Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 General Discussion
 Mailer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  4:05:02 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Puppets, with the puppet master in the middle, and Mangan's new hairdo looks like he's going through a mid-life crisis.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2009 :  11:47:14 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am hearing the mayors latest mailer has had a negative impact all over the city.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  09:43:30 AM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess we'll see that first hand when we see the blanks Deb. I hope everyone realizes that blanking a candidate gives a real substantive message.

Its the first place new candidates look when trying to decide if they should take an incumbant on.

Just MY Humble Opinion.........

"Cruller DaHville"
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  10:04:40 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cruller DaVille

I guess we'll see that first hand when we see the blanks Deb. I hope everyone realizes that blanking a candidate gives a real substantive message.

Its the first place new candidates look when trying to decide if they should take an incumbant on.

Just MY Humble Opinion.........

"Cruller DaHville"

Since you have opinions Cruller, tell me yours on this one.......

How do you feel about a mayor who mails out a flyer for his hand picks on the Board of Alderman paid for by "The committee to RE-ELECT CARLO DEMARIA?

As soon as I saw that, I felt sick. In my opinion, he collected funds for himself from hard working citizens and HE chose to use those funds for his picks at an Alderman's race. I understand it's probably not illegal, but it'd immoral. I have never seen any mayor get involved and try and stack a deck like that AND misuse funds that way. That mailer cost a pretty penny with the colors, how big it was and of course the postage.

That really ticked me off. If I give money to support a person and that person uses that money to support someone else, that's misuse and a lot of people are talking about it, and are not happy saying "Who does this guy think he is"

I blame the mayor for that but I am very disappointed in Mike Mangan and Dominic Puleo for going along and blame goes to them too. Big babies that cant win on their own merits and all they are trying to do is outdo Joe McGonagle and Steve Simonelli. That is not fair and BOY are scared of something. Joe and Steve have all our votes after this latest dumb move. Mike and Dominic will only continue the thread of dumb moves.

Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  11:24:08 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no idea who is running the mayor's campaign this year but I believe they gave him very poor advice putting that latest mailer out.

I can't remember a mayor in Everett ever endorsing candidates for the city council.

It really doesn't sound like he did Mangan and Puleo any favors.

I am very interested in how many blanks there will be this election.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  12:22:39 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we're all hoping for a significant number of blanks for (Or should I say against?) Carlo. I'm sure that will have one or two people realizing they could have taken him on this year and gearing up for the next race.

I agree whoever is running his campaign isn't doing him any favors. Spending money intended to support Carlo on candidates he's chosen really wouldn't sit very well with me. Maybe it's because I resent being told what to do and that's how I would take that if I were a supporter. Then again, it could be because I don't agree with him or his choices...........
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  4:01:29 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was reading something on the other blog that was kind of interesting. Someone was wondering if that flyer could be considered a campaign contribution for Mr Puleo and Mr Mangan. I never thought of it in that way. I wonder what the law is on something like that.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  4:27:10 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by massdee

I was reading something on the other blog that was kind of interesting. Someone was wondering if that flyer could be considered a campaign contribution for Mr Puleo and Mr Mangan. I never thought of it in that way. I wonder what the law is on something like that.

"Deb"

If Carlo wanted to make a contribution out of his own pocket, and mail that flyer out with his name and address, then I would consider that a campaign contribution HOWEVER, he would well exceed the limit of $500.00.

If you can only donate $500.00 to a campaign, per the law, I would imagine it's the same thing.

He used donated funds, that people donated for HIM...... and HIS RE-ELECTION.... and chose to use it to endorse HIS friends. I would think there is a MAJOR ethical issue here, if not criminal.

The State DEFINITELY needs to look at this. I wonder who he will try and call in a favor from the state??

Edited by - Tails on 11/01/2009 4:31:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  9:36:02 PM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Tails, once again your right on target !!!!! First and foremost, when supporters of a candidate dig into their pockets to support their candidate, they have an expectation that those funds will be utilized to support and propagate that candidate and that candidates ideas. Although, in this case, I have to agree with you, we were all blindsided . He had immediate amnesia and forgot or should I say, tossed away what he promised the people of Everett.

However , and this is the part where we all can hold our nose, legally, we cannot dictate how a candidate utilizes his campaign war chest. Once we've handed it over, its his to do as he likes.

In this particular case isn't it Oh, So, Obvious what the circular egomaniac is doing? He is attempting to stack the deck. He has already made good on all the promises he previously made to those Aldermen and City Councilors who voted along with him on Wood Waste, now he has to make room for his handpicked newbies.

I mean, come on...... Puleo has three; yes, count them, three city appointments already. Mangin has two. Mangin has already proven, during the last administration that he is perfectly capable of turning his back on a mentor so now he's found himself a new one. Remember everyone, the one clear rule here is that there are promises to be kept to Big T. If they are not kept, he'll use that paddle on Little Lord Circular (although from rumors around the Brazilian community, he may like that) Who's your Daddy!!!!!!!!

Time is tick, tick, ticking away. People are being investigated, people are being fired and the walls are beginning to tumble down (hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe the Ward 5 Councilor's hubby can get fix those walls too).

When everything is sitting on quick sand , its inevitable, things will sink.

My question then becomes; how creative has Larry been with the books. Alot of spending, WITHOUT the benefit of transfers, contracts, bids, etc.
Tick, Tick, Tick.... the time for answers is quickly approaching. How innovative will they be? That is ONE AREA that can't be hidden for long. EOB has been spending like a drunken sailor and all his buds have benefited.

Back to you Tails...... obviously His Hiney believes his endorsement is a blessing to these two gentlemen. Obviously, that's HIS opinion. We'll have to wait and see. My guess is that the Hinester is going to be surprised by Sir Blanks Alot

Just MY Humble Opinion...........
[i]"Cruller DaHville"

Edited by - Cruller DaVille on 11/01/2009 9:37:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  9:38:45 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been trying to figure out the best way to post about this issue. Due to the fact that most of us that post here regularly could not be considered supporters of the Mayor, I wanted to make sure that I came at this as objectively as possible. So I did what I always do when I don’t know what else to do, some research.

I’m not sure how else to classify the mailer that we received from The Committee to Elect Carlo DeMaria about Dominic Puleo and Michael Mangan as anything but a donation to their respective campaigns. It doesn’t say much, if anything about the Mayor’s re-election campaign. My research didn’t turn up anything else that it could be. If someone else has a different way to classify the mailer, please let me know and we can discuss it.

I was pretty sure that it was legal for a campaign committee to make a donation to another candidate even before I did my research. Though I’ve never seen a campaign finance report for a municipal candidate, I have seen campaign reports for candidates at the state level and those have regularly contained donations to other candidates or campaign committees. When you donate to any candidate, you need to understand that they can spend that money on most anything that they feel will help their campaigns.

The one thing that my research did turn up is that the limitation on the amount that one campaign committee can donate to another is not the same as an individual can. In fact, it is less; it’s only $100 per candidate. This is backed up by the following link to a chart on the state’s campaign finance web site (You must be logged in to see this link.). Having no idea how much a mailing like this might cost, I thought that it might be possible to do it at $1,000, the maximum amount an individual can contribute to two candidates. However, I find it impossible to believe that for as widespread as it seems to be and the quality level of it, that particular mailing could be done for $200.

I’m not sure that any attempt to “stack” any board is seen in a favorable light in the city at this time. I think that both sides in the current School Committee battle would have to agree with that, even though that’s what they both want to do. Yes, the Mayor will be losing two seats on the Board of Alderman that have more than generally voted for his proposals during his first two years office. But the question is what hasn’t the Mayor gotten passed by the BOA in his first two years in office that he has put before them done anyways? There are some things that I can think of but there were valid issues associated with those; we’ll get to some of them later. Other than those, the one thing that I can think of was the raises for the Assistant City Solicitors. But even that got passed after reconsideration.

We like to think that we know how all of the members of the BOA will vote on particular issues but we’re wrong about that all the time. As recently as last week, Alderman Sachetta, who some considered indebted to the Mayor because of the number of his family members who work for the city, voted against spending $100,000 to repair the Florence Street Park wall while Aldermen Van Campen and DiPerri, who are generally considered to be critics of the Mayor, voted for it.

If the Mayor is just looking for things to go smoother with the Board of Aldermen to give the appearance that everything is great, I do not think that is the best idea. I can think of at least three instances during his first year in office where having a BOA that isn’t just there to go along has actually spared the administration from worse embarrassment by putting the brakes on some of his proposals.

The first was the appointment of Erin Devaney as City Solicitor. The administration just wanted this to happen; the BOA wouldn’t allow unless it was approved by the State Ethics Commission. And it seems that the State Ethics Commission didn’t approve of her being both Chief of Staff and City Solicitor.

Next was the appointment of Clayton Carlisle as Procurement Officer. Again, the administration just wanted this approved; once again, the BOA required the approval of the State Ethics Commission since he was also the Budget Director. We never did hear what happened in that case as Mr. Carlisle had been dismissed before the matter could be returned to the BOA.

Last was the administration’s first attempt to create an Inspectional Services Division last spring. Again the administration wanted to barge ahead with its proposal but was slowed down by the BOA sending the matter to the R & O Committee. It is rumored that the administration were the ones that appeared before that committee with its tails between its legs admitting that they were not going about the creation of the division legally. But if the BOA had not slowed it down, who knows what might have happened.

In closing, all I can say is that I don’t believe that you should be voting for a “slate” of candidates. Each candidate should be considered on their own merits and should be the one that you feel best suits your own needs and requirements. In the end, if that turns out to be someone else’s “slate”, so be it.
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  9:59:17 PM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the lesson here is this: The little guy who gives a couple of hard earned bucks shouldn't do so if they expect that their dollars will be utilized in a way that falls within their accepted parameters.
The only financial supporters who can control how their contributions are spent are the Big Mr. T types.
I empathize with you Tails. I truly do. Many of us who contributed to EOB have been disheartened to see not only what he has done with our political contributions but with our tax dollars as well.

Tetts has the legal line down. However, that being said, this type of disregard for your supporters can only negatively affect the stream of financial contributions that flow from this point on.

One other point if I may..... this type of endorsement is many times a double edged sword. Sir Piss Me Off can have a truly negative affect on those undecided voters or better yet, those voters who are open minded to all but the Mayor.

By the way Tetts.... couldn't agree with you more. No Slate Voting for me and mine. Vote the individual; the qualified individual.

The most interesting race of Tuesday, November 3, 2009 will be that of Sir Blanks Alot . No more than 5800 total cast I believe and watch those blanks .

Just MY Humble Opinion.....

"Cruller DaHville"

Edited by - Cruller DaVille on 11/01/2009 10:02:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  10:51:16 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bottom line for me is this, and of course it's hypothetically speaking.......... I am Joe Schmo and I give a contribution to a fund FOR Carlo. Carlo knocks on my door and asks me to contribute to HIS campaign, and I do.

Since I contribute, I like Carlo, but I don't like Mike Mangan or Dominic Puleo. I now find out my hard earned money went to postage to promote those two hand picks.

Legal or not, I have a problem with it and as Tetris pointed out, will not be voting for a "slate" of candidates.

I have never seen anything like this in my life. A mayor should stay out of an Alderman's race and let them win on their own, not crying to the mayor for help. Between the two, they have 5 appointments from the mayor. How many hats are these two going to wear, and all they will do is "Yes" the mayor. We are spending money OUT OF CONTROL. So much money has been spent that has been not budget for either. I'd like to see the "true" books from Larry DeCoste, just like the "true" budget that was submitted. (Yea right!)
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  07:50:09 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do you think the state would classify that mailer, a campaign donation or something else? If a campaign donation then he would be in violation of the campaign finance laws, right? Those mailers well exceed the limit.

There are 18,000 or there about registered voters in Everett out of the 18,000 about 5,600 vote consistently.....if it was sent out to all of them it would exceed the limits for campaign donations, just in stamps.

I think maybe the state should have a look at it. Then it would be clear to all of us one way or the other.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  08:26:20 AM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It probably should have been privately paid for by EOB. His endorsement of the two of them truly isn't a donation. It comes down to the value of an endorsement. So just how much do you believe an endorsement is worth? Then again, we all know that EOB doesn't put his hands in his own pocket; its always the pockets of the people of Everett.
His argument is going to be that "As Mayor", he is endorsing these two candidates, and therefore he is allowed to utilize his campaign money.

The most hysterical part of this whole debacle will be to see these two minions marching into the big blue building every other Monday evening about 6 PM to receive their marching orders. Whoa be tide the newbie alderman who believes that he has his own voice or attempts to utilize it.

When I say "jump"...... You say "how high".

Just MY Humble Opinion......

"Cruller DaHville"
Go to Top of Page

Citizen Kane
Advanced Member

1082 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  10:29:00 AM  Show Profile Send Citizen Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Assuming the mailer can be considered a contribution to the individual campaigns, it would be considered an "in kind" contribution. The limits on this are different, I believe. Additionally, it's a political committee making the donation, not an individual. I'd have to do more research, but I believe the limit on this type of donation is much higher than the standard for an individual.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2