Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Announcements
 Com Council/2009
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  11:12:06 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was dead set against the shoveling ordinance on item 15. However, after this morning, something needs to be done. I am still not sure that this type of an ordinance is the way to go, but something needs to be done.

The reason I say this ordinance would not have helped for today is because it's giving people 48 hours to clear the snow. The sidewalks walking to school were atrocious this morning. The kids were all walking on the streets.

I too am starting to think that the one sided parking "might" not be a bad idea, especially after what I saw today.

Cars could not get up and down two way streets, the kids were walking in the street, it was awful.

I also saw a sidewalk plow plowing on lower Broadway this morning. He was plowing in front of businesses and houses. Why cant they do that for the schools?

What needs to be worked on is the sidewalks, and enforcing the odd/even parking during a storm. If that happens, we will have much less of a problem. I would much rather have people safe during a snow storm then worrying about big flowers in the spring.

Edited by - Tails on 03/03/2009 11:15:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

michael

195 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  1:44:46 PM  Show Profile Send michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
good question tails why can't they do that for the schools? Did you see in city hall today the mayor moved his spot with a new sign cause he couldn't get out of his car where he was parked before. lmao
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  2:25:42 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I did notice the "Parking reserved for Mayor Carlo DeMaria Jr" was removed. I thought it was because that lot belongs to the taxpayers, he doesn't own it but I thought there was more to the story.

I was LMAO.

Those sidewalk sweepers should have all the school areas done first. That sidewalk plow was doing a good job and it wouldn't take that long.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  11:22:50 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
REGULAR MEETING OF THE COMMON COUNCIL, MONDAY, MARCH 16, 2009, 7:00 PM, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, 3RD FL., EVERETT

COMMUNICATIONS FROM HIS HONOR THE MAYOR

C0042-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $100.00 from Councilor Joseph King to the Mayor's Office of Human Services-Emergency Services Account.

C0043-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the Federal LSTA Grant of $8,432.00 administered by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners to the Parlin and Shute Memorial Library-Serving Tweens and Teens Account.

C0044-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $1,000.00 from the Bond Brother Employees to the Mayor's Office of Human Services-Emergency Services Account.

C0045-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $200.00 from the Everett Emblem Club to the Mayor's Office of Human Services-Emergency Services Account.

PAPERS FROM THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN

A0311-08 Ordinance/s/Alderman Robert J. Van Campen
That the City of Everett enact a "Social Host Responsibility" Ordinance thereby prohibiting the services to and consumption of alcoholic beverages and drugs by persons under the age of twenty-one (21) at private premises located within the City. (Enrolled sent down for enrollment)

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

C0028-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To transfer $91,000.00 from the MWRA Sewer Account to the Unemployment Compensation Account to cover higher than anticipated costs of our unemployment compensation. (Postponed from last meeting)

C0227-08 Resolution/s/Councilor Peter A. Napolitano
That the DCR erect a "School Zone" sign within the appropriate distance on Route 16 for both eastbound and westbound traffic in the vicinity of the Whittier School in the interest of public safety. (Laid on table to this meeting to seek information from State Representative Smith)

NEW BUSINESS

C0036-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Rosa DiFlorio
That the Recycling Coordinator, Mr. Jon Norton, appear this meeting relative to giving an update on recycling credits.

C0037-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Rosa DiFlorio
That the City Services Wire Department consider re-adjusting the traffic light at the intersection of School Street and Corey Street due to lots of complaints it is too long on one side and blocking traffic on the other side.

C0038-09 Ordinance/s/Councilors Rosa DiFlorio and Cynthia Sarnie
To consider amending the Parking Sticker Program by eliminating the $10.00 fee for renewals, at the request of numerous constituents who were unaware of the renewal process. [C18:S149 (c)]

C0039-09 CC Worksheet
1. Sponsor: Councilor Catherine Tomassi Hicks: Fill in potholes at corner of Wyllis and True Street, entire length of Wyllis Ave, Elm Way, corner of Belrock and Wyllis Avenue, corner of Valley Street and Waters Ave.
REFER TO CITY SERVICES
2. Sponsor: Councilor Catherine Tomassi Hicks: Replace True Street sign, as it is down.
REFER TO CITY SERVICES SIGN DIVISION
3. Sponsor: Councilor Catherine Tomassi Hicks: Clean sidewalks of debris on Valley Street and Waters Ave, especially at the intersecting corner.
REFER TO CITY SERVICES

C0040-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Catherine Tomassi Hicks
To invite Mr. Tiberio, Owner and Property Manager of Britney Place, to appear this meeting relative to giving an update on the completion of the agreement for additional conditions.

C0041-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Anthony F. Ranieri
That the City of Everett is adamantly opposed to Insurance Commissioner Nonnie Burnes' proposal to do away with surcharge process and putting it in the hands of the insurance companies.

C0046-09 Ordinance/s/Councilors Cynthia Sarnie, Rosa DiFlorio and Alderman Sal Sachetta
To amend the amount of the Parking Fine/Fee for parking within ten (10) feet of a fire hydrant or within any designated fire lane from $300.00 to $100.00. List of fees kept on file in the City Clerk's Office.

Adjournment

Respectfully submitted:

Caroline McCorry
Everett City Council Office
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  8:59:40 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually try to put a new spin on my comments for the various items every time that they appear on the agenda in an effort to keep them somewhat interesting. I hope anyways. But, since this item went nowhere last time, I'm going to repeat my comments from last time because I just feel that they were important.

Like other posters on the board, I'm uncertain exactly where the shortfall in unemployment compensation comes from. In fact, during the last budget cycle, the original budget for this line item was increased from $300,000 in FY08 to $400,000 in FY09. The FY09 appropriation was later cut by $15,000 after a suggestion by Mr. Henderson as he was basically coming up with enough cuts to offset what would gave been his projected salary if his position hadn't been eliminated. So if (when) this transfer is approved, the budget for this line item will have increased by $176,000 or 59% in one fiscal year!

If you are unaware of how unemployment is paid, you are assigned a rate by the state every year which you pay as a percentage of your payroll. This rate is based upon your past experience and is calculated on a number of factors including people who have filed claims against you, their salaries when they worked for you, how much you have previously paid into the fund, etc. It makes sense that there would be an increase in the rate this year as a number of higher (by city standards) paid employees were let go over the course of calendar year 2008. But, an increase of almost 60% needs to be explained....throughly!

Also, the other side of the transfer needs some explanation as well. The MWRA Sewer account has already been hit for $8,000; this transfer will make almost $100,000 that has been taken from this line item. The MWRA Water line item was also hit for $32,000. I thought the MWRA line items were set based upon the MWRA assessments that you receive before you finalize the budget. That way you are able to raise only what you need to satisfy that assessment. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I believe that this bears some explanation as well.

Not sure where Councilor DiFlorio is going with this. I know that we've had discussion on the board before that the options for redeeming recycling credits may be somewhat limited and/or fairly "expensive" in the way of points. I'm not sure how much, if any, control the city has over that other than to voice the concern to the vendor or maybe finding another vendor when the contract comes up for renewal, if there are any others with such a program. I look at it this way. There's no problem with voicing the concern but we should be recycling anyways to benefit the earth and to keep local taxes down. The points are just a bonus. If you can use them fine, if not, oh well.

I hate this light. It's probably needed but, it's in a bad place. It will be hard to set the timing of it to keep everybody happy.

After all this time, people don't know how the sticker program works? Give me a break. Not that I'm a big fan of this fee but if people aren't paying attention, they get what they get. That goes for a lot more than just the parking sticker program. Sorry, it's just the way that I feel.

Can't say that I know a lot about Britney Place but I'm willing to listen.

When did Jason Marcus move back to the Common Council? Seriously, largely symbolic but probably the right thing to do.

A stiff fee for this offense is required but, $100 should teach the same lesson as $300. It would probably be difficult to enforce this way but, in my opinion, multiple time offenders of the fire hydrant parking rules should probably be charged escalating fees for multiple offenses.

Last week, I wanted to bet on how long it would take for the words "fire truck" came up in the sidewalk sweeper debate. Since I lost that bet so badly, I think I'll pass on betting whether or not either the CC and/or the school commitee meetings are aired live tomorrow night. Neither station appears to be making much progress returning to anything approximating their normal operations.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  11:13:52 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't understand the issues with ECTV. Channel 16 has been a blank screen since Tuesday. The director's memo said it would be down Tuesday and maybe Wednesday.

Are they having technical difficulties with the upgrading too?
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  10:17:12 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not really sure why they didn't invite the sponsor as well.

Wow; did I miss on this one! The City Auditor was right; there was a transfer approved in February 2008 for an additional $130,000 to be transferred to the unemployment line item. Not sure how I missed that. So the real increase in this line item came between FY07 and FY08 when the actual expense went from $253K to $405K (if I heard Mr. DeCoste correctly), though admittedly, the cost in FY06 was $286K. The $15,000 cut suggested by Mr. Henderson seems inappropriate now but it's hard to know what you're going to spend for this line item unless you know exactly who you are going to fire during the course of the year. Not something easily predicted.

Obviously, I was also unaware that municipalities can handle their unemployment payments differently than private employers. Sorry about that. It would therefore make sense that when you let go a number of employees, as you would in the transition from one administration to another, your expenses would go up dramatically when you are on a pay-as-go plan rather than the state holding accumulated funds.

Though the explanation was fine, I'm less happy with the answers from the MWRA side of the issue. I thought that the MWRA assessments were done so that you could accurately raise only the money that you needed to pay them. Otherwise, the city is forced to raise more via the tax rate than they actually need. Lets just hope that this can't work the other way as well, i.e., the MWRA can't bill you for more than their initial assessment. That would be very ugly.

Though some of my own thoughts on the issue were wrong and I didn't like everything that I heard, I felt that the right questions were asked and believable answers were provided in this discussion. Let's hope that this a sign of good things to come in the upcoming budget season.

I think that it would be better if the councilors (and aldermen for that matter) would submit agenda items that contain more accurate descriptions of their intentions (Item 10 has the same problem.) It's a nice idea to be able to donate your points to a deserving cause. We'll see where this goes.

Does Billy Cardello think that everyone else can read minds? Is the city able to change the timing of the lights on Broadway or is that Mass Highway's responsibility? It must have been two years ago when the issue of the length of the walk cycle in the Everett Square was first brought up and nothing has ever been changed down there.

As I said, agenda items need to be clearer. I certainly agree, no one needs to be charged for a replacement sticker if they already had one unless they were somehow abusing the privilege.

I guess that this is a little more than symbolic but it really will be the actions of the state legislature that are needed to correct this. I'm usually not Councilor Ranieri's biggest fan but I thought that he made some very right on comments about the Governor and the Legislature this evening.

It doesn't make sense that Everett's fine for fire hydrant/lane infractions is so much more than surrounding cities. $100 is a sufficient deterrent in my book.

I was puzzled why Millie Cardello stepped down from the chair a couple of times this evening and didn't take a seat on the floor. The only explanation I could come up with is, as I recall, the items concerned the Parking Clerk's Office and her son works there. I think that may be a little be of overkill for the type of issues being discussed but I guess it's better to err of the side of caution. It was just a little scary to see Lorrie Bruno back in that seat so soon. Overall, not the smoothest CC meeting of the year.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  10:31:14 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote

AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA

REGULAR MEETING OF THE COMMON COUNCIL, MONDAY, APRIL 6, 2009, 7:00 PM, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, 3RD FL., EVERETT, MASS

COMMUNICATIONS FROM HIS HONOR THE MAYOR
1. C0059-09 Ordinance/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To add new chapter and sections to the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, Chapter 2A, Section 2A-1 and Section 2A-2, providing for the combination of our inspectional departments including Code Enforcement, Building, Health and Wire Departments, allowing these departments to work more efficiently and effectively while dealing with inspections.

2. C0060-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To transfer $32,099.00 from the following accounts into E911 Salary Account to fund the settlement of the Local 25 E911 contract for Fiscal Year 2009: Mayor's Reserve $15,000.00, Bank Charges $4,099.00 and MWRA Water $13,000.00. This request is due to the 3% settlement of the FY 09 Local 25 E911 contract.

3. C0061-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $833.00 from the Century Bank to the Mayor's Office of Human Services-Fire Victims Fund Account.

4. C0062-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $404.00 from the following people to the Mayor's Office of Human Services-Gift Account to support the Everett Literacy Program for Everett Residents: E. Herrara $25.00, Therese M. Bluhm $50.00 and Students of the Everett Literacy Program $329.00.

5. C0063-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $100.00 from the Vietnam Veterans Association to the Department of Veterans Services-Gift Account.

6. C0064-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $440.00 from the following people to the Mayor's Office of Human Services-Gift Account to be used to support the Everett Literacy Program for Everett residents: David & Alex Cist $100.00, Betty Cantor $75.00, Paul & Clair Crosby $100.00 and Students of the Everett Literacy Program $165.00.

7. C0065-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $833.00 from the Century Bank to the Mayor's Office of Human Services-Emergency Services Program Account.

PAPERS FROM THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN
8. A0088-09 Ordinance/s/Alderman Wayne Matewsky and Councilor Millie Cardello
That the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett Chapter 18, Section 18-138 Service zones in Metered and Non-Metered Areas is hereby amended by adding to the list kept on file in the City Clerk's Office, the following: No person shall park a vehicle longer than fifteen minutes at 42 Clinton Street, from Tuesday through Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Amended to read Wednesday through Saturday-store is closed Monday and Tuesday). Enrolled as amended, sent down for enrollment.

COMMUNICATIONS
9. C0046-09
Traffic Commission Report on Ordinance offered by Councilors Sarnie, DeFlorio and Alderman Sachetta, et al: To amend the amount of the Parking Fine/Fee for parking within ten (10) feet of a fire hydrant or within any designated fire lane from $300.00 to $100.00. List of fees kept on file in the City Clerk's Office; WITH A FAVORABLE RECOMMENDATION (AMENDED TO READ EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2009 TO ALLOW TIME FOR EXISTING SUPPLY TO BE EXHAUSED TO AVOID REPRINTING CHARGES).

UNFINISHED BUSINESS
10. A0311-08 Ordinance/s/Alderman Robert J. Van Campen
That the City of Everett enact a "Social Host Responsibility" Ordinance thereby prohibiting the services to and consumption of alcoholic beverages and drugs by persons under the age of twenty-one (21) at private premises located within the City. (Enrolled sent down for enrollment)
(Laid on table to this meeting to invite Police Chief and City Solicitor to attend on the matter)

11. C0038-09 Ordinance/s/Councilors Rosa DiFlorio and Cynthia Sarnie
To consider amending the Parking Sticker Program by eliminating the $10.00 fee for renewals, at the request of numerous constituents who were unaware of the renewal process. [C18:S149 (c)] (Laid on the table to this meeting to invite Parking Clerk, Mr. Kelly, to appear on the matter.)

NEW BUSINESS
12. C0047-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Leo McKinnon
That the Police Chief and the Licensing Board appear this meeting to discuss establishments within the City of Everett that have Police details to be able to be opened and granted a 2 a.m. license to operate.

13. C0048-09 Ordinance/s/Councilors Millie Cardello, Peter Napolitano and Sergio Cornelio
To amend Chapter 13, "Offenses and Miscellaneous Provisions" of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett by adding new Section, as follows: “Section 13-23 Sex Offender Residency Restrictions." This Ordinance would regulate the distance a Level 3 sex offender can live from a school, park, or day care center.

14. C0049-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Leo McKinnon
That the American flags that are displayed on any city government buildings are worn or torn be replaced, and that if individual residents display the American flag and if it becomes worn or torn to please contact the Veterans Affairs Office (Commissioner Joe Hickey) on Chelsea Street, to have the American flags disposed of in accordance with the Law.

15. C0050-09 Ordinance/s/Councilor Lou Sierra
To amend Chapter 18-144 Emergency or Weather Parking Limitations (a) and (b), and Chapter 18, Section 18-173 Official Traffic Signs by adding to the list kept on file in the City Clerk's Office, the following:
Intersection of Malden Street and Nichols Street. The purpose of the amendment is to establish an emergency artery and
install an overhanging blue flashing (snow) emergency light at corner of Malden Street and Nichols Street.

16. C0051-09 Ordinance/s/Councilors Anthony Ranieri, Cynthia Sarnie and Alderman Sal Sachetta
To amend the one hour parking ordinance by adding 187-203 Main Street from 8 a.m to 5pm Monday through Saturday.

17. C0053-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Stephen Simonelli
The annual Ward Two pothole patrol will take place Saturday, April 18th at 9 a.m. starting at corner of Ferry Street and Nichols Street. Volunteers are welcome. Or, to report your potholes in Ward Two please call Councilor Steve Simonelli's pothole hotline at 617-387-2068.

18. C0054-09 Order/s/Councilor Stephanie Smith
To dedicate the intersection of Elm Street and Birch Street in honor of Mr. William M. Condon. Mr. Condon was a Veteran of World War II and former Everett Police Officer.

19. C0055-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
To have a plan put into effect that would be fiscally feasible to the City to help save Police and Fire Department jobs from said cuts or layoffs for this fiscal year.

20. C0056-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
That the Mayor look into effecting 5% or 5-year buy back that would avoid layoffs for all city employees including public safety with the total numbers of employees throughout the City. This would have to be fast-tracked so that we could meet the fiscal year monetary task of cutting or laying off employees citywide.

21. C0052-09 Resolution/s/Councilors Peter Napolitano and Sergio Cornelio
That ECTV and the Chief of Police or his designee co-ordinate in resuming public service announcements on cable access identifying registered Level 3 sex offenders working and/or residing in the City of Everett.

22. C0057-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Rosa DiFlorio
That due to the increased number of complaints regarding bed bugs in the State, that the City of Everett implement a mattress disposal program to avoid the spread of bed bugs through the acquisition of used and infected mattresses.

23. C0058-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Rosa DiFlorio
That the City Council consider a program to deal with the increasing amount of furniture and other large household goods that are put out to trash by tenants who are vacating their rental property.

24. C0066-09 CC Worksheet
1. Sponsor: Councilor Peter A. Napolitano-That the Public Works Department patch all potholes on Cottage Street between the intersections of Ferry Street and Oliver Street. Referred to Public Works Department.

25. C0067-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Lou Sierra
To recognize the Everett Little League All Star State Champs 2008 with a metal sign to be placed in the vicinity of Broadway.

Adjournment

Respectfully submitted:
Everett City Council Office
council@ci.everett.ma.us
www.You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  4:32:53 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I urge everyone that cares about safety in this city to show up for Monday nights common council meeting let it be known that a layoff to fire and police is wrong. This is a bad thing and there are other avenues than firing residential safety.........just like this piece. I would like to know what other aspects are available than this and where they looked into, by who, and what was the result.

I think the police need to get around the city this weekend and talk with people and businesses and make phone calls.

20. C0056-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
That the Mayor look into effecting 5% or 5-year buy back that would avoid layoffs for all city employees including public safety with the total numbers of employees throughout the City. This would have to be fast-tracked so that we could meet the fiscal year monetary task of cutting or laying off employees citywide.
Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  06:37:48 AM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NEW BUSINESS
12. C0047-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Leo McKinnon
That the Police Chief and the Licensing Board appear this meeting to discuss establishments within the City of Everett that have Police details to be able to be opened and granted a 2 a.m. license to operate.

I was racking my brian to find out what business this would be, so I pick up the phone and it turns out to be Shooters~~ what is wrong with this picture, do it for one and you have to do it for everyone
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  10:16:11 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought heard a while back (unconfirmed) that the mayors brother was a part owner of Shooters, or maybe he works there...........I don't know, I'm just asking.

Is it me....or is this piece not written well.
Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  10:25:03 AM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
first of all I can't spell brain lol it make sense everytime I go there carlo's brother is there now you have me wondering. this is where all the police go not that there is anything wrong about it but you do it for one you have to do for the other bars and I had never seen a police detail in shooters
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  11:19:02 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Charm,

As for the the piece not written well......I was referring to Leo's. I just think someone should be proof reading these before the agenda's go out publicly.

I'm in agreement with you, what's good for one, is good for all. Why would Shooters get special treatment?

Edited by - Tails on 04/04/2009 11:20:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  08:40:07 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Inspectional services reform. Long rumored, finally here apparently. I'm interested in what they have come up with. While I'm glad to hear that it is intended to allow the various departments to work more efficiently and effectively while dealing with inspections, it needs to at least cost neutral, if not more cost efficient, as well. Does anybody have a copy of the new proposed ordinances?

So, on one hand the city's talking about laying off people; on the other, they're still giving out 3% raises? Seems like a mixed message, at best. I'll give the administration credit though, they've been beating the bushes to find money in the budget to pay for their proposals. Raises the same question from the other day again though. Was there really a need to raise all of this money in the first place? I think that the best answer to the question at this time is just to expect them to do a better job of only raising the money that they really need going forward.

I didn't agree with the Leader-Herald editorial from a couple of weeks ago. I don't believe that it is three times more likely that somebody will park in front of a hydrant if the fine is $100 instead of $300. I don't know about the rest of you but, to me, $100 is just as big of a deterrent as $300 is. The amendment to delay the change until July 1st makes sense because of the tiket situation though.

If some of what I'm reading over on Topix is to be believed (or if I'm even reading it correctly; hard to tell over there sometimes), the "Social Host Responsibility" ordinance may be something that is sorely needed.

Remember, the intent of Councilor DiFlorio's intents is not really expressed in the way that this item is written. It's more geared towards people who buy new vehicles, have windshields replaced, move to the city in the middle of the year, etc. I think it has merit; let's see if it gets any traction.

The city already has its share of problems late at night. Most communities are going in the opposite direction, rolling back hours. Very uncharacteristic piece from Councilor McKinnon and I'm not sure why. Though if I had to guess, I'd say that Charm and Tails are definitely on the right track.

Isn't their already a state law that regulates how close of a distance that a Level 3 sex offender can live from these types of facilities? Are they looking to create something more restrictive?

I think that anybody who read any of the local papers this week knows what to do with worn and torn American flags. But since were on the issue of the flag, there been an issue that’s been bothering me for a while. The flags that are left out all night at the Parlin Library and Connolly Center aren't illuminated. That really bugs me. There was a big fuss when the flags at City Hall weren't illuminated at night. These other locations need to be addressed too or the flags should be taken down at night.

An intersection as an emergency artery? Maybe the actual street up to the hospital. The last time that the blue light at this intersection came up, I thought it was a good idea; still do. But since that time, I've had a chance issue to be down in that area and spotted a blue light a couple blocks away from that intersection, closer to Ferry Street. Perhaps there's a limitation on where the lights can be placed? I guess we'll find out.

Sometimes, I think that it would just be easier to make all portions of business districts on the main arteries that aren't covered by parking meters one hour parking. Just an opinion though.

I hope that Councilor Simonelli realizes that his Pothole Patrol conflicts with the Mayor's Earth Day Clean-up. Oh well.

Lots of conflicting information floating around about layoffs in the Police and Fire Departments. A couple of weeks ago at the last BOA meeting, the Mayor declined to speak about any possible layoffs because there were still a number of unresolved issues in the air. I haven't heard or can't imagine that all of these things have worked themselves by now. But, I'm just as certain that the administration would/should have put together some type of worst case scenario by now. We'll just have to see wait and see what the administration is willing to divulge on Monday night.

However, with all that said, I am willing to join the chorus of people who believe that public safety should be the very last thing that gets cut in the city. But, I think that it is unrealistic to expect that there will be no layoffs in any of the public safety departments. However, they need to be kept to a minimum even if other departments suffer more as a result. Can I define minimal? Not really. I think that would be better done by their respective chiefs. If you feel that showing up Monday night will show your support and make a difference, by all means, I encourage you to attend. But, just as important, remember to bring realistic expectations with you.

I have no clue what this is all about. But, I'm willing to listen to what Councilor McKinnon has to say. However, if this involves putting a lot more monetary burden on the tax payer to avoid laying anyone off from the city then, I'd have a hard time supporting it. The tax payer, unfortunately, needs to play their part in all of this as well but they can't be expected to make up all of the difference so that no city workers get laid off.

Why did the practice of running the sex offender information on ECTV ever stop?

22. + 23.
Good pieces. Something definitely needs to be done about these "trash" issues.

Recognition of the Little League All Star State Champs 2008 was an issue first discussed last fall. Why has apparently nothing been done about it?
Go to Top of Page

socks

39 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  09:16:11 AM  Show Profile Send socks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tetris - If I remember correctly, #20 was discussed at a previous meeting and Larry stated that it would cost the City too much money. I believe that this is what prompted the incentive plan.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2