Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Announcements
 Com Council/2009
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  09:53:19 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Massdee,

Although this won't explain the discrepancy, it does explain why what happened happened. Within the zoning ordinances, which is what Wood Waste was cited with violating, the fine is set at $20 per day. There is no fine set within the ordinances used by code enforcement; therefore, they are allowed to write tickets for the maximum allowed under state law. I thought that there was some condideration being given to changing the zoning fine structure but I can't recall what happened to that. I think that it would ultimately have to go before the Planning Board for approval as is required for all Zoning ordinance changes before the City Council could vote to change it.

Tails,

The reason that the fines aren't added to owner's tax bill is that they can't be legally. That is the reason for the home rule petition that was passed for submission to state recently so that the city can place liens on these properties for unpaid fines and have their own hearing officer for these tickets. I don't know enough about the lien process yet to know how effective that will be. I'm doubtful that the hearing officer provision will make much of an impact though since the violator will still have the option of taking the ticket to court. Those individuals that don't want to pay the ticket will just continue to take the city to court.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  10:03:22 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why bother to pay the ticket if when brought to court the city usually loses? I hope they figure out a better way to handle this.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  11:41:59 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. I didn't realize you can’t add tickets to the tax bill legally. I hope the home rule petition will help that issue. I know other cities and towns have done it.

I know someone who owned a house outside Everett, and when his tenants moved out, they did not get enough stickers to dispose of their furniture but put it all out anyway.

He had a code enforcement ticket on his door and mailed it to the prior tenant, and they said they would pay.

Well, my friend got whammed on his tax bill. And for those who pay mortgage/taxes together, will see an increase in your monthly mortgage payment. It “should” be as simple as that. That makes more sense than going to court individually (and paying a filing fee) for every ticket.

Doesn't sound to me like we are making a mint on code enforcement tickets, like we were lead to believe.

Edited by - Tails on 10/21/2009 11:43:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  2:31:04 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(JOINT CONVENTION/PUBLIC HEARING AT 6PM, SPECIAL BOARD OF ALDERMEN MEETING AT 6:30PM)

REGULAR MEETING OF THE COMMON COUNCIL, WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 4, 2009, 7:00 PM, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, 3RD FL., EVERETT, MASS

COMMUNICATIONS FROM HIS HONOR THE MAYOR

C0192-09 Ordinance/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
That the fees established by Section 21-4 of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, Massachusetts are hereby amended to read as follows:

SEALING FEES

The Sealer of weights and Measures will furnish a certificate to the owner, stating the name and address of the owner of the device, the date when inspected, the action taken, and the amount of any fee paid.

Fees shall be as follows:

Balances & Scales Current Proposed

10,000lbs.or more $150.00 $175.00
5,000 to 10,000 lbs. $60.00 $100.00
1,000 to 5000 lbs $45.00 $75.00
100 to 1,000 lbs $35.00 $50.00
10 to 100 lbs $20.00 $30.00
10 lbs or less $20.00 $30.00

Weights

Avoirdupois (each) $2.00 $3.00
Metric (each) $2.00 $3.00
Apothecary (each) $2.00 $3.00
Troy (each) $2.00 $3.00
Minimum charge of $10.00 if not brought to office

Capacity Measures
Vehicle Tanks
Each Indicator $10.00 No Change
Each 100 gallons or fraction thereof $10.00 No Change

Liquid
1 gallon or less $2.00 No Change
More than one gallon $5.00 No Change

Liquid Measuring Meters
Inlet less than ½ in. (oil/grease) $10.00 No Change
Inlet ½ in. to 1 in. (gasoline) $20.00 $30.00
Inlet greater than1in.

Vehicle Tank – pump $40.00 $75.00

Company Supplies Prover $50.00 $75.00

Pumps
Each stop on pump $8.00 No Change

Other Devices
Taximeters $25.00
Wire / Rope / Cordage $15.00 No Change
Reverse Vending Machines $20.00 No Change

Linear Measures
Yard Sticks $2.00 $5.00
Tapes $2.00 $5.00

Auto Retail Check-Out Systems / Scanners
1 – 3 Registers / Terminals $75.00 No Change
4 – 11 “ “ $150.00 No Change
Greater than 11 $250.00 No Change

Adjustments 50% of original Fee

Currently, the city does not receive compensation if a device is rejected and needs a re-inspection. Therefore, a fee should be added to the schedule for this type of inspection. The suggested increase would be ½ of the regular inspection fee.

PAPERS FROM THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN

A0262-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
To transfer $50,000.00 from Budgetary Fund Balance into the City Services Construction/Repairs Account for the repair of the sidewalks (both sides) of Wyllis Avenue. (Passed sent down for concurrence).

A0264-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
To accept the Department of Public Health Grant of $6,000.00 to the Everett Fire Prevention - DPH Account to support the Fire Prevention Program. (Passed sent down for concurrence).

A0254-09 Ordinance/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
That Chapter 12, Section 12-48 paragraph (d) of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, 1996, be amended by deleting "$125.00" and replacing it with "$200.00". (Amended by inserting "as most recently amended" after the letter (d).)
(Ordained as amended, sent down for concurrence.)

A0255-09 Ordinance/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
That Chapter 12, Section 12-48 paragraph (d) of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, 1996, be amended by deleting the phrase "Gasoline Service Stations". (Ordained sent down for ordainment.)

C0164-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To Appropriate the amount of $73,555.00 from the Budgetary Fund Balance to the Personnel Department Salary Account. This will be for a new Personnel Director. (Amended to $50,000.00, passed as amended, sent up for concurrence, reconsideration failed); Finance Committee Report with a recommendation for favorable action by amending the Order to $45,000. (Passed as amended to $45,000, sent down for concurrence on the amendment.)

A0243-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
To conduct a public hearing in accordance with the requirements of Chapter 40, Section 56 of the Massachusetts General Laws, as amended by Chapter 369 of the Acts of 1982 and to vote to accept the minimum residential factor.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

C0130-09 /s/RULES & ORDINANCES COMMITTEE REPORT
On Resolution/s/Councilors Rosa DiFlorio, Cynthia Sarnie and Alderman Sal Sachetta-To revisit the trash ordinance and the fees for trash.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

C0135-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Lou Sierra
Request City Engineer give an update next meeting on the prior request for sidewalk on Lower Mt. Washington Street, on the odd side, as they are still waiting. (Amended to include Morgan Street) (Postponed to this meeting for a report from the City Engineer).

C0106-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
That the Board of Health go to each elderly complex in the City to explain the bed bug issue and that they give out dated materials or information on this to the residents of 381 Ferry Street, Glendale Towers, as there have been many complaints.

C0172-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Rosa DiFlorio
That His Honor The Mayor consider putting speed bumps in all municipal parking lots.

NEW BUSINESS

C0190-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
That the Traffic Commission place a "20 MPH" speed limit sign on Sammet Street, at the request of Mr. Arcari, resident at 17 Sammet Street, as cars are speeding.

C0191-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Peter A. Napolitano
That a ten-minute drop off spot be created between the hours of 3:00pm & 7:30pm, Monday through Friday and 9:00am to 5:00pm on Saturdays at the parking spot in front of 453 Broadway at the request of the karate school located there to facilitate a safe spot for parents to drop-off and pick-up their children for classes.

C0193-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Stephanie V. Smith
That Representative Smith appear this meeting relative to public housing funding.

C0194-09
Common Council Worksheet~~Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Pursuant to Rule 17 of the Common Council, all resolutions requesting the repair, replacement or maintenance of pavement, sidewalks, traffic signals, signage, playground equipment, or other similar requests, shall be placed on a separate worksheet and voted on collectively at the next formal session, and, if passed, referred to the respective departments for their response back to sponsors.

1.Sponsor: Councilors Rosemary Miller and Sal DiDomenico-At the forum (Immaculate Conception) on Tuesday, October 27th, it was brought to our attention that Coburn Terrace has a flooding problem when it rains. Please send water/sewer department down to clean out area culverts; and report back to Sponsors when work completed; and also that the City Engineer investigates on a rainy day after open drains cleaned out, and report back findings of any flooding on Coburn Terrace to Sponsors.
Referred to: City Services Director and Operations Manager, Water/Sewer Division, City Engineer and Mayor.

2. Sponsor: Councilor Rosemary Miller-There is a very serious and potentially dangerous situation created by the repaving of the sidewalk at 696 Broadway (Angelina’s Subs). When you exit the store, the down slope is too sharp and throws you off balance. It continues to the corner where the wheelchair/handicap cut is. Someone in a wheelchair would be propelled too fast and too sharp for safety issues. Also, the winter is approaching; there is additional concern about snow/icing at the location. Not only is this sharp slope/drop dangerous, but also could potentially put the city at risk for legal action.
Referred to: Mayor, City Engineer, and Community Development and City Services Director.

3. Sponsor: Councilor Sal DiDomenico-To change Spruce Street, from Jefferson to Dartmouth Street, to a one-way on school days from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. to help alleviate traffic congestion.
Referred to: Traffic Commission

4. Sponsor: Councilor Sal DiDomenico-To place a “No Left Turn on School Days from 7:30am to 2:30pm”” sign on Dartmouth Street at the intersection of Spruce Street to help alleviate traffic congestion.

5. Sponsor: Councilor Sal DiDomenico-To place a “No Right Turn on School Days from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.” Sign on Clarence Street, at the intersection of Clarence Street to help alleviate traffic congestion.

Respectfully submitted:

Caroline McCorry
Adm. Assist. /Ofc. Mgr. Everett City Council Office council@ci.everett.ma.us

Scheduled Meetings:

10/29 6 p.m. Rules & Ordinances Committee Meeting
11/4 6 p.m. Joint Convention/Public Hearing
11/4 6:30 p.m. Special Board of Aldermen Meeting
11/9 7 p.m. Board of Aldermen Meeting
11/16 7 p.m. Common Council Meeting
11/17 6 p.m. Bills & Accounts Committee Meeting

You must be logged in to see this link.

Have a Happy and safe Halloween everyone
Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  4:40:05 PM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A0262-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
To transfer $50,000.00 from Budgetary Fund Balance into the City Services Construction/Repairs Account for the repair of the sidewalks (both sides) of Wyllis Avenue. (Passed sent down for concurrence).

have a problem with this we own the street in everett left side is everett right side is malden and we are paying..
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  1:44:06 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Light agenda this week. Not unexpected. Wouldn’t be surprised if it stays that way thru the beginning of the new year either.
Two different people on this board have commented that one side of Wyllis Avenue is actually in Malden. The question is will any of the councilors, especially the ones from the ward who may know the area better, ask about this?

It still looks like to me that the wrong paragraph of the ordinance is being changed but I doubt that anyone will say anything. Not the first time that something like this has happened lately. But somehow, when the “revised” ordinance gets printed in the paper, the problem seems to get corrected and the correct section of the ordinance gets modified. Doesn’t seem like the right way to do business to me.

Let’s hope that this money goes to good use. The city needs a personnel director but the administration’s track record on high profile new hires seems to be less than stellar.

As I posted elsewhere on the board, the annual adoption of the minimum residential factor rarely is a subject of much debate. But with some discussion of giving businesses a tax break, things could be different this year. I doubt it though.

As I’ve previously stated, the trash ordinance and the fees for trash need to be looked at closely. Let’s see if they have come up with anything or if a request is made for more time.

If Wyllis Ave gets approved and this one doesn’t, it’s likely not to be pretty.

Since the election will be over on Wednesday night, will the bedbug issue finally get removed from the agenda and be left in the hands of the Housing Authority, where it belongs?

Speed bumps would be preferable to the jersey barriers presently in the Norwood Street lot. The barriers may solve one problem, speeding thru the parking lot, but I’m not sure if they don’t cause other and also make some of the other problems that were already going on down there worse. I’d prefer to see speed bumps there. But the problem with speed bumps, of course, is that they’ll likely have to be repaired/replaced every year after they are damaged by snow plowing.

12. + 13.
Sorry but Traffic Commission items belong on the worksheet these days.

Amazing. Stephanie Smith is on her way out the door, almost never has an item of her own on the agenda and rarely speaks on any piece. But her father gets blamed (rightly or wrongly; you can make up your own mind about that) for there not being enough funding in Everett for public housing and, at the next meeting, he gets an opportunity to speak in front of the board. Don’t you just love the way city government works?
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  12:46:23 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like it when the agenda contains detailed information on items like this but I don’t see the purpose of actually reading all the detail. How many people can actually absorb that kind of detail without having it in front of them? An appropriate use of “Waive the reading” after the gist of it had been read.

At least the question got asked. I just find it either hard to believe or dumb that a street would be split so that the sidewalks abutting the properties would belong to one city and the actual properties belong to another city.

I guess that I’m going to have to keep an eye on which paragraph of the ordinance actually get changed when the revised ordinance is printed in the paper.

Mr. Mayor, please spend this money allocated for a Personnel Director wisely.

Unfortunately, I turned on the public hearing late so I didn’t get to see most of the Mayor’s presentation. I was happy to see that he came prepared with slides and real numbers. I had a hard time understanding the numbers though because I tuned in so late. So I’ve been holding off on these comments so that I could watch the 11:00 PM replay. Unfortunately, ECTV lets me down yet again. The agenda played and then it went to black. No old equipment to blame it on this time. So, I’ll withhold most of my comments until I actually get to see the presentation.

The one thing that I will comment on though is the discussion about the 20% exemption that went on. Why? That was passed weeks ago. I know that there’s a connection between that and this piece but tonight wasn’t the time; it just confused the issue. If you want to discuss the whole thing then put a piece on the agenda and then refer it to the Finance Committee if you want to have an in-depth discussion.

Time to start winding down business for the year. Oh well, I guess trash fees (and the residents by the way) will just have to wait.

If these sidewalks repairs required an appropriation, why wasn’t that on the agenda tonight? Let it boil for two more weeks; it’s gonna be ugly if it blows up.

Election over, bedbug piece disappears from the agenda, Strange how that works..

Jersey barriers. Speed bumps. Those are easy to get mixed up.

Ward 2 re-elected Joe King? I’m sorry but time passed him by a while ago.

Finally, let’s hit the Everett ATM again. Bottom line is that the city just can’t afford to do everything that everybody wants to do. And everyone has different priorities. It’s only gonna get worse.

12. + 13.
As suspected, no discussion; referred to the Traffic Commission. I don’t understand why they weren’t on the worksheet.

As suspected, a CYA piece and the sponsor never speaks on it. It’s nice that Public Housing got a nice increase statewide but how much did Everett’s share go up? Stat’s got some damage control to do but this was probably the least of his problems. And while I’m at it, might as well christen the latest Smith to enter public life. How bad does it look that the other new Councilors-elect showed up tonight and Carlie didn’t? Why do people bring these things upon themselves?

I thought that worksheet items couldn’t be discussed? Seriously though, I think correcting simple errors on the worksheet by amending the items is a better way to go than was what was done a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by - tetris on 11/05/2009 12:48:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

OuttaHere

58 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  12:50:43 PM  Show Profile Send OuttaHere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Unfortunately, ECTV lets me down yet again." Whatta mean Pal!?.......Dey Just got the friggin' Upgrades RIGHT!? Also GREAT sound Mattarazzo, Bill C. Screams into Da mike and Joe King doesn't even use it..............Me thumb is broken goin' UP and Down! IT IS TO LAUGH!.......or you'll cry! Seeya
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  3:10:28 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote

AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA

REGULAR MEETING OF THE COMMON COUNCIL, MONDAY, NOVEMBER 16, 2009, 7:00 PM, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, 3RD FL., EVERETT, MASS

1. A0275-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
That the Chief Procurement Officer is hereby granted permission to accept and dispose of the below referenced property to ensure that an encroachment of the building at 11 Hazel Park on the City of Everett property is corrected: City of Everett Commercial / Industrial Property Report Cared, Identifying Parcel ID E00003 000050 02 as Hazel Park of Lot 9, size 421 square feet of land as owned by the City of Everett, making title reference to Disposal in Tax Lien Case dated 11/29/1951 recorded with the Middlesex South Registry of Deeds in Book 7822, Page 451. (Passed sent down for concurrence).

2. A0276-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
To transfer $6,600 from Budgetary Fund Balance into the City Clerk's Miscellaneous Election Expenditures Account. The City Clerk had budgeted his election account based on 12 precincts. Unfortunately, the legislation is still in the House and we needed to staff 18 precincts. (Passed sent down for concurrence)

3. A0277-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
To transfer $25,000.00 from Budgetary Fund Balance into the City Services Water Rate Study Account. This is for a proposed commercial water meter study for the City Services Water Department. Scope of services include: review meter records for the past 3 years; investigate meter installations starting with oldest and largest meter size; review system-wide water billing records versus purchased water records; estimate percentage lost/accounted for from water records review and other City sources; estimate potential increase in metered water volume and potential income based upon present water rates; estimate cost to implement a meter replacement program; prepare a cost/benefit analysis and assistance in applying for MWRA funding. (Passed sent down for concurrence)

4. C0192-09 Ordinance/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
That the fees established by Chapter 21-Section 4 of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, Massachusetts for Weights and Measures are hereby amended in its entirety and replacing with new sealing fees. (Enrolled in concurrence, sent down for ordainment.)

5. A0266-09 Ordinance/s/Alderman Michael K. Marchese
That Chapter 3-Section 39 of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, is hereby amended by deleting Chapter 3-Section 39 in its entirety and inserting new Chapter 3-Section 39, Pit Bull Regulations. (Enrolled sent down for enrollment.)

UNFINISHED BUSINESS
6. C0135-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Lou Sierra
Request City Engineer give an update next meeting on the prior request for sidewalk on Lower Mt. Washington Street, on the odd side, as they are still waiting. (Amended to include Morgan Street) (Postponed to this meeting for a update from the City Engineer).

7. C0172-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Rosa DiFlorio
That His Honor The Mayor consider putting speed bumps in all municipal parking lots. (Referred 11/4 to Mayor with request for written response this meeting.)

NEW BUSINESS
8. C0195-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Peter A. Napolitano
That the City Clerk inform in writing all candidates who participated in the 2009 municipal election as well as Code Enforcement of the provisions of the Everett Ordinances regarding political signs: Section 15A-61 POLITICAL SIGNS
All signs associated with a political campaign shall be exempted from the provisions of this ordinance provided that they are of a temporary nature and shall be removed within thirty days after the date of the election to which they refer.
Section 15A-62 SAME- PENALTY FOR NON-REMOVAL.
(a) The candidates involved shall be held responsible for the removal of signs and placards necessary to fulfill the provisions of this section of the Ordinance.
(b) Failure to do so within the allotted time shall result in penalties of not more than $5.00 per day per sign with a maximum penalty of not more than $50.00 per sign.
The deadline to be in full compliance with the ordinance would be December 4, 2009.

9. C0196-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Peter A. Napolitano and Alderman Robert J. Van Campen
That the Charter Review Commission set their Public Hearings so as not to conflict with the scheduled Monday evening Common Council and Board of Aldermen meetings, allowing elected officials to attend and participate as residents with the rest of the general public.

10. C0197-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Peter A. Napolitano
That ECTV advertise on the Bulletin Board the schedule for the public hearings that will be forthcoming from the Charter Review Commission and televise the public hearings for viewing by the general public whenever possible.

11. C0198-09 Resolution/s/Councilor William L. Cardello
To invite Mrs. Fran Sordillo from the Water Department and the Chairman of the City Services Commission, Lenny Parsons, to appear this meeting to discuss increased mistakes on water bills.

12. C0199-09 Order/s/Councilor Anthony F. Ranieri
To dedicate and name Montrose Street, at the corner of Wellington Ave, The Phillip Mattuchio Square, a U.S. Marine and Vietnam Veteran.

13. C0200-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Peter A. Napolitano
That the State Representative provide a follow-up update on reconstructing the Island at the intersection of the Revere Beach Parkway and Spring Street to expand the left turn lane on the east bound side to provide for additional vehicles waiting to take the left turn onto Spring Street.

14. C0201-09 Common Council Worksheet
Pursuant to Rule 17 of the Common Council, all resolutions requesting the repair, replacement or maintenance of pavement, sidewalks, traffic signals, signage, playground equipment, or other similar requests, shall be placed on a separate worksheet and voted on collectively at the next formal session, and, if passed, referred to the respective departments for their response back to sponsors.

1.Sponsor: Councilor Peter A. Napolitano-That the City Engineer adds Cottage Street to the list of streets that need major full remediation.
Referred to: City Engineer

2. Sponsor: Councilor Peter A. Napolitano-That the City Engineer look into smoothing out the two major heaves in the roadway on Thorndike Street at the request of the neighborhood.
Referred to: City Engineer

3. Sponsor: Councilor Peter A. Napolitano-That the Sign Division remove the illegal “No heavy trucking” sign on the pole on Bow Street just after the intersection of Thorndike and Bow Streets.
Referred to: City Services Sign Division
Adjournment

Respectfully submitted: C. McCorry, Everett City Council Office, council@ci.everett.ma.us

Go to Top of Page

MIKE1955

13 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  08:03:09 AM  Show Profile Send MIKE1955 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OuttaHere

"Unfortunately, ECTV lets me down yet again." Whatta mean Pal!?.......Dey Just got the friggin' Upgrades RIGHT!? Also GREAT sound Mattarazzo, Bill C. Screams into Da mike and Joe King doesn't even use it..............Me thumb is broken goin' UP and Down! IT IS TO LAUGH!.......or you'll cry! Seeya

MATTARAZZO SHOULD NOT HAVE A LIFETIME JOB AS CITY CLERK, SHOULD HAVE TO RUN EVERY 4 YEARS, HE IS A JERK, BECAUSE HE KNOWS HE HAS A JOB FOR LIFE, A DISGRACE, ALSO CAN NOT BELIEVE THE CITIZENS VOTED THE SAME COMMON COUNCILERS IN WARD 5 .
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  09:54:49 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like I said last week, I think that the agendas for the rest of the year will be on the light side.

Not seeing an appropriation for this item on the agenda, I have hard time imagining how these sidewalks are going to get replaced. I don’t think that Councilor Sierra will be pleased. I haven’t been down on Union Street lately; did he ever get his snow emergency light at Malden Street? Didn’t that need an appropriation too? It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

I get the same feeling about this item as I did the last one. I have my doubts that it will happen any time soon. Could be wrong though.

While there is no need for the signs to still be up, I don’t think that Councilor Napolitano is going to make many friends by putting this item on the agenda.

9. + 10.
There is no question that the Charter Review meetings need to be well advertised, including on the ECTV bulletin board. They also must be televised (live whenever possible) so that there can be no question of transparency surrounding the process.

I’m glad to see that the water bill issue back on the agenda. Isn’t it interesting though that it went away until after the election?

This is a project that needs to be done desperately and shouldn’t be all that expensive. I know money is tight at the state level. But then you see some of the things that still receive state grant funding and you just have to scratch your head.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  2:10:08 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
REGULAR MEETING OF THE COMMON COUNCIL, WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 9, 2009, 7:00 PM, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, 3RD FL., EVERETT, MASS

COMMUNICATIONS FROM HIS HONOR THE MAYOR

1. C0203-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $100.00 from Mr. Joseph King, in memory of Helen Calderone, to the Office of Human Services Christmas Program. This donation will be deposited to the Emergency Services Account.

2. C0204-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $200.00 from Mr. Jack McGrath to Mayor's Office of Human Services Emergency Services and Christmas Programs. This donation will be used to support the Office of Human Services-Emergency Services Fund.

3. C0205-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept $5,000.00 from Mr. Lester Morovitz, Everett Car Service, Inc., to the Mayor's Office of Human Services Emergency Services Program. This donation will be used to support the Office of Human Services-Emergency Services Fund.

4. C0206-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept donation of $200.00 from the Everett Emblem Club to the Mayor's Office of Human Services Thanksgiving Program for Everett residents. This donation will be used to support the Office of Human Services - Emergency Services Fund.

5. C0207-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept donation of $500.00 to purchase Target Gift Cards, from Mr. Michael Marchese to the Mayor's Office of Human Services Christmas Program for Everett Children.

6. C0208-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept donation of $250.00 from Mr. Michael Marchese to the Mayor's Office of Human Services Council on Aging Programs. This donation will be used to support the Office of Human Services- Council on Aging Programs.

7. C0209-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $150.00 from Mr. Michael Marchese to the Department of Veteran's Services. This donation will be used by the Department of Veteran's Services to supplement their gift account.

8. C0210-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To transfer $22,000 from Budgetary Fund Balance into the Police Department Overtime Account to cover police detail expenses surrounding the upcoming Special United States Senate Primary and Final Election. The Commonwealth will reimburse this.

9. C0211-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To transfer $59,200.00 from the Budgetary Fund Balance into the following City Clerk Accounts: Wardens $5,700.00, Clerks $5,400.00, Inspectors $27,000.00, Custodians $3,600.00, Advertising $1,800.00, Machine Prep $8,000.00, Elect Training $7,200.00, Misc. Exp. $500.00. This will cover the expenses surrounding the upcoming Special United States Senate Primary and Final Election. This will be reimbursed by the Commonwealth.

10. C0212-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To transfer $5,000.00 from the Budgetary Fund Balance to the Charter Commission Miscellaneous Expense Account for the newly formed Charter Commission to be used for miscellaneous expenses.

11. C0213-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To transfer $25,930.00 from the Budgetary Fund Balance to the City Services Salary Account to cover the salary of the secondary water operator needed in the Water Department. State Law mandates this position.

12. A0289-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
That the amount of $100.00 is hereby accepted from Mr. Joseph King in memory of Helen Calderon to the Office of Human Services Thanksgiving Program. This donation will be deposited to the Emergency Services Account. (Passed sent down for concurrence)

13. A0290-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
That the amount of $350.00 is hereby accepted to the Department of Veterans Services; these donations will be used to supplement their Gift Account and listed as follows: $100.00 from the Saugus-Everett Elks; $100.00 from Mr. & Mrs. Anthony Badolato; $100.00 from the Vietnam Veteran Association and $50.00 from Mr. & Mrs. John Darling. (Passed sent down for concurrence)

14. A0291-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
To accept the donation of $15,000.00 from Jetro Cash & Carry Restaurant Depot to the Mayor's Office of Community Development Grant Account. This donation will be used by the Community Development Office to support the Boys and Girls Club of Everett. (Passed sent down for concurrence)

15. A0292-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
To accept the donation of $35,000.00 from Jetro Cash & Carry Restaurant Depot to the Mayor's Office of Community Development to support the Beautification Program. (Passed sent down for concurrence)

16. A0295-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
That the donation of $750.00 worth of gifts be accepted from Michael K. Marchese to the Mayor's Office of Human Services Account, that is $500.00 worth of Target Gift Cards for the Children for holiday programs and $250.00 to the Council on Aging Gifts for Holiday Programs. (Passed sent down for concurrence)

COMMUNICATIONS

17. C0199-09  /s/Favorable recommendation from the Director of Veteran Services & Order
On Order/s/Councilor Anthony F. Ranieri-To dedicate and name Montrose Street, at the corner of Wellington Ave, The Phillip Mattuchio Square, a U.S. Marine and Vietnam Veteran.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

18. C0181-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Anthony F. Ranieri
That the Chief of Police hereby instruct all Police Officers to strictly enforce illegal U-Turns and lack of signaling throughout the Community.

19. C0186-09 Resolution/s/Councilors Lou Sierra and Millie Cardello
To get an update on the grant status for Florence Street Baseball Park.

20. C0135-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Lou Sierra
Request City Engineer give an update next meeting on the prior request for sidewalk on Lower Mt. Washington Street, on the odd side, as they are still waiting. (Amended to include Morgan Street)

21. C0198-09 Resolution/s/Councilor William L. Cardello
To invite Mrs. Fran Sordillo from the Water Department and the Chairman of the City Services Commission, Lenny Parsons, to appear this meeting to discuss increased mistakes on water bills.

22. C0200-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Peter A. Napolitano
That the State Representative provide a follow-up update on reconstructing the Island at the intersection of the Revere Beach Parkway and Spring Street to expand the left turn lane on the east bound side to provide for additional vehicles waiting to take the left turn onto Spring Street.

NEW BUSINESS

23. C0214-09 Common Council Worksheet Wednesday, December 9, 2009

1.Sponsor: Councilor Catherine Tomassi Hicks-To place a bigger stop sign between the corner of Valley Street and Waters Ave, as it is heavily congested, at the request of area residents.
Referred to: Traffic Commission and City Services Sign Division

2. Sponsor: Councilor Rosemary Miller-Please check for repair of the sidewalk at Blake Terrace and Gledhill Avenue. I have personally observed the poor condition of the sidewalk at this corner. This is behind the Shute Library. Actually, all of Blake Terrace could use repair. Please inspect and let me know what plans can be made to correct this situation.

Referred to: City Services Director

Adjournment

Respectfully submitted:
Caroline McCorry, Everett City Council Office council@ci.everett.ma.us

Scheduled Meetings:
12/14 7PM Board of Aldermen
12/15 6PM Bills & Accts Committee
12/21 7PM Common Council Meeting
12/28 6:30PM Joint Convention
12/28 7PM Board of Aldermen Meeting
1/4/2010 7:00PM Inauguration at the Frederick F. Foresteire Center for Performing Arts, Everett High School.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  3:08:54 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
10. C0212-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To transfer $5,000.00 from the Budgetary Fund Balance to the Charter Commission Miscellaneous Expense Account for the newly formed Charter Commission to be used for miscellaneous expenses.

I have to comment about this one. I realize the commission is going to need money and I don’t have a problem with the council giving it to them however, I’d like to know what is needed.

Are they just going to be given $5,000.00 to spend on whatever they want? Will they be voting on expenditures?

I ask this because I heard unconfirmed information that Paul Schlosberg is already demanding a computer. That’s not necessary, especially if the meetings are in city hall. They have a computer room right in the basement if someone needs to use it.

Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  4:56:49 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could be wrong but I think the $5000.00 is mandated.

" Send in the Clowns "
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  4:57:11 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tails,

Under MGL Chapter 43B: Section 8(b), they are due the appropriation with or without approval of the City Council. See below.

“Within twenty days after the election of a charter commission, the city or town treasurer shall credit to the account of the charter commission, with or without appropriation, the sum of two thousand dollars in a town of less than twelve thousand inhabitants, the sum of five thousand dollars in a city or town of twelve thousand or more but less than fifty thousand inhabitants,...” .

That said, I agree that the commission needs to spend their money wisely. From what I've heard, at least so far, they are voting (roll call vote) on their appropriations. How wisely? That may be another story.

On Monday night (see item 10 the 11/30 agenda in EGOV folders on the city web site, minutes not available yet), I heard that they approved an appropriation to register a domain name for their own web site. Why? In my opinion, no reason that they couldn't get by with just a page off the current city web site. Having their own domain name begs the question of who is going to host the web site and how much will that cost a month? From what I hear, those types of questions weren't asked.

I also have a problem that the e-mail address that they are planning on using for the commission (Item 8, EverettCharter@comcast.net). Unless there is a problem with retrieving city e-mails outside of City Hall, I don't see why they are not using an official city e-mail address. Since it's likely that a lot of their work could be done outside of City Hall, it would be important for them to have access to their e-mails. However, an e-mail address with “comcast” in it, stands a good chance of not being a freebie.

How much money will they need? I think that it's a little too early to know that. Right now, I've heard that the mayor and the city are being “accommodating” and they may not be charged for things like keeping City Hall open for their meetings; but, it doesn't sound like there has been any type of formal agreement yet. Not sure who paid for the legal notice announcing their public hearing. Their largest expense will likely be the publishing of their preliminary report in a local paper. But that won't be until FY11. The $5,000 may be able to carry them through the test of FY10 if the city is being accommodating. However, it should probably be done as a continuing appropriation so that any leftover money won't have to be returned to the city at the end of FY10 though. The commission probably need to plan on getting themselves plugged in to participate in the FY11 budget cycle process.

I have a few other tidbits of information from last Monday's Charter Review Commission meeting. I'll post them in the the Charter Review thread when I get a chance.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2