Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 Everett Independent
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

imbroglio

47 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  09:12:37 AM  Show Profile Send imbroglio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Parlin's middle name was Norton. It's the Albert N. Parlin School.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  3:21:22 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From this week's Independent:

Board approves budget after breezy hearings

By Keith Spencer

After a series of sweeping reviews, the Board of Aldermen accepted the report from the Committee of Whole on Budget 2010, voting 6-0 in favor of the mayor’s proposed FY ‘10 budget. The $132 million spending plan faced nearly $350,000 in cuts over the course of four breezy budget hearings, despite a potentially dire outlook. “I want to thank my colleagues for making the process go so smoothly this year,” said Alderman Robert Van Campen on Monday evening. Van Campen currently serves as chairperson of the budget committee.

Referencing a recent request by Mayor Carlo DeMaria to transfer $947,000 in free cash to keep city employees working, Van Campen issues a warning to his colleagues that the move was “creating an unhealthy situation here in Everett”. Last year, Van Campen predicted higher taxes for residents as a result, casting the sole vote against the FY ‘09 budget. The Ward Five alderman called for a budget that provided a blueprint to financially stabilizing the city. While little argument took place this year, Van Campen’s stern warning echoed previous statements regarding the city’s “culture of overspending”.

“I have to comment and caution the city,” Van Campen warned. “We have now taken free cash to plug a hole in the operations of the city, which was good for this year because we were able to save services and jobs, keep the ship going on course. However, at some point, this problem is going to catch up with us, and we will have to deal with it.” Van Campen informed his fellow board members and residents at home that if the transfer of free cash occurred, the proposed budget would have exceeded Proposition 2 ˝. The state law, which was approved by voters in 1980, limits the amount of revenue a city or town can raise from local property taxes each year to fund municipal operations.

“We are taxing the people at almost a maximum capacity,” concluded Van Campen. “The later we wait, the worse this problem is going to be.” Facing close to a $5 million reduction in local aid from the state, and the mayor and his budget team reduced the city's operating budget close to $3 million from FY ‘09. The team eliminated 32 positions through consolidation of departments, the city's separation incentive, retirement of public safety and operational personnel, and by not filling vacant positions. On May 7, clerical union members received notices that positions were eliminated, resulting in layoffs, and the police and fire departments were already looking at major cuts to personnel.

"We cut a number of jobs through our incentive program, through attrition and by not backfilling positions," Mayor DeMaria said earlier in the month. “It certainly is a Band-Aid to keep public safety and operational staff and not impact services to our residents.”

According to remarks by Police Chief Mazzie and Fire Chief Butler during the budget hearings, the injection of free cash saved public safety positions. Both the police and fire departments would have been facing a large number of layoffs and rank reductions within the police force.

“It is going to be a tough year, and there are going to be some decisions we have to make,” Mazzie said during the first hearing. “If we stay healthy and we get creative and resourceful with grant monies, we will be okay. I am asking my division commanders to keep things tight.” The mayor and public safety leaders are also currently wading through the uncertainty of federal stimulus money, and hope to see continued relief for municipalities in the future.

DeMaria’s original proposed budget for FY ‘10 was set at $131,833,417, but was cut by $344,000 during the four budget hearings held in three weeks. After taking into consideration the $947,701 in free cash applied to the tax levy, the final projected budget is $132,436,710.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  3:25:10 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An editorial from this week’s Independent.

Everett without a mayor’s race?

Unless something extraordinary takes place, and soon, it appears that Mayor Carlo DeMaria will have worked the miracle of all miracles here – that is – having a virtual unknown facing him in a race that only he is destined to win.

Meaning no disrespect to Teresa Lee Morris, who has taken out papers for a mayoral run, she has only the slightest of chances of having even a minor impact on voters in this city. In this city today, there is great satisfaction over the way the mayor has been running his office and the city as well. And this is against the backdrop of one of the worst local economies since the early 1990s.

As the recession has intensified, Everett appears to have dodged the bullet. Some of this is the mayor’s doing. He has managed a tight budget, has consolidated offices and spending, and for the most part, he’d done the right thing. Some of it is luck. The housing market is a far cry from what existed two years ago – and it is different, again, from the market last year. And, of course, the decline in value of real estate has nothing whatsoever to do with Mayor DeMaria.

Here in Everett, as everywhere else in this state, the recession hasn’t directly affected us dramatically unless we want to sell our family home or we are ready for retirement, only to find that our retirement accounts, 401Ks, IRAs and mutual fund accounts have taken a drubbing. They will never come back to where they were, certainly not in the next few years. Again, this is not the mayor’s fault. Mayor DeMaria and his last opponent, former Mayor John Hanlon are like night and day.

First there is the dramatic age difference. Second is the difference in management style.
Third is the difference in outlook and raw command. DeMaria has a very outgoing personality.

He sees and represents a vastly different Everett than Hanlon did. The place is changing fast all around.

DeMaria is up to managing the change. The voters recognize this.

Anything is possible in this world – but DeMaria can’t lose. What’s more important, he has a grasp on things, and he’s good at it.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  3:41:03 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know how anyone can make that statement that Mrs. Morris doesn't have the slightest chance without even knowing her, or what she is about.

This entire editorial is trash, and people are not fooled. Don't count Mrs. Morris out that quick. She may not win, but I think people are going to be pretty surprised as to what she takes away from that Clown.
Go to Top of Page

carlost everett

41 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  9:16:55 PM  Show Profile Send carlost everett a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two things come to mind. First, why would anyone reproduce this rubbage, when we're forced to see it in the paper ourselves and secondly, this is the same rag that won't let people write letters or commentary if its anti carlost. Is it just me or is it common sense that they'd try to slander anyone running against him.

Just a question. Besides being an individual of questionable character and knowing how much jelly to fill in the middle, what was Carlost's qualifications when we gave him a chance?

CarloST Everett
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  10:06:24 PM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Carlost, couldn't have said it better myself. I always wondered why everything was repeated in this venue. From what I understand, many people have attempted to write editorials and letters to the editor about Woodwaste and other issues. I even know of one person who offered to pay for their contribution and were denied because it was anti-administration.
Unless I'm dillusional haven't we discussed at great length how the newspapers in this city have let us down and are part of the problem? We've said, over and over again, when speaking of why a certain Alderman didn't run, that because the papers won't report accurately that they have kept the voters of this city in the dark.
I see no use in propagating their slanted viewspoint. That's like reading the volumes of press releases from MattyBoy and taking them for gospel.
As it concerns Ms.Morris. Hey, I say "Good luck to her" at least she HAS a set and is willing to put them on the line for us.
Carlost is absolutely right. What distinguished Carlo when he ran? Nice guy, true (at the time), handsome family, true... brain surgeon, NOT! He had a financier (Thibeault) and away he went. So, who knows? I think one thing about venues such as this is that we're quick to cut the heads off people before we know everything.
We've all seen that he really didn't (and doesn't now) have a clue. He had one mission when he came in and that was to facilitate what Thibeau wanted. In that regard, he's accomplished his mission. At our expense, yes, but he did what he set out to do.

[b]Just My Humble Opinion

"Cruller DaHville"
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  10:22:45 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally never get the Advocate and at other times I don't receive the Independent. I look forward to the articles being posted here so I know what the papers are saying. It is a lot of work to transcribe those articles and I appreciate it.

At times I have also posted articles from the newspapers. People who go to work before the papers are delivered have asked me to post articles.

It definitely serves a need to some of the readers of this message board.

"Deb"

Edited by - massdee on 06/11/2009 11:04:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  11:09:59 PM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure it is time consuming to retype the article MassDee. However, the newspapers in this city haven't been doing their job as I see it. My idea of a local newspaper is an entity that allows discussing, debate, and bantering back and forth. All three of the locals in this city have not done that.
As I said, I know of three individuals who have attempted to have their voices heard via the editorial page and were denied. One of them even offered to pay for the space.

That being said, it is my, probably slanted opinion, that presently they are a waste of space and time. If I wanted to hear the regergitated accalades of the mayor, I'd call his mom or walk into city hall and bump into one of the many cousins he employs.

Finally, I think its an unproductive residual of this venue to hurt an individuals credibility without giving them a chance. I have posted this many times before that our opinions are just that "our opinions". Ms. Morris hasn't even been given ample time or space and the only chosen article printed was negative. That's hardly fair. Should I expect to see her announcement or any positive piece (if allowed to be printed in any of the rags) copied here? At least that would be fair.

There have been alot of victims from false newspaper accounts in this city, my arguement is that picking and chosing which ones to repeat just furthers their disinformation.

I want to clarify that this in NO WAY has to do with Tetris and his retyping of certain articles. Its the newspapers credibility first and foremost and then the choices of which articles to recycle.

We all have our personal favorites and that's fine; why hurt someone right out of the gate? I know why the local papers do it. I thought perhaps this forum was more evolved than that.

Just My Honest Opinion

"Cruller DaHville"

Edited by - Cruller DaVille on 06/11/2009 11:13:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  11:39:27 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't speak for Tetris but knowing him from reading his post for quite awhile now, in my opinion, he did not choose to post that article to hurt Mrs Morris. It was probably more in the tune of showing the hypocrisy of the article.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  12:02:32 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted that editorial in the hopes that exactly what happened tonight would happen, that people would be upset that the Independent is totally discounting Mrs. Morris' chances in the upcoming election and would post counter opinions. Maybe my efforts are fruitless because everyone who frequents the blogs are already aware that all of the local papers are less than bastions of jornalistic integrity; but, if we can inform even one more person...

Yes, I do pick which articles that I post. I try to pick ones that I think would be of general interest or are important. I would gladly wecome anyone else to post ones that they feel are important as well; I could use a break from all the typing. However, if it is the general will of the board to stop the practice, I have no problem with that; I just can't speak for anybody else who posts articles already.

For now, I'll keep up the practice. I want to at least complete posting the articles I picked from this week's Independent as to provide some balance. There's a couple of Eye on Everett pieces that I want to post at least, including one about the FY10 budget that questions the choices that have been made. The pieces that have been posted so far were cut and paste from the Independent website; the other pieces need to be transcribed and I just haven't had time to do that yet.
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  12:37:53 AM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hypocrisy is the perfect word for describing the role the media has willingly accepted since January 2008 MassDee.

"Cruller DaHville"
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  3:49:37 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As promised, from this week's Independent's Eye on Everett column:

FY '10 Budget

For the second year in a row, Everett lawmakers managed to pass the operating budget for the city in a timely, professional manner and did so without resorting to yelling and name-calling.

This has been a departure of past budget practices, especially the previous three years; one of was David Ragucci's last budget as mayor and then for John Hanlon's two years in charge.

Last year, it was understandable that lawmakers allowed the administration a bit more leeway in certain areas of the budget.

After all, it was the new mayor's first budget. The economic news was just starting to turn bleak, and let's face it, it wasn't an election year, and no one really needed to score any political points on that front.

Frankly, we expected more fireworks this year, but there were very few, if any.

Perhaps these difficult economic times play a big factor in the efficiency of the recent budget process.

After all, with times as tough as they are and the people already taxed near the limit, there wasn't much wiggle room in the budget city officials just passed.

At just under $132.5 million, this budget represents a miniscule increase over last year's budget that came in at just over $132 million.

In fact, the City Council did not find much fat to trim out of the budget

That's because any more cuts would probably necessitate more layoffs, and we just don't think lawmakers have the stomach for making the tough choices about who gets to work for the city and who doesn't.

Mayor Carlo DeMaria has already managed to make some layoffs and leave some positions unfilled, but we can all remember how hard the City Council and Board of Aldermen fought for the mayor to ensure that there were no layoffs in the area of public safety and also to restore the jobs of certain union members.

Lawmakers managed to have their way on that score as Mayor DeMaria changed his mind and transferred money out of the free cash account to offset layoffs, but even he must know that such a maneuver is only pushing the problem down the road, to be dealt with later.

The inescapable fact that everyone is dealing with right now, both in the private and public sectors, is that even if the economy starts to make a quick recovery, we all still have tough choices to make.

Alderman Robert Van Campen noted on Monday prior to the alderman's vote to accept the budget that at some point, paying for things out of rainy day accounts would eventually catch up to the city, and it will.

It will catch up in the form of lowered bond ratings for the city, meaning that it will cost Everett more to borrow money.

It will catch up to the city in the form of savings accounts that aren't sufficient enough to pay for these same things in the future, which means such things as layoffs and an end to certain services the city currently provides.

In fact, if it weren't for lawmakers agreeing to make several transfers out of these accounts already, the recent budget would have exceeded the state's Proposition 2 1/2 law.

There is hope in the city in the form of potential new growth, and there's always the hope that the economy can make a rebound, but the time seems to be drawing near for our elected leaders to make some tough, and perhaps unpopular decisions.
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  6:29:18 PM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See what I mean!!!! Two years ago, this same information was in bold headlines and everyone was yelling "the taxpayer, the taxpayer". The papers were claiming foul, etc.
What a difference being in ones pocket makes. In the above article, the newspaper just calmy delivers the news in a manner NOT to get the reader concerned or enraged. "It will catch up", "changed his mind" "There's hope for the city"..... all nice ways to calmly say "We're up the creek without a paddle". God forbid they delve into the reasons why.

Got to love it, don't ya? Doesn't it occur to anyone that there's a totally different set of rules being used here? Take a look people, we are where we are and none of the responsibilities we're supposed to take on are being attended to. There are five unions (one more the end of this month) that have gone without a contract. They are going to need retro monies and monies to fufill obligations when they do have a meeting of the minds. Where is that money in the budget? NO WHERE! They ever so slightly mention that monies haven't gone into stablilization and that oooopps "it may catch up with us" or "our bond rating may go down". These aren't little things. This is mismanagement. I guess it depends who is robbing the store huh? What's the word MD mentioned? Oh, Yeah, hypocricy.

Just My Humble Opinion

"Cruller DaHville"
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  8:10:00 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as the budget goes, I have to agree. No one dares say a word because they are cowards. The same complacent people are in the wrong line of work, and need to be replaced. All they care about is "what's in it for them" and "what are you going to do for ME"

Blowing issues off just to make yourself look good is not the way to run a city. Face the issues head on and be open and honest, and that's not what's happening here, and any dummy can see the writing on the wall. There's going to be a lot of searching for money and the bottom line will be TAXES.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  08:36:34 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the article that was in this weeks Independent:

You must be logged in to see this link.

Marchese questions pre-school costs; draws huge crowd
Thursday, November 12, 2009
By Independent Staff

Hundreds of angry parents of Everett children in the pre-school program descended upon city hall Monday night to listen to Auditor Larry DeCoste detail the cost of pre-school at the request of Alderman Mike Marchese.

The crowd packed the city hall auditorium and spilled out into the hallway.

DeCoste never showed up and as such, Marchese told the crowd that nothing would be discussed regarding pre-school without DeCoste’s presence.

This turned the crowd ugly and angry.

Soon, the crowd was shouting for Marchese to allow Superintendent of Schools Fred Foresteire to speak on the subject of pre-school.

Marchese relented.

Foresteire recited a litany of reasons why pre-school is valuable and cost effective for Everett’s public school students.

“Pre-school has no effect on the local tax rate. It is absolutely essential. I don’t know why this was brought up. Perhaps the Aldermen are going to play the tax rate game with pre-school. I hope not,” Foresteire told the Independent.

According to Foresteire, Everett’s public schools are not a burden to taxpayers.

“Pre-school is free just as first grade is free just as sixth grade is free just as high school is free,” he noted.

“Sixty percent of the school budget is paid for by the state,” he added.

No figures were given on the exact cost of pre-school.

However, Foresteire implied that without pre-school, the cost to the city would be far greater than with pre-school.

“It has been proven time and again that pre-school adds immeasurably to the ability of these young kids to get a foothold in the system, to develop reading and social skills and to be fed properly everyday. Also, their parents are able to work while they are in pre-school which adds immeasurably to the local economy.

Some pre-school costs, according to Foresteire, are being paid for with federal stimulus funds approved by the governor.

Marchese’s motion was laid on the table for two weeks.

And:

You must be logged in to see this link.

Aldermen’s pre-school hoopla way off base
Thursday, November 12, 2009
By Independent Staff

We want to point out for the ill-advised in this city that pre-school in the public schools is not a mandate. Rather, it is a necessity.

Questioning pre-school expenses is the prerogative of the Board of Aldermen, although such matters are under the purview of the school committee but the meeting on Monday night at city hall regarding Everett’s pre-school turned into a farce.

More than 300 parents packed city hall Monday evening in response to a measure offered by Alderman Mike Marchese to question the city auditor about the cost for pre-school.

Regrettably, word spread quickly around the city that Marchese and the Aldermen were attempting to do away with pre-school with the claim it is too expensive and that the city cannot afford it.

This caused a huge crowd to collect at city hall wanting answers from Marchese.

What ensued was a gaggle of missteps, which ended with Marchese trying to call off the meeting because the city auditor didn’t show up – which would have left the huge crowd sitting there with no response from government.

Only the vociferous and angry protests of the crowd forced Marchese to relent and School Superintendent Fred Foresteire was allowed to speak.

He explained pre-school, its absolute necessity, and the fact that pre-school is free just as first grade is free, as ninth grade is free, and on and on.

If the Aldermen were seeking to make a play to the people that a great deal of money could be saved by eliminating pre-school, the only thing they did was outrage hundreds of parents who rely on pre-school as one of the pillars of their day to day existence.

The Everett Public Schools receive about 60 percent of their operating budget from the state. The city contributes the remainder.

Pre-school is a necessary component of the public school package.

It has been proven by educators across the nation that pre-school sets the stage for public school students for everything that follows, and that without it, students find it more difficult to adapt to the public school system here and everywhere.

We believe it would be a disaster to eliminate pre-school just as it would be a disaster for the Aldermen to make such an attempt.

We urge Alderman Marchese to spend some time studying the merits of pre-school.

We further state that once Alderman Marchese sees the enormous benefit of the pre-school that he would become its biggest booster..

Without the pre-school experience, the ability to matriculate for many students just starting out in public school will be adversely impacted. And please keep in mind that pre-school isn’t just about learning – it is about proper nutrition and most importantly, it is about allowing working-class parents to maintain jobs while their children are in school.

Everett’s pre-school program should not be fooled with by politicians thinking eliminating it could save anything.

Such efforts are futile.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.37 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2