Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Announcements
 Com Council/2009
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  3:04:39 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This dog feces issue is starting to give me flashbacks of Best Buy. If the dog officer could not get the job done when she was full time, do you think for a second that she will get the job done when she’s part-time? Who the heck speaks to the Chief of Police for 1 1/2 hours over dog feces? I’m sure the Chief can’t answer questions about code enforcement, but should have an idea of the union issues that would pertain to this.

I thought questions were going to be asked like “how many” tickets have been written and “how much” has been collected. I just don’t think this system works.

The idea about code enforcement writing tickets was okay, but then you have too many cooks in the kitchen. I also believe code enforcement will end up doing it all. I don’t believe it’s going to be okay with the union, but I could be wrong. I don’t think you can go and change a job description like that……but I’m no expert.

An idea for the future might be to create a by-law and consolidate one office that has to do with all animals, domestic and wildlife, maybe in the police station. Instead of the clerk’s office doing the licensing and the dog tags, this one office does it all, and maybe is staffed by a trained professional. You need the right person to do this. Stimulus money might be able to help.

Edited by - Tails on 06/02/2009 3:05:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

michael

195 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  06:26:31 AM  Show Profile Send michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah did you see the c.c from ward four who has been silent all these years and needs the insurance tell them to put her back full time thats because when he owned the alamo she ate there for free,

I agree with you tails, I would of love to been a fly on the wall for that conversation for an hour and half. Now she can go shopping at nite on tues and thurs they need to put gps on her truck to see if she is really doing her job.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  12:20:23 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA

REGULAR MEETING OF THE COMMON COUNCIL, MONDAY, JUNE 15, 2009, 7:00 PM, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, 3RD FL., EVERETT, MASS

COMMUNICATIONS FROM HIS HONOR THE MAYOR
1. C0123-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $50.00 from Mrs. Patricia Garofano to the Vietnam Veterans Association to the Department of Veterans Services Gift Account to be used by the Veteran's Department to supplement their gift account.

PAPERS FROM THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN
2. A0173-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
To transfer $245,000.00 from the City Services Salary Account into the following City Services Accounts: $100,000 to Refuse Collection, $104,000 to Wheelabrator Account and $41,000 to the Recycle Disposal Account. These transfers are necessary due to a contractual issue that is currently being discussed with Capital ($100,000), for an increase in the amount of trash picked up within the City ($104,000), and for the disposal related to recyclables due to the drop in the commodities market. (Passed sent down for concurrence)

3. A0174-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
To transfer $30,500.00 from Unemployment Compensation Account into the following accounts: $8,000 to Medicare Taxes Account, $16,000.00 to Treasurer/Collector Salary Account, $5,900.00 to City Clerk's Salary Account, and $600.00 to City Clerk's Miscellaneous Election Expenses Account. These transfers are necessary due to anticipated shortfalls in each account. (Passed sent down for concurrence)

4. A0175-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
To accept the donation of $100.00 from the Vietnam Veterans Association to the Department of Veterans Services Gift Account. This donation will be used by the Veteran's Department to supplement their gift account. (Passed sent down for concurrence)

5. A0176-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
To transfer $900.00 from the Veterans' Benefit Allowance Account into the Overtime Account. This was needed due to the many Saturday/Monday Holidays worked by the Clerk in the Veteran's Department and for longevity due her. (Passed sent down for concurrence)

6. C0112-09 Ordinance/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
That Chapter 7, Section 7-164 of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, "Amounts for Administrative Officers" is hereby amended by authorizing the salary ranges of Administrative Officers effective July 1, 2010. (Amended by deleting "July 1, 2010" and inserting "July 1, 2009") (Enrolled, as amended, in concurrence, sent down for ordainment, as amended.)

7. A0150-09 Ordinance/s/Aldermen L. Charles DiPerri, Robert Van Campen, Sal Sachetta and Jason Marcus
That The Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, Chapter 18, Traffic and Motor Vehicles; Article II, Traffic Safety and Parking Commission; Section 18-41. Organization, Term of Chairperson, Compensation, is hereby amended by adding the words “a fully empowered” after the words “There is established” and before the words Traffic Safety and Parking Commission. Also Article II Section 18-44. Powers and duties, is further amended by deleting the words “review all proposed ordinances and issues to the City Council an official recommendation regarding said ordinances in” after the words “The Commission shall” and before the words “matters pertaining to” and is further amended by inserting the words “regulate all” after the words “The Commission shall” and before the words “matters pertaining to”.
And is further amended by deleting subsection (b) from Article II Section 18-44. Powers and duties. And is further amended by deleting Section 18-145. City Council acceptance of recommendations. Article II, Traffic Safety and Parking Commission; Section 18-182. Exclusion of heavy and commercial vehicles; is further amended by deleting subsections (4) and (5).

The purpose of this amendment is to create a fully empowered traffic commission to establish a more efficient process for all traffic regulations.

All Ordinances or parts of Ordinances in conflict with the foregoing are hereby repealed. (Ordained sent down for concurrence)

8. A0311-08 Ordinance/s/Alderman Robert J. Van Campen
Rules & Ordinances Committee Report -That the City of Everett enact a "Social Host Responsibility" Ordinance thereby prohibiting the services to and consumption of alcoholic beverages and drugs by persons under the age of twenty-one (21) at private premises located within the City; with a recommendation for favorable action pending the Assistant City Solicitor's opinion on the legality of incorporating community service into the penalty provision of ordinance. (Ordained sent down for ordainment)

9. A0171-09 Order/s/Alderman Robert J. Van Campan, Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as Chairmen, and the Entire Committee of Whole on Budget 2010 Report and Order
That the Annual Appropriation Bill (Budget) for the Fiscal Year 2010, as submitted by His Honor Mayor Carlo DeMaria, and as amended by the City Council Joint Budget Committee, in the amount of $131,489,009.00 is hereby approved as the Annual Budget for the City of Everett for Fiscal Year 2010.

(Line items reduced
Parking Clerk Salaries $1,950
Mayor Recog. & Awds $2,500
Unemployment Compensation $150,000
Employees Ins Health Ins $100,000
Code Enforce Litigation fees $5,000
Assessor Salaries $19,958
City Services Repair & Maint $5,000
City Services Const. Repairs $10,000
City Services Road Salt $50,000)
(Committee Report accepted, Order Amended to $132,436,710.00, passed, as amended, sent down for concurrence.)

COMMUNICATIONS
10. C0106-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
Response from Health Director Deb O'Neil on Resolution offered by Councilor McKinnon-that the Board of Health go to each elderly complex in the City to explain the bed bug issue and that they give out dated materials or information on this to the residents of 381 Ferry Street, Glendale Towers, as there have been many complaints still, and they are asking to have something done about this matter now; "There are six senior housings in Everett, at this time I am very short staffed but I will print out the current information I have and deliver it to all senior housings and they can also call the Health Department hotline at 617-394-2314 and we will take their complaints".

11. C0107-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Catherine Tomassi Hicks
Response received from Building Inspector James Sheehan with regards to Resolution offered by Councilor Hicks relative to covers around fence be replaced, as neighbors complaining about dust blowing around, having to close their windows at the Waters Ave Project area; "we cannot force the owner of Waters Ave Project to install a cover over the fencing around the property, let me know if you need anything further".

12. C0089-09 Communication
Favorable Response from State Police on Resolution offered by Councilors Millie Cardello, Sergio Cornelio, Peter A. Napolitano, Aldermen Frank Nuzzo and Wayne Matewsky-That the State Police establish a consistent presence at the rotary of Sweetzer Circle during peak traffic hours.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS
13. C0091-09 Resolution/s/Councilors Millie Cardello, Sergio Cornelio, Peter A. Napolitano, Aldermen Frank Nuzzo and Wayne Matewsky
That the Chief of Police meet with the State Police to coordinate traffic enforcement on Route 16 during peak hours at the request of the abutting residents. (5-18 Referred to Police Chief for response back for this meeting.)

14. C0073-09 Resolution/s/Councilor William L. Cardello
That the Mayor give us the results of the R.F. Walsh report about the study on municipal buildings, and see if there is an RFP going out yet on the High School. (5/18 Laid on table to this meeting)

15. C0097-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Stephen Simonelli
To invite the Community Development Director, along with a member of the Police Graffiti Unit, to appear at the next meeting June 1st, to give their opinion on using graffiti in a positive direction, that is, having a graffiti art show, similar to what other cities are doing.

16. C0099-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Rosa DiFlorio
To invite the Police Chief to attend next meeting June 1st to discuss the duties of the animal control officer with regards to numerous complaints of dog feces. (5-18 Referred to Police Chief to attend this meeting)

17. C0111-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
That the Chief of Police increase patrols in the Glendale Square area on weekends during the hours of 10:00 p.m. until 2:00 a.m. due to recent activity in that area, and a number of complaints on Ferry Street, Timothy Ave, 381 Ferry Street-Glendale Towers, and Walgreen's parking lot areas.

18. C0115-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
That Certificate of Habitability be included in either the water bills or the tax bills and invite Mr. Chiampi, the Director of the CETF to attend next meeting to discuss an aid for proper enforcement strategies.

NEW BUSINESS
19. C0124-09
Common Council Worksheet
Monday, June 15, 2009
Pursuant to Rule 17 of the Common Council, all resolutions requesting the repair, replacement or maintenance of pavement, sidewalks, traffic signals, signage, playground equipment, or other similar requests, shall be placed on a separate worksheet and voted on collectively at the next formal session, and, if passed, referred to the respective departments for their response back to sponsors.

1.Sponsor: Councilor John Leo McKinnon-To fix the crosswalk button at the light of Fuller and Lynn Street crosswalk, in the interest of public safety.
Referred to: City Services Department-Wire Division.

2. Sponsor: Councilor Eloy Lou Sierra-City Services Sign Division replace the “Do Not Enter Sunday” Sign, “8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.”, at the corner of Nichols and Malden Street, due to graffiti and the sign is 22 years old.
Referred to: City Services Director and Sign Division with request for response to Sponsor when completed.

3. Sponsor: Councilor Eloy Lou Sierra-That the City Services Department repair the guard rail on Lawrence Street, across from Freemont Street, due to trucks backing up to make the corner to make deliveries to the rear of the Whidden Hospital.
Referred to: City Services Director with request for response to Sponsor when completed.

4. Sponsor: Councilor Peter A. Napolitano-That the City Services Department survey and repair severe potholes on Route 99 from the Sweetser Circle to the Boston line as soon as possible.
Referred to: City Services Director with a request for response back to Sponsor when completed.

20. C0116-09 Ordinance/s/Councilor Peter A. Napolitano
That the City of Everett establish a "No Heavy Trucking" on the length of Hampshire Street, at the request of the residents and establish alternate truck routes.

21. C0117-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Lorrie Bruno
Effective July 1st, the City of Everett will be taking control of the old Everett High School. Due to residents concerns of a vacant building, it is being requested that the Police start, as soon as possible, beginning July 1st, at least a minimum of two directed patrols per night seven days a week, around the entire perimeter of the school to prevent any vandalism or groups loitering around at the present structure.

22. C0118-09 Resolution/s/Councilor William L. Cardello
That all organizations put out flyers to children and parents that pit bulls, and all similar breeds, must be muzzled in the parks while parents and children are watching their family members playing games, and that they have the proper leash/muzzle on their dogs around children in the parks, in the interest of public safety.

23. C0119-09 Resolution/s/Councilor William L. Cardello
To invite the Church Pastor at the former Elks building to the next public safety committee meeting relative to complaints of loud music and parking in front of people's houses.

24. C0120-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
That the Common Council suspends their meetings in the summer session for the entire months of July and August, 2009, due to many members on vacation, which accounts for a lack of quorums, and is unfair to members who make the effort to attend, and in conjunction with the Board of Aldermen summer session.

25. C0121-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Eloy Lou Sierra
That the Police Traffic Division set a speed trap from the corner of Malden and Nichols Street to the Our Lady of Grace Church due to cars speeding faster than the 20 MPH speed limit.

26. C0122-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Peter A. Napolitano
That the Director of City Services appear this meeting to provide update on the turn around time of worksheet items submitted by the Common Council.

Adjournment

Respectfully submitted: C. McCorry, Everett City Council Office council@ci.everett.ma.us
SCHEDULED MEETINGS: 6/16, 6PM, Bills & Accounts and R & O Committee Meetings; 6/22, 6:30PM-License Committee Meeting and 7PM-Board of Aldermen Meeting. You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  12:59:52 PM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no. 14 should be interesting this is cardello friend who wants to buy this building billy must really want this building, do I see congestion up on maple street again
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  2:15:02 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Billy Cardello and his crew have been after the Old High School for quite some time. It’s plain to see they have no interest in selling them the property and is just stringing them along. Billy’s been attending those meetings so, what’s in it for him?
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  09:02:51 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe this week, we can can a better explanation of why Capital is entitled to an extra $100,000 in the middle of their contract and what steps the city might be taking to bring down the solid waste disposal fees. But I won't be holding my breath.

Thinking about it, the overage in the FICA Medicare line item is probably due to a number of factors, chief among them union contract settlements, unexpected increases in the City Solicitor's office law and the separation program. Hard to believe that it could be under-budgeted since it should be a simple percentage of the total eligible salaries that the city is expected to pay. But since Mr. Carlisle was in charge of the budget process last year, who knows?

Forgot that since this item is an ordinance, it needs two more readings. Hopefully, someone will realize that the BOA wasn't given the correct information about this piece last Monday either this week or next.

It's a good thing that this piece empowering the Traffic Commission will make it thru all of its required readings before the summer break. Otherwise, they'd have to wait until fall to implement it.

While I'm guessing that the Social Host ordinance will still be passed, one has to wonder if the editorial in the Leader-Herald about it will have any effect on the shaky majority that it had the last time that it was before the Common Council.

WOW! The amounts cut from the budget actually listed on the agenda. We're making a little progress clerically. Too bad that the same can't be said with how the city is going to get out of the budget mess that we'll likely be facing down the road. I just don't think that the city will be able to "grow" its way out of it. Putting off tough decisions only makes them tougher when you have to face up to them.

So, the Health Department is shorthanded, likely due to positions eliminated by the Separation Incentive program. How long will it be until they want to start restoring those positions? When you allow the employees to make the decisions about which positions will be vacated what you get is likely more smoke and mirrors rather than sustainable cuts. That is the flaw in the methodology that they used to decide which positions would be eliminated. And you probably can't just take someone from a position that might be expendable and plunk them down into a Health Department job.

Didn't the Mayor say recently that the Water Ave project was looking to start up again? Couldn't some ask them nicely to honor this request?

12. + 13.
I haven't really kept up with how the State Police are faring in the State budget process; but, haven't we been told in the past the Wellington Circle barracks is understaffed already? I think that the best that we'll see is a brief increase in visibility of State police at the circle and on the parkway. They'll stick around until they need to be reassigned to the next hot spot.

Who is Councilor Billy Cardello's horse in this race? I'd like to see a copy of this report posted on the city web site so that the taxpayers cab read what they paid for.

It’s a good piece but isn't it past time for this graffiti piece to be referred out of the City Council to a committee or a department that can truly do something about it?

Where am I going to get my fair share of dog feces talk this summer when the council is on vacation? Please keep your smart answers to yourselves, thank you.

I think that you have to wonder if all of the councilors will be able to stay on topic with this Code Enforcement piece. Could be interesting.

I know that this is the worksheet item and it won't be discussed, but I'm glad that someone finally put filling potholes on lower Broadway on the agenda. It's a horror show down there and it just can't be put off because the road is going to be redone next year.

"No Heavy Trucking" pieces seem to be the latest rage. May be Hampshire Street is worthy but how many other streets are as well?

Other than who controls the building, what's really going to change at the old high school? Why is this any more of an issue now than it was before?

Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't dogs not allowed in the parks? We all know that isn't followed though. What does Councilor Cardello mean by "That all organizations put out flyers..."? Is he talking about the youth sports leagues? Sure, they could include it in any information handed out to their players. But is that really the source of the issue?

Summertime and the living is easy.

I know that Councilor Napolitano has good intentions with this piece but isn't the likely answer that he'll get be some variation of that City Services gets to these items as soon as they possibly can? It might more be beneficial if the councilor addressed specific items that he has issues with. But unfortunately, that's probably not the PC thing to do.
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  09:57:38 AM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! The amounts cut from the budget actually listed on the agenda. We're making a little progress clerically. Too bad that the same can't be said with how the city is going to get out of the budget mess that we'll likely be facing down the road. I just don't think that the city will be able to "grow" its way out of it. Putting off tough decisions only makes them tougher when you have to face up to them - Tetris

Well Tetts, when your right, your right! They have backed us into a corner and you couldn't be more right, we WILL pay for this.... big time.

Just MY Humble Opinion

"Cruller DaHville"

Edited by - Cruller DaVille on 06/14/2009 09:58:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  11:18:24 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going thru some old postings and I happened to run across this piece of business.

To authorize the City of Everett to adopt the residential property tax exemption of 20% of the assessed value for owner occupied class one residential properties for Fiscal Year 2009.

This was passed by the Common Council on 06/16/2008 and the Board of Alderman on 06/23/2008. Given that the new Fiscal Year starts on July 1st, this piece hasn't been reintroduced for FY10 yet and there is only one regularly scheduled meeting left for each body, doesn't that mean that the exemption should be going away on the next tax bill if something isn't done? So is this the plan or just an oversight?
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  1:44:19 PM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that the exeption has to be passed annually should an administration chose to utilize it. That decision has to be made prior to the start of the tax process. Which would be soon.

"Cruller DaHville"

Edited by - Cruller DaVille on 06/14/2009 1:48:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  3:43:12 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too, would like a better explanation of why Capital thinks they are entitled to an extra $100,000 in the middle of their contract.

I think the recycle program does better than we are lead to believe:

You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - Tails on 06/15/2009 3:48:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  7:58:27 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a fiasco over Capital Waste. I don't blame Capital Waste, it is evident that the purchasing agent has not been overseeing this.

Knowing this was on the agenda and NO ONE was prepared? Wouldn't you think that the PURCHASING AGENT should have been there with all the answers?

If she could not, she should have left all the info with one of the other lawyers. What a mess.

I could have never voted for that with all the uncertainty.
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  8:36:38 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Items 12 + 13: I dont see how a state police presence is going to do anything other than make traffic worse. The only way traffic will improve is if the police are stationed at the various lights on lower broadway. They can then control the flow of traffic rather than contribute to it being backed up.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  8:51:31 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the meeting tonight, they said Frank Champi has been replaced by Jim Sheehan as the Director of Code Enforcement.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  8:55:16 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh terrific choice! (That is a JOKE) That man didn't even have his license for the building department.
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  9:42:31 PM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Couldn't agree with you more. The individual who is supposed to oversee all contracts is the CPO. During the life of a contract, it is the CPO who the city depends on to call upon a vendor to uphold their contractural obligations. It is obvious that not having a true working CPO is costing us money.

Although it does beg the question......you have lawyers (so-called0 tripping over themselves in the big blue building and no one can decipher a contract. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm makes you ponder, doesn't it?

Just My Humble Opinion

"Cruller DaHville"

Edited by - Cruller DaVille on 06/15/2009 9:43:58 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2