
Place: Peter J. McCarren Memorial Chambers,
City Hall,
Everett, Massachusetts 02149

Subject: A0052-12 Order/s/Alderman Joseph W.
McGonagle, as President: To transfer $1.5 Million
Dollars ($1,500,000.00) from the Budgetary Fund
Balance to the School Department Instructional
Salaries Account to cover unanticipated costs in
the School Department. (1-23-12 In the Board of
Aldermen: Passed, reconsideration failed, sent
down for concurrence.)

Respectfully submitted,
Carlo DeMaria, Jr., Mayor

Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  1:21:15 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diane

One more step to take

January 24, 2012
Honorable City Council
484 Broadway
Everett, MA 02149
Ladies and Gentlemen:
In accordance with the provisions of Section 14 of
the Everett City Charter, I hereby call a Special
Meeting of the Common Council to be held as
follows:
Date: Monday, January 30, 2012
Time: 6:00 p.m.
Place: Peter J. McCarren Memorial Chambers,
City Hall,
Everett, Massachusetts 02149
Subject: A0052-12 Order/s/Alderman Joseph W.
McGonagle, as President: To transfer $1.5 Million
Dollars ($1,500,000.00) from the Budgetary Fund
Balance to the School Department Instructional
Salaries Account to cover unanticipated costs in
the School Department. (1-23-12 In the Board of
Aldermen: Passed, reconsideration failed, sent
down for concurrence.)
Respectfully submitted,
Carlo DeMaria, Jr., Mayor
cc: Mr. Michael Matarazzo, City Clerk
Caroline McCorry, City Council Office
Posted in accordance with the provisions of
M.G.L., Chapter 39, Section 23A, B, C on
Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 8:53 a.m.
Attest: Michael Matarazzo, City Clerk.
Bill Summary: Special Common Council Meeting,
Monday, January 30th at 6:00PM in the Council
Chambers, City Hall
RE: A0052-12 (Transfer of $1.5 Million Dollars)
Copy sent to:
Mayor Comm Develop
Council Disability
Assessors Engineering
Auditor ECTV
Bd. of Appeals Fire Dept
Budget Health
Building Housing Auth
City Clerk Human Service
Archives Libraries
Reg of Voters Parking Clerk
Solicitor Police Dept
City Services Purchasing
Cemetery Recreation
Highway School Dept
Parks Traffic Comm
Sign Treas/Collect
Water Veterans
Wire Other(s):
Code Enforce
By:
City Clerk
PRESENTED FOR APPROVAL
DATE City Clerk
Approval Date
Mayor
IN THE
BOARD OF
ALDERMEN
NO ACTIONS
IN THE
COMMON
COUNCIL
NO ACTIONS

Maybe it's me, but if it was passed by the aldermen... then what next step is there to take? If it's procedure, then it's just a vote. All the other stuff can be worked out afterwards.

The problems concerning the shortfall stem from the state. Right now, the irrelevant questions and finger pointing serves no purpose. We all know it's not the city (so calm down Carlo) If people are so concerned then it's the Senator you should be contacting and asking him what he's doing about it. As stated previously by Tetris, this is just a bandaid, and if changes are not made on a State level, there will be a repeat.

It's the State that needs to stop inconveniencing cities and towns with their dumb mandates that drain the budget. That's something the Senator and State Rep should be working on.....not the city council. That's great that the Senator is trying to secure funds, but he should also try to make changes on a state level so the funding is secure in the future. My opinion... most important is the busing. One compromise would be - bus those students for the calendar year ONLY.... not years and years of free busing on Everett's dime just because a child lived here when they were 5..... and now we pay to bus them until age 18. That's crazy. ONE calendar year and then enroll in school where they live. That's it. I've also heard that other cities do not offer Special Ed like Everett does. That's ludicrous. Now...that's something that "should" be a state mandate.... that ALL cities and towns offer Special Ed in their public schools.

From the words of one of my comrades (although we disagree here) ENOUGH IS TOO MUCH.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  4:39:10 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tails,

I believe that the "busing" mandate is a Federal requirement. Interesting editorial in the Leader Herald today about mandates, BTW.

I have not commented on Monday's "festivities" until now because I was only recently able to watch the part of Monday night's meetings that I missed. (6 PM meetings are very inconvienent for some of us) My comments would have been a little different without seeing the whole thing, i.e., I didn't really understand where Mr. Ela's "Constitution" remarks at the end of his presentation until I saw the whole thing. They made more sense once I saw the whole thing but I still think they were over the top.

It's good to know that the state recognizes the flaw in setting a school district's foundation budget in regards to enrollment; but, it's sad to hear that they haven't bothered to fund the account that is intended to take care of the issue.

It is also good to know that the state contributes something to the pre-school program but I still really would have liked to have seen a full presentation of how all aspects of the school budget are funded.

As far as the average per pupil expenditure used to show a $3.5 million deficit goes, that number is usually nothing more than the amount of the school budget divided by the number of students. It is whatever it; it is not a fixed amount.

As far as the School Department having to add 53 new positions, my question is why was it such a surprise to them? One could reasonably assume that the regulations for this type of staffing are available and the School Department should have been on top of them. If they don't keep of top of their staffing requirements, how can they ever develop a realistic budget?

I thought Councilor McLaughlin made a good point about the timing of this issue. I should; it's the same point I've posted in one of these threads. However, he was overmatched going up against the Superintendent. The issues of why the transfer was necessary could have brought to the City Council earlier so that they could be fully discussed and questioned. The exact amount and timing of the transfer could have been a separate issue.

I find it humorous that, in the past, the School Department would dig in their heels and not allow for any modification of the Medicare Reimbursement agreement with the city that would be to their disadvantage. But now, they just want to ignore it.

Overall, the outcome of this issue was about what I expected it to be, and this case, I feel that it was probably the right decision. I did think that one or two aldermen might have voted against it; but I not totally surprised that the vote turned out the way that it did. A band-aid for sure but one that was sorely needed. If a similiar request is made in a year though, I'm not sure that I'd feel the same way.

The biggest problem with the School Department's budget going forward that I see is that the money used to supplement their foundation budget (grants, medicare reimbursements) is drying up. The answer that I thought I heard to that problem was the city needed to step up and do more for the School Department. Sad to say, I just don't see how that is possible on a regular basis. Even the state recognizes that the city doesn't have that capability, that's why they fund the School's Department budget to the extent that they do. Let's hope that some other permamnent solution can be found.

Edited by - tetris on 01/26/2012 4:40:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  07:10:23 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A link but no agenda.
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  08:12:51 AM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote

AGENDA
AGENDA
AGENDA
AGENDA
AGENDA

REGULAR MEETING OF THE EVERETT COMMON COUNCIL, MONDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 2012, 7:00 PM, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, THIRD FLOOR, EVERETT, MASSACHUSETTS 02149

PUBLIC HEARINGS

C0032-12  
Public Participation and Comment
Joint Rule of the Everett City Council that each meeting of the City Council shall allow up to ten (10) minutes for public participation prior to the commencement of the reading of "Communications from His Honor The Mayor".

COMMUNICATIONS FROM HIS HONOR THE MAYOR

C0029-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
This order is a home rule petition to the State Legislature to allow the City of Everett to draft an ordinance creating a Department of Finance and the position of the Chief Financial Officer; necessitated to orchestrate all the City's financial planning, budgeting and accounting under one umbrella.

C0030-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
To accept a donation of $25.00 from Debbie Hartman McCulley to the City of Everett's Office of Human Services Emergency Services Account.

C0031-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
To accept a donation of $665.00 from Bond Brothers to the City of Everett's Office of Human Services Emergency Services Account.

PAPERS FROM THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN

A0006-12 Order/s/Aldermen Michael K. Marchese and Salvatore F. Sacchetta - Favorable response from Veteran's Director to dedicate a square in honor of The D'Agostino Family, namely, William, Joseph and Al, at a location to be determined. In accordance with the provisions of Chapter 17, Section 17.1 (b) of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett. Location to be determined. (Passed sent down for concurrence).

A0026-12 Order/s/Alderman Joseph W. McGonagle, as President
To petition the Great and General Court for an Act regulating the issuance of second hand motor vehicle licenses to forty (40) in the City of Everett. (Passed sent down for concurrence.)

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

C0008-12 Resolution/s/Councilor Rosa DiFlorio
To suspend the rules and invite the City Assessor to appear this meeting to explain resident owner occupied information and the tax bills.

C0017-12 Resolution/s/Councilor Catherine Tomassi Hicks
That Code Enforcement/Engineering investigate the unknown odor seeping into homes on Henderson Street and report back findings next meeting February 6th.

NEW BUSINESS

C0022-12 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
To invite City Services Director and City Engineer to next meeting relative to explaining process for requesting that the black painted cement poles be placed in front of 66 Lynn Street to keep cars from sliding into the house.

C0023-12 Resolution/s/Councilor Wayne A. Matewsky
That a Representative from National Grid appear next meeting relative to discussing long waits for double pole removals, and also their policy on fixing street lights in the City of Everett.

C0024-12 Resolution/s/Councilor Michael J. McLaughlin
That Mr. John Field, Head of ISD, appear next meeting of the Common Council to update us on the illegal rooming houses that they have found in the City.

C0025-12 Resolution/s/Councilor Michael J. McLaughlin
That the Dog Officer appear next meeting to give an update on the pit bulls, and how many tickets they have given out in the last year, and also if there has been any reports of issues with these dogs.

C0026-12 Resolution/s/Councilor Michael J. McLaughlin
To invite Senator Sal DiDomenico to appear next meeting to give us an update on the million dollars he is working on for the City of Everett.

C0027-12 Resolution/s/Councilor Michael J. McLaughlin
To request that the School Department to appear before the Common Council at that first meeting in April to tell us how their budget is going and what they will do different next year so they do not have to come to us for free cash transfers.

C0028-12 Resolution/s/Councilor Jason Marcus
That the City Council of the City of Everett is opposed to any fare increases by the M.B.T.A.

C0033-12 Common Council Worksheet
Pursuant to Rule 17 of the Common Council, all resolutions requesting the repair, replacement or maintenance of pavement, sidewalks, traffic signals, signage, playground equipment, or other similar requests, shall be placed on a separate worksheet and voted on collectively at the next formal session, and, if passed, referred to the respective departments for their response back to sponsors, if required.
1. Sponsor: Councilor John Leo McKinnon: That all signs in the City of Everett, if worn out and cannot be read, be replaced, and also, missing signs, such as no parking here to corner signs and parking violation signs, and signs in general be replaced due to increased number of complaints, as well as, dropped hearings due to lack of signage and legible signage.
Referred to: Traffic Commission, City Services and Sign Division.

2. Sponsor: Councilor Jason Marcus-To have the dead tree removed in front of 161 Garland Street.
Referred to: City Services Park Division
Adjournment                                                                           You must be logged in to see this link.

Respectfully submitted: C. McCorry, Admin. Everett City Council Office council@ci.everett.ma.us
Reminders: 2-13 6PM License Committee Meeting, 2-13 7PM Board of Aldermen Meeting, 2-15 6PM, Bills & Accounts Committee Meeting, 2-15 6PM R & O Committee Meeting, 2-21 7PM Common Council Meeting, 2-22 6PM R & O Committee Meeting, 2-27 7PM Board of Aldermen

Go to Top of Page

sweetdeal2007

29 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  11:40:25 AM  Show Profile Send sweetdeal2007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could this be a job for Dominic Puleo.

C0029-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President

This order is a home rule petition to the State Legislature to allow the City of Everett to draft an ordinance creating a Department of Finance and the position of the Chief Financial Officer; necessitated to orchestrate all the City's financial planning, budgeting and accounting under one umbrella.

Go to Top of Page

Baby Huey

95 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  2:36:49 PM  Show Profile Send Baby Huey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I highly doubt it.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  2:53:47 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the route they want to go is with a Chief Financial Officer, then other financial positions need to be cut. You have to merge other duties to the CFO. I hate to hurt anyone, but you cant keep all the positions you have, and just add a CFO. I'd like to know what the CFO will be responsible for, i.e. budget, treasury. We've heard the mayor say before that the budget director is not a full time position.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  09:36:53 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After listening to the mayor's explanation, my understanding is, additional duties will be added to a department head. He listed five different department heads, Auditor, Treasurer, Assessor, Procurement Officer and Budget Director and said that the change would take place with one of them. Does that mean one of those department heads will be leaving and a new person brought on board or will they just be expanding the duties of an existing department head? I don't think that was very clear. If I understood the mayor correctly, that department head's salary will increase from about $80K to $110K. (it also sounded like Marcus was trying to make points looking for an increase in the mayors salary)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2