Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 General Discussion
 Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  08:35:54 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What exactly needs to go out to bid in the city? Is it everything that is not done in house? Or is there a money value that decides what goes out to bid?

I really don't know. Anyone?

" Send in the Clowns "

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  6:30:45 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe..........

Under $2,000 can be purchased

Over $2,000 but less than $10,000 requires 3 price quotes

Over $10,000 requires an RFP (Request for Proposal) and sealed bids

I may be wrong but if I am, I'm sure someone will correct my error.

Edited by - justme on 11/28/2009 8:14:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  6:37:46 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Justme. That would make sense and explain why we never hear about certain things going out for bid.

" Send in the Clowns "

Edited by - massdee on 11/28/2009 7:23:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  7:22:39 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this helps, but I love how Jill Barringer's bid proposals are an exact replica of Joe Pedulla's. If you go online, you can find a whole bunch from Mr. Pedulla, but I cant find any of Ms. Barringer's.

How to do business with the City of Everett

Did you know that the City of Everett purchases millions of dollars of goods and services every year? Do you sell road sand, school textbooks, cement, hot top, office supplies, bottled water, food, paper products and more? Do you provide services such as painting, roadwork, landscaping, excavation, plowing, electrical work, plumbing work, welding, vinyl siding, construction design services and lots more? If you do, we may have lots of work for you. But how do you get access to all of this? How do you find out when these products or services are made available to the public? The answers to these questions follow below.

A. Finding out what’s available. This section explains how to find out what goods and services are available for bid by the public in general.

1. Register your product/service with the Purchasing Department.
The City of Everett needs to know what is the product you sell or the service you intend to provide to the City. You do this by registering your company with us in the Purchasing Department simply by sending a “Request to be Placed on the Bid List”. A “Request to be Placed on the Bid List” is a small note on your company’s letterhead requesting that your company be placed on the bid list for the service or product of your interest. Make sure your letterhead contains basic information such as company name, contact person, address, phone and fax numbers. Once a bid is ready to be made public we will send you a bid package. An e-mail address is also very helpful since it would allow your company to receive an available bid immediately. The PDF file we send you could be printed as many times as would be necessary. Send your “Request to be Placed on the Bid List” to:

Chief Procurement Officer
City of Everett
484 Broadway
Everett, MA 02149
Phone: 617-394-2290
Fax: 617-394-2339

2. Look for Public Newspaper Announcements.
When a bid is ready to go out to the public it is generally announced by placing an advertisement in the local Everett newspapers. The advertisement will contain basic information about the bid such as the product/service of interest, the time of the bid opening, who to contact to get a copy of the bid package and other information. Everett has three local newspapers and not all city bids appear simultaneously in all three papers. We try to spread the business around as evenly as possible therefore you may see an advertisement only in one paper at a time.

3. Announcement in the State’s Goods and Services Register.
For bids that entail the purchase of $10,000 or more or for the advertisement of building and road construction projects the State’s Goods and Services Register will be where you will find the advertisement for such services. Here you will find the same information about the bid as you would in the newspaper ad. You can access the State’s Goods and Service bulletin at the website below.
You must be logged in to see this link.

4. Look for the bid in the City of Everett’s web site.
You must be logged in to see this link. is the site where you will find information about bids. Go to the Purchasing Department tab and click on the business of your interest. Once you have clicked on the bid download it to your desktop and print it for your use. This document is in PDF format and cannot be modified. However you can print it as often as you’d like.

B. What to do once you find the product or service you are interested in bidding.

1. Read the entire bid package.
I know that it may contain lots of legal and boring material, but it is important information and unless you become familiar with it you may not be able to provide what the bid is requesting and this may disqualify you from being considered.
2. Comply with all bid requirements.
If the bid requirements are that you provide a bid bond, three references, signed forms, workman’s comp and general liability insurance, etc; please make sure that you do so. Likewise if the bid requires that it be submitted before a certain time, please do so as well. If you are not sure on the requirements of the bid package call the purchasing Department and we will help with the questions.

3. Submit your Bid Proposal ON TIME.
All bids will have a date and time deadline, which we are required to keep by law. Your completed response must be received by this date and time. You will be disqualified if you are one minute late. By requesting that all interested bidders comply with the same rules we make the bid process fair and equitable for all. Aside from intending to save money for the City of Everett, the Purchasing Department’s main objective is that of treating everyone the same.

4. Wait for the Purchasing Department to Contact you.
It usually takes four or five working days to evaluate all of the proposals submitted and select the bid that is the most advantageous to the City. If the bid packages are very large or we have a lot of responses the evaluation may take even longer. Be sure, however that you will receive a letter from us that will inform you whether you have been successful in your bid or otherwise.

C. What if my company is selected as the successful bidder?

1 Congratulations.
If you are the company of choice you will receive a letter from us informing you that you are the best choice for the city. Within days from the letter of award you will also receive a contract to sign. You will be asked to sign six (6) copies of the same contract, one of these copies will be sent back to you once all signatures have been placed. Note that the contract may require that you submit a performance bond for a certain amount or a percent of the total expense for one year. If the contract requires a bid bond please contact your insurance agency and they will secure it for you. The performance bond has to be received by the Purchasing Department before the contract is fully executed.
2 Before any work can begin.
You will need to have all of the bid documents in order. At this point the department head in charge of your product or service will contact your company to make arrangements for delivery. Please follow the instructions of the Department Head. It is the Department Head that will sign off on your invoices and evaluate your work.

3 When do I get paid
From the time that we receive your approved invoice it will take the City of Everett approximately 45 days. After the first invoice is paid the payment cycle is constant and you should receive payment regularly.

D. What is the difference Between a Bid and a Quotation?

1 A Bid is usually sealed; it is for goods and services involving large amounts of money and it is opened publicly at a pre-established date and time. Bids may have two components a technical one and financial one and for this reason the proposal may contain two different envelops one with the money proposal the other with the technical one.

2 A Quotation involves the acquisition of products and service with a relatively low value. A quotation consists of seeking at least three phone, fax or email proposals by prospective vendors. Quotations are sought once technical requirements are developed. Proposals confirm the vendors’ ability to deliver what is required for a specific price. Usually the low quotation wins the bid.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  8:21:47 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure why you're surprised by this Tails? It seems none of Carlo's hires can do the jobs they're being overcompensated for. He consolidated jobs because it was the only way to get them more money. The fact that they aren't capable, or qualified, never entered the equation.
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  8:26:03 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tails, congratulations on your new role. Will you be providing your real name and email address just like the prior administrator did? I think it's important for the rest of us to know that the site is being administered fairly, not just someone hiding behind a keyboard like the rest of us.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  9:16:01 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by just wondering

Tails, congratulations on your new role. Will you be providing your real name and email address just like the prior administrator did? I think it's important for the rest of us to know that the site is being administered fairly, not just someone hiding behind a keyboard like the rest of us.

Just like before me.......

Here is what this forum is:

This forum is open to anyone.

It is here to help improve the political process and share information.

This forum is here permanently.

It is a channel for everyone in the community to express their right of free speech without fear of being cut off or banned for political orientation.

This is a place where rumors and facts will both fuel debate, but hopefully facts will prevail in the end.

Here is what this forum is not:

This is not a place to issue slanderous or personal attacks or threats against other members or anyone else.

I, as anyone else, have the right to my opinion and believe anonymity is essential to many of the discussions that take place on this site.
If you or anyone else has a question or concern you can send me a PM that will go directly to my e-mail.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  09:09:34 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by just wondering

Were you always a PITA or did you grow into it?

Tails, in your new position, why don't you just make him go away?

Seriously............. We don't need to know who you are. If anyone isn't happy with how the board is being handled, they can go elsewhere!
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  11:23:42 AM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Tails!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so pleased for you (and for us!!!!)! <3 You certainly have added alot of provocative and interesting banter on this board. So glad that someone of your ability stepped up and that the board didn't meet its demise as the big blue building wanted it to.
I sincerely hope that you will choose to lift up the moral and ethical composition sometimes lacking in the past. In the past, this, and other venues similar to this, have gone out of their way to deliberately destroy good people. Bold faced lies and untruths were propagated and hatched right here unfortunately. Since that time, alot has been made crystal clear and those people have been found to be huge tale tellers and meliciously destroyed very good people. Many of them disappeared because their only goal was to propagate these vicious tales. I sincerley hope that those unfortunate 'damaged' individuals some day put their toe in the water and reveal the truth. I, personally, have heard those stories and they are very interesting. Eye opening if you will! Those horrific tale tellers should ask the Good Lord for forgiveness as they hit their knees and in prayer. It certainly, was not nice!!!! Interestingly enough though, the past two years have proven that those "posers" were the culprits. But alas, I digress.

MA General Laws 30 B is precisely the document you are looking for when it comes to the the proper procurement in any muncipality. That is why Pedula volunteered to get certified by the state. Since that time, we have no certified procurement entity. As a matter of fact, chcsing from the state list is not only the easiest manner in which to procure; it has been found to be one of the costliest.
"A bill of goods"................. that's what we've been sold. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars are being spent and given to "chosen" vendors on our tax dollar.

Well Tails, again thank you for taking on the responsibility; much appreciated.

Hope everyone had a superb Thanksgiving. Ours was lovely, the wife out did herself again and of course, the grandchildren make every event, evan a simple Sunday, a gift from God.

Just MY Humble Opinion...............

"Cruller DaHville"
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  12:32:38 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tails, I want to say congrats, too. Thanks for taking over the board. It would have been a shame to see it come to an end.

" Send in the Clowns "
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  12:40:12 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words. I believe that this board should stay open especially with Charter Review going on the next two years. We can exchange ideas, give information, and unfortunately, the meetings will not be televised so hopefully this will be a good source of information. It’s not “Mirrorish” or like Topix.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  1:22:07 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know we have many readers. I hope we will see more participation with new and some of the old posters. The more opinions and ideas the better. I am able to get more information from this forum than I do out of our local newspapers.

" Send in the Clowns "
Go to Top of Page

socks

39 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  6:05:34 PM  Show Profile Send socks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even though the Charter Review meetings will not be televised, hopefully many residents will attend. I understand the first meeting left a lot to be desired. There is a meeting this Monday, November 30, at 6:30 pm - 2nd floor - hearing room B. I agree with both Tails and Massdee. The board should stay open - Thanks Tails!
Go to Top of Page

Paul

158 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  9:57:13 PM  Show Profile Send Paul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tails, what does taking over the forum mean?

What are your duties, tasks, etc?

THANKS.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  10:10:05 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul

Tails, what does taking over the forum mean?

What are your duties, tasks, etc?

THANKS.

Michael no longer administers this board. He has moved out of Everett and handed over the reigns instead of closing it. Although anyone can create their own site, I felt it was essential to keep this one open since it already has so much information.

So far the big task has been deleting spam and you also have to watch what people say for liability issues. So, it's a task and a responsibility.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  05:01:08 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure you'll do a great job & this site will continue to be a place we can share ideas & information without all the garbage found on other sites.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2