Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 Everett Independent
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

imbroglio

47 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  09:21:35 AM  Show Profile Send imbroglio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is nothing but taxpayer funded day care. Give me a break.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  10:31:30 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everett Independent March 3, 2010

Guest Op-Ed
Saving taxpayers money
Mayor Carlo DeMaria

In a world where everything is local we struggle through our economic recovery as a country, state and city. As my administration quickly works through the remaining weeks of budget time, I need to look at every opportunity to cut costs, and save the taxpayers of Everett much needed dollars. To that end, I’m joining my fellow Mayors calling upon the State Legislature to act on a municipal relief bill that is in the State House.

I’m urging the taxpayers of Everett, both commercial and residential, to call out State Delegation to support and pass House Bill2509, legislation to give cities and towns the ability to control skyrocketing health insurance costs. This vital bill is is necessary to provide equity and relief for local taxpayers, protect essential local and school services, and preserve jobs that are important to our local economy.

Everett is struggling under the crushing burden of increasing health insurance costs for municipal employees. While health insurance costs are a problem for everyone, cities and towns have been forced to pay much more than necessary because of a state law that gives municipal unions a veto over changes that would reduce the cost to the taxpayers.

Over the past ten years, cities and towns have seen their health insurance costs rise by over a 150%, while spending on everything else from public safety to schools to repairing our roads has increased by only 25%. Health insurance is the biggest budget buster at the local level, accounting for as much as 15% of local budgets, squeezing out vital services and costing local taxpayers more and more every year.

The Legislature voted to cut local aid by $724 million in fiscal 2010 state budget, and cities and towns have laid off thousands of employees, cut services and increased their reliance on property taxes as a result. Without real health insurance reform, we will continue to pay too much for employee health benefits, which will force even more service cuts and layoffs while local taxpayers pay millions more than they should.

Our legislators must support real reform to give local government the same authority the state has to design health insurance plans - this will save taxpayers $75-$100 million across the state. The bill would provide immediate relief from indefensible double standard in state law that blocks simple cost-saving steps unless local unions agree to changes in health insurance plans. The state has exempted itself from this mandate, and routinely implements basic decisions to save money on health insurance with no union approval required. The solution is to end this double standard by giving cities and towns the same authority that the state has to set health insurance plans outside of collective bargaining. The Massachusetts Municipal Association and finance experts estimate that most cities and towns would be able to lower health insurance costs by 4-6%, or as much as $75-$100 million statewide. For example, the City of Boston could save over $1 million a month, and Salem could save $1 million a year. For our community, this could save us as much as $1 million per year. This is real savings that our taxpayers deserve.

There is no excuse to keep the unique and special veto power that municipal unions hold over health plan changes - this veto power is costing taxpayers and forcing the elimination of teacher, firefighters, police officers and other union jobs. Lets be clear: this legislation is written with a guarantee that municipal and school employees will receive health benefits that are equal to or better than what the state employees receive. This bill will protect vital services from being crowed out by spiraling health costs, and will protect jobs at the local level.

In short, this bill saves taxpayers money, protects municipal union jobs, guarantees equity with state employee health benefits, and still leaves municipal unions with more bargaining power than the state unions. This is a balanced, meaningful and fair reform. More delays will hurt taxpayers, municipal employees and the public.

Taxpayers must call on our legislators to support H. 2509 to give Everett plan design reform now. Otherwise, the fiscal problems we face will get worse, and local taxpayers will continue to pay more and get fewer services in return
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  11:36:13 AM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This exact topic has been getting lots of attention in the media lately (print and radio). We should not only be contacting our own representatives at the statehouse.....but also encourage our friends/family in other cities to contact their representatives as well.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  11:58:25 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is the exact reason why I posted it.
Go to Top of Page

waterboy

101 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  2:36:55 PM  Show Profile Send waterboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
tell the mayor to stop hiring his friends massdee since you are vocal out here, do we really need al bongoniz back in the city, oh I forget the mayor is hiring jason marcus girlfriends family one by one, the unions will not go for this everett has a strong union when it comes to health care I believe the ragucci administration tried something and it was shot down by union members, this is a perk to the city employees, we now have a 911 directors job open wonder who is going to put in there, we a two slots open in the city wonder who will be taking them, I like the remard that Mr. sachetta made in the paper stop hiring and start laying off the big wigs (something to that) the people of this city are fed up, he does not show up at meeting cause of conflict with is elected officals well then grow some balls and stand up as the mayor, he wont' do it
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  7:02:29 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The unions won't have an option to go for it or not if the state legislator passes the bill mentioned in the article above.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  08:13:33 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to The Everett Independent, the entire paper is online:

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Linda M

43 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  09:59:04 AM  Show Profile Send Linda M a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love today's article on page two where Smith license has been con't. for the Legal that was done incorrectly in the Everett Leader Paper, he showed up as usual and the board con't. it to July and ask their questions, why???
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  2:09:20 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This weeks Independent....

Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  9:31:08 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drug Bust

Everett Police recover drugs and guns in warrant search
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
By Independent Staff

The Everett Police Special Criminal Investigation Unit along with the ATF State Police, Somerville Police and Middlesex Sheriff’s Department executed a search warrant at 32 Parker St. in the early morning of July 19. This was the result of information developed over several months of investigation for possibly drug dealing at that location.

Entry was gained with the assistance of both the Everett and Revere Police Special Operations Unit. During the entry the suspect attempted to flee to the rear of his apartment where he was stopped. A State Police drug dog was summoned to the

scene to assist with the search. Detectives recovered both cocaine and marijuana in addition to $1,800 dollars in cash. During the search for drugs detectives also found twelve illegal firearms and over 700 rounds of ammunition in the apartment.

The suspect identified as Rildo Peria Andrade, 35, of Everett was placed under arrest and transported to the Everett Police station. He was booked for both drug and weapon charges and arraigned in Malden District Court. Rildo Peria Andrade was found to be in possession of numerous forms of identification with several different names. In addition to his criminal charges he also faces possible deportation.

Edited by - massdee on 07/20/2010 9:33:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  1:14:28 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The city council needs to jump on this ASAP and get this on the books as an ordinance, and for people that are not compliant, I hope they get huge fines. The kids all had a hard time walking to school and had to walk in the middle of the street. This is a safety hazard for everybody and the time is now to implement it. I have never seen so many non-shoveled homes and businesses (this past storm) in this city in all my life. It's because they know they can get away with it.

Everett Businesses and Homeowners Need to Shovel
December 22, 2010
By Independent Staff

Monday’s snowfall was a precursor of much more snow to come during this winter which has just begun.
Everett property owners must beware.

A state Supreme Court ruling in July regarding slip and fall liability for businesses and homeowners is crystal clear.

Shovel your sidewalks or you’ll risk a suit if a pedestrian slips and falls on them because of ice or snow conditions.

The SJC has said in its ruling that snow is going to be treated as every other hazard is treated in terms of liability.

In other words, in the past, property owners could not be held liable for a natural accumulation of snow falling onto their sidewalks.
As a result of this SJC ruling, property owners must clear their sidewalks of snow and ice as the assumption is that someone could fall on such a surface and hurt themselves.

More importantly, if and when pedestrians file lawsuits against businesses and property owners seeking damages for injuries suffered when falling because of snow or ice, the court has made it clear it will rule for the plaintiffs.

Bottom line, it has never been more important to businesses and to property owners to clear their sidewalks and driveways as well as their stairs after a snowfall or ice storm.

The exceptions to this new ruling will occur, according to the court, when businesses and property owners have made reasonable efforts to clear snow and ice when large accumulations of its are still falling.

In other words, someone who falls on a recently cleared sidewalk can sue but probably won’t prevail if the property owner or businessperson can show that the sidewalk had been recently cleared.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  4:06:03 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jason Marcus acquitted in sexual assault case

After three years of trials and tribulations in the court system Councilor Jason Marcus was acquitted of charges that he groped an Everett salon owner after receiving a haircut in the days following Thanksgiving 2008. The acquittal came last week after a three day trial in Malden District Court. Thus ended a series of events that dramatically altered Marcus’ reputation and led to his retirement from the Board of Alderman.

Marcus has since been elected a councilor. For Marcus, the acquittal was like a breath of new life.

During the three-year ordeal, he suffered serious mental stress and pain.

“I am grateful,” said Marcus of the acquittal. “Justice was done in court. I am an innocent man and always have been. I’m just glad this is over and that I can get back to my life again. “Everyone who knows me and what I am about knows I didn’t assault anyone. Thank God I had great friends who believed in me, who remained by my side throughout this ordeal – and it was an ordeal,” Marcus added.

“I wouldn’t wish what I’ve been through on anyone,” he said. Three years ago, a witness who claimed that he saw Marcus assault a woman who had just cut his hair, set off the whole affair. Longer than a year passed and Marcus was not charged until 2009.

During that year before he was charged Marcus was the subject of a scurrilous hate campaign. He was the subject of discrepant Internet chatter and somehow, con#64257;dential documents about the case were released for public consumption and scrutiny.

What was bad became worse for Marcus, who found it hard to cope with the allegations that had been lodged against him. Ultimately, he was charged with indecent assault and battery.

“Once Mr. Marcus was charged and those papers leaked, it seemed people talked and made up their minds,” said Peter Bellotti, an attorney with the Bellotti Group. According to Bellotti, Marcus was being unfairly tried in the court of public opinion.

“Sometimes, when a man is charged with doing something like this to a woman, assumptions are made about him that go way beyond the charge or facts of the case. We needed to overcome those assumptions and beat the charge and we did,” Bellotti said. Marcus said that the accusation against him nearly ruined his reputation. He said allegations of sexual assault made against him although untrue, were very hurtful and damaging.

He said the acquittal was like a dream come true. He said he respects the police and even the prosecutors.

“But if someone accuses you of something you didn’t do, you still have to see the matter through in court. I just feel relieved that this case is over and behind me,” Marcus said.

By Joshua Resnek
editor@everettindependent.com
Go to Top of Page

streetsmart

37 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  08:46:30 AM  Show Profile Send streetsmart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Independent today picks Carlo Demaria as a sure winner as the next mayor stating that Napolitano has no funding behind him or organization. The mayor is calling this a one man race. When November rolls around they should cast their votes for whomever they believe can best lead the city. It goes on to say that Napolitano is fighting the good fight but he doesn't have the money resources of the mayor, and he doesn't have handsome people organization. and this is a fact.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  09:16:28 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still have not had the paper delivered, so I haven't read the article myself. Picking the mayor as a sure win does not surprise me. I do have issues with the funding comment though. Are the papers implying that Carlo can do whatever he wants because he has a "questionable" war chest and that takes away any persons right to run for that elected seat? That's the way it sounds to me. And shame on the mayor, for being such a pompous ass calling this a one man race. He really has a lot of growing up to do. Why cant he just run a clean and fair campaign instead of throwing his war-chest in people's faces and making stupid comments like that. I have no respect for people like that.

Streetsmart....what does "handsome people organization mean"
Go to Top of Page

streetsmart

37 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  09:21:38 AM  Show Profile Send streetsmart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It means I need a water fall, and looking for an Italian man to make it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2