Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Wood Waste
 New Ventures/Crow lane landfill
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

5 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  11:33:38 PM  Show Profile Send 2006 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

And so it begins, again.

Degrading situation at the landfill

All weekend landfill neighbors have been complaining about heavy odors from the landfill and un-returned calls to New Ventures.

Someone has even called Channel 7 news .....

Ward 5 City Councillor Brian Derrivan has written that John Carrigan from DEP is there, as of about 45 minutes ago.

Meanwhile, Mayor Moak has responded to the City Council with answers to the questions councillors have about process and procedures at the former dump.

Of course, since then (July 2) the situation seems to have degraded considerably.

As someone noted, isn't it funny how this ALWAYS happens on holiday weekends?

Ian

I did call channel 7, but they did nothing! It will not be news to them until someone drop dead! I also called COA to see if someone would check in on the seniors that live close to the landfill as it was horrible here a few night ago! I got very dizzy and this made me worried about the seniors that have SOB and other health issues!
The fire department would not check the seniors either! I would like to know when someone is going to taken some real action in NBPT! Sending emails and making calls to the landfill to complain of smell is a waste of time and it has made a fool out all of us for thinking this would made things better!
Five years later our mayor and DEP are still allowing the trucks to bring in crap . And the landfill is now mountain!
I wonder if the owner of the landfill is planning of carving his face in the mountain so we'll ever forget him!
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  7:02:42 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so sorry. The odors here in Everett from Wood Waste are unbearable. Stop & Shop has been complaining and it's falling on deaf ears.

2:00PM on a Sunday afternoon and Stop & Shop was dead. The smell was awful. Yea, he's taking piles out but it's only for his own selfish reasons. Rumor has it he's moving Wood Waste to lower Broadway and we will have a 32 acre DUMP.

What the media needs are people to interview, and that are willing to go on camera. Hasn't anyone sent them the chronology? You must be logged in to see this link. One thing I've learned about the media is the more info you give them, the better.

E-mail the media and CC the DEP and don't give up. I think the Investigator General should be investigating the DEP on this matter. There are a lot of other landfills in the state that do not have this problem.

Perhaps in the future a law should be implemented that you are not be allowed to own a construction recycling plant AND the landfill where the materials get stored. It gives too much control to one person and unfortunately, this person is nothing short of the devils godfather. I think we have enough evidence from this one story to go to legislature and implement that.

Edited by - Tails on 07/12/2009 7:05:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

5 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  10:03:21 PM  Show Profile Send 2006 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tails

I am so sorry. The odors here in Everett from Wood Waste are unbearable. Stop & Shop has been complaining and it's falling on deaf ears.

2:00PM on a Sunday afternoon and Stop & Shop was dead. The smell was awful. Yea, he's taking piles out but it's only for his own selfish reasons. Rumor has it he's moving Wood Waste to lower Broadway and we will have a 32 acre DUMP.

What the media needs are people to interview, and that are willing to go on camera. Hasn't anyone sent them the chronology? You must be logged in to see this link. One thing I've learned about the media is the more info you give them, the better.

E-mail the media and CC the DEP and don't give up. I think the Investigator General should be investigating the DEP on this matter. There are a lot of other landfills in the state that do not have this problem.

Perhaps in the future a law should be implemented that you are not be allowed to own a construction recycling plant AND the landfill where the materials get stored. It gives too much control to one person and unfortunately, this person is nothing short of the devils godfather. I think we have enough evidence from this one story to go to legislature and implement that.

When I called Channel 7 back to see if anyone was working on the story , I was told Hank Phillippi Ryan was checking out the story about Crow Lane landfill. I guess she did not think it was worth her time as I never saw any on the news. Other people had call the news stations and and had no luck ! I really believe it not going made the news until something really bad happen! Maybe if people made some signs and protest in front of DEP and their city hall and on the streets the news might take an interest!
Brockton did this and the people won ! My sister said people were protesting about waste site and people took to the streets and made all kind of phones calls! I was at Taget in Saugus in Dec. 2008
and it was really bad in there ! I could smell Everett Wood Waste in the whole store, and could not shop very long!
The whole North Shore could end up a toxic waste site if New Ventures had his way!
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  11:29:28 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It certainly does appear that a lot has been going on with the landfill lately and it also appears, Mr. Thibeault is not in compliance.

Where is the DEP? Where is the Attorney Generals Office? Better yet, where is the Governor that PROMISED more help with this situation?

AND THIS ADMINISTRATION TAKES GREAT PRIDE IN MAKING DEALS WITH THIS MONSTER!

What's that smell?
Ugh, I reported here, yesterday, that I smelled landfill stench all the way down to the traffic circle.

Now Ed Cameron, Ward 4 city councillor, is reporting his own personal experience and that he is receiving complaints.

Well, as much as I hate to go with anecdotal reports rather than facts, the email chain of landfill neighbors is reporting that maybe New Ventures, the landfill owner, is dumping burned construction debris there.

From a resident on Low St., at 10:04 p.m.:

We couldn't take the smoky burnt smell anymore here at xxx Low Street and our smoke detectors are going off. We called the Fire Department and they said.. "it is the landfill and they have gotten numerous complaints already".. That was the reply, are they doing anything, don't know?? Going to bed will all windows closed..

Yes, that's what got me coughing Tuesday night, as I returned from Amesbury.

Of course, this wealth of information came in AFTER I had filed my landfill story for this week.

I left a message for the mayor, but made another mistake by saying I wanted to talk about the landfill. Funny thing is, that was before I knew about the breakout of hydrogen sulfide that happened this morning when NV was digging the new access road.
Posted by Gillian Swart

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  08:26:48 AM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lets be serious here...... Anyone who truly thinks that the "all of a sudden" appearance of compliance "here" is sincere is fooling themselves. Its nothing more than a prelude to more crap and railroading over us in the south Everett location.

The manner in which he deals with other communities is tantamount to how he looks upon all host communities.

We are fooling ourselves if we believe anything different!!!!

Those poor individuals in Newburyport have lived with this longer than we have and in all honesty can you imagine buying up in that locale and finding out that the value of your property is doomed. I have this arguement with myself each and every day with my home and rental properties here in our city; however, that being said, I knew that Everett had multiple zoning and issues when I bought here. It still doesn't sit well with me and I certainly will not roll over and watch them take my retirement and my children's future away; but it certainly is completely different than packing up and moving to a high end area like Newburyport and having the rug pulled from underneath me.

The old antage is true.... If you lie down with dogs... you wake up with fleas

Just MY Humble Opinion.....

"Cruller DaHville"
Go to Top of Page

5 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  3:02:33 PM  Show Profile Send 2006 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cruller DaVille

Lets be serious here...... Anyone who truly thinks that the "all of a sudden" appearance of compliance "here" is sincere is fooling themselves. Its nothing more than a prelude to more crap and railroading over us in the south Everett location.

The manner in which he deals with other communities is tantamount to how he looks upon all host communities.

We are fooling ourselves if we believe anything different!!!!

Those poor individuals in Newburyport have lived with this longer than we have and in all honesty can you imagine buying up in that locale and finding out that the value of your property is doomed. I have this arguement with myself each and every day with my home and rental properties here in our city; however, that being said, I knew that Everett had multiple zoning and issues when I bought here. It still doesn't sit well with me and I certainly will not roll over and watch them take my retirement and my children's future away; but it certainly is completely different than packing up and moving to a high end area like Newburyport and having the rug pulled from underneath me.

The old antage is true.... If you lie down with dogs... you wake up with fleas

Just MY Humble Opinion.....

"Cruller DaHville"

My son -in-law is bugging me to sell my condo and move! I am not sure who is going to want to buy it when they find out about the landfill! And if I were to move to another town I would have to do a lot of homework trying find was kind of issues are going in that town! I could end up moving to another one of New Ventures nightmare! The guy will have all of North Shore smelling like Hell if he has his way! We have a meeting at 4:30 today , I am interested to see DEP has to say about the landfill! I hope the sleeping Dragon was awake and puffing it smelly head off so DEP could see want we been living with. New Ventures may had put the Dragon bed for the day!
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  4:05:28 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn’t count on the DEP or the Governor to see/smell anything out of the ordinary. I’m sure Mr. Thibeault has been “perfuming” the landfill, just like he was going to “perfume” the waste from Wood Waste before it hit the landfill…….YEA RIGHT. I was born on a day, but it wasn’t yesterday.

I hear there is burning smell all through Newburyport and even the Newburyport Mayor admitted it. That’s VERY bad. There was another landfill with that burning smell and it was burning underground! That can’t be environmentally friendly or healthy.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  08:18:02 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From today's Newburyport News:

DEP boss vows improved efforts at Port landfill

By Katie Farrell
Staff writer

NEWBURYPORT — Department of Environmental Protection commissioner Laurie Burt told an audience of city officials and landfill neighbors that new steps will be taken in the monitoring of smells from the site as well as communication about what's being done.

Beginning next week, the state will place its own engineer at the Crow Lane landfill for between five and seven days a week to monitor the closure, including reading the Jerome meters for hydrogen sulfide levels and checking the flare system, Burt said.

That person will be on hand to control and minimize odors, and will be able to respond immediately when an odor release occurs. Because odors sometimes occur at dawn or dusk, the engineer's hours of work could fluctuate accordingly, she said.

"He will be our eyes and ears of the ground," DEP Northeast Region director Dick Chalpin said.

Burt was in the city to tour the landfill and meet with residents and city officials to discuss the capping and how the state agency will monitor both the closing and the post-closure.

At a public forum at City Hall, the state commissioner answered questions and responded to concerns, saying the goal of the state agency is the same as everyone else's — to finally get the landfill closed.

"On behalf of DEP and the Patrick administration, we really recognize the importance of this matter," Burt told the group at City Hall. "I cannot even put myself in your shoes as to what you've been enduring."

At a meeting with Daily News editors yesterday, Patrick said he wasn't familiar with the issue.

For almost a decade, the Crow Lane neighborhood has been plagued by the smells of rotten eggs and burnt matches produced from the decomposing gypsum at the site. Neighbors have pleaded with city and state officials to get the landfill capped years after it was purchased by New Ventures in 2000.

Last spring, Mayor John Moak filed an administrative order to get the halted capping moving again. In recent weeks, neighbors have again battled odors from the landfill, as materials are brought in to cap it — a problem plagued by the rains.

Odors are part of a landfill capping for several reasons, Burt said, including rainstorms, leachate breakouts, old materials being exposed as excavation begins, and the arrival of new construction and demolition materials brought in to fill.

DEP will also in the coming weeks undertake a new communications plan in response to concerns raised by neighbors that they don't know what is going on at the site or what is causing certain odors to emerge, Burt said. The plan will be shown to abutters to get their input, she said.

A Web site will be set up that will have updates and new information posted to it, Burt said.

"We will be implementing this plan right away," Burt said.

As a "new" odor of a burnt smell has emerged in recent weeks, the state will pay for air-quality testing to determine what the smell is and if there are health hazards related to it, Burt said. The state agency also agreed to do water testing, as well.

John Carrigan, a section chief at the Northeast Regional DEP office, said the state is putting two additional meters in the area, including on Low Street and near Country Manor.

City officials asked Burt what the result of the recent borings test show for the stability of the berm — a pressing concern for the city.

The results have been analyzed, Burt said, and officials believe the berm surrounding the landfill can hold materials with some "minor modifications" to the plan, but the changes won't affect the deadline for the project, which is the end of the year.

"This should not delay the closure," Burt said.

Neighbors wondered if they can trust that the project will be completed by the deadline given.

The project is being done in two phases, Burt said, and the capping will be done by the end of the year, which is the main part of controlling odors, she said. Soil and planting, "the frosting on top of the cake," she said, will likely come in the spring.

"It is a deadline," she said of the end of the year. Breaking it will come with penalties, she added. The state agency's job is to ensure that the post-closure maintenance of the landfill is financed and followed, which is required by the owner.

"That is what we are here for," Burt said.

If financing were to disappear, she said, DEP would step in with funds and take over the post-closure maintenance, she said.
Go to Top of Page

5 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  4:49:33 PM  Show Profile Send 2006 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wouldn’t count on the DEP or the Governor to see/smell anything out of the ordinary. I’m sure Mr. Thibeault has been “perfuming” the landfill, just like he was going to “perfume” the waste from Wood Waste before it hit the landfill…….YEA RIGHT. I was born on a day, but it wasn’t yesterday.

I hear there is burning smell all through Newburyport and even the Newburyport Mayor admitted it. That’s VERY bad. There was another landfill with that burning smell and it was burning underground! That can’t be environmentally friendly or healthy.

what town and state is that landfill in that has the burning smell? Crow Lane landfill was horrible today! I had to cover my face with my hand on Low St. and I saw another person doing the same thing!
And YHC is next week ,the smell is not what I would call putting out the " Welcome Mat!!
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  9:48:36 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The story with the landfill burning was from a Newburyport Reporter Gillian Swart - You must be logged in to see this link.

And the stories here -

As for the story in the Daily News “DEP boss vows improved efforts at Port landfill” I find that a joke.
Complaints have been going on for months. ALL OF A SUDDEN the DEP boss VOWS to improve the situation at the landfill. GIVE ME A BREAK. Where has he been all these weeks while the residents have been suffering and he shows up the same day as the Governor? I “aint” buying it and no one in Newburyport should either.

This quote from the article really cracked me up “At a meeting with Daily News editors yesterday, Patrick said he wasn't familiar with the issue.

"For almost a decade, the Crow Lane neighborhood has been plagued by the smells of rotten eggs and burnt matches produced from the decomposing gypsum at the site. Neighbors have pleaded with city and state officials to get the landfill capped years after it was purchased by New Ventures in 2000”

Where has the DEP boss been for almost a decade? Almost a decade - with the same owner - and no problems before 2000.

Then the very next day (today) the odors reoccur? Did everyone forget this? "DEP: Landfill owner shut off odor control City calls action retribution for latest order." YA think that’s a possibility? May or may not be, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Shame on the Governor too, CLAIMING he was unaware about the situation at the landfill!

One year ago the Governor was in Amesbury and was asked this specific question:

What can you do to correct the mismanagement of the Newburyport landfill capping by the Mass DEP and to assure the same fiasco won't occur when the Amesbury landfill is capped? For example, the DEP declared the Newburyport landfill to be covered by Section 21E of Massachusetts state law. This declaration has allowed the landfill owner to bring lawsuits against the city and is diverting city resources from schools, roads and other important infrastructure into legal fees to defend the city. Can you persuade the DEP to rescind its 21E determination at the site?

And now he acts all surprised? You at least have an end in sight. We don't. Looks like we are stuck with him, and we have no idea what is going to happen once the landfill is capped. No one asks the questions "What happens now" and what where will the waste go. The enclosure was supposed to be built by November 2009 and don't see any construction. Those piles will add up once again. I have no doubt. Mr. Thibeault wants something, and he will get it, then you will see we will right back to square one.

Go to Top of Page

5 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  6:29:44 PM  Show Profile Send 2006 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The story with the landfill burning was from a Newburyport Reporter Gillian Swart - You must be logged in to see this link.

And the stories here -

As for the story in the Daily News “DEP boss vows improved efforts at Port landfill” I find that a joke.
Complaints have been going on for months. ALL OF A SUDDEN the DEP boss VOWS to improve the situation at the landfill. GIVE ME A BREAK. Where has he been all these weeks while the residents have been suffering and he shows up the same day as the Governor? I “aint” buying it and no one in Newburyport should either.

This quote from the article really cracked me up “At a meeting with Daily News editors yesterday, Patrick said he wasn't familiar with the issue.

"For almost a decade, the Crow Lane neighborhood has been plagued by the smells of rotten eggs and burnt matches produced from the decomposing gypsum at the site. Neighbors have pleaded with city and state officials to get the landfill capped years after it was purchased by New Ventures in 2000”

Where has the DEP boss been for almost a decade? Almost a decade - with the same owner - and no problems before 2000.

Then the very next day (today) the odors reoccur? Did everyone forget this? "DEP: Landfill owner shut off odor control City calls action retribution for latest order." YA think that’s a possibility? May or may not be, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Shame on the Governor too, CLAIMING he was unaware about the situation at the landfill!

One year ago the Governor was in Amesbury and was asked this specific question:

What can you do to correct the mismanagement of the Newburyport landfill capping by the Mass DEP and to assure the same fiasco won't occur when the Amesbury landfill is capped? For example, the DEP declared the Newburyport landfill to be covered by Section 21E of Massachusetts state law. This declaration has allowed the landfill owner to bring lawsuits against the city and is diverting city resources from schools, roads and other important infrastructure into legal fees to defend the city. Can you persuade the DEP to rescind its 21E determination at the site?

And now he acts all surprised? You at least have an end in sight. We don't. Looks like we are stuck with him, and we have no idea what is going to happen once the landfill is capped. No one asks the questions "What happens now" and what where will the waste go. The enclosure was supposed to be built by November 2009 and don't see any construction. Those piles will add up once again. I have no doubt. Mr. Thibeault wants something, and he will get it, then you will see we will right back to square one.

DEP boss is a woman named Laurie Burt . She was all smile at the meeting and that alone was enough not to trust her! I never trust a person that smile while talking about something horrible as the landfill! I agree Mr. Thibeault is going get whatever he want and will not stop until someone has the backbone and money to stop him!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  1:15:24 PM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let this be a dire warning to cut all ties if humanly possible with this inhumane entrepreneur. Even after everything we have been through and prmises from the state this still continues to happen.

Landfill reportedly making children sick
August 4, 9:13 AM

Complaints of odors from the private landfill on Crow Lane continue to mount and now reports of sick children are coming from neighbors and others.

Ever since MassDEP Commissioner Laurie Burt on July 21 told a handfill of residents at an afternoon meeting that the state is committed to minimizing breakouts of hydrogen sulfide gas from the landfill, email reports of the characteristic stench of rotten eggs have escalated.

Neighbors of the landfill have an email thread to keep each other, the city and the news media informed of events at the controversial site that was re-opened for capping in late April. A cease and desist by the city and a preliminary injunction by the state were lifted after the landfill owner New Ventures LLC reached an accord with MassDEP and the state Attorney General's Office and the city's health deparment issued an administrative order for the owner to resume capping.

This morning there are reports of two sick children suffering headaches and nausea after another night of odors from the landfill. The odors are now reported as prevalent in the area of Anna Jaques Hospital and the Commonwealth Newburyport Cancer Center, which are adjacent to each other.

Meanwhile landfill activist Ron Klodenski has written to Health Director John Morris to ask that he enforce a Noisome Trade site designation the city placed on the landfill some three years ago. Under the designation, the city has the right to impose a fine of $1,000 per day for health violations that are not being addressed.

Morris responded that the owner is trying to address the breakouts of hydrogen sulfide, which have become more frequent as New Ventures works on a new haul road on the massive pile.

According to Ward 5 City Councilor Brian Derrivan, a monitor contracted by DEP is onsite daily and is placing a red flag everywhere he determins there is a breakout of the toxic gas. New Ventures is supposed to be nightly covering with dirt any areas of the landfill exposed during the day.

The landfill has literally been a source of irritation to neighbors and city officials for years. New Ventures has continually defied DEP protocols for capping, injunctions and the Noisome Trade designation.

Ian
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  6:47:21 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not surprised at all and did not expect anything less. How come when the Governor and the DEP Commissioner Laurie Burt was there, the landfill was fine? I also read that Thibeault was putting on the charm that day. This is retaliation and nothing else. It happened in the past and the state even said so. I checked Newburyport's reporter Gillian Swart's news and she is correct on what secret deals get you.

Shut it down

OK, so I'm sitting here today and I'm seeing all kinds of emails about the landfill - children sick, parent losing a day of work to stay home with sick children, grandparents having to send sick grandchild home because of stench ...

See what "secret" deals get you? This is one thing secret deals can get you - a lawsuit.

And as much as I feel for the people who are trying to save the White Hen Pantry and the people sending a fire truck to Guatemala and all the other stuff people are rallying behind, where is the compassion for the residents of this city who are and have been inhaling hydrogen sulfide, day in and day out for weeks now?

This is text from an email sent out by Brian Derrivan within the hour:

I have a call into Commissioner Burt’s office and just got off the phone with John Carrigan from the DEP. He has assured me that they are working diligently with Shaw and NV to try and control the breakouts that have been out of control for the past few weeks.

If it's freaking out of control, then someone should shut the operation down, don't you think?

I mean, come on. They don't have control over the situation and they don't know what is causing the burnt odors people are complaining about ... SHUT IT DOWN.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  10:33:46 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Latest from Newburyport:

How soon is now?
Wow ...

Just saw an email on the landfill thread from Ron K.

He got a letter from Gov. Deval Patrick today informing him that "Secretary Ian Bowles and his team from the Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs" will follow up with him "directly" on the landfill issue.

He's excited, I'm excited - not sure if the mayor and health director are excited because I don't know if they got similar communications.

oh yay
Posted by Gillian Swart at 4:46 PM

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  10:33:33 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Landfill coverage is national
Yesterday's DEP landfill update:

Crow Lane Landfill Update - August 6, 2009

This update is being provided as part of MassDEP’s commitment to more frequent communications with the residents and officials of Newburyport concerning the capping and closure of Crow Lane Landfill. MassDEP is actively monitoring conditions at the Landfill and in the neighborhoods, and directing the activities of our consultant (Shaw Environmental). In addition, we are closely reviewing complaints, deploying resources to investigate and document odor problems, and providing real-time communications to New Ventures about what we are seeing and smelling on the ground. In addition, we are conducting monitoring and sampling, as described below.

The Commissioner is closely tracking the situation at the landfill, including the complaints, the activities of MassDEP staff and Shaw, and New Ventures' progress toward closure of the landfill. New Ventures is required to cap (e.g., install the fabric membrane layer or FML on the landfill plus substantial loaming and seeding on top of the FML) by November 2009, under a Court-approved agreement. Installation of the FML is critical to solving the odor problems.

A key component to minimizing odor impacts during the closure is to promptly identify any landfill gas or leachate breakouts and quickly repair those spots. MassDEP has tasked Shaw with inspecting the landfill early each morning. Shaw then provides prompt notice to landfill personnel of breakout locations so that repairs can be made promptly. MassDEP tracks and monitors the problems and repairs at the landfill each day as well as progress toward closure. MassDEP updates the Attorney General's office frequently.

MassDEP continues to explore with New Ventures what additional measures any can be implemented to reduce odors during the closure.

Below are some additional updates and/or specifics:

1. Overnight monitoring was conducted in the neighborhood last night, August 5, 2009, using a Jerome Meter. In response to the pattern of recent complaints, MassDEP arranged for Shaw to begin conducting several nights of ambient air monitoring in the affected neighborhoods. We anticipate collecting several nights of data to better document the frequency and intensity of odors. This data will provide MassDEP with a better understanding of conditions in the neighborhoods and aid us in considering what additional measures might be implemented to improve the situation.

2. MassDEP staff and Shaw will be sampling landfill gas today, August 6, 2009, from several gas extraction wells at the landfill as well as the landfill gas entering and exiting the pretreatment system and entering the flare. This data will provide some insight into current gas levels within the landfill and also MassDEP determine whether the pretreatment system is operating as designed.

3. MassDEP has executed the revised contract with Shaw Environmental. With this "Change Order" in place, MassDEP can direct Shaw to conduct collection and analysis of:

(a) ambient air samples in the neighborhoods;
(b) samples of landfill gas entering and exiting the pretreatment system and flare;
(c) surface water and sediment samples from around the landfill, the vernal pool, and from leachate collections tanks.

(a) Ambient Air Sampling: MassDEP and Shaw are mobilizing to collect ambient air samples from the neighborhood for analysis. We are planning to collect samples beginning next week, which will be analyzed not just for hydrogen sulfide (H2S), but for a variety of potential constituents. In the meantime, as noted above, MassDEP has tasked Shaw to conduct some overnight air monitoring in the affected neighborhoods. Last night, August 5, 2009 was the first night.

(b) Landfill Gas Sampling: MassDEP staff and Shaw will be sampling landfill gas today, August 6, 2009, from several gas extraction wells at the landfill as well as the landfill gas entering and exiting the pretreatment system and entering the flare. At MassDEP's direction, Shaw has already begun, and will continue, to monitor the landfill gas at the pretreatment system and flare on a daily basis.

(c) Surface Water and Sediment Sampling: MassDEP and Shaw are mobilizing to undertake this sampling. Scheduling information will be provided once confirmed.

4. Jerome Meter Network: MassDEP has made progress toward installing additional Jerome meters around the landfill and expects to have a total of four (4) meters installed next week.

As Regional Director Dick Chalpin indicated in the prior e-mail, please send your questions, comments and suggestions to:

crowlane.information@massmail.state.ma.us

In addition to these email updates, correspondence and reports are posted in the MassDEP Northeast Region web site at:

Note: MassDEP anticipates sending additional updates by e-mail tomorrow, Friday, August 7, 2009.

Note that the landfill neighbors, who are sick and tired of the smell of rotten eggs wafting about their homes (I smelled it myself, yesterday, near the Shaw's Plaza), are now thinking about lawyers.

A couple of weeks ago, the editor of the Current wrote a piece about the law firm in St. Louis that had a blurb on its website about the Crow Lane landfill.

So now this Simon Law Firm yesterday released some more information, I'd guess in the hopes of garnering some business (one of their attorneys will be in MA soon, or is here already). Here's an excerpt:

"Capping a landfill is not an excuse for hydrogen sulfide releases," notes environmental lawyer Todd Hageman. "Landfill closures can be, and have been done, in ways which control and collect the landfill gas so that gasses, with their associated odors and physical effects, do not escape the facility's zone of discharge."

Hageman explains, "Hydrogen sulfide gas can be detected by people at concentrations of 2.5 parts per billion. I hope the state allows the community an opportunity to review the air-quality testing plan and that the state continuously monitors in all directions around the landfill at detection levels low enough to capture the noxious gasses and for a period of time long enough to understand the impacts."

This release is not only on the Business Wire but is also on the CNBC website. Also our little piece of hell is mentioned on the firm's blog.
Posted by Gillian Swart at 1:59 PM
0 Comments; Post a comment Labels: landfill

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2