Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 Everett Independent
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  09:41:27 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the rumors are flying all over the city about Piazza DeMaria on the Parlin Library lawn. Certain Common Council members are already in line over who's doing the work. Those are the people that should keep their damn mouth shut, putting the cart before the horse. I think those members are out of control, abusing the system, and need to be investigated. More so, I think they have mental health issues.

I guarantee, this will not come up until after the election although we know the wheels are in motion. This is truly outrageous.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  10:42:41 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by streetsmart

The Independent today picks Carlo Demaria as a sure winner as the next mayor stating that Napolitano has no funding behind him or organization. The mayor is calling this a one man race. When November rolls around they should cast their votes for whomever they believe can best lead the city. It goes on to say that Napolitano is fighting the good fight but he doesn't have the money resources of the mayor, and he doesn't have handsome people organization. and this is a fact.

I just got the paper delivered. Said "handson" people organization which I believe means, personal participation. I don't understand how anyone can say that. I can say the same thing about Carlo and his headquarters with the tinted windows that you cant see in.
Go to Top of Page

Poli Scientist

52 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  12:00:45 PM  Show Profile Send Poli Scientist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Tails, it was an op-ed by the editors, nothing was said by DeMaria, such as it is a one man race, which it is, but thats besides the point. Second, im sure those windows were tinted long before he rented that place.

Sick of hacks...
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  3:18:50 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't say it's a "one man race",that is so insulting to the voters of Everett. I would say the mayor certainly has the edge in the race. It is still early and anything could happen.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  3:26:15 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Poli Scientist

Hey Tails, it was an op-ed by the editors, nothing was said by DeMaria, such as it is a one man race, which it is, but thats besides the point. Second, im sure those windows were tinted long before he rented that place.

Sick of hacks...

Actually, when I'm wrong I admit it. I went by streetsmart's comment "The mayor is calling this a one man race." and I did not double check it. That sentence was not in that article, unless it was in another.

I do stand by comment that how can the "Independent" make that statement that Peter does not have "handson people organization"

How do they know?? How do they know people are not meeting at homes or whatever. I don't like it when people are reporters and are the one that are supposed to print ACCURATE news, and they "assume" like that? If I recall correctly, The Advocate was warned before and I see the Independent not too far behind. They are trying to be the deciding factor in the election, and that is not fair. I dont like bullies throwing around threats of big war chests. If there's nothing to worry about...why be SO NASTY? That's why I made the comment about the tinted windows.
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  5:08:51 PM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My concern with this is the paper trying to control the election. Hopefully people will not just assume they should follow suit with the paper's comments. The Mayor does have a large war chest which helps with getting info out, but also can show how he spends, spends and spends. Napolitano needs to run a real grass roots campaign and show people that you don't have to spend a lot to succeed and follow through that that is how the administration needs to run this city.
Go to Top of Page

Wildfire132

31 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  10:01:01 PM  Show Profile Send Wildfire132 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just read the Independent today and really enjoyed Napolitano's letter, David versus Goliath. The guy made some good points. I wasn't much of a fan of Napolitano but I'm kinda impressed. He's got my attention.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  2:01:22 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the Independent's original article with a reader's comment.

The Mayor’s Race
June 29, 2011
By Independent Staff

Presently, it is Mayor Carlo DeMaria versus mayoral hopeful Peter Napolitano in what is easily the most important race for elective office in this city.

By every standard of measure, this is a David versus Goliath affair, with Napolitano facing an uphill battle of significant proportion.

DeMaria is the clear bet to gain another term.

Napolitano is the clear underdog by a wide margin.

Despite that reality, both men are campaigning with seriousness.

For his part, the mayor is leaving no stone unturned.

He is campaigning vigorously. Like the real time politician and leader he has become, DeMaria considers Napolitano a threat and goes about his re-election effort with that in mind.

For his part, Napolitano is fighting the good fight.

He doesn’t have the financial resources of the mayor and his doesn’t have the handson people organization. And this fact puts him at a serious disadvantage.

The other, more formidable disadvantage facing Napolitano is that the mayor has done a good job of leading this city during a very difficult economic period and more than this, DeMaria remains quite popular, and polling will reveal this as well.

Nevertheless, the mayor’s race remains just that, a race.

Voters are urged to weigh and measure what the candidates have to say and to form their opinions reasonably on that basis.

When November rolls around, they should cast their vote for whomever they believe can best lead this city.

We know this is what will happen in Everett where voters are discriminating and can recognize good leadership and a track record.

Michael Steiner
I find it very hard to believe that this city is shining in the glow of Pax DeMaria. Even in the high points of Mayor McCarthy and Ragucci's popularity that was bolstered by papers- that an upstart editor named Resnik called shills(Leader for McCarthy- Advocate for Ragucci); there weren't seeds of discontent and opposition afoot. I can remember another Councillor from Ward 2 - Barry Erickson- who nobody gave any chance came some 800 plus votes shy of a major upset. This encouraged David Ragucci in soundly defeating McCarthy the very next election. Another more seasoned candidate- John Hanlon- took a seemingly unstoppable Ragucci to two very close calls- and finally defeat. In both cases- their champion Paper laid claims that Everett was in the best of times- that their Mayor was highly popular - and that it was a David vs Goliath election. So now; even conceding the fact that Napolitano has a very formidable task- that indeed- the Mayor may prevail...this time...let us not forget the lessons of being too smug, cocky , and presumptive can cost any overwhelming and supposedly popular and untouchable Mayor. If Napolitano does lose- let's remember that the average number of terms of office in recent years has been three. It is VERY important that no one take anything for granted - especially the voters...and that we get a huge turnout for this coming election. Not just for the Mayoral election - but there is an extremely important Charter Revision on the ballot - that as many as possible should participate in. So- in closing- things are ALWAYS seldom what they are declared to be by any paper's standards. At the very least, Peter Napolitano- if he doesn't win; will be planting the seeds for the next Mayor...No one is immortal- especially in Everett.....Pax De Maria? Don't think so........Respectfully submitted - Michael Steiner
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  2:50:32 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the response to the Independent's Pax DeMaria article.

David vs Goliath

After reading the editorial on the Everett Mayoral race in last week’s Everett Independent newspaper, it sounds like they are telling me to just pack it in and go fishing. That is until I read their reference to me as an underdog. We in New England are well familiar with underdogs: for example all our major professional sports teams have gone on to win championships when we least expected it. The role of an underdog is far harder than his opponent. An underdog has to work harder and smarter to overcome adversity and be the challenger that we all root for. We all know how we feel about an underdog.

So I welcome their opinion on this one issue, but I disagree with most of the rest. I am sure that the newspaper's opinion on how great a job the Mayor has been doing might be different if they were a business owner in Everett paying a Commercial tax rate of $43.74 per thousand instead of the Revere Commercial tax rate of $29.30 per thousand. Both Malden ($23.68 per thousand) and Medford’s ($22.98 per thousand) commercial tax rates are even lower so I am sure that many Everett businesses would also disagree. The issues here are not how clean & beautiful the City of Everett looks. To survive these tough economic times, a leader has to know the difference between what you need and what you want. When you try to do everything all at once, the taxpayers foot the bill. Too many people in this community are having a tough time making ends meet due to the poor economy. Leadership is knowing when to tighten the belt in a fair way to all the taxpayers.

Let me give you an example of one of the fundamental differences between the Mayor and myself on how we view government. At the recent Ward 6 Neighborhood meeting, the Mayor was asked about the cost of the renovation of Everett Stadium particularly the purchase of bleachers for the visitor’s side of the stadium which cost $247,000. dollars to purchase versus $14,000. dollars to rent. When a resident commented that she felt that we could put off that purchase, the Mayor’s response was that the Stadium renovations were costing the taxpayers nothing because the money was coming from the sale of the old City Yards. The truth is that this was not a free deal for the taxpayers at all. The appropriation for renovations to the Stadium was $3 million dollars in which the City would receive $500,000. dollars from a grant and the remaining $2.5 million dollars came from the sale. The sale of taxpayer owned property (the old City Yard) resulted in taxpayers’ money which was, in turn, spent on the Stadium. Some of that money might have been better spent elsewhere like fixing streets, parks, sidewalks or at the very least, to lower the tax levy. Leadership includes managing limited resources efficiently and knowing when to say “no” to frivolous and unnecessary projects.

In closing, I thank the Independent newspaper for their concern that we have an uphill battle in this important race. Be assured that we are working hard for the taxpayer. We are in it to win it for the good of the City. They are right, this is a David versus Goliath affair. But be reminded who won that fight, it was the underdog….David. Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,
Councilor Peter A. Napolitano
Candidate for Mayor
Go to Top of Page

Poli Scientist

52 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  3:09:47 PM  Show Profile Send Poli Scientist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why does a guy who resides in Yonkers, New York care about a mayors race in Everett?

Sick of hacks...
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  3:25:28 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why does a guy who resides in Yonkers, New York care about a mayors race in Everett?

Sick of hacks...

I've often wondered the same thing myself. Who is this very vocal guy and how come his editorials get in our papers, all the way from...... Yonkers??
Go to Top of Page

Fran

250 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  09:10:00 AM  Show Profile Send Fran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Steiner used to live in Everett were he ran for Common Council Ward 2 a couple of times. Headed some type of Everett Beautification Group that tried to keep Burdit Lane clean in Glendale Square.
Go to Top of Page

Poli Scientist

52 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  3:47:05 PM  Show Profile Send Poli Scientist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone read Councilor Napolitano's letter in the paper? He has no idea what he is talking about. He asked "What happens if the Mayor pushes the budget each year to the maximum amount he can legally increase it to, like the current Administration has done for the last three years?". Only problem here is that the budget has been under the levy limit for the past three years. It is close to $800,000 under this year. Was he asleep at this meeting too? Or just trying to spin things?

He may mean business, but to me, it seams like business as usual.

Sick of hacks...

Edited by - Poli Scientist on 07/21/2011 3:50:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  4:13:38 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyone read Councilor Napolitano's letter in the paper? He has no idea what he is talking about. He asked "What happens if the Mayor pushes the budget each year to the maximum amount he can legally increase it to, like the current Administration has done for the last three years?". Only problem here is that the budget has been under the levy limit for the past three years. It is close to $800,000 under this year. Was he asleep at this meeting too? Or just trying to spin things?

He may mean business, but to me, it seams like business as usual.

Sick of hacks...

For some reason I dont always get the Wednesday paper. Is it a long article to post?
Go to Top of Page

Poli Scientist

52 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  8:19:42 PM  Show Profile Send Poli Scientist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There seems to be some confusion as to what the current financial state of Everett is. Are we truly moving forward? That depends on what you define as moving forward. Why are businesses moving out of Everett or closing their doors forever? What does it mean when some of Everett’s oldest families who had once invested back into our community are placing their properties up for sale and leaving our City? Read the signs - literally. The heavy commercial tax burden is the root of the problem and the residential tax rate is not far behind. Maybe some people consider that moving forward but I think it’s moving backwards. The Tax rate seems to be the number one concern of most of the people I have spoken to. So how is the tax rate determined? The Mayor creates a budget, which determines how much money he needs to operate the City and any projects he wishes to complete. Simply, the Mayor must decide what he needs and what he wants for the City. The tricky part is that he must do this keeping in mind what you the taxpayers and residents can afford. What happens if the Mayor pushes the budget each year to the maximum amount he can legally increase it to, like the current Administration has done for the last three years? Your taxes increase as they have for the last three years. Did you ever think it would be so expensive to live in Everett?

The budget determines the tax levy, which is the amount needed to be raised to fund the budget. So what is in the Mayor’s budget? A major part of the budget is made up of fixed costs like insurance, retirement benefits and education (education costs are regulated by the State and the City contributes the bare minimum allowed by law). During the recent Budget Hearings, some of us on the City Council tried to reduce or eliminate $1.2 million dollars that the Mayor stated he wanted to use to repair all the sidewalks and $250,000 for parks and playground renovations.

Please do not misunderstand me. I am not against these projects. The Mayor was told that he could come before the City Council and ask for an appropriation from the $9 million dollar stabilization fund, which already belongs to the taxpayers instead of adding $1.2 million dollars to the tax levy. The Mayor’s response was that $1.2 million dollars is an insignificant amount of money.

I ask you, to whom? Certainly not to the taxpayers. If your rent or mortgage or even your taxes increase $100 today, is that significant to you? That is another fundamental difference between the Mayor and me. I understand, like many of you, what it is like to be a victim of the economy.

In closing, the Mayor may believe that I mean well as he stated in the paper a few weeks ago, but I mean business. The best person to run this city is the person who can manage the City without creating an undue financial hardship on the very people they represent. I want to move the City forward by making the hard choices. Too much is at stake. We need a City that is not just a clean and safe community but also an affordable place to live. Who ever thought it would be so expensive to live in Everett. Not you. Not I.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sick of hacks...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2