Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Announcements
 Com Council/2009
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  10:26:31 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to concur with you on the council president. I think she's doing a great job. What a change. Now her focus needs to be on the two bully's.....Raneiri and W. Cardello. They give you a headache.
Go to Top of Page

Wildfire132

31 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  08:57:50 AM  Show Profile Send Wildfire132 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding item 11, the City Council can not change the Charter in regards to the School Committee. Remember that the last change regarding the chool Committe had to go before the voters. The City Council has no authority. Hopefully ther School Committee will take the Councils lead. By the way did anyone notice that Simonelli voted against item 11? And how did the School Committee meeting go last night?
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  09:12:45 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did notice that with Simonelli and I think it was a bad decision is the heat of the moment. Look what he goes through.

He's chastised, tried to look like a fool, and we at home can hear in the background the grumbles. Lorrie Bruno grumbles because she signed off on the original site assignment for Wood Waste when she was on the BOH.

Most on the common council takes advantage of him because he does not speak well. SO WHAT if he wants to send a piece to the Board of Alderman. He did that because the deadline was March 1st and this issue has been swept under the rug. We were told a month ago 7-10 days. Why is the common council so afraid of the Board of Alderman?

Although I was not happy he voted against sending item 11 to the Board of Alderman, I'm not holding that against him. I give him a lot of credit, and I feel bad for him, as many others do.

Edited by - Tails on 02/18/2009 09:13:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  12:07:07 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wildfire,

Sorry, but I disagree. The section of the city charter that was modified so that no one could run for more than one office, if you read it, included the Mayor, the City Council and the School Committee. Assistant City Solicitor Murphy confirmed the same when she was up before the council two weeks ago. While I generally agree that the City Council has no authority over the schools and the school committee, this is one area where I believe that they do.

I wrote up what I saw of the school committee meeting and posted that in the school committee thread.

Edited by - tetris on 02/18/2009 12:07:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wildfire132

31 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  2:13:08 PM  Show Profile Send Wildfire132 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tetris, I stand corrected. You are right that an Order was sent to the State legislature to prohibit anyone from running for more than one seat was passed, but it took a year & a half before it was a Charter Change. What I meant was that the Council cannot force the School Committee to accept item 11. They could probably send it too the School Committee after the Aldermen sign on. The change I mentioned had to do with the S.C.'s term of office which was changed sometime in the late 80's or early 90's by a ballot vote, but you are right about the charter change.

Now, regarding Simonelli. Does anyone really think that the Council is taking advantage of him? I think he's playing politics. When Ragucci, a well known supporter of Wood Waste was in Office, Simonelli said nothing. He was just as silent under Hanlon. The problems with Wood Waste didn't just pop up. He picked up on a topic left over from Joe McGonagle. I live in ward 1 and spoke to Millie Cardillo a few months ago. She told me that both her & Napolatano separately tried to talk to Simonelli when he first started making noise and he told them to mind their own business. It's their ward so I would think that it was their business. After talking to a number of the Common Council, most feel he's planning on running for Alderman Ward 2 and that he's really shilling for Marchese & Matewsky. I don't know if any of that is true, but it could explain alot, especially why they won't send his stuff after they vote it down to the Board. After all, he really goes out of his way stretch the truth when it comes to Wood Waste. Granted Wood Waste is bad news, but it doesn't stop him from going on & on. Look at his piece about the Pension Plan. Trying to blame the Mayor for that too. Honestly, I think he's alienated the majority of his colleagues. He's lost his credibility.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  2:45:29 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’m sorry, I don’t believe for one second that Steve Simonelli said “Mind your own business” UNLESS they were trying to get him to back off, for what ever where the reasons for that.

The reason Wood Waste is front burner right now is because the landfill’s cease & desist is from 3/18/2008. Yes the piles were always at Wood Waste but the landfill was also opened. Wood Waste was sending materials to the landfill up until the cease and desist. That’s the problem people have with this.

I also do not think he blamed Mayor DeMaria at all about the pension system. Anybody who follows knows who is to blame for that.

I don’t understand why this administration and some on the common council take such offense when asked these questions, like Wood Waste and the Pension System. It affects the entire city, it should not be kept secret. Look what happened when the Pension System was kept secret with David Ragucci. It never got paid!
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  12:21:26 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
REGULAR MEETING OF THE COMMON COUNCIL, MONDAY, MARCH 2, 2009, 7:00 PM, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, 3RD FL., EVERETT, MASS

COMMUNICATIONS FROM HIS HONOR THE MAYOR

C0027-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $100.00 from Councilor Joseph R. King to the Department of Veterans Services Gift Account to be used by the Veteran's Department to supplement their account.

C0028-09  Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To transfer $91,000.00 from the MWRA Sewer Account to the Unemployment Compensation Account to cover higher than anticipated costs of our unemployment compensation.

C0029-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $250.00 from the George Keverian School Student Council Builders Club to the Mayor's Office of Human Services-Emergency Services Account to support the Emergency Program for Everett residents.

C0030-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To authorize the use of $80,000.00 from the City Services Capital Outlay Equipment Vehicles Account for the purpose of purchasing the following piece of equipment: One (1) Sidewalk Sweeper.

C0034-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $2,500.00 from the Everett Co-Operative Bank to the Mayor's Office of Community Development Beautification Program Account.

C0035-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $100.00 from John Rush and Family to the Stadium Renovation Project Account.

PAPERS FROM THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN

A0015-09 Ordinance/s/Aldermen L. Charles DiPerri and Robert Van Campen
Regulating the process for permitting a block party, amended by deleting the last sentence in Section D "The fee charged for the permit shall be twenty-five dollars ($25.00)". (Ordained, as amended, sent down for ordainment.)

A0016-09 Ordinance/s/Alderman L. Charles DiPerri, as President
Reducing the number of precincts per ward from three to two.

COMMUNICATIONS

C0247-08  
Traffic Commission Report on Resolution offered by Councilor Sarnie and Councilor Sierra to request that the traffic department place a red blinking light at the corner of 388 Main Street; with a recommendation to refer back to sponsors.

C0249-08  
Traffic Commission Report on Resolution offered by Councilor William L. Cardello-That the Owner of Dunkin Donuts on Broadway and the Police Chief attend the next public safety committee meeting to discuss traffic on Broadway between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m.; with a recommendation to refer back to sponsor.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

C0248-08  
Committee on Administrative Affairs Report on Resolution offered by Councilor Sergio Cornelio the due to economic downturn expected from the State, that the Mayor consider implementing a home rule petition for a five-year early retirement incentive, so we can have people let go through attrition instead of layoffs; with a recommendation that the matter be referred back to Sponsor.

C0225-08  
Committee on Rules and Ordinances Report on Ordinance offered by Councilor Peter Napolitano-That the City of Everett amend the signage ordinance to include political graffiti.

C0014-09  
Committee on Rules & Ordinances Report on Ordinance offered by Councilor John Leo McKinnon-To look into the feasibility of extending the Designation of Residential Parking Sticker Program Section 18-148 City of Everett Ordinances by adding the days Saturday and Sunday to the existing Ordinance to cover the week end due to large numbers of vehicles parking on the streets and not having the parking to compensate for them on the weekends.

C0016-09  
Committee on Rules & Ordinances Report on Ordinance offered by Councilors Rosa DiFlorio and Millie Cardello-To establish an ordinance allowing "only sedan cars" to park at legal (20 feet from corner point) intersecting corners and intersections throughout the City of Everett.

C0017-09  
Committee on Rules & Ordinances Report on Resolution offered by Councilor Daniel J. Napolitano-To invite the Director of Code Enforcement, the City Solicitor and the Director of City Services to attend this meeting to discuss the proposal of an ordinance regarding people shoveling their sidewalks.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

C0227-08 Resolution/s/Councilor Peter A. Napolitano
That the DCR erect a "School Zone" sign within the appropriate distance on Route 16 for both eastbound and westbound traffic in the vicinity of the Whittier School in the interest of public safety. (Laid on table to this meeting to seek information from State Representative Smith)

NEW BUSINESS

C0031-09 Common Council Worksheet
1. Councilor Catherine Tomassi Hicks requests that the pot holes on Wyllis Ave and Pierce Ave be filled in. She realizes half belongs to Malden; perhaps Director can contact Malden to coordinate and resolve pothole problems on these streets.
Referred to City Services Director Brian Zaniboni.
2. Councilor John Leo McKinnon requests that the sign pole on the corner of Shute and Westover Street be replaced, as it is bent over mid way to the ground, in the interest of resident concerns.
Referred to City Services Director Mr. Brian Zaniboni.

C0032-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
That the Mayor give an update on the start of the beautification program and what will be done with said program throughout the City in the Spring.

C0033-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
That the Director of City Services give an update on road conditions throughout the City in regards to potholes and when he is planning to repair them. This can be in written format so that it can be shared with the other colleagues if he so chooses to do so, or he can appear at the next meeting to give said update.

Adjournment

Respectfully submitted,

Caroline McCorry,
Everett City Council Office,
council@ci.everett.ma.us

SCHEDULED CITY COUNCIL MEETINGS

3/9 7pm Board of Aldermen
3/16 7pm Next Common Council Meeting
3/18 6pm Bills & Accounts Committee Meeting
3/23 7pm Board of Aldermen meeting

www.You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  12:54:26 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like it will be a fairly quick meeting.

I have just a few comments.

#2.
Why is the Unemployment Compensation Account higher than anticipated? Has the city already begun layoff's?

#4.
Do we really need a sidewalk sweeper at this point in time? I would rather see that money put aside towards the purchase of a firetruck.

#12.
Again, what is "political graffiti?"

#15.
I hope there is some action on this. It really is a public safety issue.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  2:54:23 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
$91,000.00 is an awful lot of money for "higher than anticipated" unemployment compensation.

Who is it that is so obsessed with the sweeping? $80,000.00 for a new piece of equipment to sweep sidewalks is not necessary when your looking for 91K for "higher than anticipated" unemployment compensation. Of course if the economy was better and the city was in good financial shape, that would be a good idea. I cant believe the amount of unnecessary spending that goes on.

Sure...lay-off people but have all this new equipment for "clean streets" now "clean sidewalks" give me a break. Use the $80,000.00 for people's salaries so they can support their families instead of being another statistic in the unemployment line. I really hope that gets sent to finance committee.

Have crappy equipment for firefighters and cross our fingers that God forbid, nothing happens while the administration researches grants for firetrucks.

Or.....if you cant use the 80K to save jobs then go and research grants for sidewalk sweepers and let the firefighters who risk their lives everyday have the 80K towards a new truck!

Edited by - Tails on 02/26/2009 2:56:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  3:06:00 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like other posters on the board, I'm uncertain exactly where the shortfall in unemployment compensation comes from. In fact, during the last budget cycle, the original budget for this line item was increased from $300,000 in FY08 to $400,000 in FY09. The FY09 appropriation was later cut by $15,000 after a suggestion by Mr. Henderson as he was basically coming up with enough cuts to offset what would gave been his projected salary if his position hadn't been eliminated. So if (when) this transfer is approved, the budget for this line item will have increased by $176,000 or 59% in one fiscal year!

If you are unaware of how unemployment is paid, you are assigned a rate by the state every year which you pay as a percentage of your payroll. This rate is based upon your past experience and is calculated on a number of factors including people who have filed claims against you, their salaries when they worked for you, how much you have previously paid into the fund, etc. It makes sense that there would be an increase in the rate this year as a number of higher (by city standards) paid employees were let go over the course of calendar year 2008. But, an increase of almost 60% needs to be explained....throughly!

Also, the other side of the transfer needs some explanation as well. The MWRA Sewer account has already been hit for $8,000; this transfer will make almost $100,000 that has been taken from this line item. The MWRA Water line item was also hit for $32,000. I thought the MWRA line items were set based upon the MWRA assessments that you receive before you finalize the budget. That way you are able to raise only what you need to satisfy that assessment. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I believe that this bears some explanation as well.

When I first read this line item, I thought to myself, there was no money budgeted in City Services for vehicles. I had to think about it for a while but then it dawned on me. This must be money left over from the appropriation last fall to buy all of the vehicles for City Services. Maybe Alderman Van Campen knew something last Monday night that he didn't fully share with us. I wonder if all of the vehicles originally scheduled for purchase were acquired and, if so, what the total amount of the surplus appropriation was.

Let me get this out of the way first. I'm glad that the administration is doing the right thing by coming back to the City Council for authorization to spend this money on something that was not part of the original appropriation. I still recall the fiasco when the City Engineer came back to the City Council looking for funds to do additional state mandated work on the plans for the reconstruction of Lower Broadway. When the engineer was questioned, it was revealed that the money appropriated for the original plans turned out to be more than was needed. When asked what happened to the excess funds, the engineer revealed that they used them to do some street reconstruction. That didn't seem to go over real well. So I again, I'm glad that this is being done correctly.

With that said, I don't get. I don't care how the money was originally appropriated; the next vehicle that the city needs to purchase is a fire engine and I've already said my piece on that. Whatever happened to "guys with brooms"?

Well, there's $100 towards the stadium rehab; how much more is needed? There's going to be some pretty pissed off people (Nuzzo, FFF, to name a couple) if the matching funds that the city needs to raise to secure the grant that they have already been awarded aren't found. The clock's ticking.

9./10./11.
As usual, I'm sure that these items will get referred back to sponsor without any comment. It's too bad; I have some interest in some of them. I don't see why, especially with a short agenda, they couldn't take a minute to address these.

12./13./14./15.
Again, it looks like the R & O meeting hadn't been held at the time the agenda was put together. So, we'll have to wait and see (there it is again!) what's really up on these.

1. A well thought out item from Councilor Hicks. Will wonders never cease? Maybe she should submit all of her stuff in writing.

Since when has Councilor McKinnon been interested in the beautification program? Sniff, Sniff. What doesn't smell right here?

I don't know. I would think that potholes get fixed as soon as possible after they are reported or noticed. What more information would you need?
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  8:20:02 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leo McKinnon and Billy Cardello are very rude during the meetings. They both come off as being very full of themselves.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  8:38:12 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did someone think that this was just going to pass without any questions?

I'm glad that that somebody did their homework and saved the city $150,000+ of the $1.3 million on the city service new equipment. But, the savings should go to a fire truck. Why can't the business owners be responsible for cleaning the sidewalk outside of their businesses?

If Councilor McKinnon watched the BOA meeting, why was it necessary to get up and say his piece?

So the city will plow the sidewalks on the main drags; now the city will be cleaning the same sidewalks. So the business and the homeowners that are located on these get a break. And people who live else will be fined if they don't shovel their sidewalk. While I am in favor of the shoveling ordinance, it's not something that needs to be put into place tomorrow; winter's almost over (we open), Spend the time. Figure every thing out. Try to address everyone's concerns as best as humanly possible. Look what over cities do. I just don't see the hurry.

Did I hear that they may re-think the landscaping design at the rotary?

Why is there such a need to take the agenda out of order? If you have speakers on particular pieces, I get it. To take items just to get them out of the way actually slows things down, in my opinion.

Do these people realize that they are on television you can see them in the background showing their distain and making motions while other are speaking.

I'd guess that Councilor McKinnon must have gotten spoken to about violating the five minute rule at prior meetings. I thought that the snide remark and pointing to his wrist while others were speaking didn't seem very mature.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  9:24:57 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder why item 2 was not resolved while the Mayor was in the chambers. I didn't understand that. Why does he have to wait while they are all speaking for an hour over a shoveling ordinance at the end of winter?

That said, this is a perfect example of what a mistake, for a city this size, not having a Personnel Director. I am appalled at the city solicitor for her lack of knowledge on the issue. Remember.....Erin was approved for a while as City Solicitor and Colleen was supposed to be the Deputy/Personnel Director.

The side walk sweeper is not tragic, I guess, but I am disappointed with every week that goes by we are seeing equipment for city services, and what not, on the agenda, and the fire/safety has to research grants. It's not right.

On item 18...was it mentioned who will be doing the rotary over? It has been an eyesore and this started last summer. Seems as if Wood Waste has issued a Cease and Desist on the rotary.......

What happened to the Committee Reports? That is frustrating to people that do not have the agenda in front of them and these items are not read, because everyone is in a big hurry. If your in a big hurry, follow the 5 minute rule.

I honestly do not know why these councilors bicker so much. Are they not allowed to speak at home and they take their aggravation out on TV? One of the Napolitano's was saying something while Leo was talking, and he got upset. I don't believe it was Daniel. I don't know what's going on, or if something else not seen is going on, but Peter Napolitano has been very disrespectful. Maybe he needs to take a breath and sit back and let the President run the meetings. I'm not excusing Leo's childish behavior but this is a city meeting, and Peter, Billy, and Tony all need to grow up and stop jumping in and taking everything so personal. I still say that the Common Council President is running good meetings, there's no reason to jump all over her. That's what Jimmy Marchant is there for, to tell her roll call or voice vote, or whatever.

I'm sure the drama club at the High School would welcome volunteers.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  9:39:21 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
#2.
I do not understand the mayor leaving the building before this piece was taken. I hope it isn't something that was needed immediately.

#4.
I still believe it is more important to purchase a fire truck. The City can certainly do without a sidewalk sweeper.

#8.
It seems like Leo McKinnon just wanted face time........again!

#13.
I missed this one, what happened?

#15.
Where do I start? I'm on the fence with this one. I would be really ticked if I received a fine for not shoveling and someone else didn't. It always seems like the homeowners are getting penalized.

BTW, I can remember sidewalk plows here in Everett and they plowed all the sidewalks, not just the main streets.

I think this piece will need some work. Hopefully, the BOA will send it to committee.

#18.
I was very happy to hear they are going to re-think the landscaping down at the rotary. It is really an eye sore down there. I thought they had placed a cease and desist order on the rotary instead of Wood Waste.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  9:52:03 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
#13 was granted further time in committee Massdee.

I do remember a sidewalk plow doing my street once the the past. But, it was probably 40 years ago. Yikes, am I old!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2