Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 City Hall
 9/11 Fountain
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

kittycat

66 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  08:20:16 AM  Show Profile Send kittycat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SO I SEE WE ARE GETTING A REFRESHING 911 MEMORIAL FOUNTAIN IN EVERETT SQUARE. GREAT IDEA, NOT A GOOD LOCATION.

WHY, HOMELESS PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO WHERE TO LIVE IN THIS CITY WILL BE BATHING IN IT.

KIDS WILL HAVE FOUNTAIN SO DESTROYED THAT IT WOULD BE A WASTE OF MONEY. AND I CAN'T SEE IT BEING FENCED OFF EITHER.

GOOD IDEA BAD LOCATION

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  09:02:32 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How are we paying for this fountain?
Go to Top of Page

kittycat

66 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  09:11:09 AM  Show Profile Send kittycat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
STACEY DEMAIRA IS GIVING US A LOT OF MONEY LOL, BEAUTIFICATION PROGRAM MUST HAVE A LOT OF MONEY IN THERE, DON'T WORRY MASSDEE SOMETHING WILL GO WRONG AND THE TAXPAYERS WILL END UP PAYING FOR SOME OF IT
Go to Top of Page

card

117 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  09:18:22 AM  Show Profile Send card a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you forgot the most important part the Mayor is enlisting the services of Katharyn Hurd a student of Harvard University of Urband Design cha ching cha ching. Stacy thought of this fountain ok I believe this
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  5:06:55 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "article", in full, from this week's Advocate. There is also a picture/drawing of the proposed fountain on the Advocate's web site (You must be logged in to see this link.)

A refreshing new inspiration for Everett Square

With the ten-year anniversary of the tragic events of September 11th, 2001, Mayor Carlo DeMaria Jr. and his wife Stacy DeMaria, Chairperson of the Everett Beautification Committee, are looking to add a new 9/11 Memorial Fountain and a reflecting area to Everett Square. Drawing inspiration from the bustling city centers in Boston, the Mayor and Mrs. DeMaria thought it apt to add a new centerpiece to Everett Square.

“We lost two very important Everett people in the 9/11 tragedy,” offered Mayor DeMaria. The Trentini’s were both respected educators and cherished neighbors. A memorial in their honor and in the honor of all of the victims of 9/11 will serve to remind us of what we have lost and will educate future generations forever.”

The Mayor was also quick to add that the Memorial will highlight significant changes to the Square. The Mayor’s office of Community Development is enlisting the services of Katharyn Hurd, a student at the Harvard University School of Urban Design, who is serving a summer fellowship with the City. Katharyn is currently working on the Mayor’s Everett Square Visioning Project. Katharyn brings public and private sector design expertise in urban planning and is assisting with the City’s open space strategy. A graduate of the University of Illinois with a degree in landscape architecture, her current research at Harvard focuses on waterfront reuse and open space development on brownfield sites. Ms. Hurd’s work for the Chicago Park District caught the attention of Mayor DeMaria.

“We were discussing future beautification plans when Stacy brought up the idea of a 9/11 memorial park in front of the library,” stated Mayor DeMaria, “we casually brought up the concept of a fountain, a reading park and different ways to use the common area. A couple of days later we have preliminary drawings from Ms. Hurd, it’s an exciting design so we’re starting to run with the project.” The Mayor and Mrs. DeMaria will be looking for corporate support to construct the entire area, including the purchase of a fountain.

The Mayor has produced a small information packet, which was delivered to business owners in the city and is meeting with Everett businesses to discuss feasibility and level of investment in the project.

“This is a fun, exciting and major change to the look of the square,” adds Mayor DeMaria, “this can also be the kickoff to a major overhaul of Everett Square,. We’re not planning on using any taxpayer money to fund the project. This will definitely be a collaborative effort.”

While the Memorial Park would create a major change in the landscape of Everett Square, the Mayor is focused more on changing the economic landscape of the Square. Mayor DeMaria is currently working to improve the City’s downtown area from School Street, up to and including the Old High School property. The City recently hired the services of the Community Design Resource Center of Boston (CDRC). The CDRC will help connect professional resources to the City and ultimately provide a streetscape study and an urban design and signage report.

“We have some great retail, banking and professional services right in the heart of Everett square,” says Mayor DeMaria, “I believe Everett Square can have more shops, restaurants, and greater use of office space, this study and planning exercise will help us with both the visioning process and working with businesses on the future of the Square.”

The CDRC hopes to conduct community meetings, inviting business owners to share information, ideas and suggestions. The result will help shape the potential design of Everett Square, identifying opportunities both short and long term to bring economic relief to the City. Both the City and the CDRC will lead the project and the City hopes to start a series of public meetings in September or October, with results due in March of 2012.

Edited by - tetris on 07/29/2011 5:09:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  11:29:04 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like how this played out at all. They have been in discussions about a waterfall for a while and there was never a mention of 9/11 memorial.

Do I believe that Mrs. DeMaria just so happened to come up with this? NO WAY.

Your telling me that one person "out of the blue" decides they want a waterfall, and the design and details are in next weeks papers. COME ON. This has been in the works for a while and if it was always intended for a 9/11 memorial then Joe Hickey would have been involved.

So now...ONE PERSON decides what the city does for a 9/11 memorial? Do people see how wrong this is? It's ALL POLITICAL. Why not have meetings and get ideas from people a year ago? All hush hush to the last minute??

There should have been a city wide consensus on what to do for a 9/11 memorial (that would belong to the City of Everett) and not the current politicians....This is NOT political. I don't believe that the waterfall was originally intended to be a 9/11 memorial. I think it's too big for the square and that kind of money could be better spent for a memorial. This will end up being "Carlo's legacy" and that is SOOOO WRONG.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  11:19:47 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there a stone erected down Glendale park in memorial of the Trentini's? Just asking...
Go to Top of Page

snoopy1

64 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  3:09:10 PM  Show Profile Send snoopy1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by massdee

Wasn't there a stone erected down Glendale park in memorial of the Trentini's? Just asking...

The Trentini Foundation could really use donations rather than a fountain You must be logged in to see this link. There's a memorial at Glendale already. It's hurtful that this is nothing more than name recognition so Mayor DeMaria can say see what I did. Has he attended any of the fundraising functions the Trentini foundation has?

Go to Top of Page

makemelaugh

37 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  07:41:54 AM  Show Profile Send makemelaugh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NEVER seen him at one, not even the mass the family has for their Family.

I am heading back to the parlin today as I was driving by last nite I saw a foundation marking there, could be wrong but I want to check it out.

Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  1:36:46 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I moved this thread to under city hall because I feel it's a city hall issue and many that I've spoken with have questions.
Go to Top of Page

card

117 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  4:46:42 PM  Show Profile Send card a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no questions just amazing
Go to Top of Page

cathyk

97 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2011 :  08:15:34 AM  Show Profile Send cathyk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TAX PAYERS BEING SCREWED AGAIN IT ALWAYS COST IN THE END, DON'T CARE WHAT THE MAYOR SAYS..... I'M SURE THEY WILL LOVE A PARK BUT NOW IS NOT THE TIME JUST LIKE THE WATERBATH NOT THE TIME, I HOPE THAT MOODY'S CALL IN ALL THE LOANS I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE CITY TANK

EMPTY PROPERTY WILL OPEN UP NEW OPEN SPACE AND COMMUNITY
GARDEN

Mayor Carlo DeMaria Jr. recently announced his plans to renovate 68 Main Street into a
vibrant new community park. The property was formerly a six-unit apartment building
that was severely damaged in a December 2007 fire. The city took ownership of the
property through a tax-title foreclosure. Once acquired the Mayor decided the area
needed additional open space and decided to use the property as passive parkland.

Using leftover material from the Everett Stadium project, City Services crews filled in the
remaining foundation and the Mayor is currently finalizing a design that will incorporate
seating areas, picnic areas and the City’s first Community Garden. After meeting with
residents and the resident association of 66 Main Street, all are in favor of the small park
and adding nice open space to the area.

Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2011 :  08:59:29 AM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From tonight's CC Agenda:
4. C0140-11 Order/s/Councilor Sergio Cornelio, as President
To accept the donations of $37,500.00 from Columbia Pictures, Inc. into the Everett Park Revolving Account.

5. C0141-11 Order/s/Councilor Sergio Cornelio, as President
That the following revolving account be authorized in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 44, Section 53E 1/2, in the amount not to exceed those set forth below; this account may be collected and expended by the designated City Official(s) for the purposes specified during Fiscal Year 2012:
Expenditure Purpose: Funding for the 9/11 Memorial
Receipts: Contributions/donations for 9/11 Memorial
Responsible City Officials: Mayor
FY12 Limit: 150,000.00.

Go, Carlo!! Spend! Spend! Spend!
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2011 :  12:10:28 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was no planning, no residential input, and this is the worst type of political exploitation that I've ever seen. It actually sickens me.
Go to Top of Page

Baby Huey

95 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2011 :  12:26:20 PM  Show Profile Send Baby Huey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the money was coming from the city I would have a BIG problem with it. But, being that is is coming from private donations I am ok with it. Just think, the square will look great at no cost to my tax bill.
Go to Top of Page

cathyk

97 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2011 :  12:30:18 PM  Show Profile Send cathyk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THE SQUARE WILL LOOK NICE, HOMELESS PEOPLE WILL BE ABLE TO WASH UP HUEY
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2