Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 today's globe
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  10:47:19 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has it been that long since Best Buy decided to come into the city?
Go to Top of Page

EverettsPride
Advanced Member

1140 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  11:45:17 PM  Show Profile Send EverettsPride a Private Message  Reply with Quote
VP ?? LOL He worked for the Sachetta's at JRS reality.

Sally
Go to Top of Page

niceknowingyou

22 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  07:24:05 AM  Show Profile Send niceknowingyou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, todays globe says it all

headline

LETTER ALLEGES ETHICAL MISSTEPS
Go to Top of Page

niceknowingyou

22 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  07:25:30 AM  Show Profile Send niceknowingyou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EVERETT SCHOOL SUPERTINTENDENT FFF SERVING ONE YEARS PROBATION FOR ALLEGEDLY TAKING TWO AIR CONDITIONERS FOR HIS HOME HIS AGAIN IN THE SPOTLIGHT...

YOU MUST GET THE GLOBE IT IS NOT ON AS OF YET THE GLOBE WEB PAGE
Go to Top of Page

EverettsPride
Advanced Member

1140 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  07:33:20 AM  Show Profile Send EverettsPride a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info I am dropping off the kids at school and getting the paper.

Sally
Go to Top of Page

EverettsPride
Advanced Member

1140 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  08:17:17 AM  Show Profile Send EverettsPride a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Letter alleges ethical missteps
State focus again on schools chief
By Katheleen Conti, Globe Staff | May 10, 2007

Everett School Superintendent Frederick F. Foresteire, serving one year of probation for allegedly taking two air conditioners for his home that were meant for schools, is again in the spotlight.

In the letter, addressed to then School Committee chairman Robert J. Alconada and dated Dec. 4, 2006, Inspector General Gregory W. Sullivan stated that Foresteire and School Department maintenance manager Lona T. DeFeo ordered employees to perform tasks ranging from plumbing and landscaping to hanging Christmas lights at Foresteire's home from 1998 to 2002.

"Mr. Foresteire received such services at his home paid for by the tax dollars of Everett citizens," Sullivan wrote. "These activities were not highlighted in the previous court cases against Mr. Foresteire and Ms. DeFeo."

Alconada, who still serves on the School Committee, did not return calls seeking comment.

The activities outlined in the letter include:

In October 2002, a public school carpenter was ordered to pick up $234 worth of plywood, cut it, and drop it off at Foresteire's home.

From April to November 2002, a public school plumber was ordered to work approximately 20 days at Foresteire's home for kitchen and bathroom renovations. The plumber stated he was paid $1,800 in personal checks by Foresteire, including $400 for plumbing supplies.

In 1999 and 2000, the same plumber was ordered to hang Christmas lights, install a garbage disposal, and fix a heating problem in Foresteire's house. The plumber stated he was paid $125 to hang the lights, each time by a personal check from Foresteire.

Sullivan stated that other school employees also were tapped for personal services, including using a school department truck to deliver food to Foresteire's house for a party; picking up tiles for home remodeling; mowing Foresteire's lawn; building and installing molding; and assembling a treadmill.

"Each of these tasks was, for the most part, performed during the regular work day," Sullivan wrote. "Several employees told investigators that they felt uncomfortable doing these tasks, but felt obligated [to] do them in order to keep their jobs."

Sullivan also identified five contractors who allegedly oversaw or performed work at Foresteire's house and in the same period of time received no-bid contracts for school projects totaling $507,469.

Foresteire declined to comment and referred all questions to his lawyer, Frank Mondano, who said Monday he had first learned of the letter just days before. Mondano called the allegations in Sullivan's letter "old, rehashed material" from the 2004 state attorney general's case.

"The attorney general, the top law enforcement agency in the state, passed on [these allegations] outright or tentatively identified them as bad actions in a case they chose not to try," Mondano said. "To have them repackaged as new by a prosecutorial middleman, the inspector general, speaks to sour grapes for a political or personal setting."

In March 2004, Attorney General Thomas F. Reilly issued an indictment against Foresteire on one count of receiving the air conditioners that were installed at his home. In October 2006, a Middlesex Superior Court judge agreed to dismiss the criminal charge and continued the case without a finding, placing Foresteire on probation and ordering him to pay $2,090 in court fees.

Jack McCarthy, the senior assistant inspector general, said the purpose of sending the letter was to inform the School Committee of "what we found in our investigation." He said his office continued the investigation even after the grand jury indictments, but he could not say whether the investigation continues.

Melissa Sherman, spokeswoman for the attorney general's office, confirmed it received the letter and that the issue was referred to the Ethics Commission. An Ethics Commission spokeswoman said she could not confirm whether the office received any allegations against Foresteire, or whether an investigation has been conducted.

In 1992, the Ethics Commission fined Foresteire $250 for violating a conflict of interest law after arranging for a school department employee to paint a School Committee member's apartment for free.

Mondano said the latest allegations were brought forth by "disgruntled employees, [and] people trying to retaliate against third parties, and Fred Foresteire got caught in the mix.

"All of those vignettes, for lack of a better word, were all the subject of an extensive investigation by the AG's office," Mondano said. "If they thought they could have found him guilty, they would have never taken the continuance without finding and put him on probation."

The inspector general did not recommend any action, Hanlon said. "I don't think anyone is going to do anything about it. It's so stupid that they would put this out now."

Katheleen Conti can be reached at kconti@globe.com.
© Copyright 2007 Globe Newspaper Company.

Sally
Go to Top of Page

Lynda
Advanced Member

1282 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  08:33:41 AM  Show Profile Send Lynda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The inspector general did not recommend any action, Hanlon said. "I don't think anyone is going to do anything about it. It's so stupid that they would put this out now."

His last thread he was holding onto for re-election just broke. I can't believe he would say such a stupid thing!

Edited by - Lynda on 05/10/2007 08:36:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lynda
Advanced Member

1282 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  08:37:38 AM  Show Profile Send Lynda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops. By the way Sally Thank you for posting it.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  08:42:42 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Hanlon calling the Inspector General "stupid?" Why did the IG forward to other law enforcement offices, so they could do nothing? Here comes the spin.
Go to Top of Page

Lynda
Advanced Member

1282 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  08:45:35 AM  Show Profile Send Lynda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No I believe that he is saying that it is stupid for us to be made aware of this. We only PAID for it! He believes that we should have not ever been made aware of these corrupt doings.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  09:02:11 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The inspector general did not recommend any action, Hanlon said. "I don't think anyone is going to do anything about it. It's so stupid that they would put this out now."

If Hanlon is not talking about the IG, then who is he talking about? I've reread it several times and I still get the impression he is calling the IG stupid.
Go to Top of Page

Citizen Kane
Advanced Member

1082 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  09:09:17 AM  Show Profile Send Citizen Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
File under "you can't make this stuff up."

Go to Top of Page

Court4Fred
Advanced Member

1201 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  09:14:44 AM  Show Profile Send Court4Fred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see another meaning as well: "It's so stupid that they would put this out now," translates to "Can't the Globe see that I am in the middle of my re-election bid, and the fact that I ignored these serious ethical lapses in the superintendent and didn't say anything can hurt my chances."
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  09:15:50 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is odd, that it is in the Boston Globe, and our local papers have yet to carry this.

Edited by - massdee on 05/10/2007 09:19:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lynda
Advanced Member

1282 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  09:46:11 AM  Show Profile Send Lynda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understood it as being as Court4Fred translated it but massdee you could be right too. I don't know. It is out there and that is all that is important.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2