Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 Keverian
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  5:51:14 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Former House speaker ousted from job after going against Everett mayor

November 15, 07 12:06 PM

By Kay Lazar, Globe Staff

George Keverian, the former House speaker who was a giant in Boston politics for two decades, has been abruptly ousted from his post as director of assessors in his hometown of Everett.

Keverian, 76, said he was hand-delivered a letter Wednesday from Everett Mayor John Hanlon that ordered him to immediately clean out the office he has held for 12 years and turn in his keys at City Hall.

No reason was given for the dismissal. Keverian said he believes he was fired because he supported a candidate not backed by Hanlon in the mayoral election Nov. 6. Hanlon was knocked out of the race in September's primary, the first time in recent memory an incumbent Everett mayor did not survive the preliminary election.

"I am told I may have some rights because he violated my First Amendment rights, and that he can't remove me from my job for endorsing someone," Keverian said today in a phone interview.

Keverian served 24 years in the House of Representatives and was speaker from 1985 until 1990. Everett has since named a City Hall hearing room after him and an elementary school.

Hanlon did not return a phone call seeking comment.

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  5:52:35 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Mr Keverian was fired due to the fact that he endorsed a candidate different from whom the present Mayor endorsed, could this end up being a law suit against the city? Are we, the taxpayers, going to get screwed again?
Go to Top of Page

Fran

250 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  7:17:49 PM  Show Profile Send Fran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If he sues they should rename the school named after him.
Go to Top of Page

H1ghCh4r1ty
Advanced Member

967 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  8:13:31 PM  Show Profile Send H1ghCh4r1ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then that would be two schools.....

Emile Schoeffhausen
Go to Top of Page

EverettsPride
Advanced Member

1140 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  9:40:34 PM  Show Profile Send EverettsPride a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, she said re name the school that was named for him.

Sally
Go to Top of Page

Court4Fred
Advanced Member

1201 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  10:23:30 PM  Show Profile Send Court4Fred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
God love ya - do we really want to rename the school simply because the namesake decided he wouldn't take abuse from this current, befuddled, ill-informed and incompetent administration? Why not teach the school children NOT to roll over for bad behavior?
Go to Top of Page

H1ghCh4r1ty
Advanced Member

967 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  11:01:16 PM  Show Profile Send H1ghCh4r1ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must be getting dopey from all the donuts.....

Isn't the Keverian School already named after Keverian?

Emile Schoeffhausen

"Time to make the donuts"
Go to Top of Page

Court4Fred
Advanced Member

1201 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  06:56:36 AM  Show Profile Send Court4Fred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are right, Emile. The Keverian school is already named for Mr. Speaker; I think the commenter is suggesting that the city rename the Keverian school to some other name if lawsuit is filed. Nothing like punishing the victim, I say! What's next?
Go to Top of Page

Been Here to Long

25 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  07:03:33 AM  Show Profile Send Been Here to Long a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the former speaker should sue and same on those who think we should rename a schooll because he may sue. I think enough reputations have been destoryed by the Hanlon group
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  08:03:23 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read this on The Mirror.

You can't fire someone for an illegal reason....which in this case the Mayor screamed expletives and threatened to "get even" over the endorsement of McGonagle. This can be considered unlawful retaliation or even discrimination.

If the employer acted in violation of a clearly established public policy, Massachusetts courts will now recognize a tort of wrongful termination.
Go to Top of Page

Court4Fred
Advanced Member

1201 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  08:16:04 AM  Show Profile Send Court4Fred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Former Beacon Hill baron faces a dead end
Keverian says feud doomed assessor job

Email|Print| Text size – + By Kay Lazar
Globe Staff / November 16, 2007
He is a political lifer, a go-to guy for more than half a century. Now, an apparent back-room feud over a local election might spell the end of the political road for George Keverian, the former House speaker who was a power broker on Beacon Hill for two decades.

more stories like this
Box District opening
Everett's mayor-elect is off to a running start
Vets celebration at soldiers home
Mayoral races top the ballots
Not all cities find comfort in 'sanctuary' designation
Keverian was dismissed from his post as chief of assessors Wednesday in his hometown of Everett, ordered in a letter from the city's mayor to immediately clean out the office he has held for 12 years and turn in his keys to City Hall.

"What do I do now?" Keverian said yesterday in a phone interview. "I am 76 years old. Do I apply for a job somewhere? Who would hire me? The only thing I have known is government all my life. That's what I do best."

High-profile exits - and entrances - have been a Keverian signature.

In 1985, he wrested the speaker's post from Thomas McGee in an unprecedented upset of a sitting speaker. Five years later, Keverian lost the position and a Democratic primary bid for state treasurer. He went home to Everett and in 1995 took a part-time post as chief assessor, a position he held until Wednesday.

Keverian said he believes he was fired because he supported a candidate not backed by Mayor John Hanlon in the Nov. 6 mayoral elections. Hanlon was knocked out of the race in September's primary, the first time in recent memory that an incumbent Everett mayor did not survive the preliminary election.

Hanlon, 72, said yesterday that politics had nothing to do with Keverian's dismissal. He said that Keverian was let go because his position was no longer needed, and that his termination was handled in the same manner as other City Hall employees.

"He can endorse whoever he wants to endorse," said Hanlon, who leaves office in less than two months. "He never managed anything. All he did was talk to people who came in. He came in the hours he decided to come in." Keverian said the city's personnel officer told him he has a right to a public hearing because the mayor's letter did not state a reason for his dismissal.

"I am told I may have some rights because he violated my First Amendment rights and that he can't remove me from my job for endorsing someone," Keverian said. "Clearly it was a vindictive act of a failed mayor, who is getting rid of a 12-year employee."

Keverian got his start in politics at 21, fresh out of Harvard University with a degree in American government. He was elected to the Everett Common Council in 1953. Lately in Everett, where Keverian approaches iconic status - an elementary school and a City Hall meeting room bear his name - reaction to his dismissal was strong and swift.

"It should have been done with more integrity," said Common Councilor Rosa DiFlorio. "Every administration has the right to remove someone. Everyone knows it's a political job. But you don't bring a man down who has been in politics all these years like this. Just thrown out of City Hall."

Others spoke of the many tax deals Keverian helped negotiate for the city, including one in the late 1990s that saved the city from a $40 million judgment to Boston Edison for improperly taxing the power company over several years.

"Politics is such a tough game, especially in Everett," said Representative Stephen "Stat" Smith, who is also a city alderman. "He has such knowledge of the way government works. . . . Someone was saying maybe he could teach a civics class here. Hopefully he'll land on his feet."

Kay Lazar can be reached at klazar@globe.com.

© Copyright 2007 Globe Newspaper Company.
more stories like this
Go to Top of Page

Fran

250 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  4:47:27 PM  Show Profile Send Fran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's not forget that Dave Ragucci tried to fire him too but since George had got him hid job at the Dept. of Welfare, he kept him. I don't agree with the way it happened, not htat it happened. Also, at 72 with the State pension he's receiving. I wouldn't be concerned about him not being able to find a job. No tears here.
Go to Top of Page

H1ghCh4r1ty
Advanced Member

967 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  6:30:39 PM  Show Profile Send H1ghCh4r1ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"He never managed anything. All he did was talk to people who came in. He came in the hours he decided to come in." --Hanlon quote about George.

Sounds like he's describing the Archivist(wink, wink)and chauffeur, Jack Doyle as well.

Carlo will keep Hanlon's best friend, "Do Nothing Jack the Hack", at Donut Hall. I understand he needs another year to be vested.

It's only another years salary folks, there's all kinds of free cash at Donut Hall. Our taxes will will only increase just a little, don't worry about it.

What a vindictive action against George by Mayor Lame Duck. No wisequacks, please.....

Emile Schoeffhausen

"Time to make the donuts"
Go to Top of Page

Court4Fred
Advanced Member

1201 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  9:19:21 PM  Show Profile Send Court4Fred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fran - you are pretty cold, aren't you? Some people can't retire; it's not good for them emotionally or physically. BTW, you are aware that age discrimination is against the law? I mean there've been Hanlonites out here criticizing Mr. Keverian for being "old" and unwell." Hmmmm, sounds like they still haven't learned the rules yet...because the ADA will prohibit a firing decision when adequate and reasonable supports haven't been provided to elevate performance. I think George has Hanlon (and unfortunately, the city) by the short hairs. I think the Massachusetts courts, which are notoriously liberal, are going to take a very dim view of Mr. Hanlon's behavior, which has been extremely unprofessional.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2