Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 State Representative and Senator
 Stat Smith
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  1:04:24 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are nuts if you think the mayor gives any thought at all to what goes on here...
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  1:59:17 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope you are correct. Of course we all know that the message boards have been brought up at a city council meetings. So, someone is paying attention.

"Peek-a-Boo, I see you"
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  3:08:00 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by just wondering

Good to know we have unbiased people in our moderator/administrator roles

The issue at hand has nothing to do about being biased or not, it’s about information out there that websites have been tracked down.

I am unbiased, but when I hear the same story from different people about tracking down websites and who posts on them, it makes you wonder. If these sites were tracked down, there is no one else that could have done it but someone in his position. I have stayed quiet about this, but no longer.

I’m told there is proof, and that these sites including the Citizens Site were tracked down using police software via a computer crime expert that helps track IP addresses to physical locations.

If that’s true…..that he does not give this a second thought……then there is nothing to worry about.

It angers me that the citizens of this city cannot even go to a public meeting and speak on anything without getting chastised by him concerning Wood Waste…concerning a City Manager….or whatever. So, sorry to doubt you, but I doubt very much that he does not give it a second thought and I stand by my previous comments. When I get hard core proof that our privacy was violated, I will pursue legal action.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  12:13:37 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what Savvis Communications Company is and what it has to do with the City of Everett?

"Peek-a-Boo, I see you"
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  12:25:41 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, I spoke to someone tonight about this issue and I was advised to go to the Attorney Generals Office. I will be doing that tomorrow. I am not a happy camper and will be pursuing this to the fullest extent of the law. There are numerous civil violations here. Stay tuned...I will update as my attorney allows me.

"Peek-a-Boo, I see you"
Go to Top of Page

Paul

158 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  10:19:38 AM  Show Profile Send Paul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am no expert on this issue but who claims that he had this site or other sites tracked down ?

Getting someone's IPS only gives you that--the IPS.

I am pretty that someone would need a court order to find out who is posting and from what
computer.Anyone doing this would need cause to do so through the courts and/or police.

That is my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Paul

158 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  7:49:49 PM  Show Profile Send Paul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Massdee did you go to the Atty General's office ?

If so can you share what they told you ?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  7:56:17 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Paul, I've been advised not to say anything further on this subject.

"When the cats away the mice will play"
Go to Top of Page

Marie

114 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  9:45:03 PM  Show Profile Send Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bumped into an Alderman tonight and I told him what is going on about posters being traced. He told me he has no problem with bringing people from the MIS department up in front of the Board Of Alderman to be questioned on this subject. If I can get some information to confirm what is going on I will pass it on to the Alderman. So, anyone who knows anything, please pass it on to me. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  10:51:38 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's funny, I also saw an Alderman tonight, Michael Marchese, he pretty much told me the same thing. He said he has no problem in firing anyone who invades the privacy of the residents of the City of Everett. I have a lot to think about.

"When the cats away the mice will play"
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  11:47:02 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read in Friday's Advocate that Dennis Gianatassio has taken out papers to run for our State Rep.

"Here comes the judge"
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  3:53:36 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Per the Advocate Facebook page:

Smith sentenced to four months in Federal Prison for ballot fraud

BOSTON - Tuesday, April 9, 2013 - Steven Stat Smith was sentenced to four months in Federal prison, one year supervised release, and ordered to pay $20,000 fine by Judge Leo Sorokin at the John Joseph Moakley Courthouse in Boston this afternoon. Smith was the former state representative for Everett who was the subject of an intensive two-year federal grand jury.
Sorokin order Smith, who pled guilty in January for absentee ballot fraud, to surrender to federal Marshals on May 21 to begging his four month incarceration.
See Friday's edition of the Everett Advocate for complete story.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  08:43:02 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
10 Apr 2013
The Boston Globe
By Milton J. Valencia GLOBE STAFF Milton J. Valencia can be reached at mvalencia@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @miltonvalencia.

Ex-official gets prison for election fraud

Everett legislator fined$20,000

‘I am very sorry. I hope and pray in time things will get better.’
STEPHEN SMITH Former state representative, apologizing to the court and to Everett at federal court in Boston

A former state representative from Everett was sentenced Tuesday in federal court in Boston to four months in prison for cheating the absentee ballot process in two elections in which he won.

Stephen Smith, 57, a married father of four, will also serve a year of probation and must pay a $20,000 fine. He was ordered to report to a prison, to be designated by the US Bureau of Prisons, by May 21.

US Magistrate Judge Leo T. Sorokin said in handing out the sentence that Smith had betrayed the trust of his constituents in Everett.

“Fair and honest elections are really the foundation of our society,” Sorokin said.

A stoic Smith apologized to the court and to Everett, looking back at his family members including his four children in the courtroom, some in tears.

“I am very sorry,” he said. “I hope and pray in time things will get better.”

A longtime public official, who was first elected to the House of Representatives in 2006, Smith resigned from his legislative post effective Jan. 1, when he would have begun a new term after winning an uncontested election in November. Under an agreement with prosecutors, he will not seek elected office for five years.

Smith had served on the Legislature’s Committee on Election Laws.

He pleaded guilty in December to two misdemeanor counts of deprivation of rights under color of law.

Assistant US Attorney Eugenia M. Carris described the scheme: In elections in 2009 and 2010, Smith or someone acting on his behalf cast fraudulent absentee ballots supporting his candidacy.

The ballots were in the names of people who were ineligible to vote in Everett or, in some cases, the ballots had been fraudulently cast in someone’s name without that person’s knowledge and with the signature being forged.

“This is a campaign strategy gone awry,” Carris said.

Smith had faced 18 to 24 months in prison under federal sentencing guidelines, though Carris had recommended that he serve six months and pay a $40,000 fine, a significant variance from the guidelines.

The prosecutor said the scale of his crime was far less severe than the typical definition of voter fraud: No money or threats were involved, and the concept was based on campaign strategies before Smith started to forge signatures.

Peter Horstmann, Smith’s lawyer, had asked that Smith serve only probation, calling his client a dedicated public servant who bent to the pressure of winning closely contested elections.

Smith would encourage people to cast absentee ballots, only to learn they never did. In Smith’s view, he was filling out ballots for them, Horstmann said.

But Carris responded that the crimes were more severe than portrayed and that Smith’s excuse that he felt pressure from the election was “a little akin to saying, ‘Mom, the test was hard, so I cheated.’ ”

Family and friends of Smith had written to Sorokin pleading for mercy, but others from Everett — most did not identify themselves, saying they feared retribution — wrote asking for a tough sentence.

“It’s a disgrace,” wrote one who signed the letter as a “disgusted Everett voter.”
Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2013 :  09:56:01 AM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
does anyone know if he went or was it just a smoke screen, nothing in the advocate of Friday thought they would of been all over it

The 57-year-old Smith was sentenced in federal court Tuesday. He was ordered to report to prison on May 21.

He was also ordered to pay a $20,000 fine.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2