Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 lies on videotape for all to see
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donice

54 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  12:35:19 AM  Show Profile Send donice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everett audit finds $5m in violations
'Public was taken,' city's mayor says
By Katheleen Conti, Globe Staff | April 24, 2007

EVERETT -- An independent audit of city departments released to the public last night revealed wide-ranging purchasing violations totaling $5 million, specifically involving three Everett companies contracted for multiple projects.

The findings had earlier prompted Mayor John Hanlon to fire the purchasing agent, John Garron; the director of the City Services department, Al Borgonzi; and the supervisor of the water office, Glen Garbati.

Hanlon said he issued indefinite suspensions without pay to five other city employees whose actions resulted in oversights that led to procurement violations.

"Real money is gone, oversight was missing, and the public was taken," Hanlon said last night at a special joint meeting of the Everett's Board of Aldermen and Common Council.

Melanson Heath & Co. performed the audit at the request of the state inspector general's office, which had been contacted by Hanlon's administration last year over inconsistencies in invoices of certain contractors dating back 6 1/2 years.

In their review of contracts, Melanson Heath executives said, "The lack of bid documentation available for inspection is alarming."

According to the audit, the three contractors that have done some work for the city that Everett officials cannot corroborate are J. Marchese & Sons Inc., GTA Landscaping Inc., and Everett Supply Co. Everett officials could not locate bid documents for "nearly all" of the J. Marchese awards, including the Everett Square beautification project costing more than $100,000; more than $200,000 for the reconstruction of sidewalks; and Mt. Washington St. improvements in excess of $300,000.

Last summer, the city's new chief procurement officer, Joseph P. Pedulla, became concerned with the volume of business the city did with Everett Supply without contracts or bids, the audit stated. When he refused to approve purchase orders related to Everett Supply, he became aware they were being approved by another employee, Bevely Dorman, the city's internal auditor. Dorman was one of the five suspended.

Results of the audit came three years after an investigation by the attorney general's and inspector general's offices of the Everett School Department found that 63 contracts, worth more than $552,000, had been obtained through a bid-rigging scheme.

The state inspector general's office, US attorney's office, and other authorities are also investigating.

Court4Fred
Advanced Member

1201 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  4:38:08 PM  Show Profile Send Court4Fred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Donise for printing this. This is exactly why everyone thinks there's 5 million bucks missing. There are lies, damn lies - and then there's the BS that Mayor Hanlon fed the press to imply that vendors and employees were colluding to make sure that "real money is gone."

Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  5:20:19 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree.
Go to Top of Page

Stella

5 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  9:05:35 PM  Show Profile Send Stella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
why not Joe Blow? Go back to Idaho.

Stella Rose
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  10:20:20 PM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
JOE BLOWS.... BYE NOW... I SAID MY PEACE I WILL DISAPPEAR NOW. I AM GONNA TAKE MY FRIEND WITH ME.

I know everything Fancy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2