Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Wood Waste
 Wood Waste
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  8:14:53 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This does not mean a lot but it’s funny that Billy Thibeault and his Attorney, Tony Rossi both donated to Frank Nuzzo $500.00. I know people donate to campaigns all the time but why Nuzzo? Would it be because he is the Ward 1 councilor where Wood Waste currently resides and if he is getting the Rec Center Director position, what’s the delay? We wouldn’t be waiting for a Wood Waste vote, would we?
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  3:14:48 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Published: June 16, 2008 03:50 am

Newburyport: Council to again discuss landfill, possible lawsuit
By Stephen Tait
Staff Writer

The City Council scheduled another special meeting this week to continue its strategy for dealing with the embattled Crow Lane Landfill.

Mayor John Moak and James Shanley, the council president, said the meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. Wednesday at City Hall. Much of the meeting, the men said, will be in executive session for councilors to meet with city solicitor Mark Rich about a potential lawsuit stemming from the landfill, which is owned by New Ventures.

"We plan to discuss our strategy as regards to litigation," Shanley said.

The landfill is the center of a debate that has raged for nearly a half decade with most problems stemming from the decomposing gypsum there that creates smells of rotten eggs and burnt matches. Those smells and problems with New Ventures officials have caused problems for the neighbors and city officials resulting in numerous fines.

Most recently, New Ventures has put forth a proposal to increase the amount of volume at the site in hopes of capping and closing the dump by the end of the year. That proposal has been met with overwhelming disapproval from neighbors and officials.

But if the city does not accept the proposal, it faces the potential of a lawsuit and, in turn, the potential of massive legal bills.

It is unclear when the City Council, which must accept the proposal, will vote on the matter.

Wednesday's meeting will also include a public hearing aspect in which residents will get the opportunity to speak against or in favor of the proposal. Shanley said the meeting is designed to allow the council to move closer to a vote.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  3:20:37 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I spoke with an elected official today that told me Thibeault will never build anything nice on lower Broadway that all the people there cant stand him and he's going to stick it to them. You watch and see and when it happens there's only ONE person to blame for this mess and he currently resides in the corner office, for now.
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  7:46:56 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
clarification on Tails post....Tails spoke to an elected official who had the opinion: Thibeault will never build anything nice on lower broadway

I spoke to a few elected officials today who had the opinion: Thiebault will definitely build something nice on lower broadway
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  8:10:45 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe we will see many on the city council on both sides of this fence.
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  8:32:39 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
massdee....Im sure you are right....I wouldnt be surprised if you found the same councilor on both sides of the fence....this is after all Everett
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  10:07:54 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was pleasantly surprised with CC meeting on how many of the members participated in the dialog about Wood Waste.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  12:34:00 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I check the following site often and I just cam across some interesting reading.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Everett mayor talks trash about our city
When I got home just now, there was a comment to be posted, from someone in Everett. Thought it should stand on its own, especially since the comment is posted to the Obama visits Flint piece:

Just an FYI that Everett Mayor Carlo DeMaria stated to the residents last night that Newburyport is in trouble because the city dumped waste into the landfill then tried to say it was W. Theabeault. Our Mayor told alot of crock stories about New Ventures and Woodwaste just to sell his story.

I wonder if this anonymous commenter would care to expand on this?
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  1:04:11 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW. That's too much. We should have a joint website with Newburyport so the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  1:09:57 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another blog in Newburyport.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008
It's going to be your problem now
As the Daily News reports, The City Council is meeting Wednesday night, first in public, then in private, to figure out what the next step is regarding the Crow's Lane landfill. A potential lawsuit, presumably inolving New Ventures, is on the table.

So this no longer is a neighborhood issue. It's a community issue.

Any lawsuit will cost money, money that might otherwise be spent on services for the rest of us. After listening to the complaints of the Crow's Lane folks, I happen to think it would be money necessarily spent.

But make your own decision. It's time to step up. Hit tonight's meeting. Listen to what your fellow residents have dealt with and--based on those first hand accounts--determine how much you're willing to take.

Oh, and please check out Gillian Swart's blog, particularly this diddy about some smack talk from Everett's mayor.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  1:27:53 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cant remember what the Mayor said about what Newburyport did. He did say something about the city dumping in the landfill and he was absolutely defending Thibeault. The entire meeting was the Carlo DeMaria show, so it was not easy to follow.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  3:01:56 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't understand after this article (and there is many more) that the AG wants him to bring waste from Wood Waste to Newburyport. People from Newburyport need to come and see Wood Waste before they accept anything.

MARTHA COAKLEY

ATTORNEY GENERAL
September 21, 2007 - For immediate release:
COURT ORDERS NEWBURYPORT LANDFILL OPERATOR TO TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION TO CONTROL ODOR
BOSTON – Today, Attorney General Martha Coakley obtained a Court order from Judge David McLaughlin in Suffolk Superior Court which directs the operator of the Crow Lane Landfill to take immediate steps to stop the spread of noxious hydrogen sulfide gas emissions from a Newburyport landfill, which is producing nuisance conditions and risking the health and safety of people living near the facility.

“New Ventures has repeatedly violated Court orders and failed to control harmful odors plaguing Newburyport residents,” said Attorney General Martha Coakley. “My office will continue working to try to ensure that this problem is taken care of in order to protect the welfare and health of those living near the landfill.”

On July 27, 2007, the Commonwealth filed a motion asking the Court to order the landfill to take several immediate steps to control hydrogen sulfide emissions or allow the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) access to the site to complete the work instead. Today, the Court ordered New Ventures to place a temporary cap on part of the landfill generating hydrogen sulfide and install three new gas extraction wells to control noxious odors from the same problem area. For the portion of the landfill that has already been capped, the Court ordered New Ventures to permanently repair tears and openings in the cap membrane and keep the cap sealed and in good repair.

“MassDEP’s priorities continue to be the elimination of odors that have created nuisance conditions for nearby residents, and the swift closure of this landfill,” said MassDEP Commissioner Laurie Burt. “Today’s decision will move us closer to those goals.”

Last year, the Attorney General’s Office filed a lawsuit against New Ventures Associates, LLC, the owner and operator of the Crow Lane landfill, for violating MassDEP enforcement orders, resulting in the release of hydrogen sulfide gas. In October, the Court issued a Preliminary Injunction requiring the landfill operator to install pretreatment controls to stop the spread of the gas, which has a foul, rotten egg-like smell, and to cap the landfill on an expedited schedule.

Since last fall, New Ventures has repeatedly missed deadlines and failed to comply with the Court’s order, resulting in continued odor problems and landfill capping delays. The Preliminary Injunction requires that New Ventures take steps to keep odors under control during the closure process. According to the Attorney General’s motion, MassDEP, the City of Newburyport and New Ventures have received more than 150 complaints from at least nineteen residences about noxious landfill odors. Many individuals who reported the strong odor complained of eye and throat irritation, nausea and headaches. Some reported difficulty sleeping on several occasions.

“We are pleased with what the judge ordered and believe that it was a sound decision,” said Newburyport Mayor John Moak. “We will continue to work with the Attorney General’s Office and MassDEP toward closure on the landfill.”

Attorney General Martha Coakley and MassDEP have worked with Mayor Moak and the Newburyport Board of Health to get the landfill operator to comply with the Preliminary Injunction and all regulations governing the site. MassDEP shut down the landfill for failure to comply with the Preliminary Injunction on four separate occasions this year. Additionally, the City of Newburyport recently issued a cease and desist order for the landfill’s creation of nuisance conditions. Both the Commonwealth’s shut down order and the City’s cease and desist order are still in effect.

Assistant Attorney General Matthew Ireland of Attorney General Martha Coakley’s Environmental Protection Division is handling this matter with assistance from paralegal Jennifer Venezia, MassDEP attorney Michael Dingle and John Carrigan, Chief of the Solid Waste Division of MassDEP’s Northeast Regional Office.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  9:36:25 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Newburyport.........

Wednesday, June 18, 2008
City Council rejects NV proposal
With some other language. I'll post more in a few minutes (I have to eat!).
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  9:48:54 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those of you who don't know, NV is New Ventures. NV is the landfill in Newburyport which is owned by William Thibeault of Everett's Wood Waste.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  9:55:29 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
City Council rejects NV proposal
The City Council, after 1-1/2 hrs. behind closed doors, re-convened to announce that the group had taken a vote in executive session to "Reject the amendment to the Host Community Agreement as presented by New Ventures, and to direct the Mayor and City Attorney to seek an alternative further compromise on the 21E claim and additional benefits to the city and its inhabitants."

The vote was unanimous, but with councillors Katie Ives, Larry McCavitt and Tom O'Brien absent. At one point in their deliberations, raised voices could be heard from inside council chambers.

The landfill neighbors and other interested parties, most of who stuck it out, were pleased but not ecstatic with the language of the resolution. Stephen Tait talked to a lot of them so we can all wait for Stephen's report, tomorrow.

But I will report that Brian Derrivan, Ward 5 councillor, replied when asked what the last part of the resolution meant, "Anything we deem that should be added into it, that is of benefit to the residents."

There was also some amount of grumbling when the spectators were thrown out of the peanut gallery so the councillors could go into executive session, and a few councillors were grilled after the meeting adjourned about why they went into executive session.
Posted by Gillian Swart at 9:38 PM 0 comments
Labels: landfill

Edited by - massdee on 06/18/2008 9:58:34 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2