Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Announcements
 Com Council/2009
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  8:16:33 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What happened with this piece?

C0176-09 Resolution/s/Councilors Peter A. Napolitano and Rosemary Miller
That the Director of Recreational Services and the Chief of Police appear to address rumors that there is some form of illegal gambling being conducted at the Rec Center.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  8:26:28 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ranieri blew up because a piece was put on the calendar based on an "internet rumor"; he doesn't like "blogs" apparently.

The chief is out of town so he sent a communication that he'll look into it.

Sam Amado, who said that he has been on the job for six weeks, has no knowledge of any wrong doing occuring at the Rec.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  9:34:38 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When it was announced that Billy Cardello was not going to be there, I thought it would have been a peaceful productive meeting. Ranieri should have been thrown out of that chamber. Totally out of line and that went on too long. Who does he think he is speaking to a colleague like that? He could have spoke with Peter before the meeting, but NO, Ranieri in us usual fashion but more out of control.

Sam Amado has not been on the job long enough to know anything. I'm glad the chief has a special unit on it.
Go to Top of Page

Fran

250 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  08:20:28 AM  Show Profile Send Fran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not see the meeting last night. If an employee is gambling I whole heartedly agree it needs to be addressed. Yet, this is an employee issue which needs to be addressed by the employer and not in a televised public forum. The employee has rights and if handled the wrong way could set the City up for liability. I think to be placed on the agenda was uncalled for with Napolitano and Miller looking for some face time.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  08:57:20 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think too many members of the Common Council & the Board of Alderman don't know what their job is or where the line is drawn. They frequently attempt to get involved in employee relations issues that are none of their business, can't be made public, and are not within their responsibility.

One more reason for a charter change. Fewer elected officials MAY give us fewer stupid people trying to run the city!
Go to Top of Page

Fran

250 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  09:56:53 AM  Show Profile Send Fran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
justme, I agree with you 100%
Go to Top of Page

Wildfire132

31 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  10:32:00 AM  Show Profile Send Wildfire132 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I don't think that they were looking for face time. Napolitano is unapposed and has nothing to gain from it. I think that it is just what Napoltnao said. If they say nothing then they're accused of sweeping it under the rug. If they say anythng, they're accused of getting face time. Considering the amount of posts on this issue on Topix, I think that it's good that it's being looked at and that we now know it. What I don't like is that fat-@$$ Ranieri shooting his mouth off. I guess that he would rather sweep this under the rug and let the rumors grow.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  10:47:14 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wildfire132

Personally, I don't think that they were looking for face time. Napolitano is unapposed and has nothing to gain from it. I think that it is just what Napoltnao said. If they say nothing then they're accused of sweeping it under the rug. If they say anythng, they're accused of getting face time. Considering the amount of posts on this issue on Topix, I think that it's good that it's being looked at and that we now know it. What I don't like is that fat-@$$ Ranieri shooting his mouth off. I guess that he would rather sweep this under the rug and let the rumors grow.

I agree.

Raneiri is a city employee that should have kept his mouth shut. I have no idea whether these allegations are true or not but I have heard from “parents” not internet…… that their children asked for money to buy football cards. It very well may not be true, but there is enough “allegations” out there for an investigation. People may think it’s not a big deal, but the law is the law, and it’s illegal. I don’t see what anyone would have to gain from lying about football cards. Peter did the right thing, he brought to the forefront and now it cannot be ignored. He will take heat for it, from the ones that like to sweep things under the rug, just like Tony Raneiri. He has no place on the city council.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  1:02:49 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
REGULAR MEETING OF THE COMMON COUNCIL, MONDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2009, 7:00 PM, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, 3RD FL., EVERETT, MASS

PAPERS FROM THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN

A0241-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
To accept the donation of $117.00 from the Crime Prevention Members to the Everett Police Department Donation Account to supplement their donation account. (Passed sent down for concurrence)

A0250-09 Order/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
Subject to confirmation by the Honorable City Council, and in accordance with M.G.L., Chapter 10, Section 58 and Chapter 18, Section 18-41 of the Everett City Charter, I hereby appoint Tom Hughes to the Traffic Commission for a term of three (3) years ending on October 7, 2012. (Amended by deleting "MGL, C10, S58", confirmed as amended, sent down for concurrence)

A0237-09 Ordinance/s/Alderman Michael Marchese and Alderman Robert Van Campen
To amend Chapter 12, Section 12-9 "Special Licenses for Extended Hours of Operation" of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett by deleting "within two hundred and fifty feet of a residential zone" in paragraph A and that paragraph B of Section 12-9 be amended by adding "and at the discretion of the Board of Aldermen a Police detail may be required" at the end of the sentence. (Ordained, as amended, sent down for ordainment)

C0048-09 Ordinance/s/Councilors Millie Cardello, Peter Napolitano and Sergio Cornelio
To amend Chapter 13, "Offenses and Miscellaneous Provisions" of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett by adding new Section, as follows: “Section 13-23 Sex Offender Residency Restrictions." This Ordinance would regulate the distance a Level 3 sex offender can live from a school, park, or day care center; with a recommendation from the Rules & Ordinances Committee for favorable action on the proposed ordinance by amending all references to 1,500 feet and replacing it to read 1,000 feet. (Enrolled, as amended, in concurrence, sent down for ordainment, as amended.)

A0254-09 Ordinance/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
That Chapter 12, Section 12-48 paragraph (d) of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, 1996, be amended by deleting "$125.00" and replacing it with "$200.00". (Amended by inserting "as most recently amended" after the letter (d), enrolled as amended, sent down for concurrence.)

A0255-09 Ordinance/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
That Chapter 12, Section 12-48 paragraph (d) of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, 1996, be amended by deleting the phrase "Gasoline Service Stations". (Enrolled sent down for enrollment)

COMMITTEE REPORTS

C0126-09 /s/Finance Committee Report
On Resolution/s/Councilor Peter A. Napolitano-That the Fire Chief appear to give the Common Council an update on the current status of all fire engines/apparatus owned by the City of Everett, such as age, condition, service status and projected service life; with a recommendation to refer to the Mayor to create a spending plan to refurbish ladder 1 and replace engine 4.

C0155-09 /s/Public Service Committee Report
On Resolution/s/Councilors Peter Napolitano and Millie Cardello-Request that a representative from New Ventures/Wood Waste of Boston appear to provide an update on the status of starting construction on a permanent structure such as when and where that structure is to be built.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

C0135-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Lou Sierra
Request City Engineer give an update next meeting on the prior request for sidewalk on Lower Mt. Washington Street, on the odd side, as they are still waiting. (Amended to include Morgan Street) (Postponed to this meeting for a report from the City Engineer).

C0158-09 Resolution/s/Councilors Joseph R. King and Rosa DiFlorio
To monitor bike riders in the mornings all over the City to deter speeding and riding on the sidewalks to avoid accidents from occurring; with a recommendation to refer to the Clerk of Committees to investigate further with the City Clerk and respond back at October 19th meeting.

C0106-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
That the Board of Health go to each elderly complex in the City to explain the bed bug issue and that they give out dated materials or information on this to the residents of 381 Ferry Street, Glendale Towers, as there have been many complaints.
(Referred to pest control company to respond back October 19th meeting with report on what procedure is and why they do it.)

C0111-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
That the Chief of Police increase patrols in the Glendale Square area on weekends during the hours of 10:00 p.m. until 2:00 a.m. due to recent activity in that area, and a number of complaints on Ferry Street, Timothy Ave, 381 Ferry Street-Glendale Towers, and Walgreen's parking lot areas. (Referred to Police Chief for written response for October 19th meeting to include Glendale Square, Timothy Ave and Walgreens Parking Lot.)

C0172-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Rosa DiFlorio
That His Honor The Mayor consider putting speed bumps in all municipal parking lots. (Referred to His Honor The Mayor with request for response back this meeting)

C0179-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Stephen Simonelli
To ask the Mayor to appear this meeting to, if feasible, discuss helping out the community business owners in the City with some kind of relief to keep them in our City.

NEW BUSINESS

C0181-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Anthony F. Ranieri
That the Chief of Police hereby instruct all Police Officers to strictly enforce illegal U-Turns and lack of signaling throughout the Community.

C0182-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Anthony F. Ranieri
Seeing that the School Committee is going to open the Adams School, that the Traffic Commission revisit the ordinance to make Tileston Street a one-way during certain hours.

C0183-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Cynthia Sarnie
That the Mayor and the School Department look into more tennis courts for the Everett High School Students.

C0184-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Lorrie Bruno
To invite the Board of Health Director and the School Nurses Supervisor to give an update on flu vaccines and also the HINI vaccines.

C0185-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Daniel Napolitano
To have the Director of Code Enforcement Frank Nuzzo appear to discuss how the City is dealing with the situation of illegal rooming houses/apartments.

C0186-09 Resolution/s/Councilors Lou Sierra and Millie Cardello
To get an update on the grant status for Florence Street Baseball Park.

C0187-09 Resolution/s/Councilors William L. Cardello and Lorrie Bruno
To invite the Water Commission, the Chairman and Department Head, to the Public Service Committee meeting to discuss mistakes in the water bills.

C0188-09 Pursuant to Rule 17 of the Common Council, all resolutions requesting the repair, replacement or maintenance of pavement, sidewalks, traffic signals, signage, playground equipment, or other similar requests, shall be placed on a separate worksheet and voted on collectively at the next formal session, and, if passed, referred to the respective departments for their response back to sponsors.

1.Sponsor: Councilor Rosemary Miller-Linda White, 2 Russell Street, has a driveway on Coburn Terrace. She just put up a new white laminate fence on the entrance to driveway. She has always had a problem with people parking across her driveway and blocking her from getting in or out. I would like to request a “No Parking—Driveway” sign be placed either on a post or on the tree at the edge of her driveway. She needs to be able to get out of the driveway as she works at Mass General. Please advise how soon this matter can be handled.
Referred to: City Services Director and Operations Manager.

2. Sponsor: Councilor Rosemary Miller-Linda White, 2 Russell Street. Tree outside driveway on Coburn Terrace has a large limb that has fallen and needs to be removed. Tree needs to be checked for trimming, condition, etc. to determine whether it should be taken down altogether and replaced with a young healthy tree. Would like to see this taken care of prior to winter weather.
Referred to: City Services Director and Operations Manager.

Adjournment

Respectfully submitted:
C. McCorry,
Everett City Council Office
council@ci.everett.ma.us

Scheduled Meetings:

10/22 6PM FINANCE COMMITTEE MEETING
10/26 6:30pm LICENSE COMMITTEE MEETING
10/26 7PM BOARD OF ALDERMEN MEETING
11/4 6PM JOINT CONVENTION (Minimum Residential Factor)
11/4 7PM COMMON COUNCIL MEETING
11/9 7PM BOARD OF ALDERMEN MEETING

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  9:03:22 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think this is the best piece on the agenda.

C0179-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Stephen Simonelli
To ask the Mayor to appear this meeting to, if feasible, discuss helping out the community business owners in the City with some kind of relief to keep them in our City.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  11:01:15 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I mentioned the need to delete the MGL reference last week and that got addressed. I also mentioned, but not so directly, that the reference to city law should be to the ordinances not the city charter; let’s see if that gets addressed this week. Pieces get amended so that the number of copiers is right; I think that getting the proper legal authority for a piece right is probably just a little more important.

I know that a lot of people are convinced that we need to get rid of the bi-camel legislature but this is one instance where it can be a benefit. If we do go to a uni-camel government, it’s clear that its members will have to be held to a higher standard.

I’d also still like to know which ward Mr. Hughes lives in and if he will be the sole representative on the Traffic Commission from that ward as the ordinances require.

As I pointed out in my post-BOA meeting comments, I believe that this piece needs to be amended to change the modified paragraph from (d) to (b).

As I referenced last week, in order for the capital improvement list to become a reality, you need to have a plan, not just a glorified wish list. This proposal sounds like what’s been talked about for months now; let’s see if it gets followed thru upon.

Last month, I heard that Wood Waste couldn’t show up at the Public Service Committee meeting. This month’s meeting was held last Thursday night. I happened to drive by City Hall that night around 6:30 PM and the lights were still on. I took that as a good sign as it was the only item on their agenda. Maybe we’ll actually hear something about this Monday night, perhaps even including some confirmation of the rumor that Massdee posted in the “Rumor” thread about the Lower Broadway site.

Just a guess but don’t you think that at least a part of the answer will be that there is no money to re-do the sidewalks for these streets at this time? If this is the case, someone should ask where the money came from to do the walk directly behind City Hall recently came from.

This bike thing is probably a valid issue but just how does anyone expect this to be enforced unless the police just happen to be in the area at the time?

11. + 12.
Other than the fact that someone seems to be pandering for votes, why are these items still on the agenda? They should have been referred out to the Board of Health and the police, respectively, to do their jobs. If they didn’t take care of them properly, then call them up to have them explain why.

What about this idea. Why don’t we get some of the “speed bumps” out of city government and use them? Pick your own favorites. What...that won’t work? Nutz!

I know that Councilor Simonelli’s heart is the right place by trying to get small businesses a tax break, especially given how hard they were hit with last year’s property tax increase. But I hope he does realize that, no matter what, as a whole, the city still needs to raise the same amount of taxes in total. The question then becomes exactly who is going to pay what portion of them.

Doesn’t this piece give the implication that the police aren’t enforcing these infractions when they see them now? I don’t know if the councilor feels that this is the case. To me, isn’t this another instance where the police can’t be everywhere all the time?

I certainly see the issue down at the Adams School. I don’t know what was done there in the past when the school was open. I think that making it a one way street only at certain times of the day would be difficult to enforce unless it had dedicated enforcement, which would be tough to do. But something probably needs to be done there; let’s see what they come up with.

Yes, tennis courts were lost and never replaced when the new school was built. But just where does Councilor Sarnie propose that they put new ones? The city only has limited space. They can’t be at the seven acre park; that’s only supposed to be for passive use and she wants to turn the whole thing into a dog park anyway. Let’s hope that she has some ideas of where to place them to go along with her request.

I’m not sure what the purpose of this piece is. I really don’t expect to hear anything new about how the city is dealing with illegal rooming houses/apartments.

I’m not exactly sure what kind of grant that the councilors are looking to get for the park. The city isn’t eligible for another park grant like they got for the stadium until the stadium grant has run its course.

Even though it looks like this piece is headed to committee, I hope that there is some discussion of it Monday night. We got our latest water bill on last week, well after the issue of questionable bills reared its ugly head; it was almost significantly higher than our last one without any reason we can point to on our part.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  8:43:13 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it me. or does it sound like FFF wrote that letter aboutthe tennis courts?

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  9:25:11 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh well. No luck.

Again, oh well. At least this one still needs two more readings before it is ordained.

So, the Lower Broadway parcel was sold to someone else. That’s probably why Mr. Thibeault has had a suit pending against the previous owner of the parcel since June per the Registry of Deeds website. I’m not convinced that this is over and won’t be until the building is built. But, I’m a lot more convinced that it’s likely to happen; it’s just that I’ve learned to believe it when I see it when it comes to Mr. Thibeault.

Councilor Hicks was right. Isn’t the Housing Authority a separate entity that the city has little control over? The city hasn’t been very successful in the past when they have tried to get involved down there. I feel sorry for the people that live there but what went on this piece tonight would be comical if it wasn’t sad.

Big surprise. The speed bump piece hit a speed bump.

I forgot that this piece was supposed to be amended the last time, not that it really mattered. I don’t see this going anywhere and it’s likely that even if it were to be considered, it couldn’t be implemented until next tax year anyway.

Only three places in the city where U-turns are illegal? Did I really hear that?

So there is/was something on the books to make Tileston Street a one-way during certain hours? As I said before, I just see that being difficult to deal with unless there is dedicated enforcement.

Sounded like the tennis team might have already come up empty trying to deal with the School Department. Or maybe Massdee is right and FFF told them to try to make it the city's problem.

As expected. What was the point?

Another item that is likely to be hanging around for quite some time.

So nothing is wrong with the water bills now?

22. & 23.
OK. I feel sorry for the woman but tonight just proved that these types of items don’t belong on an agenda, worksheet or not. Why won’t phone calls take care of issues like these?
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  08:54:56 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did I hear Frank Nuzzo correctly? Code violations for the homeowner is a $300.00 a day fine per violation. It doesn't make sense to me, when Wood Waste was in code violation, their fine was only $20.00 a day.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  09:05:00 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw item 19 and do not understand what Frank Nuzzo was saying about issuing tickets. Why take one person to court over a ticket, and it costs the taxpayers $450.00 for every time you go to court? If people are just ignoring them, as he said, why not just add these fees onto the owner’s taxes?

If they are absentee landlords, maybe they will start waking up.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2