Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 Local Election
 School Committee
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  7:09:03 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just went to look at the school department web site to check for email addresses for the members of the school committee. The site has not been updated since the last election and there is no contact information for the school committee members. Does anyone know if there is some where else to look?

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  9:07:33 PM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if anyone gets a chance check out the arguments between fff and smith and see how fff handles it along with mclaughlin they shut smith up GO GET THEM STAT
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  9:18:45 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just received a call from someone about this. What happened? I wasn't watching. I'm going to have to try and catch the tape.
Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  9:21:42 PM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i came in late but from what i got its about mcas test and stat listening to talk radio saying everett was on of the lowest score for mcas testing so now there is this big presention being done.. but stat gets some zings in
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  9:37:08 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am watching now and Stat does not look very happy.

Did I just hear FFF say Stat is strange?

There was just a lot of raised voices, and I think I heard Stat say to FFF, why don't you tell the public what your criminal offender record is. I don't know if he was talking about FFF or school employees.

Edited by - massdee on 05/05/2008 10:06:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  10:27:30 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I turned to this a few times during the CC meeting. The first time, FFF seemed to be pretty hot and bothered. Stat wanted to go back after him but McLaughlin stopped him. The second time I turned it, the broadcast had actually gone to black. Not sure what that was about. The third time, they were on the usual "request to use facilities" items. Will have to catch a replay but just couldn't tonight after the CC meeting.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  10:38:06 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The screen went black because they went into a recess because Freddy and Stat were screaming at each other. At the end of the meeting Lester told them he will not put up with this from either of them (I'm paraphrasing) and if it doesn't stop he would hand in his resignation tonight.

Stat also said that he is going to put the school department leadership on the next agenda. That is what got FFF going and then the yelling began.

Edited by - massdee on 05/05/2008 10:47:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  10:51:01 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It had to happen sooner or later. Talk about must see TV.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  10:53:54 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised it took this long.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  11:06:33 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
McLaughlin has been trying really hard to control it. He done a pretty good job of attempting to be somewhat impartial in this effort. Whether that is real or not could be debated but I've always thought he, at least, appears to have some good traits.

Edited by - tetris on 05/05/2008 11:40:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  08:45:34 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It took Stat Smith to be gone for me to realize he is missed on the BOA. I never realized until after he was gone. I'm sorry about that. They need him back on the city council. He was one of the only ones with a backbone.

I did not see the school committee meeting however, I will try and watch it and if Stat was fighting for something he believes in, then go Stat!
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  09:19:54 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't see the entire meeting, I tuned in during a presentation on the MCAS and SAT scores. From what I was told, there was another outburst previous to the ones I saw.

Mr Mc Laughlin was trying very hard to keep control of the meeting. He wanted to continue with the agenda but FFF insisted on replying to Stat. If FFF had not responded, like Mc Laughlin wanted, things wouldn't have gotten so out of hand. The last yelling match began because, they wouldn't let Stat respond back to FFF.

It kind of reminded me of the days of Ron Vacca. (for us old timers) I am sure the School Committee TV ratings will be going up.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  10:02:18 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got a chance to watch a little of the meeting. At the very beginning, Mr McLaughlin tried to lay down the law but FFF and Stat went at it before the presentation even began. The chairman tried very hard to be fair but he was in a no-win situation. Stat certainly knows how to choose his words to provoke a response.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  11:09:01 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally got a chance to watch the rest of last night's school committee meeting. Wow!! Probably the biggest blow-up at a city meeting that I can recall in my time watching them on cable TV. And after last summer's antics, I think that is saying something. Sorry, FFF; it was a side show and you certainly had your part in it but so did Stat. The person that surprised me the most though was Mr. Parker; he really lost it just before the recess. And I'll reiterate my praise of Mr. McLaughlin; he handled the situation as well as could be expected, showing very little bias. Of course, most of us would believe that he may be somewhat biased towards the administration but he gave to them as hard as he gave it to Stat.

The tactic that has been used to to keep in Stat in check so far has been to bury him with parlimentary procedure. They've keep the subject matter very narrow and won't let anyone speak outside of it. Can't really complain about that since we are usually begging the presidents of the City Council branches to keep their members on track. Stat just needs to learn how to play that game.

I think Stat has a very uphill battle ahead of him though. As we saw in that meeting, he's up against an army of people. He's really going to have bring more than just his thoughts and feelings to the table if he thinks he is going to affect any real change. He's going to need to find his "A" game. One thing that I agree with Stat on is that it's not just about money; if it were, Cambridge, that spends more than twice as much as Everett does per pupil, wouldn't have a graduation rate that is only 7.5% better than Everett's.

This meeting seems to be getting some extra replays on ECTV 15. I'm not sure why; it's not anything that I'd be proud of. The moments before the recess were just plain ugly. You can clearly make out what FFF was saying; I couldn't make out what Stat was saying, but I'd guess than it could have been just as derogatory.

There are only two or three more school committee meetings left until their summer break. I think that we'll need to keep a closer eye on them than usual.
Go to Top of Page

OuttaHere

58 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  07:45:20 AM  Show Profile Send OuttaHere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
now THAT was Entertainment!....Help...couldn't make out what the Villian of Vine Street was blathering about what Smith won't "release" before he was given the hook! Traslation phuleze!
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  09:07:04 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to make a correction, I missed posted an exchange between FFF and Stat. It was not Stat who said that, it was FFF saying it to Stat. The following is the incorrect statement.

There was just a lot of raised voices, and I think I heard Stat say to FFF, why don't you tell the public what your criminal offender record is.

Edited by - massdee on 05/07/2008 10:17:29 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2