Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 State Representative and Senator
 Stat Smith
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Head

111 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  11:47:05 AM  Show Profile Send Head a Private Message  Reply with Quote
things that make u go hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  12:27:14 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question: When do the Everett Independent and the Everett Advocate ever agree on anything?

Answer: When whoever is paying the freight tells them to.

I started a post two Fridays ago about that week's edition of the Advocate. I had so many issues with it, I found it hard to find a focus for the post and I ultimately gave up trying. One of the pieces that I had problem with was a commentary entitled "It's time for Smith to give up his seat on the school committee". Even though that was the title, the first two thirds of the commentary was another analysis of why Matewsky lost the election; the remainder of the commentary is reproduced below.

"In this regard, we urge Rep. Smith to listen to those (including some House colleagues) who are urging him to give up the school committee seat so that he can just concentrate on Beacon Hill. The time has come for him to end his feud with Supt. of Schools Fredrick F. Forestiere because there is too much at stake for the city. Everett needs full attention being paid to Beacon Hill and also to its schools. Trying to do both jobs isn't in the city's best interests. Splitting one's loyalties and efforts, solely for political revenge, is hurtful to the city and can't be tolerated any longer.

The city of Everett is confronted with some pretty serious issues that have some long-term consequences. We can ill afford to have the time and energy of our leaders wasted on "politics as usual.""

I opened up my copy of this week's Independent, turned to the editorial page and found an editorial entitled "Congrats to Rep. Smith". The first portion of the editorial was fairly complimentary to Smith and Matewsky. About a third or so of the way in though, the column to a turn to different but somewhat familiar position. That portion of it is reproduced below.

"What some of us really hope for, considering the financial challenges which lay ahead for the state and by association, for the cities and towns that rely upon the state, is that Stat ought to resign from the School Committee.

Rep. Smith needs to concentrate hard on delivering for Everett on Beacon Hill, rather than devolve into petty politics with the school department, the school superintendent, and others.

Smith's talents are needed on Beacon Hill in order to stave off what is expected to be a very bad year on the way.

The governor has already put into effect emergency measure which are certain to reduce state expenditures, and this will include disbursements to the cities and towns.

Smith may think's it's all well and good that he go head-to-head will School Department and School Committee people at time-consuming meetings but it isn't all well and good when the state is about to turn our lives upside down.

His place is on Beacon Hill."

First off, let's acknowledge that it takes more than one party to have a feud. Where are these people who are urging Smith to step down from the school committee? He's not the only member of the Legislature that holds a state and a local seat. Who are the members of the House in particular who are asking him in to step down from the school committee? As far as the local electorate goes, less than a year ago, Smith received more votes for his seat than any other school committee candidate. With 4,049 votes, he received 1,300+ votes more than the other two at-large members of the school committee. In the recent primary, which Matewsky attempted to partially turn into a referendum on Smith holding two positions, Smith won by a clear majority. Although it will probably not be easy, Representative Smith has shown, for far at least, that he is more than ready to face whatever challenges are thrown his way.

We all know where this is coming from and it couldn't be more obvious. It also probably didn't help that Monday night, Smith began to question the amount of money that the school department spends on newspaper advertising. This is an issue that is likely to continue at the next school committee meeting. Going after the goose that lays the golden egg is not likely to endear Smith to any of the local papers. Of course, that’s not anything that these bastions of journalistic integrity will be willing to acknowledge.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  10:34:05 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw this part of the rerun at the school committee meeting. The school department advertising went to finance. Does that mean the results will not be made public?
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  11:13:44 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hard to say. I think that sending it to finance was an attempt to keep it from the public or, at least, to slow it down. I think that Stat went along with it in an attempt to work within "their" system. I don't think that he'll let it die in committee though.

There is a standing item on the school committee agenda to approve the results of the finance commitee meeting. This usually takes place at the end of the regular meeting. I'd watch out for a small blow-up at that point in the next meeting. Just a guess but I think that Stat will try to bring it up at that point and get shot down. He will then be told that it needs to get put on the agenda of the next regular school committe meeting. That meeting will probably be held the night before the final election. Not sure if Stat will be there that night so who knows when they'll get to it.
Go to Top of Page

Fran

250 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  12:17:47 PM  Show Profile Send Fran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you see the front page picture on yesterday's Leader Herald? It was the one with Forresteire, Gallucio and Stat Smith at the Boy's & Girls Club with Joe O'Donnell. So Fred get's his friend Joe to make a donation to the Club because Anthony and Stat can't get funding out of the State for whatever reason. Now here's my issue. Stat rants about Fred and his self promotion in the press. Yet it's OK for Stat to ride Fred's coat tails and his O'Donnell to get his mug on the front page. If Fred is such a thief per your campaign video you shouldn't be taking pictures with him. Sorry Stat but I think you can't have it both ways.
Go to Top of Page

whynot

47 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  6:19:28 PM  Show Profile Send whynot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An Everett couple is seeking a restraining order against a state lawmaker.

A parking spot on a dead end street is at the heart of the dispute.

Michael and Sue Phillips say State Representative Stephen Smith barged into their house last week.

"He swung open the door, said I don't want you parking your car blocking my tenants. My car was parked in front of my house," said Sue Phillips. "He goes, if I ever catch that there, I'll tow it and I'll come after you and you know I can."

Asked what she thought that meant, Phillips said, "It meant like, he's a state rep."

Michael Phillips said, "He threatened my wife, he came into my house, and he was uninvited. Something has to be done."

Then Phillips went to Middlesex Superior Court to request a restraining order against Smith -- their former landlord who owns the building next door.

Speaking before a judge, Smith said he did nothing wrong.

He said he noticed the Phillips' car parked in a way that blocked his tenant in the adjacent building.

He said he rang the Phillips' doorbell, heard Sue Phillips say "come in" and then asked her to remind her husband not to park that way.

Sue Phillips said she is afraid of Smith.

Smith declined an interview with WBZ, saying he said all he has to say on the matter in court.

The judge hasn't decided if she'll grant the restraining order.

(© MMIX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  6:51:04 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't Michael Phillips just lose School Committee at Large seat to Stat Smith? It certainly seems like something doesn't smell right.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  5:36:10 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must be logged in to see this link.

Massachusetts Lawmaker Fights Hometown Paper
By MOLLY HAMILL
ShareThis

WOBURN, Mass. - A state lawmaker claims his hometown newspaper, the Everett Advocate, has "an agenda to destroy" him. State Rep. Stephen Smith, who also is on the Everett school board, says the Advocate defamed him in more than a dozen stories in the past year, accusing him of violent behavior and public drunkenness, and of making verbal attacks on firefighters and the mayor of Everett.
In a story published about a Sept. 11 memorial service, under the headline "About Heroes," Smith says the paper falsely reported that made an "offensive verbal attack on firefighters" and wrongfully quoted him as saying, "All you **** guys think you're **** heroes after 9/11!!!"
Smith says another story accused him of evicting a family from a building Smith owns because the father announced his candidacy for an at-large position on the Everett School Committee.
Smith says that story alleged that he evicted Michael Phillips and his family due to a fear of competition on the School Committee. Smith says he evicted him because Phillips was more than 6 months behind in his rent.
Smith, a Democrat, says the Advocate repeatedly failed to check the facts. In July 2009, it reported, "One pol. spotted him [Smith] one day leaving The Derby seemingly staggering across the street where he was heading to his domicile on Clarence St."
Smith claims that a person or people have "fed fabricated materials to the Everett Advocate for political gain," and that "Smith has never been contacted to confirm the veracity of this reporting nor has any credible source or percipient witness been contacted."
Smith says a defamatory story in November claimed, "Smith verbally attacked Mayor Carlo DeMaria over a public school landscaping project" and "had to be restrained by his entourage."
Smith says that did he not have to be restrained, during a conversation he characterized as "entirely civil."
Smith sued the newspaper, its publisher, James David Mitchell, and John Doe reporters. He seeks damages for defamation, libel and negligent infliction of emotional distress. He also demands retractions, on the front page.
Smith is represented by David Rich with Todd & Weld of Boston.

"When is the circus leaving town?"
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  9:20:12 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this might have the potential to get very nasty.

Go to Top of Page

card

117 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  9:28:52 PM  Show Profile Send card a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well dont you work for stat smith and joe mcgongale police do you have your name and address carlo had the police take all the information inputted in this site and the other site and we know who you all are like tails, tetris, hallowed dreams, and espicially you D
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  9:43:41 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to disappoint you but never "worked" for Smith. I have helped on Mcgonagle's campaigns. That has never been a secret.

Are you saying the mayor ordered the EPD to use taxpayers money to find out who people are that post on the message boards? Hmmmm......interesting. Of course, I heard about that months ago.

Just Wondering, is that even legal?

Edited by - massdee on 02/02/2010 9:50:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  10:58:24 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by card

well dont you work for stat smith and joe mcgongale police do you have your name and address carlo had the police take all the information inputted in this site and the other site and we know who you all are like tails, tetris, hallowed dreams, and espicially you D

I am curious. Does anyone think this could be considered a threat?

"Peek-a-Boo, I see you"
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  12:27:40 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My comment to this is, so what? Sounds to me like someone has too much time on their hands.

I heard the same thing from many other people too. If that’s true, which I’m leaning towards it is, then shame on him and shame on the people that let him get away with it. When I get my hands on documentation stating that as fact, I will peruse legal action on him personally and for abuse of power and violating our privacy.

I’m not afraid of Carlo. He is all bark and NO bite. He’s just like one of those little puppies that goes over to the big dogs and barks…and once the big dog barks back, he runs away like a scared chicken.
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  12:44:02 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to know we have unbiased people in our moderator/administrator roles
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  12:54:35 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to know we have a mayor violating people's privacy, and using tax dollars to do it. I wonder if this could be an AG issue? What do you think?

"Peek-a-Boo, I see you"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.35 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2