Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Announcements
 2012 Common Council
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  10:12:30 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't we go through this before with the "consolidations" and it did not work? No one asking that question was pretty appalling to me, and yet another perfect example of rubber stamping. I'm not referring to creating a CFO, but the consolidation of positions. The explanation that was given other than........... this is what "I' want....was horrible............. and blaming an election because it failed last year was just crybaby-itis.

It's still not clear what this fat salary is going to consist of. There must be a plan in place so what is it...because I did not hear it. I heard a lot of coulda woulda shoulda's.

How many positions are currently in the finance team and are all 80K+

Purchasing Director
Treasurer
Assessor
Auditor
Budget Director
Personnel Director
etc.

How many of these positions have assistants? We have high taxes, water rates going up...how much more can the taxpayers take? The mayor does these things at the worst time.

I have to say that was the worst set up I've ever seen about giving the mayor a raise. Thanks for the laugh Jason! Those theatrics were horrible and both better stay out of acting.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  11:17:54 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that it changes anything but the auditor position has been open for awhile. Larry Decoste (I think that was his name) retired & wasn't replaced.

The Budget director is part time but at one time it was full time. That change took place since Carlo became mayor. I don't know when or why.

Why is the Personnel Director part of the finance team?

Personally, I think having a CFO could be good. BUT............ only if we don't end up with another unqualified hack & there is an adjustment to titles & salaries of the department heads/directors who will then have fewer responsibilities & duties.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  1:04:43 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by justme

Not that it changes anything but the auditor position has been open for awhile. Larry Decoste (I think that was his name) retired & wasn't replaced.

The Budget director is part time but at one time it was full time. That change took place since Carlo became mayor. I don't know when or why.

Why is the Personnel Director part of the finance team?

Personally, I think having a CFO could be good. BUT............ only if we don't end up with another unqualified hack & there is an adjustment to titles & salaries of the department heads/directors who will then have fewer responsibilities & duties.

Sorry...that was a typo. I was actually thinking about the "consolidation" when the City Solicitor was supposed to also be the Personnel Director.... that never came to fruition.

She got the increase for it, with no adjustment and the elected officials did not say boo. As much I was not for the Charter, I'm not going to be sad seeing that branch go. I agree about the CFO, but so far from what I've seen, not much planning going into this and nothing drafted saying .......... X & X is what we are planning on consolidating. It's just more of - pass it, it's what I want....and no one DARE send it to committee. My goodness, what an attitude about it. It could very well be another Clayton Carlisle flop.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  2:40:37 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(6pm Special Board of Aldermen Meeting)

AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA

REGULAR MEETING OF THE EVERETT COMMON COUNCIL, TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 21, 2012, 7:00 PM, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, THIRD FLOOR, EVERETT, MASSACHUSETTS 02149

PUBLIC HEARINGS

1. C0035-12
In accordance with Joint Rules of the City Council, that each meeting of the City Council shall allow up to ten (10) minutes for public participation and comment prior to commencement of the reading of communications from the mayor.

COMMUNICATIONS FROM HIS HONOR THE MAYOR

2. C0036-12 Order/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano, as President
To accept donations totaling $50.00 to the City of Everett's Office of Human Services - Emergency Services Account as follows: $25.00 from Denise Hanlon, and $25.00 from Karen Ficociello.

PAPERS FROM THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN

3. A0071-12 Order/s/Alderman Joseph W. McGonagle, as President
To accept the donation of listed and described furniture from Boston Coach to the City of Everett. (Passed sent down for concurrence)

4. A0063-12 Resolution/s/Aldermen Robert Van Campen and Michael Marchese, Councilors Rosemary Miller, Rosa DiFlorio and Michael McLaughlin
That there be established a task force to study recent population increases in the Everett School Department and to identify solutions to slow this increase. Said task force shall consist of a designee of the Mayor, a designee of the Superintendent of Schools, two designees of the Board of Aldermen, two designees of the Common Council and two designees of the School Committee. (Passed sent down for concurrence to send to Mayor, School Committee and Superintendent of Schools.)

5. A0064-12 Resolution/s/Aldermen Robert Van Campen, Michael Marchese and Sal Sachetta
That the City Council be provided with quarterly burn rates at the beginning of each quarter of the Fiscal Year for all departments in the City of Everett, to include the Everett Public Schools. (Passed sent down for concurrence to send to His Honor The Mayor.)

COMMITTEE REPORTS

6. C0020-12
Committee on Rules & Ordinances Report on Ordinance sponsored by Councilor Daniel Napolitano, as President: To amend Chapter 17, Section 17-6 "Obstruction in streets and gutters." by adding new paragraph "(b) 1. A-frame signs and other signs for advertising purposes shall not be allowed on public property without a permit from the Board of Public Works. Permits shall be applicable for ten (10) days and an individual shall be allowed only three (3) permits per calendar year."; with a recommendation to refer back to Sponsor.

7. C0010-12
Committee on Rules & Ordinances Report on Ordinance offered by Councilors Dan Napolitano and Dave Rodrigues-That the Ordinances of the City of Everett be hereby amended or drafted, as necessary, to require the disclosure of all accounts payable and payroll of the City of Everett, making all information accessible on the City website; with a recommendation to refer to the Mayor to study costs and that they report back their findings in 60 days to the City Council.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

8. C0013-12 Resolution/s/Councilors Cynthia Sarnie, Michael McLaughlin and Alderman Sal Sachetta
City Engineer look into painting lines on street for valid parking spaces at 338 Main Street to Pearl Street, due to parking issues that vehicles are blocking driveways making more parking spaces than there actually are.

9. C0025-12 Resolution/s/Councilor Michael J. McLaughlin
That the Dog Officer appear next meeting to give an update on the vicious dogs, and how many tickets they have given out in the last year, and also if there has been any reports of issues with these dogs. (2/6 Referred to Dog Officer and Police Chief to appear this meeting 2/21)

NEW BUSINESS

10. C0034-12 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
To invite City Services Commission to appear next meeting to discuss longevity of all traffic and relative signage throughout the city.

11. C0037-12 Order/s/Councilor Cynthia Sarnie
In accordance with the provisions of Chapter 17, Section 17.1 (b) of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, “Names & destinations; erection of signposts”, to dedicate a square in honor of Nicholas and Thomas Meleones, at the corner of Main Street and Forest Ave, as both brothers served in WWII.

12. C0038-12 Resolution/s/Councilors Cynthia Sarnie and Michael McLaughlin
That Mayor or his Chief of Staff, and a representative from the MBTA, appear next meeting of the Common Council relative to discussing and answering questions regarding the MBTA situation in Everett.

13. C0039-12 Resolution/s/Councilor Jason Marcus
To request that the Police Station, Fire Station, City Hall and Libraries please put out boxes starting March 1st for the Canned Food Drive, and if there are any questions kindly call me, Councilor Jason Marcus at 617-381-6327. Thanks to all for your participation.

14. C0040-12 Resolution/s/Councilors Richard DellIsola and David Rodrigues
That the City make every effort, as soon as possible, to improve and add additional lighting in the parking lot at the ice skating rink on Elm Street.

15. C0041-12 Resolution/s/Councilor Rosa DiFlorio
To request that Mayor DeMaria call a Joint Convention and invite City Solicitor and the City Clerk to attend to discuss the new city charter, relative to the occurrence of its validity and effectiveness.

16. C0042-12 Resolution/s/Councilors Rosa DiFlorio, Cynthia Sarnie, Michael McLaughlin, Leo McKinnon, Aldermen Robert Van Campen and Michael Marchese
That the City Solicitor appear at the next Committee on Rules & Ordinances meeting to help us write three ordinances on residency for teachers, city workers and department heads.

17. C0043-12 Resolution/s/Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano
To invite the Mayor's Office to appear at the next Public Service committee meeting to explain the Mayor's new trash proposal.

18. C0044-12
Common Council Worksheet
Tuesday, February 21, 2012
Pursuant to Rule 17 of the Common Council, all resolutions requesting the repair, replacement or maintenance of pavement, sidewalks, traffic signals, signage, playground equipment, or other similar requests, shall be placed on a separate worksheet and voted on collectively at the next formal session, and, if passed, referred to the respective departments for their response back to sponsors, if required.

1. Sponsor: Councilor Jason Marcus-To repair the sidewalk in front of 114 Chestnut Street.
Referred to: Mr. Peter Pietrantonio, Director of City Services

Adjournment

Reminders:
2/11 6PM Committee on Public Safety Meeting
2/27 7PM Board of Aldermen Meeting
2/29 6PM Committee on Rules & Ordinances
3/5 7PM Next Common Council Meeting

Respectfully submitted:

C. McCorry, Admin. Everett City Council Office
council@ci.everett.ma.us

You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - tetris on 02/16/2012 2:50:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

kittycat

66 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  4:33:24 PM  Show Profile Send kittycat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
anybody have the agenda if so can you post thanks
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  12:37:01 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't understand why tonight's agenda is not posted yet. History tells me that when something is on the calendar that the administration wants to sneak through at the last minute, and without prior knowledge to people....is the only times the agendas do not get posted on a timely manner.

The only thing I can think of...is replacing Adam Ragucci and stacking the deck with Puleo. What a DISGRACE if that happens especially without having a definitive answer on the charter.
Go to Top of Page

sweetdeal2007

29 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  1:26:44 PM  Show Profile Send sweetdeal2007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
they are hiding the fact that puelo will be appointed to the vacated cc seat just read facebook and you can all figure it out
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  1:29:06 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to a post on Topix, that particular item is indeed on the agenda for tonight.

I think that, like it or not, or whether it makes sense to some of us or not, the city solicitor's ruling on that part of the Charter is likely to be final. Think of it like the time that Hanlon's city solicitor (sorry, I can never remember how to spell his last name) ruled on the budget impasse in favor of the then mayor. Almost nobody liked it; but, nobody did anything about it either. The difference between the two situations is though that Hanlon's budget blew up on its own; this situation can't blow up unless someone takes it to court or city government is forced to submit to overwhelming public pressure to "re-visit" the ruling. I just don't see the latter, in particular, happening because it seems that there are only a handful of us that even care about the issue.

I don't think that the administration has anything to do with the agenda not being posted though. I'm sure that the city clerk hasn't posted it because he's busy with the election coming up tomorrow. Not making any excuses for him though. Elections come up every so often and they're part of the job. But so is getting agendas posted in a timely fashion. There's no reason that someone else couldn't handle the posting of the agendas and other related legislative items to the city web site if the city clerk doesn't consistently have time to do so.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  2:11:45 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's funny that the agendas are never posted on time....and it's always when there's a controversial issue on it. Why would posting it online be the function of the clerk? We all know it takes under a minute to do. I would think it would be the PR/Communications person for the mayor... who really does not have a lot to do. He could at least take it over during election time.

I dont see the city solicitors ruling as final.... I have not heard from the state if a city/town can operate on two charters...and pick and chose which items on it to go by. People that vote him in are an absolute disgrace.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  3:02:45 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure that we can agree to disagree about certain things Tails; especially when agree on the really important ones. Disgrace? Good word. Where have I heard that one before? Hmmmm....

If everybody shows up tonight, I'd guess that the "worst" the vote will be is 12 - 5 for Puleo and then someone will request to make it unanimous.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  3:27:23 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tetris

I'm sure that we can agree to disagree about certain things Tails; especially when agree on the really important ones. Disgrace? Good word. Where have I heard that one before? Hmmmm....

If everybody shows up tonight, I'd guess that the "worst" the vote will be is 12 - 5 for Puleo and then someone will request to make it unanimous.

Ah yes, the infamous “disgrace” word. I heard it a lot in the past…

Of course we agree to disagree and I think it will go down exactly how you say. Those (potential) 12 will be remembered as a disgrace. We are under the new charter now (administrative codes, etc) with one exception... (the elections)… that obviously will not happen until November 2013. Just like when the voters voted this past November for Charter. It’s all or nothing.

I believe the solicitor is wrong. If you notice she stutters, she says ummm all the time (thinking about what to say) and she always specifically states it’s her “opinion” I don’t want her “opinion” because her opinions have been so idiotic…and takes WEEKS to come up with an “opinion”

GIVE ME A BREAK. I want an “official ruling”

I believe the rest of the charter is in place (to include city positions and appointing vacancies on the CC) and just elections are not, since they have not happened yet.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  4:31:24 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know we agreed to disagree Tails, but where do you expect an "official ruling" to come from? Again, to harken back to the Hanlon budget debacle, the state was totally reluctant to get involved and wanted the city to figure out its own issues by itself. I think that there is a real remedy for this situation, and maybe more importantly, other charter disagreements that could happen in the future; but, the real question is will we as citizens be willing to initiate them?

And just a minor correction (because, as you've probably figured out, I'm so damn anal!). It's really saying prettY much the same thing but I believe that the election changes will actually start to kick in with the pulling of papers for the 2013 election as I've heard that there were some minor changes to how the dates used for that part of the process are determined. And, of course, the offices that you can pull papers for will have changed.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  5:23:13 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tetris

I know we agreed to disagree Tails, but where do you expect an "official ruling" to come from? Again, to harken back to the Hanlon budget debacle, the state was totally reluctant to get involved and wanted the city to figure out its own issues by itself. I think that there is a real remedy for this situation, and maybe more importantly, other charter disagreements that could happen in the future; but, the real question is will we as citizens be willing to initiate them?

And just a minor correction (because, as you've probably figured out, I'm so damn anal!). It's really saying prettY much the same thing but I believe that the election changes will actually start to kick in with the pulling of papers for the 2013 election as I've heard that there were some minor changes to how the dates used for that part of the process are determined. And, of course, the offices that you can pull papers for will have changed.

Maybe the consultant that was paid 10 grand to cut and paste? He should know if you can go by two charters at the same time. Unless... he comes back for more money and just says what people want to hear.

Currently, as it was explained, we are going by two charters. Something doesn't sound right and there must be a state entity that can give an official ruling. I see this as different than a solicitor's opinion on an city budget.

This is whole new charter voted on by the taxpayers and sometimes we use it and sometimes we dont? Doesn't make sense to me at all and as always, JMHO.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  8:38:10 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The new prince's coronation was tonight. I'm so disappointed in the Common Council. Not that I'm surprised, just disappointed. I hope none of them run citywide in 2013. I won't vote for any damn one of them.

Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  8:42:26 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This week's version of agenda bingo.

Oh well, wrong again. Not really surprised though. But if Len LoRusso isn't going to fight for himself, why should anyone else? But what are they going to do now if someone in the know comes forward at the Public Service Meeting to contradict the city solicitor's opinion? Just my opinion, but I doubt that it will happen. The funny thing is that any of the councilors thinking about running the next time have just voted for someone who could be their next opponent. He will now have some experience in elected office, seems to be reasonably intelligent, already has experience running citywide and also has very big supporter in the Mayor.

When are the parking spaces in front of my house going to get painted?

Isn't it embarassing that people who have been on the council for a good period of time still don't understand exactly how the home owner exemption works?

Was it really necessary for Leo McKinnon to try to explain his questionable Public Service agenda item.....again?

Why can't Jason Marcus ever follow the rules? He would have been better off not speaking; until I read the actual organ donor law, it sounded worse than it actually is.

I guess that they really don't want us to participate in the process. They don't make sure that the agendas get posted on the city web site, they waive the reading of items and then get highly offended if someone asks for them to go back and read the item. ECTV needs to go back to running the agendas before the meetings again.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2