Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Announcements
 Com Council/2009
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Marie

114 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  11:37:07 AM  Show Profile Send Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On another issue. What was the mayor thinking? Last night was for the EPD and EFD retirees. It was not about him. Is he so single minded that he can't let others have their own moment in the spotlight? The mayor's crack about gold watch's and standing ovations was out of line.

Talk about someone who doesn't know how to speak and act in public! The mayor is a poster boy for what not to do at the podium.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  11:51:07 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has to stop. He's using that podium for his campaign and it's tiresome and not fair. He told Simonelli to stick to the subject......HE SHOULD TALK.

That dog and pony show between him and Rosa was just sickening. They were supposed to be talking about the transfers and restoring positions (temporarily) and scatter brain wanders off to the budget.

I haven't seen the budget, but saying the budget was cut by 1 million dollars, "I believe" that statement is not accurate. I hear the budget, as given, was 900,000+ less; HOWEVER..... they put everyone back to work so the 900,000+ goes back on. SPLITTING HAIRS, BUT NOT ACCURATE. I could be wrong, but we'll see.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  12:50:07 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were a few moments of info last night. Larry DeCoste said we had $5 Million in Free Cash before last night's transfers.

The mayor said there might be a 4 to 5% property tax increase, although he is hoping for no tax increase.

The money from the sale of the Devens School is in.

And the latest for lower Broadway........a light Industrial Park.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

kimmy

32 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  1:29:35 PM  Show Profile Send kimmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw what everyones raving about and blame goes all around. from reading comments and seeing for myself I have to say when someone is talking that is between them and the president. The president Stephen Simenelli and Peter Napolitano all need to be warned. The president for taking sides and not telling Peter Napolitano to wait Stephen Simenelli for talking off subject and Peter for lashing out. Maybe the other councilor Corneilio to. I read about him yelling and he did yell. They all owe people sorry's not just Stephen Simenelli.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  12:41:56 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
REGULAR MEETING OF THE COMMON COUNCIL, MONDAY, JUNE 1, 2009, 7:00 PM, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, 3RD FL., EVERETT, MASSACHUSETTS

COMMUNICATIONS FROM HIS HONOR THE MAYOR

C0112-09 Ordinance/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President-That Chapter 7, Section 7-164 of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, "Amounts for Administrative Officers" is hereby amended by authorizing the salary ranges of Administrative Officers effective July 1, 2010, as follows:
Position Minimum Maximum
City Auditor $77,064 $88,432
City Solicitor $72,357 $83,032
Treasurer $67,865 $77,967
Board of Assessors
Chairman $21,300 $21,300
2nd Member $ 5,000 $ 5,000
3rd Member $ 5,000 $ 5,000
Board of Health
Chairman $1,200 $1,200
2nd Member $1,000 $1,000
3rd Member $1,000 $1,000
Licensing Board
Chairman $1,800 $1,800
2nd Member $1,200 $1,200
3rd Member $1,200 $1,200
Board of Public Works
Chairman $1,800 $1,800
2nd Member $1,000 $1,000
3rd Member $1,000 $1,000
4th Member $1,000 $1,000
5th Member $1,000 $1,000
6th Member $1,000 $1,000
7th Member $1,000 $1,000

C0113-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
That the following revolving accounts be authorized in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 44, Section 53E 1/2, in the amounts not to exceed those set forth below; these accounts may be collected and expended by the designated City Officials, for the specified purposes during Fiscal Year 2010: Expenditure Purpose: Receipts: Responsible City Officials: FY '09 Limit: FY '10 Limit: Summer Camp, Related Fees, Mayor's Office, $50,000, $50,000; Recycling, Recycling Bins, City Services, $15,000, $15,000; Postage, Postage/Shipping Fees, Library Director, $750, $750; Preschool, Tuition & related fees, School Committee, $75,000, $75,000, Fire Department Hazmat, Hazmat Training Supplies, Fire Department $5,000, $5,000; Program for Disable People, Related Fees/Donations, Disability Commission, $2,000, $2,000; Hearings and Legal Notices, Related Fees, Board of Appeals, $22,000, $20,000; School Building Maintenance, Utilities, Custodial, OT & Related Expenditures, Rental Fees for School Building/cell tower usage, School Committee, $25,000, $25,000; Maintenance of Armory and Rec Center, User Fees, Rec Department, $10,000, $10,000; Council on Aging Programs, Participating Council on Aging Programs, Council on Aging, $55,000, $55,000; Everett Emergency Medical Services System, Ambulance Fees, Fire Department, $5,000, $5,000; Instructor salaries, course Materials, custodian and maintenance in operating Evening School Program, Tuition and Fees related to Evening School Program, School Committee, $15,000, $15,000; Rec Department Banner Ads, Fees for placement of advertising banners, Rec Department, $15,000, $15,000; Cross Connection Control Program Costs, Fees for inspecting and testing of back flow prevention valves, City Services Commission, $10,000, $10,000; Supplies and materials related to Vocational Division at EHS, Fees and charges for material and services, School Committee, $25,000, $25,000; Summer School instructional salaries, course materials, custodians, Tuition and Fees, School Committee, $25,000, $25,000; Everett Literacy Program, materials, salaries & supplies, Fees, Donations and Grant Funds, Director of Human Services, $250,000, $20,000; Hearing Notices/Legal Notices, Related Fees, Board of Licensing Commission, $2,500, $2,500; Programs related to professional development, Fees, School Committee, $10,000, $10,000; Youth Commission, Fees, Gifts and Promotional Sales, Youth Commission, $5,000, $5,000; Cable TV Tape Duplicating, Fees, ECTV Director, $1,000, $1,000.

C0114-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To transfer $8,000.00 from the City Council Celebration Account into the Mayor's Official Celebrations Account to keep the funds together in one account for city celebrations.

PAPERS FROM THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN

A0162-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
To accept the donation of $200.00 from the following people to the Mayor's Office of Human Services-Gift Account to be used to support the Everett Literacy Program for Everett Residents: Pauline J. English $100.00, Student of the Everett Literacy Program $100.00. (Passed sent down for concurrence)

A0163-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
To accept the donation of $1,716.50 from the following people to the Mayor's Office of Human Services-Gift Account to support the Everett Literacy Program for Everett Residents: Students of the Everett Literacy Program $1,396.50, Anthony & Anna Avakian $50.00, Brian J. Dell'Arciprete $50.00, Janina Garra & Brian Duplisea $50.00, Stephen Smith $50.00, Elizabete & Claudete Alcantara $100.00, and Carol Hughes $20.00. (Passed sent down for concurrence)

A0131-09 Ordinance/s/Aldermen Salvatore Sachetta and L. Charles DiPerri
An Ordinance creating a Home Occupation Permit and process.
(Ordained sent down for ordainment)

A0141-09 Order/s/Alderman Michael K. Marchese
Favorable recommendation from the Department of Veteran Services-To dedicate the corner of Plumber and Mansfield Street in honor of Wesley A. Carpenter Jr., a WWII Veteran who worked for the Fire Department for thirty years. (Communication accepted, Order passed sent down for concurrence)

A0150-09 Ordinance/s/Aldermen L. Charles DiPerri, Robert Van Campen, Sal Sachetta and Jason Marcus
That The Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, Chapter 18, Traffic and Motor Vehicles; Article II, Traffic Safety and Parking Commission; Section 18-41. Organization, Term of Chairperson, Compensation, is hereby amended by adding the words “a fully empowered” after the words “There is established” and before the words Traffic Safety and Parking Commission. Also Article II Section 18-44. Powers and duties, is further amended by deleting the words “review all proposed ordinances and issues to the City Council an official recommendation regarding said ordinances in” after the words “The Commission shall” and before the words “matters pertaining to” and is further amended by inserting the words “regulate all” after the words “The Commission shall” and before the words “matters pertaining to”.
And is further amended by deleting subsection (b) from Article II Section 18-44. Powers and duties. And is further amended by deleting Section 18-145. City Council acceptance of recommendations. Article II, Traffic Safety and Parking Commission; Section 18-182. Exclusion of heavy and commercial vehicles; is further amended by deleting subsections (4) and (5).
The purpose of this amendment is to create a fully empowered traffic commission to establish a more efficient process for all traffic regulations.
All Ordinances or parts of Ordinances in conflict with the foregoing are hereby repealed. (Enrolled sent down for enrollment.)

COMMUNICATIONS

C0077-09 Communication
Negative Communication from the School Committee relative to Resolution/s/Councilor Peter Napolitano, that the School Committee reconsider funding the School Crossing Guard Program, for reasons cited in letter dated May 13, 2009.

C0078-09 Communication
Favorable response from Mass Highway relative to Resolution offered by Councilor Peter Napolitano-That Mass Highway fill the potholes on Route 16, Everett, in front of 1763 Revere Beach Parkway, at the request of local businesses.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

C0084-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Rosa DiFlorio
That all signs in the City being tampered with graffiti, and anyone that gets caught doing so, be made to do community service and remove the graffiti themselves. (5/4 Referred to City Solicitor for feasibility of establishing an Ordinance.)

A0311-08 Ordinance/s/Alderman Robert J. Van Campen
Rules & Ordinances Committee Report -That the City of Everett enact a "Social Host Responsibility" Ordinance thereby prohibiting the services to and consumption of alcoholic beverages and drugs by persons under the age of twenty-one (21) at private premises located within the City. (Enrolled sent down for enrollment); with a recommendation for favorable action pending the Assistant City Solicitor's opinion on the legality of incorporating community service into the penalty provision of ordinance. (5/18 Laid on table to invite Alderman Van Campen to appear on the matter this meeting.)

C0097-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Stephen Simonelli
To invite the Community Development Director, along with a member of the Police Graffiti Unit, to appear at the next meeting June 1st, to give their opinion on using graffiti in a positive direction, that is, having a graffiti art show, similar to what other cities are doing. (5-18 Referred to Community Development Director and Sgt. O'Malley from Police Graffiti Unit to appear this meeting)

C0099-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Rosa DiFlorio
To invite the Police Chief to attend next meeting June 1st to discuss the duties of the animal control officer with regards to numerous complaints of dog feces. (5-18 Referred to Police Chief to attend this meeting)

NEW BUSINESS

C0106-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
That the Board of Health go to each elderly complex in the City to explain the bed bug issue and that they give out dated materials or information on this to the residents of 381 Ferry Street, Glendale Towers, as there have been many complaints still, and they are asking to have something done about this matter now, not after the budget hearings.

C0107-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Catherine Tomassi Hicks
Covers around fence be replaced, as neighbors complaining about dust blowing around, having to close their windows at the Waters Ave Project area. Refer to the Building Department.

C0108-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Cynthia Sarnie
That the Chief of Police increase visibility, especially Friday and Saturday nights, in the area of the 7 Acre Park, due to drinking and broken bottles in the Park.

C0109-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Cynthia Sarnie
Mayor appear to discuss the senior work program to help pay some of their taxes; how the program works; and is limited space available.

C0110-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Cynthia Sarnie
To invite Community Development to discuss what is going on at the Waters Ave Project.

C0111-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
That the Chief of Police increase patrols in the Glendale Square area on weekends during the hours of 10:00 p.m. until 2:00 a.m. due to recent activity in that area, and a number of complaints on Ferry Street, Timothy Ave, 381 Ferry Street-Glendale Towers, and Walgreen's parking lot areas.

Adjourn

Respectfully submitted:
Everett City Council Office,
council@ci.everett.ma.us

SCHEDULED MEETINGS:

6/2 6:00PM Committee of Whole on Budget 2010
6/8 6:30PM License Committee Meeting
6/8 7:00PM Board of Aldermen Meeting
6/15 7:00PM Common Council Meeting
6/16 6:00PM Bills & Accounts Committee Meeting
6/16 6:00PM Tentative Ward Two Neighborhood Meeting
6/22 7:00PM Board of Aldermen Meeting

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  2:07:24 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On item 1, who is the chairman and two members on the BOH?

I have to speak out on item 12 about enacting a "Social Host Responsibility" Ordinance.

It’s just common sense, and I don’t understand why certain individuals would be against an ordinance like this. We have too many latch key parents, unsupervised kids, gangs, and it’s really getting out of control. The partying is getting out of control and with the summer months coming, let’s try and do something now.

If I had a child 19 or 20, and they pulled a chair out from behind someone, and that person got hurt……….guess what?……."I" ….as a parent, am responsible, and I (as the parent) will have to pay medical expenses and everything else.

I had a friend that called the police on a Friday night because of loud underage parting and the police said they were busy and would get there when they can. This will only help the police.

My friend is a hard working person and is a taxpayer in this community that had to go to work the next day. That’s not right and not fair. It’s common sense. Anyone not in favor of this is not helping the people that do the right thing and is endorsing the latch key parents in the city. We will be giving these wild teens carte blanche.

With an ordinance like this, someone may think twice, and it could save a life too of an under -aged child that thinks they are invincible or someone innocent that happens to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

I know myself as a parent, if one of my children EVER did this, and I was affected by this ordinance……….I guarantee it would never happen again. Let’s try and give the citizens that do the right thing the peace and serenity they deserve........and anyone voting against it, is only endorsing this type of behavior.

On item 14, I agree. When I was out walking there was feces, it was disgusting and I never see the dog officer. Get the chief up there, and enough is enough. Same people - same time – same place – NO dog officer and the people just walking have to plow through the feces on the sidewalks.

On item 20, how many times does that Walgreens have to be on the agenda to get something done? I’m not blaming Leo for putting it on, because Walgreens has become a HUGE hangout and very scary in the evenings, and will only get worse as the weather warms.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  2:15:29 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On item #1, are any of these salaries different from last year? Anyone know?

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  5:39:16 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Normally, I'd wait until Sunday to post my agenda comments; but, since Massdee asked, I'll comment on Item #1.

First, the only salary ranges that have been changed are for the Auditor, Solicitor and Treasurer. The current ranges for these positions, last changed in 2007, are as follows:

City Auditor minimum $74,819.51, maximum $85,856.04
City Solicitor minimum $70,249.12, maximum $80,613.57
City Treasurer minimum $65,888.68, maximum $75,696.58

None of these positions are scheduled for a pay raise in the FY10 budget. We've been told that no department heads will be getting raises this year. If you compare the FY09 and FY10 budgets, that's not quite true as a blanket statement. One discrepancy in this area was found and corrected already but one was not; we'll see what shakes out of the budget review process before commenting on this any further though.

The two of three positions that would be affected by this change are budgeted well within their current ranges. The City Solicitor position is actually budgeted at $2.43 more than allowed by the ordinance. Probably a rounding issue, not necessarily what she's paid, but...

The most interesting part of this piece, the way it is written, is that it is not scheduled to be implemented until July 1, 2010. I'm not sure why they are spending time on this now if that date is correct and no raises are budgeted either. If past practice holds, the item may get referred out to the Administrative Affairs Committee. If that happens, it will not be possible for the item to make it thru four readings before July 1st anyways without holding additional special meetings. If it is not passed by June 30th of this year, it can't be implemented until July 1, 2010, the beginning of the next fiscal year, per Section 43 of the City Charter.

Don't get it.

But if anyone cares, it appears that this time, we were probably provided with the complete list of salaries that are set by ordinance. These are the only administrative positions defined in the City Charter (Section 35) and Section 43 of the charter requires that the salaries of these administrative positions be set by ordinance as well as the time frame in which they need to be done as described above.
Go to Top of Page

michael

195 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  04:18:16 AM  Show Profile Send michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
do you ever feel it's the same agenda over and over again, this is why c.c. and b.o.a need to be abolished 4 readings 2 of each branch it's crazy. Nothing ever moves in this city.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  11:01:44 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was anyone aware that there was a special meeting of the Common Council Thursday night prior to the budget meeting? There was only one item on the agenda, the $2 million loan for the Parlin School. I guess they wanted to take advantage of the fact that the School Committee and the School Department were scheduled to be at the City Hall that night, as well as a packed, pro schools audience. Of course, the item passed. The meeting report on the city web site doesn't indicate what the vote was but it would be hard to imagine anyone voting against it. Reconsideration failed. I only became aware of this from the ECTV listings. Replays are scheduled this weekend. It didn't even dawn on me that this item was missing from the CC agenda for Monday night.
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2009 :  12:52:15 AM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By Charter and Ordinance the salaries of the three aboveforementioned individuals must be addressed in that manner. All other department heads can be dealt with via the budget. However the City Solicitor, the Treasurer, the City Auditor and the Chairman of the Board of Assessors must all be done through this Ordinance procedure.

It is done annually as are the range of fees and special accounts allowed to be in existance by various departments charged within the city. That should be coming next. Historically it is done in June, prior to the new, upcoming fiscal year.

"Cruller DaHville"
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2009 :  12:57:40 AM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ALSO....... the salarie schedules of all city employees; including, administrators, clerks, city service employees, etc. need to be presented and accepted annually. All the steps are adjusted, annually to reflect particular increases for individuals existing in those spots.

"Cruller DaHville"
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2009 :  4:33:40 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was able to catch a replay of the special Common Council meeting from Thursday night and I was glad that I did. Because of it, I was able to answer a question I had about the Parlin loan and other basic questions about it that I hadn't even (but should have) considered.

This is the same loan was was authorized for the School Department last year. But according to MGL (Chapter 44, Section 7), a two-thirds vote is required to authorize the debt. The law doesn't state whether it is a two-thirds vote of the members present or a two-thirds vote of the entire body. I'm going to go out on a limb to say that's two-thirds of the body since I don't recall anyone voting against this last year. A vote was taken on the loan at a special meeting of the Common Council on June 26, 2008 and it's probably likely that less than 12 members showed up for that meeting. Can't tell though because the meeting reports posted on the city website don't list attendance or vote totals; they probably should.

Thanks go out to Councilor Bruno for asking the question. She was also asked about the terms of the loan (20 years, principal repayment of $100,000 per year) and the interest rate (the Mayor didn't know it off the top of his head). The question was not asked whether any provisions need to be made for it in the FY10 budget though; it doesn't appear that any were.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2009 :  09:33:33 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple more things about this item. I'm glad that complete information was provided about this item (and the next item as well, for that matter). Maybe someone finally gets it that some of us (or me at least) have a thirst for as much information about city government that we can get our hands on. The only issue that I have with this item in particular is that it was hard for someone to sort out what was being changed if they didn't know where to look. Oh, well! One step at a time.

I made the statement above that this item contained complete information about revolving accounts. Well, it's pretty obvious that one of the most prominent revolving funds that we hear about regularly, the parking meter receipts account, isn't on the list. I believe that there two types of revolving accounts and this list only represent one type. According to MGL Chapter 44, Section 53E 1/2, "expenditures may be made from such revolving fund without further appropriation." Whenever appropriations are made from the other type of revolving fund, city council approval is needed. Also, according to MGL Chapter 44, Section 53E 1/2, the dollar imitation placed on these accounts refers to the amount of money that can be spent from these accounts, not to the amount of money that can be kept in these accounts, as I believe that we have been told in the past. However, it is likely though that these accounts won't have much more money in them than they are allowed to spend in a year anyways.

For those of you who may want to know what changes are being made to these accounts are without reading the entire item, I have located those changes for you. The Board of Appeals' Hearings and Legal Notices account's expenditure limit is being reduced from $22,000 to $20,000 and the Human Services' Literacy Program account's expenditure limit is being reduced from $250,000 to $20,000. And, of course, you'd probably wouldn't be surprised if I'd find an issue with the item. Well, I did. According to agendas when it was set last year (BOA 10/27/2008 and CC 11/05/2008), the expenditure limit for the Fire Department Hazmat Training Materials account was set at $10,000 for FY09, not $5,000 as this item lists it. So that's really a change as well.

It's about time this Celebration money got moved. They tried to do this as far back as last year's budget and then it got dropped until now.

Let's see if the usual group of obstructionists on the City Council fall in line with Alderman Matewsky and attempt to block a fully empowered Traffic Commission; I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen. If the item dies, that would be a shame. A similar approach seemed to work out for handicapped parking and the Disability Commission after an administrative issue was corrected (they weren't given a budget in the beginning); I don't see why it wouldn't work with the Traffic Commission as well.

Though it was not exactly what he asked for, I think Councilor Napolitano was resigned to accept the answer that he got from FFF the last time. It is probably correct that the School Committee replied as requested though. Let's just hope that this item doesn't set off a firestorm again.

So, Mass Highway will take care of the Parkway but not Lower Broadway. Both are state roads. I just don't get the distinction.

I like the idea of the person responsible for it removing the graffiti; but, as I said the last time, how many of them actually get caught?

Let's hope that the Council gets it this time. This ordinance is aimed at adults that are taking the law into their own hands and providing alcoholic beverages and drugs to under age persons. There may be an issue or two that needs to be talked out but this seems to be the right thing to do.

I think that it’s a good idea to empower the Code Enforcement officers to write tickets for these infractions if they came across them in the course of the their normal "duties" (I'll keep the bad pun going.) But, it probably won't put much of a dent in the actual problem. Code Enforcement probably has enough to do without going out to look for these infractions.

I'm having problems with this item; I have an idea what it's all about but it's not really written all that well. And it's a little pushy too. I don't know why the budget hearings would get in the way of addressing this issue and the budget hearings are over Tuesday anyways.

It seems like this was intended to be a worksheet item but there is no worksheet this week. Wouldn't the developer be responsible for this issue anyways?

Oh, to be young and stupid again. Wouldn't the 7 Acre Park seem to be the perfect place to go to drink if it were around back in the day? How can the police be expected to patrol it without devoting a body or two to it since it's so far off the beaten track and hard to get to?

Is this kind of item that belongs on the agenda? It seems as if it would be better suited to an informational ECTV show. Mayor Ragucci and Mayor Hanlon, to a less extent, both had these types of cable shows. Why not Mayor DeMaria?

If the Waters Ave Project could get back on track, it would be a great help to the city's tax base, at some point. I guess that the economy is a little better; let's hope that it's enough to get this project going again.

Councilor McKinnon needs to make up his mind. A couple of months ago, he was pushing to keep the bars opened later. Now, he wants to step up police presence in the area that probably would have been most affected by that change. I think that the police chief has already agreed to step up patrols in the area. I guess this item just helps to refine the time frame when these additional patrols may be most needed.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  07:12:21 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last night was a prime example of why there should not be any other commission/board/committee meetings scheduled at the same time as City Council meetings.

Why do the Common Council members feel that they need to shout over one another to propose actions on pieces? It's just childish.

And as much as we bag on Councilor Billy Cardello for wanting to control the meetings from the floor, what was up with Councilor DiFlorio tonight? Her pieces weren't more important than anyone else's. The Assistant City Solicitor wasn't going anywhere; there's supposed to be representation from the solicitor's office for the entire meeting.

OK, the piece got modified so it takes effect this July 1 rather than next year. I still don't get. If they wanted to adjust the City Solicitor's maximum salary slightly so that she is not slightly out of range. I wouldn't have a problem. Other than that, it's unnecessary unless the administration thinks it's going hand out raises in the middle of year; there are none that were budgeted though. I just think that dealing with these increases at this time, if nothing else, just gives a bad impression. I doubt that the piece will fly thru the BOA as easily.

Authorizing these accounts is a no-brainer. I didn't expect any of them to find the error that I described in my pre-meeting comments; I doubt that the BOA will either. I don't think it's a really big deal though; I think that the prior year amounts are just given for comparison purposes, to help them to understand what they are voting on. And we all know that there are times when the council really isn't sure what they are voting on.

Now that it has passed, I guess that we'll have to wait until the Home Occupation ordinance gets printed in the paper before we see it. How many weeks does that take again Alderman Matewsky?

I have to say that I'm somewhat surprised that there wasn't more opposition to creating a fully empowered traffic commission. Not everyone that I thought might be against it was MIA when they voted on it. Not really sure why they voted for reconsideration on it; it was only being enrolled.

I can understand that if someone got an admitted wrong answer to a question about this piece while it was in committee, that they might have a hard time letting go of their issues. But, this ordinance sounds so straight forward that I can't understand why they don't get it by now. The penalty for the first offense is a warning. You think that if someone got caught doing this more than once, that they don't deserve a fine? Poor Joe King; he's lucky that he's from a ward that doesn't have much in the way of competition for his seat. Kay Hicks? Every issue lately has to include some other issue of hers in it. Why doesn't she try her hand at writing her own ordinances for her issues? Now that would be something to see!

I'm glad than Councilor DiFlorio doesn't expect empowering Code Enforcement to write these tickets to be the answer to this problem. Changing (and varying) the dog officer's hours might help but announcing them to the community probably defeats the purpose of it though. Cutting back on her hours is not going to make the problem any better.

As I said in my pre-meeting comments, this really wasn't a item that needed to be discussed at a council meeting; it's press release material. Good program though.

Sorry that the update on the Waters Ave project got referred back to sponsor. It would be nice to know what's going on there. Projects that add to the tax base are very important, especially now.

This was an item that was worthy of being added under suspension? Didn't Council McKinnon and Alderman Matewsky already ask for some other things to be included in the next water bill? Second request, BTW. Just how much stuff to they expect to fit into that envelope?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2