Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 City Hall
 Trash Ordinance
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Poli Scientist

52 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  11:25:36 AM  Show Profile Send Poli Scientist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, you should all voice your concerns when the public hearing is held. Does anyone remember the start up cost for the recycling program? I can't imagine it being any different.

Sick of hacks...

Edited by - Poli Scientist on 07/14/2011 11:26:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  12:01:10 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that the city received all of initial bins for the recycling program for "free", i.e., in exchange for signing the initial contract with the recycling firm.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  3:29:24 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cozulady

If we are going to use the stabilization fund, it should be to hold the line on taxes. Hopefully this will go before the CC and BOA and give them and the public the chance to see what it is all about.

I'm not in favor of using stabilization for taxes. That fund was designated for unforeseen needs and improvement projects.

I want to see a better effort from the trash company to clean it up around here before we go and make life easier for them. They rush and throw barrels on the streets because they want to end the day. That's because we are last.

Go to Top of Page

snoopy1

64 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  6:05:32 PM  Show Profile Send snoopy1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im all for recycling but I have a narrow driveway and no yard. Im constantly shuffling the recycle bin as it is and just do not have the room for another big bin. The Mayor said using stablization for taxes and construction projects is the same thing. My taxes increased $350 from my last tax bill. Now increased trash fees?
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  7:07:21 PM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The figure thrown out there for cost of replacement is $60. So let's assume that start up costs would be half that or $30. Using a conservative number of 15,000 units (1 barrel per apartment) at the cost of $30, then you are talking $450,000. Since we know that the number of units is more than 15,000, the cost would run closer to $1m. I'm not sure that I want to see that kind of money spent in the current economic environment.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  7:51:38 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you cozulady. I also don't want to see that kind of money spent now. I will have to have more info before I decide how I really feel about this issue.

Any idea when the public hearing will be held? I hope it won't be over the summer when so many residents are away on vacation.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  8:16:02 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm hearing the request will be to use stabilization. It's not the time for this right now.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2011 :  07:27:53 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tails

I'm hearing the request will be to use stabilization. It's not the time for this right now.

Have you heard any dollar amount?
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2011 :  09:05:55 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no idea.... but this will not go over well. We have a 6.2 million dollar increase in the budget, people are getting hit with increased taxes which has to be paid one way or another. Either pay the bill outright or another increase in the mortgage. People cant afford these increases..... and to answer a prior question.....the mayor stating that using stabilization funds to offset taxes and using it for his capital improvement plan being the same thing is not true. He doesn't need to come to the city council constantly, he needs to devise a plan and get an appropriation from them. Instead, what the city council did was approve the 1.2 million ( on top of a 5 million dollar increase in the budget ).....and gave a slush fund to someone with superiority complex disorder.

Lets not forget there was a time not too long ago when we were able to throw away a lot more, and we got our money's worth. Now, services have gone downhill, the company are a bunch of slobs and even this week, barrels were all over the street...BUT....we are paying paying paying. After they went by, myself and a couple of neighbors went outside and the barrels were in the middle of the street. Cars were going around them and we went up and down the street (we did CAPITOLS JOB) and placed them on the sidewalk. I say screw Capitol and any favors or donations or functions they have for the mayor! So much for the mayors office being on top of things and meeting with Capitol for the residents.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2011 :  10:29:11 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot Capitol had a function for the mayor during the last election. It was at the Winthrop Arms, wasn't it?
Go to Top of Page

Linda M

43 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2011 :  11:04:29 AM  Show Profile Send Linda M a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes you are correct, and more to come in the future
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2011 :  1:17:49 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If there is a cash output to get the program started, I suspect it would be offset by a reduction in tipping fees when more waste goes through recycling.

As far as concerns over the 'garbage men' throwing barrels all over the place....IMHO, this is much less likely to happen in the proposed system. It's the lightweight barrels that seem to get thrown back on the curb once they are empty. The new barrels are heavy duty, similar to the recycling bins. I have never seen the recycling bins turned upside down or blowing down the street.
Go to Top of Page

THE DJ

24 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  09:53:11 AM  Show Profile Send THE DJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What happens if you fill the container and you have trash that will not fit in the container? Do you buy an extra container? Do you keep the trash on you property until next week and see if it will fit the container. This is all bull because you have the street people going through the recycling containers now and leave trash all over the place. Get rid of the street people who go around ripping open the plastic bags to get their cans.

Just think when and if the new bottle bill tags all bottles for return these street people will become rich over night just like the tow companies on street sweeping days.
I am against this because of the barrel throwing on the streets/sidewalks. They leave the recycling bin in front of my driveway so I have to leave my car in the middle of the street and move it so I can get in my driveway.
I have seen Capital garbage men (that's the best description because they are nasty grouchy GARBAGE MEN nothing more) throw the barrels across the street and leave barrels in front of my house that belong to my neighbors 2 houses away.
I have called the mayors office with complaints and wala no results same old GARBAGE MEN.

So my rendition of this is a money money money making scheme that the Everett people do not need.

Again just think of buying the containers to have the street people go through them and the recycling bin also to make a days pay with the new bottle bill

Totally against all of this just keep the bags and you will keep the barrels out of the street. Maybe the BIG MAYOR should hold a information class for all CAPITAL GARBAGE MEN AND GET THEM CERTIFIED TO KNOW HOW TO PICK UP GARBAGE AND PUT THE BARRELS BACK WHERE THEY WERE ON THE STREET AND NOT IN THE STREETS OR DRIVEWAYS

YOU ALL SEEN THE COMMERCIAL ON TV

I PICK THINGS UP AND PUT THEM DOWN HE WOULD OF MADE A GREAT CAPITAL GARBAGE COLLECTOR You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - THE DJ on 07/29/2011 10:09:14 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2