Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 today's globe
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Citizen Kane
Advanced Member

1082 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  10:11:31 AM  Show Profile Send Citizen Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Hanlon ever gets tired of hopping around on one foot, when the other foot is so often in his mouth.
Go to Top of Page

EverettsPride
Advanced Member

1140 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  10:17:27 AM  Show Profile Send EverettsPride a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot believe Hanlon's eliquent quote!! I do not think he understands these are not the same charges FFF pled guilty to and is now on probation for. I would love to see the cancelled checks that FFF used to pay the city employees. Either way, they should not have been working for FFF.

Sally
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  11:47:09 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does the amount of School Department advertising in the local papers the last two days explain why the IG's letter hasn't appeared in either of them? Just follow the money...

Edited by - tetris on 05/10/2007 11:51:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

niceknowingyou

22 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  12:53:01 PM  Show Profile Send niceknowingyou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, I agree follow the money gee, wonder where it will lead to?
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  1:19:10 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Districts filling top school jobs
(By John Laidler, Globe Correspondent)
Several area school districts have chosen new superintendents in recent weeks as a busy year for filling leadership jobs winds to a close.

We should be one of these school districts looking for a new superintendent. I hope if and when the time comes to hire a new superintendent they go out of the city to hire someone. If not, we will just end up with the same old, same old................BS
Go to Top of Page

EverettsPride
Advanced Member

1140 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  1:40:54 PM  Show Profile Send EverettsPride a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The school committee will not do anything to good old FFF, They are his hand picked idiots.

Sally
Go to Top of Page

Court4Fred
Advanced Member

1201 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  1:45:03 PM  Show Profile Send Court4Fred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've heard that the school committee has already picked Mr. Foresteire's hand-picked successor: Dr. Stella.
Go to Top of Page

FULLMOON

12 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  3:02:40 PM  Show Profile Send FULLMOON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LETS SEE IF HE PLAYS THE GAME LIKE FFF, AT LEAST HE HAS A PHD!

URASE
Go to Top of Page

EverettsPride
Advanced Member

1140 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  6:56:43 PM  Show Profile Send EverettsPride a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Stella is picked for when his neighbor FFF retires. Not in the event that they fire him.

Sally
Go to Top of Page

turk182

88 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  8:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit turk182's Homepage Send turk182 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dr. Stella would be my choice, what are you saying?

******************************************************************************************************
Money Flew, Taxes Grew, Sludge Too, Hired a Few, Hanlon Knew, We got screwed,
Hired a few more now there is 104, What do we do?

Turk 182
Go to Top of Page

Court4Fred
Advanced Member

1201 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  8:57:30 PM  Show Profile Send Court4Fred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm saying the school children and taxpayers would be better served if there were actually competition for the position, instead of handing it to the last man standing.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  9:21:48 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we need to go out of the city to find the next superintendent. We need someone not connected to anyone in the city. Nothing against Dr. Stella, but he is part of the present Administration and I would just prefer new blood.
Go to Top of Page

arthur

212 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  06:47:02 AM  Show Profile Send arthur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Superintendent accused of using school employees to make improvements on his house
EVERETT, Mass. -- The Superintendent of Everett schools is facing some unflattering allegations.

He's accused of having work done at his home by school district employees.

According to the state office of the Inspector General, Superintendent Frederick Foresteire used school employees and contractors to renovate his home, provide food for a party, mow his lawn, and even put up Christmas lights.

Foresteire says he paid for the work and is simply being smeared.

"This is funny how this letter is very political and an attempt to try and embarrass me," Foresteire said.

Some are now asking Everett's mayor to have Foresteire removed.

"The mayor has to step up to the plate," Everett Alderman Stephen Smith said. "Something has to be done. The people should be outraged."

Three years ago, the superintendent served probation for using school air conditioners at his home.

Go to Top of Page

Middle-Man 1

188 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  10:51:23 AM  Show Profile Send Middle-Man 1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it's not the Globe, but there is an article in todays Boston Herald in the sports section ( pg.39 ) about RVC. Seems he had the good fortune to witness a unique baseball occurrence on 2 occasions. Always good to see a good natured story about one of our local politicians. It seems we're always in the Boston papers in a negative light lately.
Go to Top of Page

card

117 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  06:34:03 AM  Show Profile Send card a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Board rejects budget transfer
Mayor then shuts down department
By Katheleen Conti, Globe Staff | May 20, 2007

Fed up with overspending and the number of new hires, the Board of Aldermen rejected a $27,000 budget transfer Monday that would have kept the Purchasing Department afloat through June.

Mayor John Hanlon responded by shutting down the department and laying off all three of its workers, essentially freezing the municipal bidding and contract process.

The move prevents the city from requesting, opening, or awarding bids, including purchases for the new high school that could delay its scheduled September opening, according to Hanlon. Aldermen who opposed the transfer accused Hanlon of budget mismanagement and called his action to shut down the department exaggerated.

Both sides are accusing the other of playing politics.

"I never thought I'd see the day when elected public officials would put their own personal political agendas before the people of Everett," Hanlon said in a statement. "This is one of the darkest days I certainly can remember in our city's history."

State Representative and Ward 3 Alderman Stephen (Stat) Smith, one of those who voted against the transfer, said that despite Hanlon's assertions to the City Council during last year's budget sessions that Everett would finally have a true budget without excessive fund transfers, this year's budget has increased between $8 million to $10 million, which includes new hires.

"Every single department is coming in for an increased appropriation. Basically, they've all overspent their budgets," Smith said. "I hate to say it, but I feel [city administrators] don't know what they're doing.... It's not right to keep going to the taxpayers. He's hiring people still to this day. He's talking around in circles."

"The 2007 ' true' budget after 10 months has been given a new meaning by the actions of this administration," said Joseph W. McGonagle, aldermen president, who is running for mayor against Hanlon. "One of the responsibilities of the budget director and assistant budget director to the mayor is to oversee the spending rate of all departments.... This administration is using the opening of the new high school as a scare tactic to secure the $27,000."

On Monday, the Board of Aldermen voted 4- to- 3 against a request from Hanlon to use $24,000 in free cash to fund a full-time position in the Purchasing Department and $3,000 for office supplies. The Common Council approved the transfer at a previous meeting. The transfer requires approval from both bodies. As of Wednesday, there had been no discussion among the administration and the aldermen regarding holding an emergency session on funding the Purchasing Department.

Ward 4 Alderman L. Charles DiPerri said he voted against the transfer because Hanlon should not have created a position and hired someone for it without first seeking funding approval. DiPerri said he is becoming more and more dissatisfied with Hanlon's answers over the past few months in regard to budget items.

"I asked him specifically why he was looking for $24,000 for a position when we only have a month and a half in the fiscal year." DiPerri said. "He said he created a full-time position without funding. If he had come before us before he did that, I would've said yes. But it's always after the fact."

DiPerri said Hanlon stated at the meeting that he needed the $3,000 to buy "a lot" of copy paper.

"I try to keep from chuckling at this, but at $25 a case, that's an awful lot of paper. The answers that I've been getting, at least for the last year, have not been satisfactory to me," DiPerri said. "I really have my doubts that they have a concept of how a business or city operates. One line item in one department will not shut down an entire city.... I've lost confidence in the man as mayor."

Janice Vetrano, the city's budget director, said aldermen are playing games and hurting people's lives. In October, the Purchasing Department requested and got another full-time clerical position that was being funded out of the department's budget. Aware that the department's budget was not enough to fund the third person through the entire fiscal year, Vetrano said she decided to do an interdepartmental transfer of $24,000 from her office's budget to the Purchasing Department. Such transfers, she said, are routine.

The Common Council approved the transfer, but the aldermen sent the request to their finance committee for further review. After it came out of committee a couple of weeks ago, Vetrano said the aldermen voted against it, forcing the request Monday that the board fund it out of free cash. Vetrano said the city currently has more than $4 million in free cash.

"We've asked for five transfers and [they] are all [for] things we could not have anticipated last year," Vetrano said. "The idea of a true budget was a true and accurate assessment, but was it a true budget that could never be amended? Absolutely not."

"It's a shame. You don't get up here to play with the lives of people because of personal or political agendas."

Vetrano said bids for new high school-related items, such as desks and cafeteria utensils, are pending and will be delayed until this can be sorted out. Joseph P. Pedulla, the chief procurement officer, said the union is working on placing his two clerks in other departments for the remainder of the fiscal year.

As of Wednesday, there were 27 active bids for items including school landscaping and custodial uniforms, the sale of the Devens School, and the telephone system for the new high school. Pedulla said his department processes more than 120,000 purchase orders a year.

Ward 2 Alderman Jason Marcus, who voted against the transfer, said he understands there were some unexpected expenses this year that needed to be taken care of, but he added there have also been transfers for higher salaries and new hires.

"They told us last year that they were going to have a true budget. Now we're into a lot of money," Marcus said. "You're hiring people, and then coming to us for money. They're putting the cart before the horse. They have to communicate with us better.... I'm not trying to be bitter with them; it's just come to the point that we just want them to run the city the right way."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2