Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 City Hall
 9/11 Fountain
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2011 :  12:44:10 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would guess at some point our tax dollars will be paying for the water and the city service workers for the maintenance of the fountain. Nothing is ever free.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2011 :  1:06:49 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More donations that we don't need. The donated money will become political and a conflict of interest. It started off with a maximum of $25,000.00 and now we are up to $150,000.00? FOR WHAT??? To put a fountain in a congested area already with the mayors name tag attached?

What the heck is this all about to accept a donation of $37, 500.00 from Columbia Pictures for the parks account?? That was for use of the Old High School and is supposed to cover costs there, not boost parks and playgrounds. If you want to boost parks and playgrounds, use the money for security cameras that are needed for safety. We don't need anymore prettiness in the parks and playgrounds.
Go to Top of Page

card

117 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  08:58:32 AM  Show Profile Send card a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone see the ed opt in today's paper?? what a lie keep shoveling the mud demaria
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  10:30:47 AM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by card

Did anyone see the ed opt in today's paper?? what a lie keep shoveling the mud demaria

Did anyone read Peter Napolitano's. Wonder which one has the most truth.
Go to Top of Page

Baby Huey

95 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  1:35:56 PM  Show Profile Send Baby Huey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If im not mistaken, isn't Peter Napolitano voting against the charter?
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  2:42:28 PM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baby Huey

If im not mistaken, isn't Peter Napolitano voting against the charter?

I think that people are putting those words in his mouth. I've spoken with him and he did not say he was voting against. Just not happy with the 4 year term.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  10:27:51 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by card

When I saw the same piece in the L-H today, it hit me that while the Mayor is crowing about being partially responsible for health insurance reform and how it will save the city money, where is the piece that needs to be put on the agenda to accept the local option that is needed in order to get the ball rolling on implementing health care reform in the city?

It was on Medford's agenda this week. The sooner the city gets to work on this, the more money that can be saved. Though I'm incredibly bad at predictions, I wouldn't be surprised if the piece didn't show up until after the election.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2011 :  11:30:33 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like I was wrong about accepting the local option being the first step in the health insurance reform process. But still I have to ask where the city is on this process? It appears that the savings to the taxpayers could really be considerable. If the city had already set up an Insurance Advisory Committee, I sure we would have heard something about it.

From today's Globe:

Medford

City, unions to join GIC

August 21, 2011

The city and its employees will save a combined $34.5 million over the next 6 1/2 years under a recently negotiated health insurance agreement, according to Mayor Michael J. McGlynn. The new arrangement calls for shifting all city employees into the state’s Group Insurance Commission system effective Jan. 1. City officials negotiated the deal with the Insurance Advisory Committee, which represents all city unions. Representatives of unions composed 98 percent of the weighted vote. The pact became official Tuesday, when the City Council voted to accept the provisions of a state law that allows health insurance negotiations to be conducted through a public employee committee, rather than collective bargaining, McGlynn said. The mayor said the city has calculated that the switch to the GIC system will save the city an estimated $25.5 million in insurance premiums by the end of the 2018 fiscal year. He said employees will save $9 million in premiums through the switch, and from concessions the city made in the percentage of premiums to be borne by employees, who will pay deductibles and higher copayments. - John Laidler

Edited by - tetris on 08/21/2011 4:26:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

cathyk

97 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2011 :  06:54:08 AM  Show Profile Send cathyk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to the Mayor he has secure donations from the business in Everett 110 thousand, I want to know who would donate to a fountain, I also want to know who is going to build it since it's going to be all marble, I can only guess at one person (could be wrong) but my hunch could be correct also,
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2011 :  09:23:23 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's starting already.

I knew this memorial would be political. That's great that the mayor can secure $110,000.00 in donations for a waterfall, and now those names are going to be on a plaque at this ridiculous fountain? I don't care that they money is donated.... it's a waste, and could be used for better things, starting with a better memorial that's not even going to be ready on the 10th anniversary. This really is such a shame.
Go to Top of Page

thiscitystinks

12 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2011 :  10:35:30 AM  Show Profile Send thiscitystinks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I Will Never Vote For Any Elected Official This Year Or Charter

they all stink and ItsoFatso should be Ashame of HIMSELF

Political is not even a word in his dictionary. The Money could be used for better things I agree, The Homeless Bird Bath will be built and it has Rosa's husband name written all over it
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2011 :  11:10:41 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we should know who donated what since all donations to the city have to be approved by the City Council. Unless they're from our old friend, A. Nonymous that is. That would look great on a plaque.

This makes as much as "picnic areas" right near the rotary.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2011 :  10:48:19 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now this is a correct way to honor the victims of 9/11.

It's not the correct way building a huge marble Piazza Demaria and just having a little plaque on there with the Trentini's name, especially since we already have one. That is called exploiting a tragedy for your own gain. If Carlo can raise 110K with the snap of his fingers he should be raising it for more important issues rather than name recognition for himself and the Beautification "committee" and the big donors.

I agree, where is the "marble" coming from?

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2011 :  11:16:40 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Mayor Raises $110,000 in
Donations for 9/11 Memorial

By The Advocate

info@advocatenews.net

Mayor Carlo DeMaria, Jr., has publicly disclosed that he has already raised $110,000 in private donations so far for the construction of a water fountain and plaza that he plans to construct on the grounds of the Parlin Library as a 9/11 Memorial.

In addition, the mayor went before the board of aldermen Monday night to also dispel what he said are political rumors that he also plans to use some tax-payers’ money on the project.

“Don’t read the blogs,” the mayor quipped.

He bluntly stated that no city money – no taxpayer money – will be spent in connection with the 9/11 memorial.

As for concerns held by some that the city will be on the hook for hefty maintenance costs once the memorial is up and running, Mayor DeMaria said that’s not the case.

The city already has a landscaping contract for that area and the water fountain will use recycled water over and over again, said the chief executive.

“The maintenance upkeep will be minimal,” said DeMaria.

The mayor did go into some detail about the planned memorial, supplying each alderman with an artist’s drawing of the planned memorial plaza.

In addition to the water fountain, the project will also include benches, trees, lighting and several granite pillars, plus there will be a dedication plaque and list of donors.

Also being considered – but not yet part of the final plan – is the possibility of including individual dedication “pavers”.

Mayor DeMaria praised his wife, Stacey, who came up with the idea for the 9/11 memorial, and he also saluted her colleagues on the city’s beautification committee, made up of a group of dedicated volunteers, for their involvement.

The aldermen, noticeably impressed by the mayor’s presentation, wasted no time in taking action at their meeting to finalize the creation of a special “revolving account” for the memorial project.

This special account provides a mechanism for the city to formally accept donations for the memorial – up to a maximum total of $150,000 – and to spend those funds for its construction.
The common council had granted its needed approval for the establishment of the account last week.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  7:50:28 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if I should put this here or under rumors. I was told from a reliable source, the Trentini family is not in favor of this fountain, that their parents would not want it. They would have preferred a scholarship since their parents were both educators.

Has anyone else heard this? If it's true, then I think the mayor should probably rethink his plan.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2