Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 General Discussion
 Leader Herald
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  10:14:55 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone read the "Commentary" in todays Leader Herald. I don't know who has been writing these commentaries the past few weeks but they have been pretty good. It's on page 4.

Edited by - massdee on 10/25/2007 10:16:53 AM

Jack

21 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  12:30:38 PM  Show Profile Send Jack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is obvioulsy a McGonagle supporter. 3 ads in this paper alone plus the Commentary? Alittle much wouldn't yah say????????????????

I know Jack
Go to Top of Page

HereForTheParty

13 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  1:02:27 PM  Show Profile Send HereForTheParty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That guy McGoggle is a jerk off.
Go to Top of Page

Court4Fred
Advanced Member

1201 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  10:06:44 AM  Show Profile Send Court4Fred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am very impressed with the evolving Leader Herald. It's good to see some objective analysis occurring because you won't get that with the Independent or the Advocate. Pandering for the sake of ads isn't journalism, and it doesn't help the city.
Go to Top of Page

Dominic

65 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  6:45:39 PM  Show Profile Send Dominic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a need for 3 newspapers in the city? If by chance there is a charter reform and the number or councilors/alderman is cut and perhaps terms extended to 4 years, would the loss of political advertisements be enough to force one (or two) out of business?

I would love to see a newspaper that does more than provide ads. I would like to see the schools submitting more stories. Maybe even have some of the AP English students at the high school provide a weekly article.
Go to Top of Page

Citizen Kane
Advanced Member

1082 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  7:03:54 PM  Show Profile Send Citizen Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't say that the political advertising is the life blood of the newspapers. After all, elections are only held every two years. So with or without charter reform, as long as these papers can continue to get their regular advertising and some of the required city advertising, the size of city government is irrelevant to them.

I like the idea of having high school students provide articles, or even commentaries, especially if they interested in a career in journalism, but it could be that they'd want their work to appear in publications with some degree of journalistic integrity. That rules the Advocate out right off the bat; perhaps one of the two remaining newspapers might want to consider that as an option.

Great idea, Dominic.
Go to Top of Page

Dominic

65 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  7:15:49 PM  Show Profile Send Dominic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be nice if the next Mayor would do something to close the gap between the city and the school system. I think the city paying for a weekly column (written by students) would be a great olive branch for the next administration. It will be impossible for the school system to raise their academic standards without the assistance of the mayors office.
Go to Top of Page

Citizen Kane
Advanced Member

1082 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  7:34:35 PM  Show Profile Send Citizen Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it would be a great public relations play for one of the newspapers to offer the column to a student maybe as a senior project or something. Why should the city have to pay for a student to write for one of the newspapers. It's a win-win-win for all parties involved to have students' writings showcased in the local papers.
Go to Top of Page

Dominic

65 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  7:38:24 PM  Show Profile Send Dominic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im all for getting the column for free.....not sure if the newspapers will step up.
I only suggest the city sponsor it so there is something that resembles a tie between the 2 bodies. I get the impresssion that the school system operates in a vacuum.....not sure if that is by choice or if a previous administration put them there.
Go to Top of Page

Citizen Kane
Advanced Member

1082 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  7:49:44 PM  Show Profile Send Citizen Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The school system operates in a vacuum by choice and by the fact that School Ed Reform provides for it. Under school ed reform, the school systems is an entity over which no one but the superintendent and the school committee has control.
Go to Top of Page

Dominic

65 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  8:06:43 PM  Show Profile Send Dominic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not suggesting that the mayors office have control over the school system. But you have to admit, there are a lot of ways that a closer city/school relationship could benefit the schools.
I think if the mayors office had a better understanding of the issues facing the schools, there would be a better opportunity for colaboration between the 2. Forgive my ignorance....but...is the mayor allowed to sit/participate in school committee meetings?
Go to Top of Page

Citizen Kane
Advanced Member

1082 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  8:32:47 PM  Show Profile Send Citizen Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The mayor is actually automatically a non-voting member of the school committee. However, no may in recent history, other than David Ragucci, has attempted to exercise that right of membership. I believe Ragucci attended a few meetings just after the superintendent's legal troubles began, but that didn't last long.

I agree with you that a closer working relationship between the school system and city government could be beneficial to all involved, but it would also involve a degree of transparency that I'm not altogether sure either side would be comfortable with.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  10:42:08 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every once in a while, the Leader-Herald is willing to show that they have a strong opinion on something. This week, they ran an editorial about the defeat of Marchese's residency ordinances that pretty much blasted Matewsky for flip-flopping on the issue at the last moment. I couldn't have agreed more. I wish that they would step up more often.

I don't speak much about the city's parking issues. I have a driveway that is usually more than capable of holding all of the cars that may be at my house at one time so the issues don't affect me personally. Although I feel for those people that are affected by parking issues such as street cleaning, I feel more strongly about enforcing ordinances that are on the books. In that light, I pretty much agreed with the gist of Cosmo Luciano's letter to the editor in today's Leader-Herald. However, I thought that signing the letter as "Just a taxpayer" was a little bit disingenuous, even if it was written before Monday night.
Congratulations on the appointment by the way.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  11:26:27 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't sure how I felt on the residency issue for police/fire but I'm sorry that it did not go through. I think it could have been amended but to do away with it all together was wrong. Alderman Marchese was correct that we had a mass exodus and we hired (9, I think he said) police officers from Lynn. We are the taxpayers that are paying these salaries and if there is someone qualified from Everett, I would prefer my tax dollars to go to an Everett resident.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  3:52:44 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally think Mr Matewski changed his vote on the residency ordinance because he is running for State Rep. and he wants the Unions to back him. I am sure there are more residents who are in favor of the residency requirement that vote in the City of Everett than there are Union Members that vote in Everett. I think Mr Matewski's shift on his position probably cost him more than just a few votes. Just my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  4:49:21 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I concur with you on Matewsky. I don't like the way he flip flops and shifts around. He will not win against Stat Smith and does that mean he will be out as Alderman at Large? You cant run for both seats....can you?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2