Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Wood Waste
 New Ventures/Crow lane landfill
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  09:42:58 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Massdee,

I think that someone from Newburyport got copies of those documents from the DEP or the AG, scanned them in and set up a webpage with links to all of those documents. I don't know of anyone from Everett who has pursued getting the documents from the state for Everett.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2009 :  12:25:46 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like an interesting meeting going on in Newburyport over the newly opened landfill. Also, between the trucks arriving before 8:00AM - The Saturday deliveries - and their mayor trying to run away to Winthrop, it certainly doesn't look like a good thing for the residents...........who are always the ones that end up suffering anyway.

This just in
Info from Ron Klodenski:

The city council is meeting at 7 pm on Monday (5/18) at City Hall to discuss the opinion given by McGregor & Associates about the mayor's and health department's administrative order reopening the landfill.

The council will discuss the contents of the opinion and its options for action.

The format of the meeting and whether citizens will be allowed to speak hasn't been determined at this time as far as I know. It would probably be a good idea, however, for citizens to be present in case the council wants an update on what is now happening on Crow Lane.

Thanks, Ron.

This should be interesting since different people seem to have different opinions on what the opinion actually says. At this point I would link to my most recent story that was in yesterday's Current, which was on this very subject, but it's not up on line.

Emails have been flying from landfill neighbors, most notably about trucks lining up along Crow Lane before 8 a.m. Trucks are not allowed to start dumping until 8 a.m.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  10:55:09 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From last Tuesday's Newburyport News:

Council seeks say in landfill capping

By Katie Farrell
Staff writer

NEWBURYPORT — Armed with an opinion from their lawyer, city councilors said last night they have a right to be included in the capping of the Crow Lane landfill and will seek more information from city officials to stay involved in the process.

The City Council agreed last night to send a letter to Mayor John Moak and other city officials asking for information and documents relating to the situation.

In March, the City Council agreed to hire its own attorney, independent of town counsel Kopelman and Paige, to review the landfill situation after Moak notified them that he had ordered Health Director Jack Morris to send an administrative order to New Ventures to cap the landfill.

As it is an administrative order, the City Council has no power over the decision, and several councilors criticized the mayor's move, believing they should have been involved.

During a two-hour debate last night, city councilors studied an opinion from attorney Gregor McGregor, of McGregor and Associates, that stated that the host community agreement, or contract, has not been canceled or substantially amended, and that any changes to it would require council approval. McGregor told councilors New Ventures, owner of the landfill, needs to comply with the host community agreement and the administrative order.

While the host community agreement is still in play and gives them a say, councilors noted they are not an enforcement entity and can't order New Ventures to comply with the terms of the host community agreement signed with the city. The Board of Health monitors and enforces the capping.

"We don't have any enforcement," Councilor Greg Earls said. "All we can do is go to the mayor's office and beg them to enforce."

If the contract is being violated, which at-large Councilor Tom Jones said it is, the council can take legal action, he said.

There are "clear violations" going on of the contract between the city and New Ventures, including the number of trucks that are arriving each day and the final grading plan, Jones said. City trees have been removed, and a stone wall has been taken out that served as a boundary, he said. The Conservation Commission never issued an order of conditions for the second part of the project, which is a city requirement for all projects that affect the wetlands, Jones said.

"The city is not enforcing the rules," Jones said.

While it's "safe to assume" the councilors don't want to take legal action, at-large Councilor Kathleen O'Connor Ives said, since they could do so, they do get to have "a seat at the table" and be made aware of the proceedings and progress.

"We have rights," she said.

At-large Councilor Barry Connell agreed the council should submit a notice to the mayor seeking all reports, including what materials are coming in and the state of the berm.

"I think it's clear we need additional information," at-large Councilor Donna Holaday said.

Councilors agreed to send a letter to Moak this week, seeking a range of information, including how the contract is being enforced, how many trucks are arriving each day and their content, information on the berm, the status of the odor control system and gas collection system, and the status of all litigation relating to Crow Lane and information on the chemical being used to treat the construction and demolition material.

Councilors agreed to give the mayor a one-week deadline to gather the material and submit it to them, in hopes of calling a meeting on June 1 with the mayor and all the involved parties to get information and updates.

Neighbors submitted their own memo to the council highlighting their own concerns and observations, which will also be included in the document sent to Moak, including a lack of site security and a lack of signs describing how to file a complaint.

Ives questioned where the trucks are carrying materials from and asked for that to be included in the document sent to Moak for clarification.

"We assume they're coming from Everett; we don't know that for sure," she said.

Earlier this month, trucks carrying construction and demolition materials began arriving at Crow Lane after the state and New Ventures reached an agreement in which a consent judgment requires the Crow Lane landfill to be capped by the end of the year and requires New Ventures to pay $230,000 in civil penalties to the state, a portion of which could be waived if New Ventures complies with a closure schedule and other requirements.

Under the terms of the agreement between the city and New Ventures, the company can bring in construction and demolition materials in 35 trucks a day during the week.

Over the last several weeks, 10 to 15 additional trucks have arrived each day, carrying sand to aid in the capping, something Moak has said is allowed under the terms of a 2007 ruling in superior court. Moak said yesterday there is a "gray matter" in the host community agreement in regard to how many cubic yards can be brought in, something which could probably be debated by the council, he said.

"In my opinion, we are still working within the" contract, Moak said. "Is that everybody's opinion? Probably not."
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  11:42:47 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel really bad for the people that live around the landfill. How awful, and it's odd that the Newburyport Mayor is trying to get out of there mid-term and go to Winthrop.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  12:34:18 AM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
once the lsndfill is closed, the smell goes away......here and there
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  09:07:20 AM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Removing the clothes pin from my nose)....... "Ya, Right". Do I have a "Kick Me" sign on my back?

"Cruller DaHville"
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  09:08:33 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once again, No big surprise here, I totally disagree with you. Your comments represent you and your cohorts spin on the issue. To be totally accurate the smell will never go away as long as the politicians, our so-called leaders, put Thibeault's best MONETARY interest before the people they are supposed to serve.

We, the people, TOTALLY come second or third, depending on who is lining the pockets of the decision makers.

I am still waiting for the hotel and theatre. Oh Wait….. that’s right, it’s a warehouse instead.

Lies, Lies, Lies……….
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  10:41:33 AM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tails

Once again, No big surprise here, I totally disagree with you. Your comments represent you and your cohorts spin on the issue. To be totally accurate the smell will never go away as long as the politicians, our so-called leaders, put Thibeault's best MONETARY interest before the people they are supposed to serve.

We, the people, TOTALLY come second or third, depending on who is lining the pockets of the decision makers.

I am still waiting for the hotel and theatre. Oh Wait….. that’s right, it’s a warehouse instead.

Lies, Lies, Lies……….

It would have been a perfect place for a hotel, theatre, restaurant...or any number of businesses that add value to the community. Unfortunately for the 35,000 plus residents of Everett you and your cronies successfully lobbied to keep WW where it is on the parkway...instead of down behind a sludge facilty where it belongs. Smart move...thanks. Since you are all about accuracy, try this: The short sightedness of you and your friends coupled with your hatred for one man has stunted the growth of Everett for decades. The fiscal and physical landscape of Everett has been adversely affected by your efforts. Thank you very much for that! How can you possibly complain about a warehouse going down at the old city yards? You lobbied hard for there to be a transfer station on Boston Ave....enclosed or not, you succeeded in labeling that area as industrial instead of commercial. You complain about the poor people in that area that have to endure the smells. The poor shoppers who have to endure the smells....then lobby to keep the facility down there. Makes no sense at all to me. Makes no sense at all to my neighbors. Makes no sense at all to my coworkers. Again, thanks for you efforts. What's next? My suggestion....get rid of the tunnel vission...it has already cost us money. It has already cost us development opportunities. In the spirit of 'what's done is done' I'll give you a pass this time around....next time, before your go on one of your crusades, ask yourself if its going to cost Joe taxpayer any money.

Have a nice day

Edited by - just wondering on 05/22/2009 11:02:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  12:48:10 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wondering, do you get nose bleeds from that throne?

Compliance is compliance. The Wood Waste owner’s consistently LIE about being in compliance. There is NO credibility with that man or this administration.

You guys blame everyone else for your lack of leadership. Truth be told, Thibeault holds the strings and makes all of you dance like a bunch of puppets.

He never intended to do any of that, which HE proposed. That was the bait and switch from the very beginning.

If he had complied and enclosed the facility in the very beginning, and not use 9-11 for an excuse, these issues would have never come up to begin with.

He has no intention of following standards that are put before him. It’s his way or no way. Look what's happening here and Newburyport, and when the landfill is closed, he moves on to his next victim.

You have a lot of nerve blaming the people of Everett when this administration went to bed with a person of this demeanor.

If this admin. was true public servants, they would have thought more of the people they serve and less in their pockets.

You can say whatever you want, at some point, you have to look in the mirror.

Have a nice weekend!
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  1:03:30 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just wondering, do you get nose bleeds from that throne?

Compliance is compliance. The Wood Waste owner’s consistently LIE about being in compliance. There is NO credibility with that man or this administration.

You guys blame everyone else for your lack of leadership. Truth be told, Thibeault holds the strings and makes all of you dance like a bunch of puppets.

He never intended to do any of that, which HE proposed. That was the bait and switch from the very beginning.

If he had complied and enclosed the facility in the very beginning, and not use 9-11 for an excuse, these issues would have never come up to begin with.

He has no intention of following standards that are put before him. It’s his way or no way. Look what's happening here and Newburyport, and when the landfill is closed, he moves on to his next victim.

You have a lot of nerve blaming the people of Everett when this administration went to bed with a person of this demeanor.

If this admin. was true public servants, they would have thought more of the people they serve and less in their pockets.

You can say whatever you want, at some point, you have to look in the mirror.

Have a nice weekend!

and maybe you will look in the mirror down the road and ask yourself why you fought a selfish battle with little to no regard for the cities future. I said over a year ago that the piles would go away....the smart move was to plan for future development...something to shape the cities future. Your lobbying efforts made that impossible to do. Even with all of your hurdles and roadblocks, the piles are still going away (as predicted). Despite your efforts to close WW down and keep the piles as they were, the state disagreed with you. A small victory for the good guys. Unfortunately you succeeded in railroading the future of Everett. How do you sleep at night after having such a negative impact on peoples lives?
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  2:11:32 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will revisit the matter on August 14th when there are no more rotting piles at Wood Waste, and the enclosure should be 2/3rd's done by then.

Pot calling the Kettle Black

Edited by - Tails on 05/22/2009 2:38:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  2:45:18 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I will revisit the matter on August 14th when there are no more rotting piles at Wood Waste, and the enclosure should be 2/3rd's done by then.

Too bad you didnt make that decision last year.....we may have had the opportunity to see a modern shopping plaza or hotel on the parkway....but hey, I'm sure it will be a real pretty warehouse.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  3:13:56 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You did predict that the piles will be addressed this year; but, Tails is right. Come back when the piles are gone to grab the credit. With what's going on in Newburyport, I wouldn't be so sure that something won't happen there to bring things to a standstill again. Honestly, I think that it will be tough for them to do anything but, it's not entirely out of the question yet.

But the rest of this stuff is absolutely ridiculous. When did Mr. Thiebault start caring about what anyone thought of him and make business decisions based on anything other than his own monetary and economic considerations. And now, anyone who ever said against Wood Waste is to blame for what we're going to end up with? Please.

Edited by - tetris on 05/22/2009 3:15:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  3:25:38 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im not taking credit for anything....and I'll gladly wait with optimism for the summer. In the meantime....lets discuss the opportunities we as a city have missed out on as a result of this failed campaign (doomed from the start)to rid the city of Wood Waste. I drive by the sludge plant on lower broadway every day...and every day I realize that with the size of that building, WW would not even be seen if the rumored move was allowed to happen. Occasionally, I even wonder what would happened if we worked together with the City of Boston when they were planning their sludge facility rather than fighting a fight that was lost from the beginning (common theme). Maybe working with them would have allowed the city to save some money by using the facility for our own catch basin waste. Just thinking outside the box....
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  3:31:18 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tetris

but, it's not entirely out of the question yet.

But the rest of this stuff is absolutely ridiculous. When did Mr. Thiebault start caring about what anyone thought of him and make business decisions based on anything other than his own monetary and economic considerations. And now, anyone who ever said against Wood Waste is to blame for what we're going to end up with? Please.

Are you implying that WW's decision to stay on Boston Ave had nothing to do with the constant roadblocks put in place by our councils? Between RVC trying to see if the WW issue was enough to launch a campaign for mayor, Marchese trying to get even for a beat down and Simonelli incorrectly concluding that the blogs are an accurate place to take pulse of his constituents....both boards were fighting a useless battle. As a result, they lost sight of the cities future and missed out on some great opportunities.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2