Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 lies on videotape
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donice

54 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  12:57:12 AM  Show Profile Send donice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TheBostonChannel.com
Related To Story

Video: Millions Lost In Everett
You must be logged in to see this link.

City Fires Workers After Millions Disappear
Everett Audit Finds $5 Million In Losses

POSTED: 6:08 am EDT April 24, 2007
UPDATED: 11:30 am EDT April 24, 2007

EVERETT, Mass. -- Several city employees were off the job in Everett Monday after millions of dollars disappeared.

NewsCenter Five's Todd Kazakiewich reported that Everett city councilors and alderman gathered Monday to hear the results of an eight-month, independent audit of accounts that cost taxpayers $60,000 -- an figure that pales in comparison to alleged fraud that has taken place in the city over the past five years which amounted to $5 million in losses.

"I've been involved in the city for over 40 years, both as an alderman and a city clerk, and have never heard of anything this bad," Everett Mayor John Hanlon said.

Hanlon said many city contracts were awarded without going to bid and the city couldn't find paperwork for some contracts or even written bids for them. Further, Everett paid in full for unfinished work and, in some cases, overpaid.

One example of the problems was that the city needed to replace a fire hydrant and bid for the work was for $1,600, but the bill came in for $4,200, and the city paid it.

The audit alleged that three companies exploited the city. They were J. Marchese and Sons, GTA Landscaping Inc. and Everett Supply Co. As a result of the investigation, Everett has fired two city workers and suspended five others, including city fleet manager Tony Latorelli.

"Maybe there are people that did wrong. I'm not one of them. And I resent having my name on a public document, slandering me," Latorelli said.

The five city workers were suspended indefinitely without pay.

The alleged fiscal mismanagement happened under the administration of former Mayor David Ragucci, who is now the town manager in Stoneham, Mass., and did not return WCVB's calls for comment.

It is unclear whether Everett will ever be able to recoup its $5 million loss.

Edited by - donice on 05/06/2007 07:15:43 AM

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  06:32:09 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Donice: As my mother used to say...............

You're a day late and a dollar short.
Go to Top of Page

donice

54 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  07:19:47 AM  Show Profile Send donice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You think so, that's ok. Let's see what happens next.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  9:00:01 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't understand why you're posting news from April 24th. We've all seen it, heard it, and discussed it. If there's something new, we're not going to find it there..........
Go to Top of Page

Court4Fred
Advanced Member

1201 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  9:39:20 PM  Show Profile Send Court4Fred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Justme - I think Donise is only trying to bring up this story, because Mayor Hanlon has denied he said any of it! It's a good thing to keep this front and center.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  05:22:11 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may be right Court, but I don't see the need to post week old news on two separate threads. This wasn't hidden on the back pages, and it's not going away anytime soon.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2