Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Wood Waste
 Wood Waste
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  6:38:04 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Thibeault did that, he is a very sick individual.

Edited by - massdee on 11/20/2008 7:08:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  7:12:41 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Newburyport is not sure what the significance of this is, but why don't we ask the guy that was (supposedly) running around the landfill, with a gun, days before the Public Hearing. Yea right.

Who ever did this IS a very sick person. These are sick people that do not care who they scare or do harm too. There are children there and they never take these things into consideration. Stories are starting to come from both Newburyport and Everett. It's getting out of control and someone needs to stop this. Notice Thibeault had "no comment" on "his" landfill.

Thanks A LOT Mayor DeMaria for shoving this guy down our throats, rather than doing everything you can to stop him. Watch what starts happening in Everett, or has already started.

You know.....last election I heard stories of retaliation and I didn't take them seriously. After what I have been hearing the past couple of weeks, I have no doubt that nasty politics took place and I am disgusted that I had any part of it. I had much higher hopes for Everett that this Bull Sh*t. We are worse off than ever before. I hope someone can help this city recuperate from the disaster of this administration.

Thursday, November 20, 2008
What the ... ?
A skull and crossbones flying over the landfill? Well yeah, says the Daily News (and people's eyes).

At-Large Councilor Tom Jones said yesterday he can see the flag from his house and that it was put up following an article in the newspaper reporting that the state Attorney General's office is seeking a contempt order against New Ventures, the owner and operator of the landfill, for failing to meet the terms of a preliminary injunction.

I'm not sure of the significance of this move. Maybe it was the guy with the gun, who was a few weeks ago seen in the vicinity of the landfill.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - Tails on 11/20/2008 7:21:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  9:22:49 PM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is Bill Thibeault, that behavior is right up his alley. Bill gets what Bill wants, when he wants, and comes after anyone that gets in his way.

We all must be so proud to praise him on the rotary. With all the accidents they put shrubs and the fruit is overboard.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  1:03:29 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG.......I didn't notice the fruit (Lemons?) until today. There isn't any place for the snow plows either. There are small entrances, but if they slide, they are going to slide right down on Route 16. Say what you want, the rotary looks ridiculous, and it's an accident waiting to happen. One accident is going to knock out a lot of shrubs and I don't think much thought went into this. I think it was a power trip, and a cash funnel line. Thanks Billy!
Go to Top of Page

kimmy

32 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  1:47:59 PM  Show Profile Send kimmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trucks have been going in and out of there. I took a better look at the place its gross. That should not be.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  2:32:08 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you referring to Wood Waste? That’s the problem, that they are operating, and not following city and state guidelines or rules.

They are taking everything and anything in off these trucks, smashing them up in the outside, along with the chemicals for smashing, PLUS the gypsum and blueboard………and I know this because it STINKS at Wood Waste. The Board of Health does nothing, they dont even fine him for this, and all this is proven by the state. For the State to do more than the city, should really tell people something. This business owner thinks that he is above the law.

I don’t fully blame him though, I blame the lawyer Anthony Rossi, for the problems in Everett and I blame “Chip” Nylen for Newburyport’s problems.

Rossi is worse because he sold out his own neighbors. He could care less that this is happening in the city he grew up in. If he was a good man, he would have talked his “boss” into building a temporary structure NOT A TENT (that part of it blew away last week)……. to ease some of the suffering.

He was also the one that stopped the DEP’s cease & desist in July. He argued the case, and now it goes to trial. Delay Delay Delay……sinister lawyers are all alike. Ka ching Ka ching.

So…..if this lower Broadway deal falls through, what’s going to happen at the sweetser circle rotary? Will we have flagpoles with skulls and crossbones, like the ones that their city council can see from their houses, right on crow lane landfill?
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  2:41:22 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say......if the judge does not have the time, and he is breaking the law, and people are getting SICK and SUFFERING.....get another judge!

Something is not right.

More delays in landfill enforcement

By Katie Farrell
Staff writer

November 22, 2008 03:56 am

NEWBURYPORT — Court action against the owner and operator of the Crow Lane landfill won't happen for at least five months, a Suffolk Superior Court judge told representatives of the city yesterday.

Last week, the Attorney General's office filed a request for a contempt order against New Ventures, saying owner William Thibeault has not met the terms of a preliminary injunction set up in 2006. The state asked the court to direct New Ventures to control leachate, respond to odor complaints, and to operate the landfill gas control system that works to prevent the odors that have plagued the neighborhood for years.

The trial, which will take two days, was set for April 23 and 24, after the judge determined he did not have two consecutive days free in December, Butterworth said.

"The Commonwealth would have preferred to have it scheduled much sooner," said Jill Butterworth, Deputy Press Secretary for the Office of Attorney General Martha Coakley.

The judge ruled New Ventures must answer the state's contempt complaint by Dec. 19, Butterworth said.

If Thibeault is found in contempt of the injunction at that trial, he will be forced to follow through and meet all the terms and comply with the injunction, Butterworth said.

Mayor John Moak said he received an update on the court appearance from Mark Reich, the city's attorney at Kopelman and Paige law firm.

The mayor questioned why the trial was set in April, saying he wonders if the judge wants to see the parties reach a resolution on the case pending with the Department of Environmental Protection.

"The contempt is a stronger filing, (but) nothing has happened to it; it's being put off until April," Moak said.

New Ventures — the landfill's owner — the state Department of Environmental Protection and the state attorney general had been in negotiations for months to develop a settlement regarding the capping and closing of the embattled dump, which for years has been the source of rotten-egg smells that have caused nausea and other health problems in nearby neighborhoods.

The City Council rejected a deal last summer, presented by Moak, that would have capped the landfill. The mayor has presented a new version of a settlement agreement to the council that they will now review and take a vote on whether or not to accept, at an upcoming meeting, likely in December.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  4:34:37 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's been getting away with murder from day one.

Must be nice to be a millionaire, not pay your taxes AND get awarded no bid city contracts in the process. No wonder Thibeault doesn't want to leave Everett. That is like asking a a dog to leave a bone.

IN EVERETT, DEAL HELPS DELINQUENT PAY TAXES
Author(s): Stephen Kurkjian, Globe Staff Page: A1 Section: Metro

EVERETT -- With Mayor David Ragucci's encouragement, the city steered a lucrative waste disposal contract to a major commercial tax delinquent, helping the company pay $200,000 in back real estate taxes.

Public contracts for tax-delinquent companies are contrary to city policy and may violate state law, according to Everett's procurement chief. Moreover, the proposal that won the contract for Wood Waste of Boston Corp. appears to have been based on an estimate that Ragucci's public works chief, David P. Ravanesi, sought from another contractor and passed on to Wood Waste. In an interview, John J. Paonessa, the president of the other firm, said he felt he was "set up" by Ravanesi to help Wood Waste secure the contract. Last week, City Solicitor Ronald J. Salvato said Ravanesi cannot recall whether he provided Paonessa's quote to Wood Waste.

In another instance of apparent favoritism, Ragucci used the city's eminent domain power last year to take a parking lot owned by an Everett pharmacist who backed his 1997 opponent. The new municipal parking lot is across the street from the accounting and law offices of Ragucci's campaign treasurer, which had no off-street parking.
The campaign treasurer, Joseph D. Cataldo, acknowledged asking Ragucci to take the property for the city, but he denied that political favoritism affected the decision.

In June, the Globe reported that FBI agents had begun an investigation of Everett City Hall. The Globe Spotlight Team also reported that Ragucci personally arranged to forgive nearly $90,000 in interest payments for the city's biggest tax delinquent, whose family supported Ragucci and whose lawyer, Albert P. Farese Jr., is a close ally of the mayor. The attempt to forgive interest on the $1.6 million debt appears to have violated a state law.

At the time, Ragucci was also facing a lawsuit by his former procurement chief, Maureen Mahoney. According to the lawsuit, Ragucci fired Mahoney after she balked at his orders that she dole out city contracts to his political supporters in violation of state bidding law.

Against that backdrop, the Wood Waste contract has drawn criticism from John M. Garron, who was picked by Ragucci to replace Mahoney. In an interview, Garron said he believes state law required the contract to be formally bid. He also said he believes another state law bars the award of public contracts to tax-delinquent companies.

"They've gone completely around my office to give them this work, and I can imagine why," Garron said. "If they'd gone through me, I would have told them we can't hire anyone who owes back taxes like this and that we should be putting the whole thing out to bid."

Ragucci, as has been his policy, refused to be interviewed for this article. But speaking for the mayor and Ravanesi, Salvato, the city attorney, defended the award of the contract without formal bidding. However, after the Globe raised questions about it and he reviewed Ravanesi's actions, he then acknowledged that "all the policies and procedures may not have been followed as they should have been."
Ragucci, when he was an alderman, was a critic of Wood Waste's operation on Revere Beach Parkway, which had been the subject of citizen complaints about possible health hazards from its on-site demolition operation.

Yet after Ragucci became mayor, Ravanesi, in Garron's view, skirted bidding procedures with Ragucci's assent and hired Wood Waste as the city's principal rubble disposal company. The company has been paid $157,138 over the past 12 months.

The checks went directly to help pay off its delinquent real estate taxes. With no remaining tax liens on the property, Wood Waste is now free to sell its property. And Stop & Shop has expressed an interest in the site for a superstore. Wood Waste still owes about $20,000 in back taxes on an adjacent property.

In June, an affiliate of Wood Waste, Greater Northern Site Corp., donated $500 to one of Ragucci's favorite City Hall causes -- the Everett Youth Commission.

Ragucci, through Salvato, denied that the apparent favoritism for Wood Waste stemmed from political considerations. Neither of its two principals is listed as Ragucci contributors, but Ragucci's longtime ally, Farese, has represented the firm in other local disputes. Farese also represented the other tax delinquent.
Ragucci acknowledged approving Ravanesi's request to steer the contract to Wood Waste even though the firm owed more than $200,000 in back taxes. He said Ravanesi told him that he had surveyed several firms on what they would charge for the job and Wood's Waste's quote was the lowest.

However, another contractor says he believes that he was used by Ravanesi to provide an estimate on how much work was involved so that his quote could be provided to Wood Waste to ensure that it won the job. Wood Waste won the job with a bid that was $250 lower than the quote submitted by John J. Paonessa Company, Inc. of Malden.
"This whole thing was a setup from the start," Paonessa said. "Ravanesi told me afterwards that the mayor wanted Wood Waste to do the job so that it could pay off its back taxes. They just used me to tell them how much the job would cost."

William J. Thibeault, a principal in Wood Waste, would not comment about the issue.

The deal also appears to run counter to a state law designed to prevent tax delinquents from obtaining public contracts. The 1983 law requires all companies seeking public contracts to submit an affidavit with their bids that they had complied "with all laws of the commonwealth relating to taxes."

But since the Everett City Council has not adopted the law, firms that are delinquent in paying property taxes may not be prohibited from bidding on public contracts, according to a spokesman for the state Department of Revenue.

However, Garron, the Everett procurement chief, said he believes firmly that the law does cover all companies bidding on city contracts and he makes certain that they submit a signed affidavit with their bids asserting that they have paid all of their taxes, state as well as local.

"I believe that if you are going to bid on contracts in Everett then you have to be up to date with your taxes," Garron said last week.
But Garron was excluded from the city's dealings with Wood Waste and none of the work was subject to the requirements of the state's public bidding statute. Instead, Ravanesi, the public works chief, did all the negotiating with Wood Waste to dispose of rubble, from concrete to fallen tree limbs, that ends up on Everett roads. Ravanesi also approved Wood Waste's invoices for payment, a customary function of the procurement office.

Salvato asserted that waste disposal services are exempted from the state's public bidding statutes. Garron disagrees.
"I can't justify it or defend it," Garron said. "If it had gone through this office, I would have put the whole thing out to bid." But since other officials believe the work is not subject to bid requirements, he said, "they're able to do what they want."
By some accounts, politics also played a role in Ragucci's decision to have the city take a lot adjacent to the Prescription Shoppe on Broadway owned by Anthony J. LaMonica.

LaMonica, who backed former mayor John McCarthy, said his lot was earmarked for the taking because it is directly across the street from the offices of Ragucci's treasurer, Cataldo.

Cataldo acknowledged in an interview that he had urged Ragucci to propose having LaMonica's lot taken by eminent domain -- a proposal which the City Council adopted unanimously last November. But he said Ragucci's decision was based on legitimate concerns for area businesses and not political favoritism.

But LaMonica noted that his lot was the only one taken for off-street parking during Ragucci's tenure. LaMonica said: "I know how politics works and I got no problem with politicians helping their own. But they shouldn't be doing it when it hurts other people."

Edited by - Tails on 11/22/2008 4:51:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

outoftowner

24 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  10:09:55 AM  Show Profile Send outoftowner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Article posted above is from 1999. But has anything changed since then?
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  10:34:12 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a damn thing! He is the same scumbag he has always been with politicians in his pockets.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  12:42:38 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's right, and Mayor DeMaria keeps taking his money. This is one thing I give former Mayor Hanlon a lot of credit for, he would not bow down to these tactics.

When Thibeault went into Mayor Hanlon's office, with his former attorney (who quit because Thibeault was so unrealistic) and flung a 3.5 million dollar check at him and said "Give me fourth street by eminent domain" (which Woody's Tire was awarded an easement in court) the check got flung back at him and he was told, "we don't do business this way."

Mayor DeMaria is practically begging people to do what Thibeault wants. I think there is a lot more at personal stake here for him, than a $250.00 donation check.
Go to Top of Page

Paul

158 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  4:36:27 PM  Show Profile Send Paul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder how much Mr Thibault will donate toward the new field at Everett Stadium?
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  4:49:43 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"When Thibeault went into Mayor Hanlon's office, with his former attorney (who quit because Thibeault was so unrealistic) and flung a 3.5 million dollar check at him and said "Give me fourth street by eminent domain" (which Woody's Tire was awarded an easement in court) the check got flung back at him and he was told, "we don't do business this way." "

come on Tails....do you make this stuff up as you go along? 4th street was part of the original P&S....why would he have needed Hanlon to take it via eminent domain?
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  5:40:49 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
justwondering.............everything that I have ever said can be backed up by facts, unlike you for what ever your purpose. Just because someone knows something that you don't, you get nasty, and make insulting comments. Just talk to the former lawyer John Kennedy.

Not that I care what you say, I only care about the people that have been suffering over this.

Here is an article to remember the history of this. Woody's Tires was awarded the easement in court to fourth street and Thibeault has been suing Everett over it. I suggest go read the concoction Thibeault and David Ragucci cooked up way back just to get the tax delinquent in Everett. It's a few posts up. I liked David other than this issue.

The Boston Globe

Boston Globe, The (MA)

CITY LAND SALE HITS A BUMP ON ROADS
COMMON COUNCIL TO VOTE TUESDAY

Author: Angelica Medaglia, Globe Staff

Edition: THIRD
Section: GLOBE NORTH
Page: 1

Index Terms:
NO

Estimated printed pages: 4

Article Text:

The Common Council plans to meet Tuesday to vote a second time on the sale of two city streets that would become part of a deal to sell an abandoned city yard to a private developer. The mayor's office requested the panel confirm its unanimous vote taken in November.

The Board of Aldermen, which also tackled the issue in November, voted again Aug. 11, also at the mayor's request, and approved the sale of East Elm and Fourth streets. If the Common Council approves the sale, it would finalize a deal between the city and developer William Thibeault, who offered to clean any polluted land in the 5.7-acre site and make the abandoned public works building a garage on East Elm Street. In Everett, the Common Council and the Board of Aldermen make up the City Council.

The deal has sparked controversy among elected officials and abutters of the mostly industrial area bordering Revere Beach Parkway, a major traffic artery.

"The administration shouldn't never signed the purchasing agreement until this last vote," said John McKinnon, ward councilor in that neighborhood.

"It was a good idea at the time, that they would go and sell the city yards," McKinnon added. "But now we are looking at the impacts to the businesses around there and the impact to [residents] and now it's almost too late."

In July, one abutter filed a lawsuit against Thibeault and the city, saying the sale of Fourth Street would cut off her right of way to Revere Beach Parkway and jeopardize her tire repair business. Lawyers for the abutter and Thibeault say they are now negotiating the use of Fourth Street.

The Board of Aldermen and the Common Council unanimously voted in November to remove the streets from the city's roster and attach them to the sale of the city yard, city records show. The city did not sign the sale agreement with Thibeault until the aldermen and Common Council voted, according to city solicitor Robert Jordan.

But now, several members of the City Council are saying they misunderstood the purpose of the November vote, adding they had intended to vote to get the Planning Board's recommendation on the sale of the two streets.

"I honestly didn't think that vote that we took originally was the final vote," said Alderman Frank Nuzzo Jr., who represents Ward 1 and voted Aug. 11 in favor of selling the streets.

Alderman Robert Van Campen - one of two aldermen who voted against selling the streets - also said he thought the November vote was to seek a recommendation from the Planning Board.

"I think the lesson to be taken from this is that communication needs to be better between City Council and the administration," said Van Campen.

"All of a sudden we are told that we have to approve it or the city would be facing a lawsuit," he said, referring to comments Thibeault made at the Aug. 11 meeting.

In an attempt to revitalize an industrial section of Everett, the city looked for a bidder who would clean up contamination and bring more business to the former city yard area.Thibeault was the highest of two bidders for property that was advertised three times in two years.

Mayor David Ragucci said he supported the sale because it would "generate a tax base where we never had a tax base before."

"As far as supporting this guy, there is nobody else to support," Ragucci said. "This has been the only legitimate offer to the property . . . and no I don't think it's going to increase in value. We are also faced with the possibility that the gentleman who has spent money in this sale already may sue us."

Thibeault, who is responsible for cleaning a parcel on Revere Beach Parkway and attracting a Stop & Shop to that site, "has an interesting record in the city," said Jordan.

Thibeault is associated with Wood Waste of Boston, a construction demolition business on Boston Streetowned and managed by his sister, Della Thibeault. Thibeault owns the land where the business sits, according to his lawyer, Jon Kennedy, and the land is near the city yard he successfully bid on. Thibeault also owns a number of companies, including a trucking company and demolition and environmental remediation companies that are run out of the Wood Waste site.

In March, neighbors sent letters to the Planning Board protesting the sale of the city yard to Thibeault.

One abutter, James McGahey of East Elm Street, wrote a letter to the Planning Board before a public hearing on the street sale in March. "I have serious concerns as to what will happen at the [city yard] site since I live across from Wood Waste of Boston and was shown a blueprint of the facility he was going to build at the Boston Street site. Four years later all I have is a canvas tent, a hose, and a mesh screen," McGahey wrote, referring to the temporary Wood Waste structure.

Wood Waste recycles debris inside the temporary facility.

Joe Ferson, a spokesperson at the state Department of Environmental Protection, said the demolition company can remain in business without a permanent building until January.

Some councilors have voiced concern over Thibeault's long-term vision for the city yard, saying it may not fit with the city's revitalization effort.

Thibeault has told city councilors he plans to combine the city yard with the Wood Waste site and another parcel on the Chelsea border. He would then sell the package.

The land package "would be approximately 15 acres," which Thibeault would "sell to a Walgreen's, a hotel, things of that nature. But the economy is slow right now," Kennedy said.

People close to the issue say the Common Council vote could end in a one-split vote or even a tie.

Edited by - Tails on 11/25/2008 5:43:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  9:55:15 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul

I wonder how much Mr Thibault will donate toward the new field at Everett Stadium?

If I was a gambler, I would bet a lot. For what ever the reason, they are trying to make him out to be the model citizen. It's spare change to him, and he should be taking that money to help the abutters and the residents that are being affected by his non compliant waste station......and Model citizens do not deliberately make people sick, and that takes presidence over any donation or shrubs on a rotary.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.4 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2